• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

"Flatwork" v. "dressage"... Are hunters the demise of American Show Jumping?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But a horse does lower his croup when he is just about to take off in front of a jump.

Anyone who has ever played a sport knows that you do lots of drills and exercises that help you attain strength and fitness as well as improve coordination. The same thing with horses - you ride them in different frames depending on what you are trying to accomplish at any given moment. You don't always ride as you would in the show ring, or really forward or really collected, but a combination of them to focus and correct your horse's weaknesses.

Use the Force.
    Man plans. God laughs.

Comment

• Yes, absolutely. There are plenty of holes in Littauer's theories. Another is when he claims the piaffe is not engaged at all (because the hind legs aren't tracking up?) and says the picture of the three year old greenie trotting on the forehand is far more engaged than the piaffe. It is an interesting book. I wish the ODG was around today--I'd love to take him on.

Kathy Johnson Dressage
      Kathy Johnson

Comment

• This is an interesting thread to bring back [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"Proud Member Of The I Loff Starman Babies Clique"
        http://community.webshots.com/user/cotswoldjr
        http://temp.hillcresttrainingnet.off...m/default.aspx
        [url]
        Starman Babies

Comment

• <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rileyt:
          Whew! Thought that would get your attention! OK. Really not trying to start a fight, but provoke a good discussion. As some of you may know, I just returned from riding in Germany, and I saw lots of things there that made me think. Here is one. Recently, I think, despite good horses and good riders, the US has been only mildly successful in International Show Jumping. The Germans, on the other hand, have done quite well. I had a chance to attend a smallish show, and watched several jumper classes. Even in the 3 foot divisions, I saw almost NONE of the scary riding I see at the lower level A jumper shows here. The horses were 99% warmbloods. And went almost EXCLUSIVELY in SNAFFLES. I saw ONE gag, and ONE pelham the entire day. One thing I noticed... all of these competitors, even at the lower divisions... could have ridden a solid 1st level dressage test in a heartbeat. The horses went in much more of a frame, were far more engaged, and the riders rode more vertically and less forward than here. There is no "hunter" division in Germany. When the riders warmed up, they did "dressage"... in a first or second level frame. Now, I know some very good hunter and jumper riders whose "flatwork" really is "dressage". But I know far more whose "flatwork" consists of walk-trot-canter in a hunter frame... with an occasional smaller circle, or turn on the forehand, or shoulder-in. I'm just wondering if there's a connection.

Do Germans learn how to engage a horse's hind end and RIDE the horse better than us?

Is it because they are taught "dressage"? Instead of aimlessly cantering circles and calling it flatwork?

Is the hunter "frame" (a longer, lower, more forward moving gait) and style a detriment when our hunter riders switch over to jumpers?

Thoughts?

Please don't blast me for picking on hunters... I think they have their place, and no one would fox hunt in a second-level dressage frame! But I'm wondering if the fact that most of the country starts with hunters ends up hurting us when they try to transition to jumpers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not made my way through all the posts, I am jumping in from the top so to speak.

Having had my start in riding in Germany I can tell you there aree a few things that are totaly different.

We don't start out as Jumpers - just like that old movie: You have to learn how to walk before you can fly! There is no such thing as riding for a few month and then being let loose on the jumps. First you learn to master your horse - in *Dressage seat* the two point is reserved for when you are out in the field - after you had plenty of lessons and shown that you can be let out of the arena.
          Getting to jump is a mile stone - not getting to canter [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Before you can get to anytype of show - lowest level ( category C excluded) you need to take a test for the Riding Badge in bronce - a low level Dressage test, including medium trot and canter, and lead change through walk, backing up a length, a volte. And then you get to jump a course - I don't know how high, but I'd guess near the 3' markmaybe a little lower (but not much)

There are no W/T classes there are junior classes, a glorified lesson set up, you just don't get corrected (in the group) and intro dressage 9for juniors usually - who'd want to ride around with kids for a show carrier in groups of four, still including a lengthening of the canter.

As wether the Hunters are the death of the Jumpers - I don't know.
          In the past there have been many US riders who are just sweet to watch, light and forward, Joe Fargis, Conrad Homefeld, Anne Kursinski, to name the ones I can remeber, and they kicked butt when they apeared on the international stage!

But now they seem to ride so *German*, hanging on the bit, ever more gadgets put on the horse....or if they do ride nice, they lack IMHO the proper horsemanship, the care one ought to have dealing with a living creature.

Seems to be connected with the problems VIriding academy sees in the sport....

[This message was edited by Alagirl on Dec. 04, 2002 at 03:12 PM.]
          Originally posted by BigMama1
          Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
          GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Original Poster

Bumpkin! What are you DOING??? Don't you know I can only be responsible for stirring the pot on so many threads at once? Someone will have to sit-in for me... I'm busy making trouble on the dressage forum. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Half of Riding is 30% mental ... no wonder there are so many bad riders [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

• I always cringe when you see kids being told "Extend the trot" and think it means Go Faster, or "sitting trot," which means do the Western Pleasure Jog.

"Bridle up" always gets me as well.

Comment

• I watched someone last night, for the millionth time trot around quite quickly thinking she was doing an extended trot, when her horse was all strung out and looked as though he was going to plow his nose through the arena footing.

"Proud Member Of The I Loff Starman Babies Clique"
                http://community.webshots.com/user/cotswoldjr
                http://temp.hillcresttrainingnet.off...m/default.aspx
                [url]
                Starman Babies

Comment

Working...
                X