• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Multi-discipline boarding stables?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-discipline boarding stables?

How many of you riding at stables where there is a concentration of more than one or two disciplines? How does it work for you or your stable?

I ask because I am used to boarding at stables that are primarily dressage, and a few years ago I moved to one that is about 65% percent hunter/jumpers riders, and then the rest of us are dressage/pleasure riders. Sometimes the fences and courses are left put out, and this creates issues with the dressage riders who love to circle (), or the hunter/jumpers moan about having to put away said fences after every lesson day. It also does create a bit of a split between barn folks.

Would love to hear other people's experiences!
    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

I've NEVER been at a barn that was all one discipline, that would just be too weird for me!

The barn I'm at now.. I'd say is predominantly Dressage folks, some jumpers/eventers/hunters, and a handful of western folks.

The barn I'm at during the school year (college student) is predominantly western riders (pleasure/trail, then WP, then reining), a few Dressage riders, a few jumpers, and a Saddleseat rider as well. Variety is the spice of life!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

Yeah my barn is mainly eventers with some western thrown in for good measure. No offense but how in tune can you be with your horse if you can't circle around jumps? I understand the need to practice a test in an open arena but other than that I would think the two disciplines can multi-task without too much of an issue.
      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

I've been at a handful of barns that had multiple disciplines. Generally the rule was that if you put it up you take it down. That went for barrels, jumps, ground poles, gates, whatever.

If you're the first to get there and you set up a course or you set up a trail course or you set up barrels, fine. You were there first. Most folks will ask others who show up, "hey, is it cool if I school this and then I'll put it away?"

It has always been in the rules where I've boarded. If there's some disagreement on the rules and etiquette where you are, I'd ask the BO.

One of the things I've found recently is that I tend to defer to whomever was there first. That means that if some parelli person is there doing free longe work, I may not even RIDE because I don't want to interrupt. Or if someone is giving a lesson, I'll skip riding then too. When I talked to BO, I was informed, "YOU PAY FOR THIS ARENA. YOU GET TO USE IT. And if you have any trouble, you tell me. I will make it right."

So...maybe it's different at every barn. As someone who likes to jump, I wouldn't think of leaving my stuff up in other people's way.

However...for the record, even H/J folks do 10 and 20 m circles. Around jumps. I don't think it should be that hard for folks to utilize and share an arena if they are TRYING to share.
        A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

• Original Poster

lol, it was a joke. I CAN circle around fences, but it is very hard to do serpentines, quarter lines, center lines, spiral in/out, etc, when there are fences left up in a course format.

Comment

I'm an eventer at a barn with mostly pleasure and trail riders (one other eventer, but she's not riding much at the moment). When I jump, I take down my jumps when I'm done, just out of respect for the others. It's not such a big deal.

Of course, when I was at a primarily event barn (out of coincidence, not design - though we were remarkably good at covertly converting those of other disciplines who moved in.... ), we left the jumps up pretty much all the time, and didn't have a problem doing our dressage around them.
            Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

I'm the only one that really jumps at my barn out of 17 horses. We have a couple dressage, some young horses who are just getting started, and the rest are pleasure. If we use jumps in the indoor then they have to be taken down after. BO, however, keeps a full course set up outside. Her rule is that it's not supposed to be moved but b/c I'm the only one that jumps there's no problem with me moving stuff around. The other girl that jumps sometimes will NOT ride outside. Our outdoor is hard to describe... it's like two arenas in one. It's kind of t-shaped and the top part of the "t" is a regulation sized dressage arena. We never bother to put any jumps or poles up there. No one has ever complained about anything being in the way and the one dressage girl is showing second level and was ranked nationally last year and she rides just fine around everything. I also do lots of dressage type flatwork and have no problems either going around the jumps or staying up top in the empty space.
              No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
              For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
              www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

At my barn we have riders that do all different things! We have about 25 horses in total. We have riders that are very into eventing, and then we have a few riders that event for fun at the lower levels. We have some riders that do the big eq stuff and the big jumpers and other riders that go and just do x-rails. Then we have have riders that are doing third level dressage and some riders that are doing intro level. And then we have a few ladies that just love there horses and they ride for fun and hack around in the feilds and trails.
                Its great because its a very laid back place and everyone does different things and we are all very supportive of each other. We do have 3 rings, and that makes things much better. We have one large dressage ring. We have one ring that has jumps set up. And then we have another largr jumping ring in a huge feild that has big fancy jumps in it.

Comment

When I had a boarding operation, it was most definitely a multi-discipline environment! As the BO/BM, I made it a rule that you break down what you set up. People were generally agreeable; there were one or two difficult folk, but they were difficult in many areas and didn't last long with me.

Sometimes things were forgotten, but no big deal, a gentle reminder when next I saw the "offending" party was all that was necessary. (And quite frankly, once or twice I got distracted by the needs of a given evening and went home without putting up some jumps or something that I had set up ... breaking my own rules!)
                  Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
                  -Albert Camus

Comment

My barn is mainly hunter/jumper but we have a girl who does Western, she's 4th in the nation for her class, and then our barn owner does mainly dressage, with the occasional hunter show thrown in. We also have an eventer, that refuses to do the hunters.
                    www.justworldinternational.org

Comment

My barn has 400+ horses, 3 H/J trainers, a riding school, a western/all-around trainer, a reining trainer, a saddleseat trainer, a dressage trainer, and an eventing trainer. We also have our share of recreational riders. It all works out great- we have 9 arenas so everyone has room, and you get the chance to see many types of riding that you would not otherwise see.

Comment

Originally posted by mypaintwattie View Post
                        My barn has 400+ horses, 3 H/J trainers, a riding school, a western/all-around trainer, a reining trainer, a saddleseat trainer, a dressage trainer, and an eventing trainer.
                        Holy Jesus.
                        "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

My arena is 150' x 250'. We split into a 1/3 - 2/3rds area, with the jumps kept at one end. The "dressage" portion is about 20 x 45 meters. We don't have it fenced off, so people can still work using the entire arena, but it does offer areas that can be used for each, without constantly clearing equipment.

Courtesy of Google
                          Attached Files

Comment

My barn has 400+ horses, 3 H/J trainers, a riding school, a western/all-around trainer, a reining trainer, a saddleseat trainer, a dressage trainer, and an eventing trainer. We also have our share of recreational riders. It all works out great- we have 9 arenas so everyone has room, and you get the chance to see many types of riding that you would not otherwise see.
                            Holy Horse Poop! This place must be HUGE!

Our barn currently has about 50 horses, and we have a nice h/j program, some dressage riders and a bunch of pleasure/trail folks. We have a new western trainer, but I don't believe she's doing much yet. The worst part is that, based on how our barn is laid out, us h/j folks don't come into contact often with the ohters. We're sometimes considered snobs, which we're not. It is just a hike to the "other" tack room/area from ours, which is attached to the indoor. We do always take our jumps down - we consider it an additional conditioning activity.

As for those of us h/j and dressage people, it can be a little tough when one of our DQs shows up late for her lesson and decides to ride with us. She has an uncanny knack for being right where we need to be, then whines because we're in her way.
                            A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

About 150 horses here. Like mypaintwattie we have multiple arenas & disciplines including cutting. The jump arena isn't fenced, but we figure if you're not good enough yet to ride without a rail you're not ready to jump. The cutting pen is a bit deep for most other disciplines although people do turn out in it. We've got a cutting/reining trainer, several instructors for dressage, eventing and hunters (although the hunters are by far the minority), a guy who occasionally drives his Saddlebred all over the place & through most of the arenas. We hold NRHA reining shows & have a resident Pony Club. The horses get tons of exposure to all sorts of things, including the cattle & we've even had a few english riders try their horses at following a cow. We've also got folks who just ride for fun or out on trails. Never a dull moment! Although I remember one working Christmas when I was the only soul on the place all morning & it was so peaceful!
                              suze
                              http://www.cafepress.com/horses_by_hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Mom View Post
                                Holy Horse Poop! This place must be HUGE!
                                It sits on 25 acres, surrounded by 185 acres of trails. 2 Miles from the ocean, a midsize facility by Southern California standards. Forgot to mention that we have a therapeutic riding center, rental barn, and equine rescue group on the grounds too. But even with all the horses, there are many times when there are only a handful of boarders there- the arenas are hardly ever full. The only thing we don't have is pasture space- you are hard pressed to find actual pasture in SoCal.

Comment

It sits on 25 acres, surrounded by 185 acres of trails. 2 Miles from the ocean, a midsize facility by Southern California standards. Forgot to mention that we have a therapeutic riding center, rental barn, and equine rescue group on the grounds too. But even with all the horses, there are many times when there are only a handful of boarders there- the arenas are hardly ever full. The only thing we don't have is pasture space- you are hard pressed to find actual pasture in SoCal.
                                  I know the Saddleseat trainer at your place. He used to train here in WI. It sounds like quite the operation!

Comment

I know it can work, but much like the "open show" dscussion, one discipline will dominate and others may feel left out. Unless you are fortunate enough to have multiple arenas and round pens. I have been the "dressage girl" in primarily hunter barns where the rule was move the jumps if you must, but if a course is up please put it back. I have also been the hunter/eventer girl in a dressage barn where the rule was "if you put it up, take it down". I was fine with either as long as everyone is clear on the rules. Someone will always feel like they are getting the short end of the stick, but them's the breaks.

The barn I am at now has a take down rule for the indoor, but we can leave some semblance of a course up in the outdoor as long as we leave a space for a true 20m circle and either a straight center line or a clear 1/4 line to the wall.

Note to self: when I hit the big lotto (when I actually play a ticket) have an arena like Fairview Horse Center

Comment

Yep, I love being able to see everyone else ride different disciplines. Just because of the size of the facility, though, we have several arenas set up just for jumping, one just for dressage, etc. We don't tend to have to deal with other people's equipment.

I don't have the bravery to jump, but I enjoy watching it- especially the brave little kids on their ponies! And I'm sure if I were a pleasure rider or a jumper, I'd think it would be neat to be able to watch people schooling grand prix dressage horses as well Plus, I love me some little quarter horses, so having the western trainers lets me see lots of them

And I have three friends who have switched disciplines recently, for different reasons. That's a nice option to have.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Interesting to see how other barns work!

Where I'm at now, Saturday (after lessons finish at noon) to Tuesday evening the arena is to be kept clear, and Tuesday evening to Saturday morning there is always a course left up as our H/J trainer has lessons mostly those days. It seems to work, but I definitely would love to have another arena that is cleared 24/7! I am jealous of all the places with extra arena's!

Comment

Working...
                                        X