• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Old People Riding Club

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old People Riding Club

Anyone out there participate? Thinking of starting a chapter in my area - but wanted to see what others thought that had actually participated in a group.

I belonged to the Charlie Horse Chapter in this area for a couple of years. I really enjoyed it. It was a very active chapter - some educational, challenging presentation at every meeting ... sidesaddle riding (everyone who wanted to got a chance to ride), driving (same - everyone who wanted to got a chance to drive), massage demos, thermal camera demos, braiding, training (long-lining, for example), feed & nutrition lectures, trail rides, ratings, games rally (very low key & friendly) just something for everyone to make the meetings interesting.

Unfortunately, I thoroughly offended the woman who sent out email notices as to when & where the meetings were & she would no longer communicate with me so I didn't know where to go. Yup, she won, I gave up. I have run into the woman who is now president at a tack shop & she urged me to return as the woman I offended is less involved & the current president is a friend (or at least an acquaintance) of many, many years, but I haven't gotten back to it. Oh, the drama!!

We are struggling to establish & grow a horse business so I am very busy with that & I also found that I take horses terribly seriously whereas all the other women regarded horses as pets & pleasure. (I have been overly serious about everything all my life - just my take on things.) Anyway, the difference in approach to horses was definitely an obstacle.

Comment

Check out GODS; http://www.bucksinfo.net/godscentral/
      ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

I really enjoy Old Peoples Riding Club. Do start one.

And Evalee, you should come back. Lots of new members and we're still doing fun things.

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
          I love it! I definitely qualify in the age department. We need this in the U.S., especially since on the Dressage Board they refer to ODG (Old Dead Guys or Old Dressage Gods, depending on who you ask). This should be posted for the dressage people.

Comment

I've been a member for eight years now. We started with seven people, grew to around 50, and have now shrunk to about 25. Next meeting is at my house where Murphy will demonstrate proper lunging techniques (if he behaves ). Each chapter is different based on it's membership and what they put into it. At 41, I'm one of the youngest members in the chapter. We have a few ladies at 65+.

We have a great group of people - english (dressage, jumpers, eventing), western (show, pleasure), trail riders, reriders, raw beginners, driving (several of us are now trying this). Each member respects the others and we all like to try new things. We've had western riders trying dressage, jumpers on the western trail course, all riders on the "cross country" course (starting with poles on the ground), trail rides. Every year we go Christmas caroling on horseback and we also ride around to the various vineyards in the fall. A few have even put hitching racks in for us! Our group tends to be fairly laid back and fun rather than competitive.

Do start a chapter! Feel free to email me with any questions. Check out our photo album. That's Murphy heading up the Christmas folder.

http://oldpeoplesridingclub.org/gall...77dcd4606a84bc
            Crayola Posse - Pine Green
            Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)
            Autumn Caper (April 27, 1989 - May 24, 2015)
            Murphy (April 28, 1994 - May 5, 2017)

Comment

Is anyone here in Equestrians Of Fine Vintage, a south central PA chapter of OPRC? I contacted them once, quite a while back, but had some things happen and didn't follow through. I think it'd be quite a drive north for me to participate in a lot of their activities, but I don't believe there is one any closer to me.

Are there any chapters in north western/north central MD around say Hagerstown area? Or very south central PA around Chambersburg? Or anyone from the area who would love to start up a chapter in this area? I'd love to talk to you if you are
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "Life's a bleach and then you dye"
              "Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." Roger Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy's Mom View Post
                I've been a member for eight years now. We started with seven people, grew to around 50, and have now shrunk to about 25. Next meeting is at my house where Murphy will demonstrate proper lunging techniques (if he behaves ). Each chapter is different based on it's membership and what they put into it. At 41, I'm one of the youngest members in the chapter. We have a few ladies at 65+.

We have a great group of people - english (dressage, jumpers, eventing), western (show, pleasure), trail riders, reriders, raw beginners, driving (several of us are now trying this). Each member respects the others and we all like to try new things. We've had western riders trying dressage, jumpers on the western trail course, all riders on the "cross country" course (starting with poles on the ground), trail rides. Every year we go Christmas caroling on horseback and we also ride around to the various vineyards in the fall. A few have even put hitching racks in for us! Our group tends to be fairly laid back and fun rather than competitive.

Do start a chapter! Feel free to email me with any questions. Check out our photo album. That's Murphy heading up the Christmas folder.

http://oldpeoplesridingclub.org/gall...77dcd4606a84bc
                Ooh, yet another thing to put on my list of reasons for hubby to let me move home! LOL! I was born & raised in Yakima, graduated from Davis. Several good HS friends have moved back recently and I've been feeling homesick more and more.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "Life's a bleach and then you dye"
                "Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." Roger Miller

Comment

I have belonged to the Mane Event since it started in 2003 or 2002..I forget. Great club, the membership is very diversified, including our mini drivers, who came up with the driving test for the OPRC! Last week we participated in a Ride for Life, the Equestrian Way for Cancer and raised over $5000!
                  I am taking the C1 test next week..I told my C2 pony club daughter she better hurry and rate as I am going to pass her up!
                  Oh, the best thing, everything we do...ratings, clinics, educational days, whatever..involves food and drinking!! (and horses!)
                  Lori T
                  www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
                  www.facebook.com/LoriTankelPhotography
                  www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Comment

Originally posted by CowgirlDressage View Post
                    Ooh, yet another thing to put on my list of reasons for hubby to let me move home! LOL! I was born & raised in Yakima, graduated from Davis. Several good HS friends have moved back recently and I've been feeling homesick more and more.
                    We don't have much of a show scene around here, but there sure are a lot of great riding areas! I work a few blocks from Davis and live out in the Wenas Valley next to the LT Murray.

Lori T - good luck on your C1. I took (and passed) my C1 several years ago. Boy was I nervous! Poor Murphy seriously lacks talent so I won't push him to go any higher. If I ever get my warmblood going I'll test up. Our chapter likes chocolate and wine at all events!
                    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
                    Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)
                    Autumn Caper (April 27, 1989 - May 24, 2015)
                    Murphy (April 28, 1994 - May 5, 2017)

Comment

My mom joined a couple of months ago and is having GREAT fun. It's so good for her to have fun, positive places to take her horse, be responsible for it, get off the farm and ride in situations where she wouldn't be comfortable otherwise... I'm so glad she's joined up!
                      spriesersporthorse.com | farm on Facebook | me on Facebook | blog

Comment

I belonged for about 3 years. The chapter I belonged to decided to branch off and created our own club. It is alot of fun. We switched our club name to Rusty Stirrups and are still an adults only club, but do have some younger members. I would say the majority of our members are 40's or older. We have all different disciplines from dressage, hunters/jumpers, eventers, driving, western. Definitely join or start your own chapter.

Comment

While I'm over 50, I am offended by "old people's" ANYTHING. I'm a person, and don't like prejudice against me.

Comment

I wish we had one of these closer to me. It sounds like so much fun.

And no, I am not the type that is organized enough to start a club.

Comment

I'm an old A level Pony Clubber, was a hunter judge and I was reading the testing info/tasks for the Old People's Riding Club ratings...this was a big deal stopper for me.
                              "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

Originally posted by nightsong View Post
                                While I'm over 50, I am offended by "old people's" ANYTHING. I'm a person, and don't like prejudice against me.
                                The name was thought up in jest. A few of us, all over 50 except me, were enjoying lunch after a hunter pace, watching the tiny little pony clubbers do a games exhibition. One of us said, "they are having so much fun out there, we should have an old people's pony club."

Friend and I each recruited a friend or two and there it started. The name was all in fun, never to offend anyone.

Comment

I'm an old Pony Clubber and raised my kids thru Pony Club. I'd never join an Old People's anything. Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm not old until I say I am old. We do have a Vintage Rider's Club here which has a different ring to it. I'm not a member - done my share of bandage wrapping, stable management lectures, etc. But it is a fun group.

My own group of loose knit riders and horse people is "We Take our Fun Seriously" group.
                                  No rules, no memberships, just a serious interest in doing right by our horses and making tasty and interesting picnics.
                                  Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

The one in my area was full when I contacted them! But it was ok by me since I'd be the baby of the Old People's Riding Club since I'm just out of Pony club range. Oh well!

Comment

Originally posted by Trakehner View Post
                                      I'm an old A level Pony Clubber, was a hunter judge and I was reading the testing info/tasks for the Old People's Riding Club ratings...this was a big deal stopper for me.
                                      Could you enlighten me? What about the testing was a "deal stopper"?

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy's Mom View Post
                                        We don't have much of a show scene around here, but there sure are a lot of great riding areas! I work a few blocks from Davis and live out in the Wenas Valley next to the LT Murray.

Lori T - good luck on your C1. I took (and passed) my C1 several years ago. Boy was I nervous! Poor Murphy seriously lacks talent so I won't push him to go any higher. If I ever get my warmblood going I'll test up. Our chapter likes chocolate and wine at all events!

You're out in the Wenas? Lucky lucky you! Great riding out there. Our club, BCHW chapter, Traildusters, has a ride out there every year. This year, it's over Mem. Day weekend. I was hoping your club was on the west side so I could join, but Yakima is a little too far.
                                        Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

Working...
                                        X