• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How to handle unwanted advances by barn workers? ***UPDATE***

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

vxf111 - where is your barn?

no lurkers last night - the lights to the trailer were off, so I suppose they were out...
    my car just died, so when it is repaired and I can get back to the barn (hopefully tomorrow!) I will try all of the above suggestions! Hell, I'll throw so much crap at 'em something has to stick? Will keep you "abreast" of the situation!

My horse bucked off your honor student!

Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique

Comment

We had a 20 year old creep at my old boarding barn for awhile and he always oggled at me. Creepy.....h eventually stole my digital camera, stole the barn owners car and drive it a few thousand miles while they were out of town, then hid it in the hay barn with a broken transmission. Let's just say he didn't last long!

~*Lindsay*~
      An aspiring photographer specializing in dressage, eventing, and hunter/jumper digital photography.

~*Co-founder of the COTH Photographer's clique*~
      Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Comment

At my barn now, the workers are a very nice married couple who happen to be mexican but speak some english..... I don't get much in the way of flirting here.

But, at my old barn, I can vividly remember the younger mex guys lurking around me everytime I groomed my horse. And one time, it was a good day to clean his sheath, at least a quick run over.....

You can imagine my embarassment when they clearly turned this very normal horse care procedure into some kind of sexual insinuation. ICK.

I hate situations like yours, moving might be a great idea, but i know its pretty hard to find the right place.

martha
        Proud member of the * Hoof Fetish & the NervousNellieWorryWart* cliques!

Comment

and if that doesnt work get a job in law inforcement and wear your gun.
          more hay, less grain

Comment

• Original Poster

INS! Great idea!
            And now that I think of it, I do have an aquaintance who is a sheriff's deputy in the county where I board...think I'll give him a call...how perfect...he could cruise up in his car and uniform!
            hate to say it, but I bet we'd see "scattering"!

Comment

Am I the only one offended by some of this??? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

No I am as well. I am really shocked that certain people would so callously describe people as "them" and "dirty"....We are talking about people and you may not want to go out with them...but please refrain from subcategorizing people in racist terms.
                "All life is precious"
                Sophie Scholl

Comment

• Original Poster

By "dirty", I mean the guys rarely bathe...literally... By "them", I mean the guys as a group. I am not attempting to be racist or un-PC...I have tried to use the terms "barn crew", etc. and I only mention their nationality because there is a language barrier. And I said "scatter" because just three weeks ago we had to call the sheriff out to put down a doe that had been hit by a car and partially paralyzed and when the barn workers saw the cruiser pull up they really did scatter into the woods and only returned after he was gone.
                  I am taking into account the cultural differences as a poster mentioned earlier (providing a link for further info) because the differences ARE the reason for the problems, IMHO. If the guys were American I certainly would have no problem in addressing the issue! No offense is intended. Sorry if I have offended anyone. I am just trying to prevent a bigger problem...I would be uncomfortable with three guys lurking around and sneaking up on me at night in the barn NO MATTER WHO THEY WERE! Hell, I've even been frightened once by a FEMALE barn worker who intimidated several of us into leaving.

Comment

Gambit. I feel your pain. Two years ago at my old barn two of the Creepy barn workers followed me out of the barn driveway. Not unusual, but then they started to follow me home. I turned into my neighborhood and so did they, so I freaked called my parents to tell them the situation. I didn't want them to know where I lived, so I drove through my neighborhood and back to the main road. Then I decided to make a couple of quick turns and take some short cuts, and they followed every move. Eventually I had to pull out of other cars just to "lose" them. Didn't want to be stopped with them behind me. The whole time they were just laughing and smiling, who knows what they had planned.

But here's the kicker.. My dad calls the owners of the farm (mind you the husband is a retired cop) and they say oh they'll talk to them tomorrow. Well needless to say, I was scared out of my mind, my heart was still racing, so this wasn't exactly acceptable. I had just come home from collegefor winter break and was planning on spending it at the barn, but didn't feel comfortable with them being there. So what the owners eventuallly did was get a women who was fluent in spanish to talk to the "guys", they denied everything and said that they were lost. sure..likely story. They never got repremanded or anything. I guess I should have called the cops when I was being chased.

I don't know how barn owners can be so irresponsible by not taking any action. But hey, these are the same people that let me get on a "cold back" horse without telling me about his "problem" and watched me leave the farm in a helicopter. So, you wouldn't expect them to take action on the workers. Especially after the cops came to the barn once to arrest a guy who was trying to show his goods to a little girl.

I agree with gambit these guys were dirty and nasty. However not all of the barn guys were, the guys that traveled to the shows with us were the nicest "guys" I have ever met. After traveling all over with them to shows, we became very good friends. In fact, I told one of the show guys about the following incident and the two that committed it got a major lashing en Espanol :

"Some people need to buy the winners, others make them."
                    Some people need to buy the winners, others make them.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SillyHorse:
                      <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I just get pissed when someone more powerful than I (be it political power, physical power, etc.) pushes me around when I'm just trying to live my life.
                      <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you think feminism is all about <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe so, and that's as good a definition of feminism as any, but my view on all of that is why must we make an issue out of gender all the time? Abuse of power is abuse of power, and is not always a gender thing...I try to make gender a NONissue instead of an ISSUE. It works for me, FWIW...no offense intended to those who are feminists or otherwise feel differently about gender "issues". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"If you think your hairstyle is more important than your brain, you're probably right." Wear a helmet!
                      www.deltawave.homestead.com
                      www.seeliecourt.homestead.com
                      Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

oh, and did I mention the fact that there are only three workers now because one of them was arrested for aiding a felon by hiding his cousin @ the farm. The cousin had shot another man to death a month earlier in a ballroom brawl. So I am not just making things up in my mind re: danger. I do have a leg to stand on and a reason to be nervous!

Comment

It sounds like you need to get you and your horses out of that place! Be careful, please... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

"If you think your hairstyle is more important than your brain, you're probably right." Wear a helmet!
                          www.deltawave.homestead.com
                          www.seeliecourt.homestead.com
                          Click here before you buy.

Comment

Regarding the racial offense....my situation with sheath cleaning and sexual innuendo used the word mexican... which certainly calls "them" out as a ethnic group....

And I always feel really uncomfortable when I say something like that - trying my best to put it in the most racially unbiased light....

But the truth is - even if many don't like it - *most* barn workers are male mexicans, who frequently don't speak much english. At least in my lifetime horse experience this is what I've seen.

On top of that - whether it has *anything* to do with ethnicity or not, these same workers obviously can intimidate female horse people by virtue of the language barrier and totally uncalled-for flirtatous/sexual behavior. Whether we like to bring it up or not, it is a fact that exists.

I am torn within myself over how to handle these kind of discussions - but my rational side says - there *are* very real cultural differences. We may be all human and equal, but we *are* different in our backgrounds, communication skills, social skills and what we consider to be acceptable. So to say that "catagorizing" mexican males in this sense is racist, isn't exactly true - to some extent it is a factual cultural difference.

I think they do probably understand more than some will let on - frankly, if I were living in some other country where I didnt intend to make close relationships and I found the people amusing to observe, I might keep my fluency to a minimum and simply do my job and be entertained by the natives.

It could be a social phenonmenon explained simply because as a foreign, unfluent visitor, you have no invested interested in these people or your place there... you have no reason to follow customary rules of ettiquette, you are a temporary resident and will leave these people behind.

It wouldn't be surprising that some single guys who are here to work find it amusing to hit on american girls who can't follow the conversation. It's not even something you could say is specifically "mexican" behavior, this is probably a phenomenon that would occur from *any* foreign 'young' person in that circumstance.

I just think there is a difference between being RACIST and treating another group with an unequal bias or disrespect, and calling out a cultural or factual reality.

This is something many women are probably uncomfortable even talking about, because god forbid we say "those mexicans are always hitting on me" - that's borderline racist. We are programmed here not to say or think anything un-PC, but sometimes that clouds reality.

How do we discuss this sociological phenonmenon of mexican barn workers and their relationship or interactions with american women? Cause it's real and has an impact on many of us.

martha
                            Proud member of the * Hoof Fetish & the NervousNellieWorryWart* cliques!

Comment

• Original Poster

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mcmIV:
                              How do we discuss this sociological phenonmenon of mexican barn workers and their relationship or interactions with american women? Cause it's real and has an impact on many of us.

martha<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't have said it better! REALITY!

Comment

I just know the majority of Hispanic staff in the horse show world are cherished, caring, devoted, and loyal people who are invlauable to many barns and riders success. And I feel sometimes we are complacant in our categorizing of people in such ways.

Similarly working in one of the Worlds largest international organizations and having many amazing friends from Central and South America, nothing described here is any cultural norm for either sex in their behavior or attitudes or beliefs...
                                "All life is precious"
                                Sophie Scholl

Comment

• Original Poster

Not Hispanics in general...In spite of being lecherly, these guys do a fabulous job with the barn, grounds and the horses loff them.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gambit:
                                    So I am not just making things up in my mind re: danger. I do have a leg to stand on and a reason to be nervous!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I just find it strange that you dont mind these people taking care of your animal? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

• Original Poster

Not Hispanics in general...In spite of being lecherly, these guys do a fabulous job with the barn, grounds and the horses loff them. So, no, I don't have a problem with them taking care of my horse! They are very caring and nice to the horses, recognize illness and injury...dependable re: feeding time, turnout time, night checks, etc. If my horse was unhappy, I'd know. And he would be elsewhere.
                                      Back in the old days, when I was a junior, barn staff were not mainly hispanic, but black, FWIW. (Or should I say African-American?) Few and far between were caucasians.

Comment

I have found that being blunt and honest is the best way to deal with a situation like this, no matter what the culture or language barrier is.

You have every right to be yourself. You should not have to turn into a cold person or try to make yourself appear unattractive in order to repel unwanted attention.

Decide what you want to say to them -- somthing like, "I really appreciate that you take such good care of my horse, and that is why I smile at you and say hello. It is only to say thank you. The only connection between us is my horse, and I want to keep it that way." Find someone to help you express this in Spanish if you feel you must, but I am sure that you can make yourself clear to them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Forget lying, pretending, etc. Stick up for yourself and be honest to them. It will be a quicker, cleaner resolution with no embarrassing moments afterwards.

Re: feminism: I think a woman should be able to decide for herself how she wants to lead her life, whether it's working 40 or 80 hours a week or staying at home and raising a family. That's my definition of feminism. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?"
                                        \"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?\"

Comment

• Original Poster

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spunky:

You have every right to be yourself. You should not have to turn into a cold person or try to make yourself appear unattractive in order to repel unwanted attention.

Decide what you want to say to them -- somthing like, "I really appreciate that you take such good care of my horse, and that is why I smile at you and say hello. It is only to say thank you. The only connection between us is my horse, and I to keep it that way." l<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah Spunky, I don't want to piss them off...just chill them out! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                          X