• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse sitting prices...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse sitting prices...

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm just wondering what most people pay to have someone come to their home twice a day to feed, water, turnout, pick stalls, etc. Not staying at the home, just coming by AM and PM. Or if you do this, how much do you charge?

Thanks!

I pay $25 per trip charge. The ladies that do this though will do stalls, feed, t/o, and if it is hot and the horses need a shower, they will gladly do this too. They treat my horses as if they were theirs. I love'm!

Comment

I get $50 a horse. I do am/pm feedings, stalls, outside hay nets, blankets (in the winter), and hosing/fly spray (summer), basically I treat them like they are mine.

Comment

To have any value you have to know where people are located, prices vary hugely from area to area. I live in an expensive area, and last summer I paid $100/day for someone to housesit, dog and cat sit, and care for five horses out 24/7. Not exactly what you were asking, but thought it might be a bit helpful anyway.
        https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
        Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
        www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

For each visit- $10 + $5 per horse

With 4 horses, and 2 visits per day, that is $60 per day.

When needed, she has called and met the vet, soaked feet, bandaged legs, and won't let me pay more.
          Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

I was just thinking about this, and this just another option thrown out there. In my circle around here many of us barter services. For example, if your house/horse sitter has a horse but no trailer, maybe offer to trailer her somewhere in exchange for her services at a lower rate.

We do this all the time. My farrier shoes my horse for free in turn I started giving her daughter lessons and I watch their dogs when they are out of town.

Just a thought.

Comment

The price I was quoted here in Oklahoma was $200/day, and that was for horses out 24x7, no stalls to do. Grain/hay twice a day, top off water tanks, scoop some kibble for the dogs...about 1 1/2 hours work per day. No additional 'services' offered - and one person wanted to be able to stay in my house, though they had no interest in staying here, just in using it as a convenience (oh, and please stock the refrigerator and the liquor cabinet).
              Arendal Arabians and Sanctuary

Comment

I don't know, but I'd love to find out what people in my part of the world - near Myrtle Beach, SC - charge for this kind of thing. All my friends have kind of a reciprocal arrangement, which works great until everyone wants to go away at once. I'd love to find someone I could hire.
                I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

$200 per day???

Are they insane--or am I?? At this moment, I'm pet sitting in WV for 2 dogs & 3 cats. I'm staying in the home, bring my own food & can telework out of the house, which is good because I share a vehicle with my son. I sincerely hope I do NOT meet the neighborhood bears

Non-horse homes start at $35 per overnight stay. Animals with medical issues are more on a case-by-case basis. Drop-in visits have their own rates.

I have one place with 3-4 horses, a llama (in PM out AM) & a veritable zoo of easy indoor animals. They pay me $400 for a week and $140 a weekend.

The home I'm currently watching has given me permission to use the movie projector, jacuzzi tub and huge washer/dryer for my quilts or whatever else I'd like to wash instead of going to the laundromat. I'm toying with washing my horse blankets.
                  I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
                  Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Comment

My BO paid a sitter $100 a day to stay in her house and feed and clean for 2 house cats and one house rabbit; feed and clean for about 60 show rabbits in their air conditioned barn (with hosing most cages so only a few to actually clean out), feeding 3 dogs who had their own room and lived mostly outside, feeding 3 barn cats and for feeding 11 horses and ponies 2x a day. Only 2 horses stayed in at night/day, so stall cleaning was at a minimum. Use of all facilities of course in the house. Rural SE GA western side of Savannah.

Comment

I charge anywhere between $30-$60+/day depending on how many animals, how much work, how many visits per day, if it's overnight, etc. etc.

My $30/day folks are mainly just dogs or cats or a couple easy horses that live out. Clients in the $60/day range are large barns with stalls to clean, lots of turning in and out, boarders to communicate with, and so on. Everything else falls in between.
                      Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

I have three horses and pay $20/day...but all she does is throw hay a.m. and p.m., feed grain that I've pre-measured and bagged for her and check the water trough. I have others who clean the paddocks and stalls. My horses have free access in or out of their stalls, and spend most of their time out, so there's not much else to do, no turnout to manage. My sitter lives down the street. I board my dog at a kennel when I leave town.

Comment

I care for 40 horses that are pasture kept 2x's a day 7 days a week. Grain for all horses and hay to one pasture, top off water, fix water line etc that need attention.
                          Then I go to stables where I have 6 horses I clean stalls once a day and feed/water 2x's a day.
                          I travel approx.60 miles per day and do not get a day off.
                          What would you charge for that?

Comment

I charge trip charge of 25.00 and 10.00 a horse per day. That includes stalls, water tanks cleaned and filled twice per day. Fly spray and hosed as needed. All hay grain supplements and meds given as per owners instructions. I'm in the Raleigh NC area. I also text or email daily updates.
                            "Anyone who tries to make brownies without butter should be arrested." Ina Garten

Comment

I do this for a farm about 3 miles up the road from me. Check horses twice a day, grain, water, pick stalls (horses are out 24/7 but they sometimes leave manure in the stalls). This time was of a week's duration and I checked the horses three times a day because one mare had just had a vet visit for mild laminitis before they left for vacation. I received a $125.00 Tractor Supply gift card. I think I'm cheap. This is four three full-sized horses and two mini horses.

As part of the "service" I also eyeball each horse each visit and check for any lumps, bumps or cuts. This time the large Belgian had a skin scrape on his sheath that needed cleaning and ointment put on. I also post photographs and message the owners every day, since they like that.

Comment

I made about $90 a day to feed/muck/turnout/bring in water, fly spray and shower 3 very spoiled horses about 5 years ago. I'd imagine I was getting paid a great rate but also feel like in Florida that was about the going rate in other places.

Comment

You dont' mention how many horses. That will impact price, because the more horses, the greater risk for problems arising, the more responsibility, the less able I am to block off time to work elsewhere.

If you want someone brainless to throw food, clean poo, fill waters, then pay them $7 an hour and keep your fingers crossed. Any old high school kid should be just fine. Provided they actually show up.

If you want someone who'll walk a fenceline daily, ensure the water's off and tub isn't leaking, check shoes/ pick feet, recognize colic, know how to treat a laceration, flip a cast horse, who can communicate succinctly with your vet and assist in an emergency situation, then the first hour is $35 and each additional hour is billed at a lesser rate depending upon layout of barn, horse manners, equipment, etc.

If someone wants me to stay on the property, prices average from $80 to $150+/ day depending upon headcount, and the items listed above. And yes, it would be nice if you asked me what I eat for breakfast and stocked the pantry with that, but I certainly don't expect it.

Comment

I charge for all things mentions 20.00 a visit
                                    if its 3 visits I get $55 FOR THE DAY
                                    If its a single visit $25.
                                    visits are no less than an hour if its over an hour its additional $10 an hour .
                                    if Im staying at your house its a $100.00 bc you are getting 12 hours of my time. for emergencies . ect.
                                    Most petsitters carry care ,custody and control insurance so we pay this yearly .Thats why we need to charge what we do my premium usually runs $500.00 up front so I have to make this before I see a profit . and doesnt include gas or maintance on my vehicle . Thank goodness I drive a Prus

Comment

I pay $25/visit for 6 horses, 3 dogs, and 6 cats. I pay more if I need stalls cleaned or someone needs special care. She also doesn't charge me extra for the rescue horses who are here (if any). I try to always tip well because I know I'm getting a deal.

And I trust her to do right by me and my horses. She's had to deal with two emergencies in the past five years and did right by us.
                                      Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

Last summer when I was on crutches I paid a girl $25/day for four months to come in the mornings to feed grain, throw hay, water, turn out and clean stalls for four horses. She would also get the stalls set up for the evening so my mom only had to bring the horses in and put them in their stalls, nothing else required. She was a godsend - kept the barn clean and tidy, even organized my cabinet in the aisle with all my brushes and miscellaneous crap in it. I'm in the far west Chicago suburbs.
                                        It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Comment

Working...
                                        X