Sport Horse Spotlight

Flamenco head 2 (web)_300DH

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_2260

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

TB's at absolute auction 10/20/02 Rixeyville, VA

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We all hope these statistics hold true and the Liberty Farm dispersal at least runs to "average" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have been contacting every person I know with interest in standing TB stallions and letting them know that Linkage is available. I feel that he is too good to miss a chance on.

Unfortunately, the breeding stock will need to be outstanding conformationally as the race records of the ones that made it to the track are lackluster. I truly hope that this sale is successful and that these mares become useful and treasured once again for their qualities by their new owners.

Oh, to have a farm of my own and money to spend on another baby.

Should I pack a cooler with snacks and meet you guys at the sale? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Comment

I would buy all of them, but I would want to make sure that he did not wind up, eventually, with the same fate as Exceller.

Thank you, Tim, for sharing this information with us. I hope that the auction is a success and that these horses all wind up in good, caring homes.

Comment

With all of his clients from the past coming who have paid really good prices, no need to worry about any horses going to slaughter or not finding homes???!! Guess there is no need for anyone looking for a bargain, or a desire to help rescue a horse to go to the sale on Sunday?? Am I being naive???? Or perhaps facetious????? I get the feeling he is telling any do-gooders or any bargain hunters to stay away, you're not needed!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
        http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Comment

I have had the pleasure of attending a few auctions that Tim and his brother have put on. They have always been very well run and the quality of the attendees is vastly different from the crowd that attends the Marshall or Orange monthly horse auctions (or worse the defunct Madison horse auctions).

When I have seen a certain well known 'dealer' at one of Tim's auctions, I've seen him pay over $1,000 for a riding horse or pony he knows he can turnaround for a profit to a riding stable or camp.

Here's hoping that any COTH BBer only has to buy a horse they really want because they want it and that all the horses find forever homes.

~Kryswyn~
          "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
          ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
          Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

We are all hoping you get an excellent result with the auction. But there are some pretty tough tidings from lots of auctions and horse sales these days - so I do hope that those who are interested go. And I hope Linkage gets a grand home.

Comment

Thanks for posting -- and reminding us all that an auctioneer makes his living and reputation by procuring top dollar for the seller's goods.

I don't think that Mr. Jennings was telling do-gooders to stay away. On the contrary, he was trying to comfort all of us who are concerned about the welfare of these horses that he too has their welfare in mind. Why else would he make such statistics available to us?

I would very much like to hear how the sale goes by any COTHers who are able to attend. If Mr. Jennings could provide us a synopsis as well, it would be a very generous and thoughtful thing for him to do.

"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?"
              \"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?\"

Comment

Mr. Jennings, if you are still reading, will you treat the auction prices as a matter of public record as Keeneland, FT, and OBS do, and submit them to the Blood-Horse? Thanks. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Custom Needlepoint Belts

Comment

here is a great article on these breeders that also mentions Unity Hall and Linkage. Several horses in the sale also trace separately back to Cyane.(Hope this is not a copyright problem)
                  here goes!

http://www.thoroughbredlegends.com/g...apter_one.html

Comment

To Talloaks
                    If anyone is looking for a bargain, this could be a great place to shop. If you have the means and desire to "retire" one of these horses you are most certainly welcome. I feel that there is always a need to keep an eye out for the welfare of horses, whether at auctions or in the neighbor's field. I am afraid that with the current reduction in the low end market we will see more and more cases of abuse, starvation and even abandonment. Never too many "do-gooders".

Results will be posted on our web site with 2 weeks or so and will be sent to the appropriate magazines.

Now we wait to see what the market tells us these horses are worth.
                    Tim Jennings
                    Flashpoint Bloodstock, LLC
                    http://www.sporthorseauctions.com/

Comment

Here is a picture of Linkage from the 1994 Bloodhorse - i have no idea when the picture was taken, but it does appear to be after he had served at stud for at least some time.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
                      Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Attached Files
                      Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Handsome guy...

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
                        Check out my barn's site:
                        Centre Equestre de la Houssaye
                        *_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
                        Comment est-ce qu'on dit <quiche> en anglais? Mapi LaJoux
                        ---WHX---

Comment

Their site had nice shots of Linkage, Genuine Reward, Chenin Blanc, Gorky Park and Quadratic a couple years ago before they closed up the breeding operation.

Gorky Park was gorgeous. I wonder where he went to.

-Lord Byron
                          "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Comment

These report state by state earning statistics as of 2002, as well as all time numbers with Linkage having few runners in 2002 but shows just how solid a sire this horse is.

Standing at the time at Rockburn & Meadowville Stud in Virginia for $2,000.

Pretty impressive stats for the quality of mares booked to him. We were fortunate to have this stallion available locally for so long.

Linkage's Sire Statistics

-Lord Byron

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:
                              Their site had nice shots of Linkage, Genuine Reward, Chenin Blanc, Gorky Park and Quadratic a couple years ago before they closed up the breeding operation.

Gorky Park was gorgeous. I wonder where he went to.

_Friendship is Love without his wings_
                              -Lord Byron<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                              Gorky Park, I too wonder what's become of him. Would love to see a pic of Quadratic. Saw an ad recently, as apparently he's still standing! Any ideas?
                              http://www.fouroaksfarmva.com

Comment

As of 2001, Gorky Park ($1,000) was standing at Meadowville Farm, Plains, VA.

Quadratic was listed at the same place/same stud fee.

Of course, as I read on, Linkage was also standing there, but the address for all was listed as James Madison Hwy. Might just be the contact info and not the place the horse stands though...

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
                                Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                                Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Rockburn & Meadowville stood Quadratic (Quadrangle/Smartaire), Gorky Park (Goryetus/Angel Chile), Genuine Reward (Rahy/Genuine Risk), Chenin Blanc (Lypheor/Mouthful), Majesty's Prince (His Majesty/Pied Princess), Cefis (Caveat/Ring Dancer) and Linkage (Hoist the Flag/Unity Hall) through (I believe) the 2000 season. Each of these stallions of impeccable lineage carry quality records of their own performance on the track and through their offspring. Not enough to remain at the "major" stud farms in Kentucky, but solid performers at a reasonable fee locally.

Dear to my heart, close to my own home I found these three Ribot line stallions - Linkage, Majesty's Prince and Cefis (Caveat, by Cannonade out of a Ribot mare).

Illness and then a death in the family caused a cut back on the breeding operation. The Firestone's two, Chenin Blanc and Genuine Reward, were relocated to another farm. Drat it, I don't remember the name but I think it is where Purple Comet stands.

Majesty's Prince, as far as I can tell, has gone to his owners farm. I thought that Quadratic and Linkage were still at Meadowville but heard today that they were sent out within the past year or so to other farms. Obviously, Linkage is at Liberty Hall.

Regardless, Rockburn & Meadowville stood at stud a very nice group of quality, affordable TB race stallions of impeccable lineage and excellent record for many years. Sad to see the end of another icon.

From Bloodhorse: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Virginia Horseman Mark Hardin Dead
                                  Date Posted: 9/6/01 5:57:37 PM
                                  Last Updated: 9/10/01 3:13:08 PM

Mark Hardin, a native Virginian whose father was the force behind historic Newstead Farm near Upperville, Va., died Sept. 4 following a lengthy battle with cancer. Hardin, 70, was on an out-of-state family vacation when he died.

Hardin, who served on the board of directors of the Virginia Thoroughbred Association, operated Rockburn and Meadowville Farms and stood such stallions as Val de l'Orne, Cefis, Linkage, and Quadratic. Although he scaled back his breeding operation in recent years, he remained active in the Thoroughbred world.

"Mr. Hardin and his family have been such a large part of Virginia breeding and racing history," said VTA president Deborah Easter. "Horses produced at Newstead and later Rockburn put the Hardins and Virginia in the national spotlight."

Hardin's father, Taylor Hardin, acquired Newstead in the 1930s, and turned it into one of North America's premier commercial breeding operations. Follow Taylor Hardin's death and the death of his wife, Katherine, in the mid-1970s, the farm was operated by a three-man trust that included Mark Hardin. Following the termination of the trust, the Newstead horses and stallion shares were auctioned by Fasig-Tipton Co. in 1985 for $46,988,000. World records for a broodmare, an empty mare, a 2-year-old, and a weanling were established. The record-priced broodmare, Miss Oceana (in foal to Northern Dancer), brought $7 million.

After the sale, Mark Hardin and his family moved to Rockburn, which they had bought a year earlier. In 1994, they bought Meadowville.

Hardin's survivors include his wife, Katherine, and daughters Janelle, Mary Welby, and Norah.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Lord Byron

Comment

I know Genuine Reward is in Wyoming now... I was actually looking him up after going to Three Chimneys and seeing Rahy.

I want to look at the horizon and not see a building standing tall...
                                    Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

I was going through the PDF file listing the horses for sale, and I came across a 10 year old mare named Strawberry Streak. What caught my attention was her grand-sire, Crimson Satan.

I actually rode this stallion when some friends of mine were standing him about 20 years ago on a farm in Centreville/Chantilly where there is now yet another McMansion housing development. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] He was NICE. A big 17 hand chestnut fellow with a phenomenal temperament. You could eat a Subway sub between trot strides on this guy; his suspension was phenomenal. He would have made a nice sport horse himself!

I have her on my list of horses to preview on Saturday. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] For sentimental reasons. She of course looks nothing like him, being dark bay, but if she's got his temperament... Hmmmm.

~&lt;&gt;~ Remember, the Ark was built by a rank amateur; the Titanic was built by a team of experts~&lt;&gt;~

[This message was edited by creseida on Oct. 17, 2002 at 11:52 PM.]

Comment

Well, I would buy again at an auction. I do believe that Professional Auction Services was running the VA Bloodstock sale when I bought Pico.

She was one of those good deals found by a bargain hunter. Unfortunately, I don't have tons of money to invest in expensive horses. I can have as much fun on the bargains.

Thanks for posting Tim.

Mel

Comment

My mare from a 1997 spring catalog sale at the Fauquier Livestock Exchange (it was a horse group who arranged the twice-yearly sales, although they were only around for a couple of years).

My gelding was purchased at the 1997 Fall Hunter and Bloodstock Sale, put on by Professional Auction Services.

I've been to two auctions where I had money to spend, and even though I went to both "just to look" and get familiar with the auction scene, I came home with a horse both times. Haven't been back to another once since there's no more "room at the inn". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

In fact, when I bought my mare, I didn't even OWN a trailer and had to scramble to find a ride home for her (cost me $60, but it sure was worth it). When I bought my gelding, I had a trailer, but I hadn't brought it with me since I had gone "just to look" at the offerings. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] The sellers hauled him home for me at no charge. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
                                          Equus Keepus Brokus

Comment

Working...
                                          X