• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Is this a firing offense? Opinions sought

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait a minute--why on earth would any of you make ANY kind of recommendation about VET SCHOOL!?
    The kid made a mistake! She didnt dissect the horses, she put them in the wrong stall! Why on EARTH would you INJECT yourself into someones life? The kid wants to be a vet! If she can get through Undergrad and get IN TO VET SCHOOL, then so be it--leave your opinions to yourself about saving money.

sheesh, tough crowd tonight [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Evalee--I'd love to see you walk up to someones parents and tell them that their daughter couldnt do something. Gimme a break.

Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous!
    FairWeather
    CANTER West Virginia

Comment

First night on her own...first mistake?
      I would find out HOW and WHY she made the mixup, explain how serious it is and if she doesn't "get it", then let her go. One mistake does not a future of ineptness make. Perhaps she is not ready to be on her own yet...she is only a teen, remember. Give her more supervision and another "practice run" on her own, but this time check things after she's finished...don't wait until the next morning, sacrifice the time to do it that same night, and if there are problems, explain to her...either she'll get it or she won't and you should be able to tell in short time. Good luck!

***My horse bucked off your honor student!***

Comment

But here's my opinion. Remember, I'm not flaming you FlightCheck! It's just the way I see it:

1.) Your ship sounds as if it's pretty tight. Tight ships are good. The only thing I could recommend you do better is take a digital photo, laminate it, and place it on horse's stall.
        2.) Have you done all of the work during this "training" period? You say she's been "supervised." But you also sound like a control freak (it takes one to know one!). Learning is a repetitive process. If you've done everything along the way, having her watch, it's unfair for you to blame her for not doing it correctly.
        3.) Since your organizational skills sound impeccable, you might want to do a better checklist, in a simple, bulleted format. I cannot imagine that the work you're expecting her to do is rocket science, but if you're giving her too much information it might just be overstimulating to her.

I agree that there's no way we can predict whether this teenager will make it to vet school.

Robby

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
        When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Comment

I have to say I agree with your decision. A mistake that is harmless (leaving equipment laying around) vs a mistake that can potentially injure a horse (wrong feed) is a big gap.

To help your next worker, try what I'm doing as I'm preparing to leave my horses in someone else's care for a week.....I took digital pictures of each horse showing their markings. Printed them out at 3x5 size and tacked them to the stall. Hopefully this will help sort out "who's who".

good luck with the next help.....it's almost impossible to find around here...
          Far Away Farm

Comment

Give the kid a break. Although someone as up tight as you must be hard to work for. Your horse is Not going to founder by giving them the wrong grain. I have worked on the A circuit for a 2 time Olympic rider and I have seen mistakes far worse than that happen. People Make mistakes.

Comment

Oops, you beat me to it, Robby. But it does make it a "no brainer".
              Far Away Farm

Comment

But want to add one more thing...

Just because I know every horse within days of entering a barn (to me, they are like people, distinct faces), doesn't mean everyone can tell them apart as quickly. Mr. C used to infuriate me because he'd always mix up the two identical chestnut mares. To me, they looked distinctly different, to him, they were both red with a blaze. He eventually got it.

Just a thought.

- Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at a bar. -

Comment

Your horses are color coded? I would have RUN from your barn! You seem to have very high standards for yourself, and they may be unrealistic for a teenager working her first barn job.

You probably don't realize it, but horses can all look the same to someone without a whole lot of experience. Also, SHE SHOWED UP! Give her another chance. Run through it with her again, and tell her to call you while she is still at the barn if she is confused or has any questions.

As to those saying she should not go to vet school, shame on you. I hope someone tells you not to bother trying to qualify for indoors, the medal finals, or whatever becuase you are too stupid.

It is not uncommon for vets to treat the wrong horse. It's your own fault for not being there when the vet showed up. The vet is probably returning your call while driving, and it would not surprise me if he gets the description of the horse wrong. Most vets are trying to stick to their scheduled appointments while returning phone calls and dealing with emergencies.
                  Man plans. God laughs.

Comment

I can't believe your post! Explain to a young woman who wants to be a veterinarian the problems relating to feeding horses the wrong feed? Come on! This generation has a major problem with the "no big deal" attitude. We've given up on trying to use them in the barn. They DON'T CARE! Showing up every day for work or on the scheduled time ....well only if they don't have some pressing engagement with their FRIENDS. They really, really, don't want to work for anything because their parents, for the most part, give them everything they need or want.

I look back on the responsibilities I took on at her age and it was what most kids did back then and it was way beyong this effort. And as far as Vet school FORGET IT. It's more competitive than applying to Med School and have a mind for details and recall is imperative in the business. I think the telling factor was that she apparantely wasn't even upset or remorseful!

Comment

Gee--you all have a whole lot of insight into a girl you DONT KNOW!

OMG...I'm with Flash--I think i'd RUN from a barn like this.
                      So, Beans, all the obnoxious kids in the world are exactly the same as every other obnoxious (or non-obnoxious kid) in the world!??
                      [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

The wrong feed wont kill a horse. It was a mistake, and flightcheck stated the kid understood the severity of it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
                      As for the original poster, I agree with most folks--if you want perfection in barn help, then go pay for it and dont expect it from a kid.

FW
                      who STILL cant get over those VET comments!

Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous!
                      FairWeather
                      CANTER West Virginia

Comment

No, not a reason to fire the kid. You have to realize that she's only doing this twice a week, which is basically 8 times a month. As with any job, much repetitive work is a must in the beginning to get the job done right. Eight days of work and a mistake like this isn't enough to get rid of the kid.
                        Secretplace Farm - Raising fine paint hunters since 1987
                        www.spfarm.com

Comment

I like the color coding idea (I'm remembering working in a barn with 35 boarded horses PLUS the 50 the barn owner had).

As far as whether or not to fire, I would look at how she reacted when you talked to her... I would have been horrified if I had done this. Was she upset, or did she shrug it off? I think it is a big enough mistake that she should have taken it very seriously. I think if someone cares about the job and makes a mistake it is different than not caring/not paying attention - it is more likely to happen again.

Second (or third, or fourth) the vet school thing. A lot will happen to this girl before she gets to the point in her life where she is applying for vet school. She will probably be a completly different person, so how can we tell now what kind of vet she would make??

~Chestnut Mare Extraordinaire~

My Equines:::
                          Flower: http://www.eqbydesign.com/flower.htm
                          Quin: http://www.eqbydesign.com/quin.htm
                          Half Magic: http://www.teamwindchase.com/Half_Magic.htm

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flash44:

As to those saying she should not go to vet school, shame on you. I hope someone tells you not to bother trying to qualify for indoors, the medal finals, or whatever becuase you are too stupid.
                            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Flash & Fairweather for pointing out the totally unforgiving nature of these people. Sheesh.

One mistake = too stupid to live.

Someone said they wouldn't want someone in their barn if they screwed up after a month, then goes on to tell of leaving SMB on overnight and it was 'a disaster.' Guess they should've been fired, too, and called stupid, ditzy, hopeless for vet school, and have their parents told not to waste any money on their education!!!!!

What a bunch.

Comment

I can only think of two reasons for mixing those two particular horses up. One is that she honestly couldn't tell the difference, the other is that she didn't care enough to bother. If she can't tell a small black horse from a very tall brown horse after a month, she's an idiot. If she does not care enough to look, presuming she understands that a horse could become very sick from getting the wrong feed, then she's definitely fireable also. The only excuse would be if she knew NOTHING about horses, and no one had bothered to explain to her the importance of consistent feeding, and she thought you were just being picky or something about which stall who went in (in which case her failure to comply is merely obnoxious), and she was sorry and upset once the significance of her mistake was explained to her.

Personally, I agree with everyone who says teenagers get too many allowances these days, and I'd fire her.

JenniferS
                              Third Charm Event Team

Comment

• Original Poster

She presented herself to me as a "horseperson"; went to farrier school this past summer and then worked out west at a dude ranch in the stable; knew the difference between chestnut, bay, blazes and stripes; and during training seemed to have a good grasp on things.

Robbie, no, after day 1 SHE did the work; I'd be in the barn for questions and help and "double checking". I'm going to take your advice on the photos!

MB, I'm not sure how the "founder" question came about; I didn't mention it. Yep, I'm uptight about barn help and doing things right, especially feed. But that's why the barn is always full with a waiting list for boarders - and thank GOD it wasn't a boarder's horse!

As far as vet school goes, that's not for me to judge.

Again, thank you all; I am giving it a few days so that I can make an informed, business-like decision. I may telephone her today after school and ask for more details - was she confused, was the work too difficult, what can we do to avoid this in the future (with her or someone else).

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Evalee Hunter:
                                  She would NOT necessarily be weeded out in vet school...
                                  I guess I need to add, that when I volunteered as a foal sitter at U of P (New Bolton), vet students would be foal sitting & studying for exams--on such questions as COLORs & MARKINGS of horses. It was pretty scarey to meet vet students who were totally clueless about horses & even downright afraid of them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ever stop to think about the fact that those might be small animal folks? Not all vet students have an interest in horses, other than what they need to know to graduate and pass the boards.

I had a professor who used to handle venomous reptiles who was petrified of horses.

I'm clueless about rabbits, and I take my ferret to a vet who knows ferret medicine.

My vet student story:
                                  My best friend and I were checking the World's Most Expensive Free Horse in to Tufts for tieback surgery. The student taking the history asked the routine questions about age, breed, diet, etc., then brightly inquired, "and what color is she?"
                                  Karen shot me a horrifed look and said, "Chestnut."
                                  As the student departed to find the surgeon, Karen grabbed my arm and asked "They *are* going to have someone supervising the students, right?"

Later that year, I ran into the same student in the small animal ICU, where my Irish setter was recovering from a splenectomy. She was an incredibly good small animal person, far better than I was at the same stage in my education. She asked me if I remembered her, and then told me how much she had enjoyed taking care of Ella, the horse, and how, for the first few days when she checked the mare's digital pulses, Ella would whip her feet up, and the student thought she was trying to kick. Then she realized that Ella was offering her feet to be picked out. "She's such a nice horse," she told me.

Unashamed member of the Arab clique...just settin' on the Group W bench.
                                  "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

You people are so quick to cast of this teenage girl as being inept, clueless and unsuitable for veterinary school because of one mistake you did not witness??? None of you know her. My God you are infuriating.

(breathe...must breathe...)

I manage a large boarding barn and YES i have put horses in the wrong stall. Not because I didn't know who each horse was....but because as I am hurrying to bring 30 horses in, I made the first left in stall number one instead of the second left into stall number two. Naturally it only took me a moment to realize I had made an error, but I've been doing it much longer than this kid.

Maybe she shouldn't work for you, since you seem to be too anal (in a good way mind you...barns should be run in an organized fashion). But since you questioned her staying around after one incident, it's obvious that your mind has a work ethic that doesn't allow for ANY mistakes. Do the work yourself, or good luck finding someone completely infallible.
                                    Remember...though eagles may soar, weasles never get sucked into a jet engine.

Soar like a weasle my friend.

Comment

Sorry if this was already said.

Two times a week over a month only makes her time at the barn 8 to 10 days. Not a whole lot of time IMO.

It takes me a long time to get to know horses, though once I know them I can't believe I ever got them mixed up. Since this is something I would do, I'd be more forgiving.

However, she doesn't sound like a good match for your barn.
                                      Member, Equine Artist Clique

Comment

The quality of mercy is not strained.
                                        It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
                                        Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
                                        It blesseth him that gives, and him that takes.

"If you ain't got it in ya, you can't blow it out." Pops

Comment

I (along with all of you) would have been fired from every job I've ever had. It is normal to make mistakes. I can't endorse the idea that this is a terminal offense. There is no such thing as a person who will never make an error. If my horses' lives depended on the kind of food they were fed, I'd be feeding them myself. Something that crucial and important, I would never delegate. And guess what? Then I might make a mistake. Come on guys! It happens.

In this situation, I think there is some cause for concern because she might have been careless. If you let her know that she needs to be more careful and she shapes up, good. If it continues to be a problem, then I'd say it is grounds to let her go.
                                          See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Comment

Working...
                                          X