• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

So what did you guys think of the horses in LOTR: Two Towers? (Let's try to keep it horse related now... aren't I good, Erin?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by artienallie:
    Just because as we were coming home yesterday from our 3rd viewing, I said I wanted to be an elf - so I could do that cool vault onto the horse.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But there's a caveat in that I'm geeking over the movie too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] If I can geek over wanting Boromir's wardrobe, you can geek over the horses.

I love these movies. Raise your hand if you want a house that looks like Edoras. All that Celtic knot design work with gold accents. Suh-WEET. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Niners aren't linear; we're everywhen.
    Niners aren\'t linear; we\'re everywhen.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drifting cloud:
      The actor who plays Gimli is actually a large man. I think he's somewhere around 5'10" and he's very thick-framed and solid. You'd never know it by watching Gimli in the movies!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, John-Rhys Davies is closer to 6' 2" or thereabouts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I agree that they did a wonderful job of hiding that fact in the films.

Niners aren't linear; we're everywhen.
      Niners aren\'t linear; we\'re everywhen.

Comment

Uraeus is the name of Aragons horse (warmblood stallion) He was Lockie Richards FEI level dressage horse, and Lockie has used him for breeding as well. Uraeus loves his second career as a filmstar!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel Tavy:
          I saw it with Britney last night, and lets just say that we were both completely glued to the screen. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I loff Shadowfax [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
          I loff Aragorn and his horse [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
          I loff Orlando Bloom [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
          I loff the entire thing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

_If you lose yourself, your courage soon will follow. So be strong tonight, remember who you are... (Bryan Adams, "Sound the Bugle")_
          <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DITTO! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm pretty sure this is how I break it down:

-I'm an official LOTR junky now. Never have I seen a movie that made me wish I was there more than this one, I just absolutely loved every single second of it.
          -I'm going to marry Legolas for his incredible athleticism and blonde, hot, elf-ness. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
          -I'm going to marry Aragon because he is the most amazing character. So brave and beautiful. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I feel kinda bad though, taking him away from Arwen, because she is like super cool. Oh, and I'm also stealing Brego because I am absolutely in love with that horse. I think he was my favorite character. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Okay, was it just me, or was anyone else slightly drawn to the leader of the elf army's blonde hotness too? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I was like "WoW!" Then, umm, I kind of cried. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I think he really got to me when the elves first arrived and he gave that speech to Theodan about the allegiance they once had, etc. So lovely! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

One more thing, I think, Am I the only one who thought Golem (or smeegle [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]) was totally cute in this movie? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] I just thought he was so adorable! The split personality thing kinda freaked me out though... Yup, okay I'm off to surf LOTR sites. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~Rush Hour~
          *Children's Jumper Clique*Thoroughbred Clique*NH Clique*

"... Tiny tots, with their eyes all aglow, will find it hard to sleep tonight."

*Britney*
          ~Rush Hour~

**Proud owner of a spunky Alydar grandson**

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kachoo:
            And am officially smitten with all things Middle Earth. I read the books so long ago that I've forgotten nearly everything - the movies have rekindled my desire to go read them again. I'm going to agree with those who've mentioned that the horse scenes are visually stunning - Shadowfax cantering up the hill made me sob like an infant, and the cavalry, led by Gandalf and Shadowfax, charging into the orc melee nearly made me wet myself. I've never seen a movie that made every hair on my body stand up so darned often.

I think that Gimli is hilarious, and I just wanted to squeeze the adorable Merry and Pippin to my bosom. I didn't pick up on much sexiness between Frodo and Sam (who is the sweetest, truest man-servant ever), but I did see a few lingering gazes and almost-spooning action that hinted in that direction [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. Aragorn just smolders, but I must say I am among the hordes desperately lusting after Legolas. This is interesting, because while I think that Orlando Bloom is cute enough, it's his elf self I find absolutely delicious - what is it about that quiet, enigmatic, graceful, slender, arrow-shooting blondness that is so darned HOT?

I'm rooting for a Men of Middle Earth Calendar or something. With a limit, that is - I have no desire to see Gimli or Gandalf in mesh briefs [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

But for now, I'm off to sleep.

Cheers,
            Susie
            http://www.kachoom.com

"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!" ~Homer Simpson<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VERY well said, Kachoo. I agree entirely with everything you said. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~Rush Hour~
            *Children's Jumper Clique*Thoroughbred Clique*NH Clique*

"... Tiny tots, with their eyes all aglow, will find it hard to sleep tonight."

*Britney*
            ~Rush Hour~

**Proud owner of a spunky Alydar grandson**

Comment

Next time I fall off, I'll be like Gimli and yell "That was deliberate! That was deliberate!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Amazing movie, got all choked up when the big bay laid down next to Aragorn. Got the chills when the riders of Rohan charged the Urok Hai.

I actually started to like Golem, especially when he was talking to his other "self" telling it to go away... but the ending made me worry, because now he seems like he is an evil little dude. Dunno, I haven't read the books so I guess I'll just have to wait *another* year!

Erin and Instant Karma
              "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got."
              http://hometown.aol.com/ws6transamgirl/index.html
              Erin and
              Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 416 HorsePower:
                I actually started to like Golem, especially when he was talking to his other "self" telling it to go away... but the ending made me worry, because now he seems like he is an evil little dude. Dunno, I haven't read the books so I guess I'll just have to wait *another* year!
                <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love Gollum, he was soo amazing in the movie and he is one of my favorite characters. (I can also do a very good impression of him! LOL) Andy Serkis who did his voice and all the movements for Gollum deserves an Oscar.

Anyway...keeping this horse related..theres and article by the AHA that talks about training the horses and that they are looking into how the horses in LOTR were treated...very interesting.

http://www.ahafilm.info/movies/movie...phtml?fid=7471

-Kris
                -Kristen

Comment

Why not read the books then? LOL

If you do, the treachery he hints at in the end of the movie actually DOES take place in the 2nd book (they cut it out of the movie and moved it to the third so that it would be another hour long, LOL, and so there'd be enough good stuff for the 3rd movie).

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

**and people say gov't employees are useless... HA!**
                  "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Read a book *GASP*!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
                    Actually, I'll read all of the books after seeing the last of the trilogy. Whenever I read the book first (Jurassic Park, The Horse Whisperer, etc.), I was disappointed when I went to see the movie.

Are there any websites that have information regarding The Return of the King?

Erin and Instant Karma
                    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got."
                    http://hometown.aol.com/ws6transamgirl/index.html
                    Erin and
                    Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

Comment

actually you'd be surprised- I've read the books over and over again for years, and I'm not disappointed in the movies in the least- they re-create the feel of the books better than any movie I've ever seen. Some of the details are different, but it was like watching exactly what I had imagined on the big screen... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

**and people say gov't employees are useless... HA!**
                      "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

The women and children thing didn't bother me in the least. In days like those the women worked hard to raise the children and keep them alive and feed their families and husbands who were in charge of protecting the village.

It is not a slight to women to protect them. Men are much bigger and much stronger. Women can certainly fight to protect themselves, just like the blonde royal woman in the movie said. All the women in that Rohan town knew how to use a sword. But that doesn't mean they can hold their own against an army of men who weight 100lbs more and spend their days preparing to fight.

In times like those, people had a place in the workings of the society. Women are then only ones who can bear children, and they can only bear one at a time. They are mothers and nurturers and they are crucial. Who better to ensure their survival and that of their offspring than the man who weighs 250lbs and his only job in life (if he is a knight or soldier) is to prepare to fight well and hard.

Like I've said before, we are different! Just because a man is more suited to carrying out hand to hand combat, doesn't mean a woman is useless.

I liked the movie, I need to see it again for it to sink in... it was long and a little overwhelming.

martha
                        Proud member of the * Hoof Fetish & the NervousNellieWorryWart* cliques!

Comment

I fully admit it I am disturbed.As I told my very good friend Golddust ( who was laughing hysterically)how gone I was over Aragorn ( Viggo)I admitted that it was sick and I am too old for this behavior but hey its Xmas.I told her that I was so obsessed by this that I had done a search on my fav only to find out that he is a published poet ,an artist who has had many shows at serious galleries throughout the US.Ok so she is laughing at me hysterically .I am done in I know it ! Is there a 12 point program for those of us who are in serious need of help?
                          I want to see it again...
                          Brilyntrip

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Artienallie:
                            <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drifting cloud:
                            The actor who plays Gimli is actually a large man. I think he's somewhere around 5'10" and he's very thick-framed and solid. You'd never know it by watching Gimli in the movies!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, John-Rhys Davies is closer to 6' 2" or thereabouts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I agree that they did a wonderful job of hiding that fact in the films.

Niners aren't linear; we're _everywhen_.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He IS tall! We saw him at the premier last monday and my friend and I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out if it really was him or not because he was so tall!

I know that the people who play the hobbits aren't actually short, but are they really tall too? How do the movie people make them look short?

-Caroline
                            "If I go crazy then will you still call me SUPERPONY!"
                            -Caroline
                            \"If I go crazy then will you still call me SUPERPONY!\"

Comment

A couple of ways. First off, whenever they are standing alone or talking together (just hobbots) then the sets around them are built extra-big.

In some scenes they have "body doubles" who are literally itsty liitle people who are really that tall in life. They wear special masks in the exact shape of each character's face. Frodo's body double is a wee Indian man named Kieren (sp?)

In some scenes "forced perspective" is used. This means that one character sits further away from the camera than the other, and the sets are broken into "near parts" and far parts" that line up perfectly though the camera. In Fellowship, the scene in Bag End with Gandalf sitting down and Bilbo pouring tea is a Forced Perspective shot. If you watch reaaally close, Gandalf's knee knocks the table, and only the front part moves.

In a few scenes, they used "Big Rigs" which were people on stilts walking by to make the hobbits look small. (They ended up using this less than they thought they would).

In a few scenes, different characters acted in front of blue screens, and then the images were composited together to make one shot.

Ca you tell I'm in love with this movie!? Can I join the Aragorn Fan Club? Ooh, he's so *serious*. Legolas is a girly man, and he spends more time on his hair than me.

To keep it horse-related, when Arwen is carrying Frodo to Rivendell on Asfaloth, Frodo is just a puppet she's carrying in front of her for the most part. Oh, and Liv Tyler is scared of horses!

Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Britney:

-I'm going to marry Legolas for his incredible athleticism and blonde, hot, elf-ness. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
                                -I'm going to marry Aragon because he is the most amazing character. So brave and beautiful. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I feel kinda bad though, taking him away from Arwen, because she is like super cool. Oh, and I'm also stealing Brego because I am absolutely in love with that horse. I think he was my favorite character. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No no [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .... You cannot have both! It's called sharing, and it's the whole idea of the Holiday season. So, having said that....I get Aragorn because he's so brave and has a nice horse. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] You can have Legolas because he has nice hair. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Yes, Big Elf Army Leader Guy was quite nice looking too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

No, I don't thing Golem is cute. I did when he told off his bad side, but at the end of the film he just reverted back to his former creepiness [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ...

If you lose yourself, your courage soon will follow. So be strong tonight, remember who you are... (Bryan Adams, "Sound the Bugle")
                                \"Horses change lives. They give our young people confidence and self esteem, they provide peace and tranquility to troubled souls, they give us hope.\"
                                - T. Robinson

Comment

I can tell I'm not the only one who has watched all 12 hours of extra footage on the FOTR Extended Edition [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-Kris
                                  -Kristen

Comment

Ok all the smiley gaga flirty crap between Aragon and the blonde lady bugged me.

He seemed to be looking at her and remembering his true love, which is understandable, but she bugged me being all coweyed over some guy she just met who clearly has a woman already.

She better go away!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

martha
                                    Proud member of the * Hoof Fetish & the NervousNellieWorryWart* cliques!

Comment

Guilty! Guilty as charged!

Cut Eowyn some slack. She hasn'r seen anyone worth looking at who wasn't her brother or cousin in like... ever.

P.S. she's not going away. She hasn't had a chance to prove it yet but she is a serious ass-kicker.

Comment

I just got back from seeing the movie. I LOVED it like I knew I would! The stallion was gorgeous, I about cried when I saw him cantering in the field. *melts*....Oh and Orlando wasn't too bad looking himself! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~*Lindsay*~
                                        An aspiring photographer specializing in dressage, eventing, and hunter/jumper digital photography.

~*Co-founder of the COTH Photographer's clique*~
                                        Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Comment

• Original Poster

I am still working on getting through all the hours of extended footage.

I thought there was an actual Nat'l Geog. special on the making of FotR on it, but maybe that's on the extra-extra special edition.

I wish there was a whole docu on the DVD on the horses! Maybe there will be on the TT DVD.

"And Max said, 'NO!'"
                                          -- Maurice Sendak

*** Member of the Rust Clique ***
                                          *** Member of the Ebay Anonymous Clique ***
                                          *** Member of the MKF (Michelle Kwan Forum)***
                                          Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                                          X