• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

any tips on keeping a balanced happy boarding barn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any tips on keeping a balanced happy boarding barn?

I get to see different kinds of places when I go to massage horses and got to wondering if there are any good tips for having a nice mix of folks at a boarding barn that make it a happy place to be for all?
    Some places clearly have a 'program' and you are either 'in' or 'out'. Some have NO program. Is there a balance to be struck or is it whatever works for the BO?
    After all the boarding horror threads I've read on here, sometimes I wonder if it's even POSSIBLE to have a happy boarding barn without us/them situations....
    Sheri
    www.onthemuscle.com
    www.cafepress.com/onthemuscle

At the barn where I board, boarders who, shall we say, detracted substantially from domestic tranquility, have in the past been asked to leave. The BO & BM don't put up with it. People follow the rules, are respectful of others, clean up after themselves, don't take stuff, and life is good. There is a wait list for stalls. Anyone who might have dramatic tendencies knows, in the back of their mind, that if they were to really piss off the BO or another boarder for something dumb, that they could be shopping for another place to keep their horse.

I think that when BO / BM have a reputation for not tolerating nonsense, less nonsense happens.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

I find that regardless of discipline or mix of disciplines, the thing that makes barns harmonious is Posted Rules.

When expectations are explicit and clear, things tend to go well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sdhaurmsmom View Post
        I find that regardless of discipline or mix of disciplines, the thing that makes barns harmonious is Posted Rules.

When expectations are explicit and clear, things tend to go well.
        And quick, fair enforcement of them.
        My BO is a no-nonsense business woman who generally minds her own business and doesn't meddle. She is a very knowledgeable and experienced horsewoman and will offer advice when asked. She's quick to say, "Clean that up." or "don't do that" if people start to get a little off track, even to her own daughter, the BM.

Keeping boundaries clear goes a very long way toward ensuring harmony.

Comment

When someone new comes in my boss always tells them he always wants to smile when he sees their car pull in the driveway. I like that philosophy.

We've been very lucky with our boarders, all go out of their way to help each other and support each other. I can only remember one person being asked to leave and that was many years ago. Drama and bad attitudes are just not tolerated and if someone has an issue we expect them to act like adults and figure out a solution. So far so good.
          Funbonnets.com

Comment

I've been in 3 successful boarding barns.
            One I was at for 12 years and basically I was the only active boarder. And she screens big time on who she allows in. She is also a good judge of character. She also communicated really well her way of doing things. Quite of few of them were very old fashioned and cumbersome. I informed of new easier ways but she didn't want to do it any other way. I was fine with it because I just wanted to make life easier for her.
            Another was a dressage barn with my trainer on premises. And it was only that trainer's students there. She was the gate keeper on who was allowed in. So it was all dq's who had a great sense of humor. We had some really nit-picky rules like we had to clean our tack after every ride. But again, didn't mind and should be doing it anyway.
            Another was owned and run by trainer. Talk about particular! Her barn, her rules and learned a lot about thorough care of a horse. She had to kick a few people out, particularly young riders. They came through recommendations but some just were too immature and too spoiled and she would have none of it. She wasn't there to cater. You work hard, you play hard.
            Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Comment

Yes.
              Kick out all the boarders and keep the barn for yourself.

With horse people around there will ALWAYS be drama. If you don't have a problem with the other boarders, then there will be a problem with the BO, and if you don't have a problem with the BO, there will be a problem with the BM or the barn help. It never ends.

The reason there is so much drama is that every horse person thinks that they are right, you are wrong, end of discussion.

It gets really, really old and takes the joy out of spending time with your horses.

Hence the reason why my horses now live at home...and its just me...NO BOARDERS! I love to be able to say "No" when people ask me if I board!

Comment

it seems to me thru my yrs of experience that to have a successful barn you need to either have a) no barn trainer/anyone can bring in their own trainer OR b) one barn trainer and everyone rides w/him/her. otherwise there's just going to be problems. can you tell i'm going thru a really hard time of barn drama right now~
                My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Comment

Make sure everyone is the same discipline. Mixing them in the same barn often causes problems.

Get rid of negtive people/trouble makers right away. It spreads fast.

Comment

Boarding doesn't have to be so hellish, and it makes me sad when others spoil it for those of us who are never going to buy their own place. Don't give up on all of us, please.

My barn is one of those where anyone can bring any trainer, and the only requirement is adherence to safety rules, hours, picking up after yourself, and signed releases.

Comment

I board at a small barn where the BO is also a trainer. BUT we are not required to train with her and she has no problem if we use someone else or in addition to her.... The rules are pretty simple, be courteous, clean up after yourself AND safety for horse and rider! I LOVE going to my barn and even spend time just sitting there in the evening or early morning to enjoy the quiet. Anyone who is a drama queen or does not fit in is asked to leave. I am alawys amazed when I read about all the board drama and then go back to my barn and hug my BO/trainer So the answer is YES, there are barns out there where is is nice and enjoyable...
                      We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Comment

1) Create a clear set of rules and expectations that apply to all-- from trainers to once-a-week lesson students.

2) Make sure the BO/BM communicates directly with boarders-- all of them--. I think much drama get started by boarders comparing notes or questioning barn policies among themselves. As I long-time boarder, I have learned that nothing works except speaking directly to the person in charge of feeding, blanketing, bedding, footing, whatever. If I want to bitch, I can seek out other boarders but that's ultimately unsatisfying. If I want a change, I can see the person in charge.

3) A corrolary to 2: The BO/BM needs to be accessible and equally so to all.
                        The armchair saddler
                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I agree & disagree with some of these suggestions. I like to feel that we have a very harmonious barn full of people from all walks/all disciplines with one thing in common - no DRAMA!!

I am upfront with people about what I provide and what I don't. If someone wants to board and immediate has a list of "do you's" - I don't. I never worry about filling empty stalls and I screen those who want to come.

I have one rule - be happy. If you're not, don't expect the barn to turn upside down to become what you want it to be - find a barn that suits you instead. Everyone will thank you for it in the long run!
                          "A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority." Rick Warren

Comment

Every barn has its own personality, and I believe that people seek their level.

At our place, we have a great group of people that like to be together, horse around, fiddle with their horses, and just enjoy the place. As the BO, I have a mental model of a sanctuary: a place where people want to be to escape from all the hassles of 'real life.' Everything we do is geared towards creating that feel... and so far, it's working.

We have had a couple folks who just don't fit. Either they need more snob appeal, too show-obsessed to enjoy the more relaxed horsitude here, or they 'don't get' our clearly written (board contract and stable rules) and pleasantly enforced rules. They odd fits have moved on and we seem to stay on friendly terms in our very snug neighborhood that has quite a number of farms.

Bottom line is, I have had horses a long time, always a couple at home and something off here or there in training. So, wide exposure to horsekeeping, although I have learned a tremendous amount since we bought our 50 head place. When I go for a stroll around our place, I would board here.

It's clean, priced reasonably, and we offer a lot of small amenities that most boarding stables in our area don't even think of: water cooler, grazing areas, newsletter of activities, blanket laundry scheduling, hooks everywhere you'd ever want to hang something, warm water wash racks, lights for those who come after work, lots of parking, CLEAN restrooms, continuously upgrading and maintaining the place, great arenas that get watered twice a day if needed... there's just a good feng shui or zen feeling to the place... but it's conscious on our part to make it that way.

There is no best barn, no best trainer... but if potential boarders and BO's are honest and do their homework on each other, then most of the time, the right people end up at the right barn.

Comment

I have run boarding barns for nearly 30 years. I have developed a policy of never having an open stall for someone who just happens along. WHY? Well they are coming from somewhere with some reason and they are dissatisfied already. They are either the problem, part of the problem or running from a problem. They have to #1 Schedule an appointment to view my facility. #2 Sit down and tell me about themselves, their horse and their needs. IF they show up sans appointment and expect me to drop everything and accommodate them I know they are too high maintenance so they will never get in here.

Harmony starts by careful screening. Letting a new person and horse in changes the balance. I am well aware that new people effect my precious boarders and they are entitled to their comfort!

Harmony is retained by a few simple unbreakable rules.

Harmony is retained by providing a standard of care as set forth in writing and meeting that standard.

Harmony remains when everyone's expectations are met. INCLUDING Mine!

Dis Harmony means immediate action is required. Direct and to the point! NO GOSSIP is tolerated at my stables EVER!

I am in the stables constantly and consistently. I hear every thing. I do everything. When I get a bad apple I address it. If the standard is not met they must board elsewhere.

The major pet peeves of missing/borrowed stuff I do the following.#1 I Provide fly spray - use it that is what it is there for. There is shampoo, conditioner, show sheen and detangler in the wash stall use it . NEVER EVER borrow another boarders if you do you must leave(unless you have permission). #2 Equipment. My schooling stuff is there for you to use. You must replace it if you break it and put it back where you found it when you are done with it.

That has mitigated the "So & So took my stuff" problem - I never have that happen any more - not for years.

My boarders live in harmony here. I expect it I deliver it. They are 80' feet from my home without harmony I would go crazy! If I ever have a boarder show up that makes me want to go inside or get a pit in my stomach I ask them to leave - i know it is not going well for them either.
                              "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

The best boarding place I was at management wise was VERY laid back. There was no program, all trainers were welcome, boarders could bring in any professional they wanted, and the number of boarders was limited to what the arena and management could handle. You also had to be approved, which meant the BO had to LIKE YOU, lol. If you rubbed him the wrong way, he was suddenly "full" and had no openings .

There was also no communal tack room. We each had our own "area" in a covered "mini-barn" outside each paddock. The barn was only used for layups or injuries. Only adults or supervised kids were allowed to board, no teenagers on their own.
                                "To be an equestrian in the classical sense is not just to be a rider.
                                It is a position in life." --Charles de Kunffy

Comment

Originally posted by slpeders View Post
                                  After all the boarding horror threads I've read on here, sometimes I wonder if it's even POSSIBLE to have a happy boarding barn without us/them situations....
                                  Prozac.

Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                  Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                  -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Original Poster

Great feedback so far -- thanks everyone. I kind of wondered for a moment if Miss Motivation was my BO! That's her "mental model" too -- this should be your happy place. Sadly, some folks define happiness as "I do what I want and YOU do what I want."
                                    One of the biggest issues is with a trainer feeling proprietary about the place and making decisions, giving directives, etc, as if she was the BO. Is it possible to structure the environment so no one person can take control? maybe by restricting the hours for lessons/number of lessons or something?
                                    Sheri
                                    www.onthemuscle.com
                                    www.cafepress.com/onthemuscle

Comment

The way to keep a trainer from taking over is to tell them, as the BM, that taking over is not their role. Trying to do it roundabout, via rules, I don't think would work.

Comment

Trainer can't date the customers...boy have I seen thing go South in a hurry when that happens!

Comment

Working...
                                        X