• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horses after shoulder surgery ?'s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horses after shoulder surgery ?'s

So the pain killers are no longer working and I have to get the tear and separation in my right shoulder fixed. I haven't slept in days - just can't due to the pain. I have to suck it up and git it done. So I have questions:

How long did it take to get in and get it done?

How long were you really down where people had to wait on you hand and foot?

How long was your rehab?

When could you clean stalls again?

When could you saddle a tall horse on your own again, mount up & ride? Lunge(I have not been able to lunge comfortably for 6 years).

I am not a good patient because I am impatient. And my farm is a one woman show by and large.

I am scared to death - HELP!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

I have to make this quick as I am heading out the door. I had the Bankart surgery last fall, four screws put into my shoulder. First week was brutal, second week, less brutal, and withing I think 12-14 days, I was riding my newly acquired OTTB. Now, I didn't tell the dr this, of course.

Within 2 months I was better than ever, as good as new. Been riding all along. Did stalls and hay after two weeks. Never went for physio, and no joke....it healed really really fast.

Don't do what I did. Follow Dr orders. I could have really done some damage but I was lucky.
    "Anti-intellect and marketing, pretty, pretty, who needs talent
    Crying eyes, we're so outnumbered, fight for the right to remain silent" Buck 65

Comment

Wow!

You are amazing!

I had mine the end of January (torn labrum, bone spur, clavicle reduction) and I am now riding. I agree the first week was realllllllllly painful. But I made myself move as much as I could stand; did physical therapy for a few weeks; and now I still have some pain to deal with. My surgeon says to give myself about 4-5 months to be pain free.

Good luck and remember that ice is your friend!
      Just because I talk slow doesn't mean that I actually AM slow.

Comment

See my answers below...and good luck...it will be worth it!!!
        Sandra

Originally posted by Woodland View Post
        So the pain killers are no longer working and I have to get the tear and separation in my right shoulder fixed. I haven't slept in days - just can't due to the pain. I have to suck it up and git it done. So I have questions:

How long did it take to get in and get it done? From when we decided to do it until surgery was scheduled? About 3 weeks...your mileage may vary.

How long were you really down where people had to wait on you hand and foot? About 12 hours. I live alone and had a friend drive me to/from the outpatient surgery (laproscopic for me). I had a different friend spend the night that first night, but he left for work the next morning and didn't come back. 3rd friend came that night to make me dinner, but I would have been able to do it...it was great to have help, though. I live alone and knew I couldn't lean too much on people. I set up hay feedings for a week all over my barn at waist height (on hay bales, in the bed of the truck, etc.) so that I would be able to slip my good arm under and carry it to her stall. She is and in/out free choice pony, so she doesn't use her stall to potty and it was winter, so I didn't worry about mucking. I also had done a bunch of cooking and had meals set aside for myself. I did a lot of napping that first week, but wasn't waited on.

How long was your rehab? I started "baby pt" the second day after surgery...gently swinging my arm to work on range of motion. Started real PT at the 10 day mark and did that for a couple months. DO THE PT! It's not exactly fun, but I have full range of motion and no pain now. I know people who didn't do the PT and didn't have a great outcome.

When could you clean stalls again? Using both hands...a couple months.

When could you saddle a tall horse on your own again, mount up & ride? Lunge(I have not been able to lunge comfortably for 6 years). I started grooming, using the injured shoulder, a couple weeks in, I think. By "grooming", I mean taking a couple sweeps over her body. It got better over a few weeks time. I was riding 3 months after surgery. It helped that it was done in winter and just turning to spring, so I wasn't jumping the gun on riding. Probably could have gotten away with riding about the 2 month mark, if I had been certain that I wouldn't have to really use the shoulder. Your muscles are cut and have to have time to heal and then build strength.

I am not a good patient because I am impatient. And my farm is a one woman show by and large.
        How large a farm? How many horses? Can they be (or are they) turned out so you don't have to muck? Can you hire a teen to help with chores until you can do them again?

I am scared to death - HELP!
        Seriously, do it. I wish I had done it sooner. Your quality of life will be so much better!
        Sandra

Comment

The first week is awful. Not going to lie on that one. After that each week gets better. I was in a sling for a month and was not allowed to use it at all for 4 weeks.

I think I was on my horse at 6 weeks. I couldn't pull a girth for awhile, 10-12 weeks for that. I had the ligaments shortened in my arm to keep it from dislocating all the time.
          ---------------------------
          University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2012
          Member of the Asthmatic Riders & "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" cliques

Comment

Here are some general thoughs for you. I broke my shoulder in 2001, so I know my situation is different, and since I was only taking lessons at the time I don't know at what point I would have done a lot of that.

I think some of your timeline will really depend on what specifically they will be doing in the surgery- if they have to do any muscle shortening/repairing, that will most likely be more painful and also has a longer recovery compared to a scoping/cleaning out/minor ligament repair.

DH has had two shoulder surgeries, one involving muscle cutting and repair and he said that was pretty rough- def. worse than his ACL reconstruction. Because it takes 6 weeks for the muscle to heal, he was pretty much stuck in a sling for 6 weeks for that. When he was scoped to repair his labrum, it was a much shorter recovery time.

I broke my shoulder (can you tell we have lots of shoulder injury experience ), and I will say that being very faithful with your PT is HUGE. It can make a big difference in how things feel long term (as DH found out when he wasn't as consistent with it the first shoulder surgery).

Good luck!

Comment

I just had surgery on my shoulder in February (not as intensive as your but major bone reduction) and ditto what everyone else says. Do the PT (especially the exercises they send home!!) even though it hurts and you'll be back sooner than you think.

I had outpatient arthroscopic surgery - in and out of the hospital in 5 1/2 hours - I'm a horrible patient. Can't stand being in the hospital and can't stand having other people wait on me. My boyfriend insisted I stay drugged up for 12 hours and then I was on my own the next day when he had to work. I was up and doing minor movement with it in about 24 hours. I stopped with the pain killers within 24 hours as well. Don't like being on drugs either...

Did 1st PT 3 days after surgery and only ended up going 3 times since it healed faster than my Dr. thought it would. I could lift my arm straight over my head about 5 days after surgery - hadn't been able to do that in years. He now says that riders are his favorite patients - I've even beaten out the farmers! I'm about 2 months out and have almost full range of motion and no pain - 1st time in 10+ years!

Good luck!

Comment

Oh boy, my favorite topic. Not. Have had both shoulders done-- open surgery on the right with full thickness rotator cuff repair, clavicle resect, removal of bone spurs; arthroscopy on the left for bone spurs, clavicle resect, and two small tears which just got cleaned up a bit and didn't need to be screwed back down again like the other one.

The open surgery was hellishly painful for a week or so and took over a year before it felt truly 100%. The good news is, it was almost six years ago and my shoulder is great-- I never even think about it. I, too, am a one woman show around the barn-- 10 horses-- and wondered what the hell I was going to do. You do get creative-- I found out I could actually clean stalls while wearing the shoulder immobilizer. Also, that it pays to have at least one horse in the barn that neckreins! I found that even though I could tack up and get on, it was a while before my shoulder really was strong enough and flexible enough to offer quality rein contact to my horse-- so I just rode one-handed for a while. Honestly, it is good practice!

The arthroscopy was way easier in the immediate post-surger stage-- way less painful and more movement right away, less time in the sling. Full recovery, though, still a lot of work. I am 55 and in excellent shape--actually doing all the shoulder therapy has been good for my riding and overall well-being since I am even more attuned to the importance of posture and core strength. Additional strength training (after PTis over with) has been extremely helpful iin aiding complete recovery.

Good luck, and have faith. Horse people are nuts, creative, tough, and nearly bulletproof!
                www.baymarefarm.net

Comment

I have had 4 surgeries on my shoulder. 1/2 of my collar bone is gone, I have 6 screws and a bunch of plastic in there as well.

I am with the others FOLLOW THE ORDERS. Seriously if not, the chances are it wont heal right.

I am still recovering from my last one but, I can saddle a horse, trim horses, carry water buckets ride and so fourth.

Not everyday is pain free for me, but it is manageable and my shoulder does not pop out of joint all day.

Comment

I wrecked my shoulder shortly before getting pregnant and though I needed surgery (rotator cuff tear) I couldn't have it. I ended up having to take a break from everything for a few months (not related to the shoulder) and whadyano - the darn thing healed itself! Blew my medical mind, but I'm certainly not complaining!

Give the drugs and rest a good shot before you opt for surgery, IMO.

Good luck!

Comment

sorry to come to this late--I think that 40 years of horses has put my right shoulder over the edge. It was many years of hauling buckets, and the one year of stall rest(leading an obstreperous horse is murder) did me in. My job is not helping me.

So, what were your symptoms? I have a hard time getting my arm up straight over my head--and can't rotate my arm to read my watch to save my life.

I am right handed, and while I don't ride anymore, I work, and use that arm for most everything (shoveling poop and grooming included), not to mention eating and other things. I can't imagine NOT having my arm for 3 weeks or more.

Tell me, how did you get it diagnosed? I had an xray and was told I have a calcium deposit on the subscap muscle at the attachment. The MRI is $1200, most of which I would pay as deductible.

Can you all give me an idea of how much surgery runs, just out of curiousity? I'm 47--and I have this niggling feeling I really should do this sooner rather than later. Especially because I have a teenager still at home who could help me a bit.

TIA
                      Ellipses users clique ...
                      TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Comment

I had x-rays, dye injections, MRI's and cat scan. Mine were paid for cause I was hit head on to her neglect of wearing her glases *duh*

Mine was, could not turn my arm, no over the head stuff, popping out of joint, aching, blue fingers and constant pain sometimes bringing me to my knees.

Most hospitals do sliding scale fees or charity care, something to look into.

Comment

oh yeah, and I can't sleep. It hurts like a mother at night. I finally just went with Ambien, it's less hard on the stomach than anti inflammatories.

I do have insurance---just curious.
                          Ellipses users clique ...
                          TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Comment

• Original Poster

My Symptoms? Sleep is impossible without lots of drugs. While I have good range of motion, but I have a lot of pain doing it. No strength. It "catches" constantly. Have to use the BIG mounting block because I can not help myself up. I feel little "ripping" impulses in it all the time.It feels like anything from a dull knife to a searing hot sword through it at all times. I have 90/10 BC/BS with a $250 deductible - which I have not even begun to use. I find out Thursday......
                            "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

How long did it take to get in and get it done?

It took me about three years to get a doctor to actually do x-rays, because I had great flexibility and range of motion. When I finally went to a good doctor it was about 2.5 weeks from first appointment to surgery day (those weeks were filled with a referral to a better doctor in the same practice, MRI's, nerve tests, numerous x-rays, and lots of poking and proding by my MD and some med students). Once I saw the better shoulder doctor it was exactly 1 week from that appointment until surgery.

How long were you really down where people had to wait on you hand and foot?

A week of actual hand and foot waiting on - I couldn't do ANYTHING myself, about six weeks where I needed help with dressing, brushing teeth, etc. 3.5 months of needing someone to drive me everywhere, and then it was another two months before I was comfortable driving on the interstate.

How long was your rehab?

In a sling for over 3 months, 10 or 11 months of PT, and it's now almost 2 years since surgery and I still have pain in shoulder and neck. My MD wants me to start PT again.

When could you clean stalls again?

Probably a year. I can now clean a stall or two, but I don't think I could do more than three stalls without lots and lots of pain - this is 2 years post op.

When could you saddle a tall horse on your own again, mount up & ride? Lunge(I have not been able to lunge comfortably for 6 years).

I wouldn't risk lunging even now (unless it was a horse that can basically lunge itself). I was riding after 1 year, but it was painful, painful, painful. Saddling a tall horse after 1 year, but took some major creativity. I really don't have much strength in my left arm.

For whoever asked about cost of surgery, I added up mine (which was covered 100% by insurance) and the actual cost of surgery was just under $90,000. I needed one on one work with a physical therapist for the first 6 or 7 months and my PT was not covered by insurance - it was $99 a visit x 2 a week. Needless to say it was costly. I had problems with one of my MRI's being covered, and paid just under $1,000 out-of-pocket, it took 1.5 years to reimbursed for that. I spent $300-400 on taxi cabs and/or paying a friend to drive me places, and also had my boyfriend (for free) driving me to and from work everyday. I couldn't type for about 3-4 months, and still have lots of pain after a long day of typing. The surgery itself took close to 6 hours.

The weird things I never would have thought of that really bothered me were: wearing a bra (I had to tuck the straps in on the left side, bc even the slightest bit of pressure really hurt for quite a few months, washing my hair (couldn't blow dry or style it for about 6 months), buttoning pants, and moving clothing from laundry to dryer (plus folding it).

In case you were wondering my surgery was to repair multiple direction instability causing recurring dislocation, and a handful of tears. My x-rays from pre-surgery are quite funny... the shoulder is literally 2 inches below the socket.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "While girls schools are notoriously wild, the true party-hearty girl attends Hollins" ~The Preppy Handbook

Comment

Working...
                              X