• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bad fences make idiot neighbors !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad fences make idiot neighbors !

I swear, people will try and get away with anything.

Okay...so one of our horses jumps the fence and goes onto the neighbors lawn. In doing so, he wrecks the fence. He also leaves some hoofprints on their lawn.

Keep in mind....the fence is OURS, paid for and built by my husband. And the damage to the lawn was pretty minor.

Crazy neighbor lady tries to get us to pay for a new fence AND replacement of her entire lawn, as well as some trees (WTF?). We say 'no', but we will however fill in / re-seed the hoofprint holes. As for the fence....since we don't really need it any more (our horses have since moved from the property), and since it is ours, we will just tear it down (we were planning to do so anyway because it had gotten old / ugly).

Of course, she is not happy with this arrangement, because the fence was keeping her yapping yorkshire terriers confined.

Anywho....yesterday, we get this registered letter from the legal department of her insurance company, telling us that we have to pony up this crazy sum. Attached to the letter is the following:

1) An estimate to fix the fence (remember: OUR fence...a detail she failed to indicate to the insurance company...fraudulent, in my book)

2) Bills from 2008 (the incident with our horse was March 2009!) for an entire re-planting of the lawn plus all sorts of shrubs, trees, etc. I notice that the date on the bill is January 1, 2009 (a holiday here!) and that in tiny writing at the bottom it says 'paid by check #xxx February 23, 2008'. Fishy?

I am really surprised that the insurance company did not look into the veracity of any of the bills in specific and the claim in general. I called them to see if they even had someone from the insurance company look at the damage...to which they replied 'they can't divulge that information' (read: they didn't).

I am thinking that this constitutes fraud, and I may actually end out pursuing the neighbor for this. And who knows..maybe the insurance company too.

Anyone ever have a similar experience? Opinions, advice? (and yes...I will be speaking to our lawyer...just throwing this all out for discussion here)

(The silver lining in the story is that we found out that the horsie in question is quite a little jumper! )

I would call your insurance company and sic your insurance company on theirs. That should take care of the problem.

Comment

boundaries -- i would 1st go and check to see if the bondary line is actually yours
      i know you said you put the fence up but depends on boundaries here in uk normally if a garden fenceline each house owns the left fence side but back fencing is half and half
      if a square garden so one has to speak to the other house over the back fence if one wanted to errect another fence

as to the damage of the lawn then shes in her rights to claim what could be deemed as few horse prints might not be, the horse was obviously in a panic as he jumped the fence
      and itcame down so sped off or took his time to eat the yummy stuff on the otherside

now it could be -- lenght of time -- f which it took you to re catch your horse
      if 5mins then amount of damage might be small,if on the other hand over an hour before you realised he dissapeered then the damage to the garden could be servere same to if the horse was in a panic and not realsing where he was - in which case ther would be plenty of trees and shrubs busted of which take years to grow maybe

and as you said the fence was dodgy anyways it could be hes done it before and this is the last straw the owner has in getting you to do something with the fence

and since you have moved the horses and now dont care about the fence
      see to me it could be that your horses are always getting out on her lawn hence the move

and bills of repair are back dated from previous incidents as the fence wasnt brillient when it was errected by your hubby

in which case she can and does have a the right to complain and try to get her garde back to how it was and erhaps she cant afford to do that this time round or had enough of horses breaking out into and onto her lawn

knock for knck it will be with inusrances comapnies yours against hers as no proof as no camera to take the actual accident so there will a compremise of settlement which i can see being at least half of the bill
      which will be deemed fair

Comment

• Original Poster

Hi Stink!

Yeah, we did check the boundary line, it is ours. So's the fence.

I saw the damage with my own eyes, with the owner there. There was not a whole lot. Certainly no trees and just a few hoofprints, no mad horse galloping around and pulling out trees ( ) .

The old bills were for the LAWN and not the FENCE. There was an estimate for the fence that was recent.

Remember, the fence is OURS....so she is basically billing us to repair something that belongs to US. A little fact that she failed to mention to her insurance company.... um, smacks of fraud to me!

For information, these people have pulled crap like this before. My dog bit her yorkshire a while back .... I was mortified and told her that I absolutely take 100% responsibility for my dog (a JRT, no less...so yeah, really controlable when he wants to be ) and that I would pay the vet no problem. She proceeded to present me with a disgustingly inflated bill, including things like teeth cleaning for the yorkie!

My mistake in the whole thing was to just pay the Yorkie bill, because I am a stupid animal lover and I was afraid that these cheap people would forego the teeth cleaning if I didn't pay (yappy dog or not, I felt sorry for him with all of his teeth practically falling out of his head..).

Now, they probably take me as an easy target.

Comment

Check your state fence laws in most states a shared property line has to be fenced if the other land owner wants one. You can't be forced to do labor but you can be forced to pay 1/2 the cost and responsable for 1/2 the cost of maintenence. In this state when standing on your property your responsable for the 1/2 when facing the fence.
          Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Comment

Contact your insurance agent, advise them a claim has been filed, and tell them the woman is lying. It's their job to defend you and they're going to want to take a statement from you.

This is why you purchase insurance. I hope your homeowners insurance covers livestock - because many people who keep their horses at home do not realize they need a farm type of policy, or a policy that specifically covers livestock.

As county pointed out - fence laws vary by state.

Good luck.
            Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
            Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
            -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Unless 3eme has moved to the US then I think she is in France. (At least that is what her info shows in the corner).
              If France has homeowner type insurance I would contact them first. Let them know that the neighbor is trying to get you to pay for damage & work done before the horse landed in her yard. They will tell you if it is something they can defend you on or not. If it is something they don't cover then go for the lawyer.
              Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

Certainly do NOT just pay it this time.
                COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Can I say I HATE my neighbor?

goeslikestink;4109274]boundaries -- i would 1st go and check to see if the bondary line is actually yours
                  i know you said you put the fence up but depends on boundaries here in uk normally if a garden fenceline each house owns the left fence side but back fencing is half and half
                  if a square garden so one has to speak to the other house over the back fence if one wanted to errect another fence "

I feel your pain...I put a thread up on this forum a few months ago regarding a boundary line dispute with my idiot neighbor, too lengthy to go into here but you can read it if you look back on the threads...
                  Good idea to check your deed, or old survey etc...however, do not go off what they may have posted on line on the county website. That was the start of my problem; they are often wrong on where they draw the line, literally. I would suggest you do research where that line is though...

Comment

Originally posted by county View Post
                    Check your state fence laws in most states a shared property line has to be fenced if the other land owner wants one. You can't be forced to do labor but you can be forced to pay 1/2 the cost and responsable for 1/2 the cost of maintenence. In this state when standing on your property your responsable for the 1/2 when facing the fence.
                    We have a law like this. However, the individual who doesn't really want the fence but is required to pay for half only has to pay for minimal fencing. So, you can put up t-posts and barbed wire and fulfill your obligation. The law can't force you to pay half for post and rail, horse fencing, etc.
                    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
                    Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)
                    Autumn Caper (April 27, 1989 - May 24, 2015)
                    Murphy (April 28, 1994 - May 5, 2017)

Comment

MM yep thats what it is here also they can only make you pay the min. amount like you described and they can't make you maintain your 1/2 unless you have livestock on your side,.

Comment

That's rediculous! I would definately not pay for it!

Comment

What they do here if you don't pay is the county adds it to your property taxes.

Comment

in most states a shared property line has to be fenced if the other land owner wants one.

HUH???? I have never heard that before! If my neighbor wants a fence and I don't, then he can pay for it all by himself.
                            I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

Did you get good pics of the "damage" for your proof it's not what she's claiming? Bad neighbors suck.
                              suze
                              http://www.cafepress.com/horses_by_hawk

Comment

Rural fencing laws can certainly vary from city fencing laws too. Where I live the city properties have to have the neighbors consent to put up fencing and pay half, but if the neighbors don't agree on fencing choices or don't want one then the other person has to put their fence inside the property line on their side and pay for the entire thing-you can't just put up something on the property line and force the neighbor to pay for something they never agreed to. The rural properties here put up shared fences if they can agree on the type, but in case of dispute the owner that wants the fence has to put it 3 or 4 feet inside their property line to allow for official travel between properties (in case of fire or other emergencies to get large equipment in-and I think in case of joint fencing they have to have wide gates for emergency access.
                                You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Talk to your insurance company.
                                  I had a recent string of bad luck and it all ended up okay in the end.
                                  I was in a vehicle accident a couple of years back. I was stopped at an intersection and the man across the intersection ran his stop sign, had to swerve around a vehicle in the cross roads, then hit me. Police, etc put him at fault, obviously. My car is a write off, insurance pays for a new one.
                                  BUT a year later I get this registered letter in the mail. The man who hit me is trying to claim medical expenses, loss of work and damage to his vehicle. And he's trying to claim it from me, saying I was speeding, had a mechanically unsafe car and couldnt stop for him etc etc. Need I mention I was stopped at a red light? Seems his insurance wouldnt pay since he was a fault so he's going to try to get something out of me . To make a long story short, my insurance company has a lawyer taking care of it for me. Definitely worth looking into in your case. If insurance can't help, talk to a lawyer. I had an ex boyfriend try to come after my house, pension, etc after we dated for 6 months. Judge threw out his claims AND made him pay for my lawyer AND compensate me for the time I spent in court, away from work.
                                  People seem to be more and more inclined to make frivolous claims and lawsuits Stick up for yourself and don't let them bully you.

Comment

Not to start anything, but if your dog got bit mine and then your horse jumped the fence into my yard, *I* would be the one posting about bad fences making poor neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by Come Shine View Post
                                      Not to start anything, but if your dog got bit mine and then your horse jumped the fence into my yard, *I* would be the one posting about bad fences making poor neighbors.
                                      Considering that circumstance about the dog incident was not in depth...seems it was never in question that the actual damages would be paid, just not inflated ones. or on the OPs own property.

I mean, that is funny! Like I am paying you for damages to my car etc...does not make sense.

but check into fencing laws, indeed. In germany they are different from are to area. Some areas require fencing, some on one side, and I bet some don't.

If all else fails, put a couple stands of wire up, fence fixed, but oh darnit, she will have to keep her own pooch in still!

All kidding aside, fishy billing, tell your people about it, so they can tell her people....I am all for using insurance when needed, but they are not there to pay for your landscaping when all you got is a couple hoof prints (and jumpiing horses can do surprisingly little damage, even on softer ground)
                                      Originally posted by BigMama1
                                      Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                      GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Come Shine View Post
                                        Yeah, I thought of that after posting about the dog. I should have specified, her dog got bit by mine after coming on OUR yard and taunting my JRT. Usually not a wise doggy decision.

As for the horse jumping....it was the first time it had ever happened, and was such a minor incident.

And come on! We live in the country....in a town with a human population (40 people) that is approx 1/10 of the livestock population! Crap like this happens all the time, people (normally) just dealt with it (without the fraud), get over it, and move on. We've had neighbors sheep / cows stray, get into our crops, whatever.... and we are on great terms with those neighbors. Perhaps the next time there is a stray sheep in the feed bin, I will send a bill for re-modeling my bathroom!

Comment

Working...
                                        X