• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

An Update For Everyone - Pictures Included - Long

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flower power- its good that IYD was stating her views, and explaining why she didnt do it. but do you see her asking their opinions? do you see her trying to absorb knowledge?

another thing how do you see it as a quick fix? To me, longing isn't a quick fix [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (Assuming you mean it is a quick fix by longing a horse before you ride, or using a training tool-which I never use...) I never longe a horse before I ride him unless he is a clients horse and is dangerous to get on without expending excess energy first. Through the training, the need to longe before riding becomes less and less.

For myself and experienced individuals that I have known and worked with, longing isn't to be used before riding to 'calm a horse down,' it is used as a way to build back muscles on a horse without the added stress of a rider, to exercise a horse when there isnt enough time to ride, or exercise a horse coming back from an injury that isn't ready for a rider. What abou getting a two year old used to saddle? There are many useful jobs for longing, in my eyes, the ones I named are just a few.

I am interested in how you view it is a quick fix.

AQHA and TB clique member, and founding member of the Pony Clique! Nothing Beats Ponies!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sawbuckaussies
    some pics up, but under construction!

Comment

• I have a dumb blonde question. What does "NH" Stand for?? It is used all over and "I" cant find a meaning.......

*~Charity*~
      *~My Best Effort*~
      Member of GA & CASG clique
      *~Charity*~
      *~My Best Effort*~

Comment

• Natural Horsemanship - that is, someone training in the style of John Lyons, Tom Dorrance, et al. Often but not always including round-pen work.
        If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

• natural horsemanship...but my hand isn't over the Bible.

AQHA and TB clique member, and founding member of the Pony Clique! Nothing Beats Ponies!!
          http://community.webshots.com/user/sawbuckaussies
          some pics up, but under construction!

Comment

• <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jubilee220:
            flower power- its good that IYD was stating her views, and explaining why she didnt do it. but do you see her asking their opinions? do you see her trying to absorb knowledge?

another thing how do you see it as a quick fix? To me, longing isn't a quick fix [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (Assuming you mean it is a quick fix by longing a horse before you ride, or using a training tool-which I never use...)

... ... ...

I am interested in how you view it is a quick fix.

AQHA and TB clique member, and founding member of the Pony Clique! Nothing Beats Ponies!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*I* don't see it as a quick fix, and I do lunge my horse. But I know some top level trainers DO see it as a quick fix, in fact MOST of the horse people I'm around NEVER lunge. I do think she was asking for advice and I don't know whether she is trying to absorb knowledge or not - and I don't think that should be a requirment. I'm not trying to argue or pick sides, I just read the post and thought everyone was over reacting to what she said. I don't know if she went back and changed posts or not, but I don't see any of the 'this post was edited' messages. But if she did, maybe that means she has absorbed some knowledge or maybe it means she didn't mean it the way people took it. It is difficult to get a point across in writing I think, it is easy to offend when you don't mean to. I am just giving her the benefit of the doubt like I hope I am given whem I am posting. If she is 'stirring the pot' and trying to upset people, in my view, she is doing a mighty poor job of it. She seems to be trying to word things carefully to NOT irratate people.

~Chestnut Mare Extraordinaire~

My Equines:::
            Flower: http://www.eqbydesign.com/flower.htm
            Quin: http://www.eqbydesign.com/quin.htm
            Half Magic: http://www.teamwindchase.com/Half_Magic.htm

Comment

• Altho I am brand new to this forum I see that as in any general population discussion, there are a magnitude of differences of opinions and varying shcools of thought...I sought this particular thread out, as I mentioned earlier, because my horse and myself have been "out of circuit" for about two years do to an ongoing battle of my own physical illness. I can only base my thoughts on how my own body is responding to increased physical activity and useage...which leads me to reconize that my darlin', JJ is also probably gonna be slower to come back into shape, even tho he has had full pasture range of six to tten acres or space to stay active in. This is why I chose to "pick the brains" of those who have been active, and probably more experienced thatn I in bringing US back to "life". I have riddden and learned and lessoned in all areas of horsemanship since I was 8 years old...and I am no spring chicken now with two kids in college and one more just a few years behind. I would encourage Andrea to accept the info she receives here with grace and graditude...take what works and store the rest for future possibilities. I would also encourage those of you who are frustrated with her "defiance" and "additude " to remember that if she accepts your advice, terrific...if not, it is her loss. I am sure that since she is at a barn whith other horsey people, her babies are probably fairly safe and well taken care of, even if she does make mistakes. Remember, we all have and do...But know that I don't "approve" of her haughty reactions to the advice and responses..none of us deserve to treat each other that way, especially if we are asking for advie! I knowthis is lon-winded...and I am not saying anything much more thatn you all have already said; except that as a newcomer I am anxious to hear positive thoughts and ideas, not bashing. I have had previous experience on a dressage forum and often found it frustrating when personalities clashed...I mean the whole idea is for us to share with one another and help each other out, right? If anyone has any more info for Midnight (JJ) and I please don't hesitate to share it. Horses are my passion, my lifeforce...they and my children are what kept me fighting a lifethreatening and crippling disease. The doctors thought I may not eer walk again only last January...and I am able to mount my 17'1 TB (who is the best friend in the world) today and ride( well, walk for a while and even manage a slw, sitting trot for a bit). Let's stop the bashing and get on wiht sharing and supporting..Ok? And Andrea, you sound as though you ARE fairly knowledgeble, know your horse, and care a great deal...your greatest challege is not how you ride, or what you do but what you are willing to try. My best to you and your babies...Stay with it and don't give up!

Midnight's Momma..and Bella(the mustang)...and Jake ,the Beautiful Belgiun gentle giant.
              ~~~~~ \"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.\" Albert Einstein

Comment

• Please forgive my typing errors and the longevity of my post. I do not presume to know everything about the "family" here...just what I have read from most of the previous posts and the thread of the conversations. I will re-check my typing before I send from now on as my fingers do not yet go where I ask them all the time and I tend to get lazy before pushing that "send" button. A VERY special friend and close person to me recommended and set me up on this forum and I thank each and everyone of you for your interesting information and thoughts. Thankyou "FreedomsBlue" for a way to reconnect to the wonderful world of special people, those blessed with the love of horses, without having to leave the farm! Again, my best to you all. Midnight's Momma and "Family"
                ~~~~~ \"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.\" Albert Einstein

Comment

• Just a little note- you can actually go back and edit your original post, if you notice typos or spelling errors.
                  Have fun on the boards [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

*EMMA*

Comment

• <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emma MHC:
                    Just a little note- you can actually go back and edit your original post, if you notice typos or spelling errors.
                    Have fun on the boards [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

*EMMA*
                    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Psstt... Midnight's Momma is MY momma too!!

heheheh

Sarah

"Half the failures in life arise from pulling in one's horse as he is leaping."~ Julius Hare
                    ________
                    Sarah
                    formerly known as Alohamora
                    \"Half the failures in life arise from pulling in one\'s horse as he is leaping.\"~ Julius Hare

Comment

• It looks like, from the pictures, that the horses in question are pretty well cared for. Who cares if she doesn't like longeing?

Comment

• Read thru 9 pages of this thread and have to admit i feel both irritated by and sympathetic for IYD. IYD, you seem like a hard headed ambitious kid- I hope you find a trainer you canwork with (and that can work with you) eventually, because otherwise you will have to rely on self criticism(which seems to be in short supply) and as they say of the school of hard knocks, a fool will learn in no other. However, it sounds like you're working with a NH trainer now, and it does seem unfair that those who have been flaming you for not being able to work with someone should be flaming you for beleiving your trainers opinions of lunging.I train horses and teach people, and it is sometimes surprising to hear from a studenttheir condensed version of your philosophy. BBers- argue with the trainer- don't take it out on the kid. I have to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of lunging- I use it when i'm breaking a horse or checking one for lameness, but thats it. A lot of emphasis has been placed on the benefits of CORRECT lunging, but thats certainly not something your going to be able to pick up off the internet. Its sort of like groind driving- it works great for some people, but its not something that you can give someone a blueprint of and have them go home and be anything but dangerous. The fitness thing- I wouldn't show a horse who 'd been back in work a week- whats the point- but there is a lot of difference in bring back a lay up from a leg problem, and starting up a turned out horse who had an abcess.
                        I guess my last point is twofold and basically about politeness- I havent been doing the internet thing for a long time, but it seems to me like talking a stranger in a tack store. If they ask for advice, give it honestly. If they say something that calls for comment, comment without making ad hominem arguments.
                        I guess this is the second fold of that point- How many of us would have been as quick to jump on IYD if she wasn't 14? I admit that one of my first response to one of her other threads was"i'd like to smack that child", but honestly, thats not my or any of our jobs.
                        Good luck and continued learning, IYD&gt;

Comment

• Forgive me for not reading the entire 9 pages of this...reading 3-4 was enough for me. I don't know what has been said...be it positive or negative.
                          HOWEVER, I do know that 9 pages is a bit MUCH for a topic like this.
                          I think the whole idea was for her to get an idea of what others thought of the "mares" conformation. Instead it's completely turned into a Love/Hate relationship. Well, I guess I can hardley say love.
                          I can't believe I'm actually posting to this again.
                          Is is just me or is this OLD NEWS [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]????????? Possibly just my hormones speakin'...who knows [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
                          Nat

***2weeks to go and counting~WHOO HOO***and my unborn child already has her spurs on....OUCH!!!
                          www.kimballphotography.smugmug.com
                          ~*~Mom of the wonderful Nikolas aka \"Niko\"~*~
                          **Proud member of The Colorful blinb-bling helmet, SCgirls, BGSGand the EquinePhotog (do we have one yet?) cliques**

Comment

Working...
                          X