Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

(rusty) return to riding - Orange County/South Bay - advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(rusty) return to riding - Orange County/South Bay - advice?

I've spent some time browsing the forum and noticed that southern California seems to be pretty well represented here - as a transplanted New Englander, I'm hoping I can get some advice from those of you more native to the horse world here! (It *is* different in the LA megalopolis than from where I grew up riding in Massachusetts).

First off, I'm starting to come back to the horse world after a 12 year hiatus for "life" - college, marriage, grad school, rat race - that sort of thing. I used to ride in New England; had two horses at a fantastic small family/show barn and showed hunter and equitation mostly at local shows or C-rated shows (only one A show under my belt, though I wanted to eventually get to that level). Aside from lessons and showing, though, I really enjoyed tooling around on my horses - bareback trail rides and goofing aorund.

During the past 12 years, I rode very little except for a trail ride or two a year, and some volunteering at therapeutic equestrian facilities. I'm now "settled" in Long Beach, CA and would like to ease back into riding again with weekly lessons. I'd like to find a place to ride somewhere in either the Newport Beach/Huntington Beach areas of north OC or around the Palos Verdes Peninsula. (Unfortunately, between my job and commute, driving to south OC or Burbank or Inland Empire areas would not be realistic at this time).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I've spent tons of time looking at CAHorse and other webistes for listings, and now I'm looking for anecdotal experience from real people. I've seen Seahorse - with Christy Arbuckle & Devon Gibson - recommended, but I know they bill themselves as a show barn for "advanced riders" and as someone who's comeing back after not riding, and who can only take weekly lessons, I'm not sure I'd qualify? Same question with the other H/J barns (Julie Golden in HB, Maverick, etc) - would trainers be willing to work with someone who is only riding once a week? I'd like to compete again, but will probably not be ready to get my own horse in the next year or two. Does anyone know how trainers around here feel about "rusty stirrup" type riders like me

I'm looking forward to coming back to riding; I just don't want to make any major faux pas in the process. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

In HB, for hunt seat, either Julie Golden or Huntington Beach Riding School are happy to accomodate weekly lessons (my daughter took lessons at HBRS for 2 years and my mom took lessons in Julie Golden's barn for a while). They both have school horses too, and as my mom is a re-rider and I took lessons at HBRS as a re-rider I know they are OK with that too

http://www.hcpec.com/trainers.html

Comment

Original Poster

A "re-rider"...

... I like that ! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Did you (or your daughter or mother) show with Julie Golden or HBRS?

Comment

Nope, and we've all since switched to dressage- but if you decide to come to HB, let me know and I'll introduce you to the inevitable side effect of taking lessons, a.k.a. our two horses

Comment

There's a barn in Long Beach where I ride, and I love it - Rancho Rio Verde Riding Club (or Lisa Wall Training Stables) - depends on who you ride with. It's been around for 20+ years, family owned, great people and nice school horses. It's right off the 710 and the 405. Lessons are kept small - 2 other people in your lesson at most.

I've tried Seahorse, and I rode with Alden. She teaches beginners/intermediate and the lesson was a lot of fun, but I found that I wasn't getting enough horsey time. The horses were already tacked up and groomed, and I didn't even have time to warm up the horse. It was get on, and go. No cool down either. The lessons was also quite big, I think there were about 6 of us. It's a very nice barn though, and her lesson horses are all former show horses. Just too bad that you don't get time to bond with them. Also, the sprinkler system was on right during our lesson and I got soaked several times. I don't mind, but my saddle wasn't too happy.

Also try Millie Semmelroth in PV. She is located right next door to Seahorse at the PV Equestrian Center. This place seems a bit backyard compared to Seahorse and Rancho Rio Verde, and Millie doesn't have that many school horses, but she is a sweet lady. Google her name for her telephone number and her background.

PM me if you want more info! I also live in Long Beach so if you need more info, let me know.

Oh, and I was told to stay away from Lakewood Equestrian Center.

Comment

I also wanted to add that Dave at RRV is all about safety and he is very patient. He will explain everything if you ask, and being a re-rider myself, I feel comfortable. Lots and lots of bonding time with the horses.

Also, at Seahorse, if you take a lesson with Alden, you'll most likely be in a lesson with a bunch of kids.
            Last edited by SoCalChick; Apr. 20, 2009, 07:00 PM. Reason: Added sentence

Comment

Sent you a PM. I ride up at Portuguese Bend Riding Club in PV. Let me know if you have any questions!

Comment

Another place not too far from Long Beach is First Field Farm in Cerritos (roughly 605/91 interchange).

There are also people who teach out of the public rings in Palos Verdes, but they don't always have school horses. Although I make the trek to Chino Hills now, I did ride in PV for years and still have connections there if you want to PT me with any specific questions.
                The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Original Poster

Thanks, Ambrey & SoCal Chick!

I had read about Rancho Rio Verde on yelp, of all places (as a newcomer, I want to see more horsey reviews on yelp - best tack stores, etc! ) It sounds like a nice barn, and the location is convenient for me (since I take the 405 past the 710 every day). It's great that they have small lessons;
                  I may well PM you for more info on that one!

Thanks for the tip on Millie Semmelroth of Foxtrail too - I had seen her website and was curious.

This is so helpful because from the only googling barns/trainers it's hard to get a good sense of what the barn is like. Seahorse does sound a bit hands off for my preference - I like to groom and tack and bond with my horse, lesson horse or not! So that's good too know - maybe it is to "serious" for me at this stage in my re-riding comeback

Just for fun, here's where I used to ride (it's had several owners since I left) - can't believe it's for sale right when I'm getting back into horses. http://vow.mlspin.com/idx/details.as...5&aid=M8000266

Thanks again for the great tips and advice.

Comment

Original Poster

Cammie and Peggy, Thanks!

Wow, this is definitely the most active horse forum I've found so far.

Peggy, thanks for the tip I saw First Field on the web - do you know much the atmosphere at the barn? It does look like a large facility from the google earth pictures.

Cammie, thanks for your PM!

Comment

RE, if you want to groom and bond, Julie Golden is better for that than HBRS (J. Alden), although I think they will let you groom up after you've been there for a while if you ask (unless it's Hobbs, who is a sweetheart under saddle but a bear to saddle!).

Comment

Originally posted by Relative Ease View Post
                        Wow, this is definitely the most active horse forum I've found so far.

Peggy, thanks for the tip I saw First Field on the web - do you know much the atmosphere at the barn? It does look like a large facility from the google earth pictures.

Cammie, thanks for your PM!
                        Based on the website it looks like First Field is located within a larger facility (they refer to board being provided by B&B farms) so that may account for the large look. I have one friend who rides there, but don't know much beyond that.
                        The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Carolyn Biava and her staff at First Field do a great job. A friend of mine (an adult) rides there and has nothing but great things to say about it. I have worked professionally with Carolyn and she is top class all the way. She is very laid back and friendly and extremely knowledgeble.

Comment

If you are interested in First Field, you should sent a message to Lauraware on these forums, as she is the daughter of their trainer. They are great people! And from their website, it appears that they have lesson horses.

There are quite a few trainers in Huntington, although I can't think of all of them off the top of my head. If you name the ones you are interested in, some of us might know them.

I have found that Southern California has a lot of older women re-riders. I think you will fit in just fine.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

Comment

I would also like to recommend in Huntington Beach Windsong Farm- there are 3 H/J barns to choose from at HCPEC (Windsong, J.Alden/HBRS, and Julie Golden) Windsong has a great lesson program, a nice mix of youngsters and adults, and the lessons are kept separate- kiddos have their own group. They have good lesson horses and take students to county level and A shows.

Comment

Originally posted by mypaintwattie View Post
                                I would also like to recommend in Huntington Beach Windsong Farm- there are 3 H/J barns to choose from at HCPEC (Windsong, J.Alden/HBRS, and Julie Golden) Windsong has a great lesson program, a nice mix of youngsters and adults, and the lessons are kept separate- kiddos have their own group. They have good lesson horses and take students to county level and A shows.
                                Ah, glad you chimed in- I didn't know whether they had lesson horses or not.

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you all

This is all so helpful.

Thanks for mentioning Windsong - I had seen them on the HBEC website as well so they were on my list of places to wonder about.

Between all the paces mentioned so far, I definitely have some good options.

There are couple others that I was curious about since I found them online and might as well follow up on. Has anyone ever heard of Canyon Ranch/Erin Isom in Rolling Hills Estates? Also, I'm curious about Rosepine Ranch http://www.RosepineRanch.com in Newport. Can't tell if they have lesson horses or are mostly a consulting facility.

I'm looking forward to checking out some of the HB or PV/RH places in person.

Thanks again!

Comment

Original Poster

On a slightly different note

Any suggestions on which tack stores - within a ~40 mile radius of Long Beach - would have the best selection of helmets? I think my old Olympian is waaaay past its expiration date.

And boy do I feel old school when I see all these fancy modern hats with vents and strips But I'm jumping on the bandwagon. I'm just so out of the loop and have no idea which brand and styles will fit me so I want to try them all.

I plan to try Broken Horn, LA Saddlery, possibly the 3 on/near PV (Saddlery, Tack Shop, General Store - though those seem smaller). Any other large tack shops that would have a good selection?
                                    Do you think the Gold Coast Series show coming up May 15 have vendors?

Comment

Broken Horn is the best, although El Toro (which is pretty far from you, in Lake Forest) has a pretty decent selection of helmets!

Comment

Helmets

Broken Horn has a good selection but doesn't have that many sizes. At least the last time I went, they had none of the GPAs in my size. Plus, it's hit or miss on the customer service there.

The Saddlery in PV is closed

The Tack Room is small but they have quite a decent selection of Charles Owens. Don't know if they have a wide range of sizes though.

Try Calabasas Saddlery in Calabasas. They have a lot of stuff, and I saw that they have a wide variety of helmet brands. PM Little Indian, she can help you out.

Comment

Working...
                                        X