• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Seller now asking more than horse sale ad? *UPDATE on page 6/post 115 :D*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saidapal View Post
    Everytime a deal has started to take strange turns in my life, and I have tried to make it work regardless, I have ended up disappointed, screwed, sorry.
    True enough! Two of my geldings came from the same type of situation...the first time, I had fallen in LOVE with a gelding I worked with, had a solid deal with his trainer, and got back from the bank to find that he was sold and gone to another trainer. Two days later, I was told about a different horse - and 15 years later, I realize how blessed I am to have HIM instead. Fast forward to this past year, and the identical thing happened...I was offered a good looking chestnut, set a pickup date, and the trainer decided to keep racing him instead of letting him go to a guaranteed good home. Two days later....guess what?
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Comment

• Original Poster

Well the seller got back to me and said she would sell him to me for $5000, his asking price. My husband wants to stay firm on $4500, so we'll see where we go with that.

Tonight I am looking at a WB cross and my trainer called me this morning telling me of two horses she knows of for sale in my price range. One is a TB who is kind of green but totally willing and the other is a seasoned WB that knows his stuff. She said at one time he was going for 30k+ but the owners need to sell him ASAP due to the economy. I am going to ride them both tomorrow.
      Owned by an Oldenburg

Comment

12 years ago I made an offer on my foundation broodmare. Full asking price. Had her vetted. Arranged a pickup time. Got a phone call the night before I was to get her that she had been sold to someone else at twice the price who showed up with cash. Called the trainer at the barn who verified. Within a couple of hours I was more angry than sad ....and getting angrier. By dinner time I was in full BITCH mode. I called the owner and gave her a piece of my mind. What did I have to lose? I'd already lost my horse. I told her that not only would I never do business with her again, but I would make sure that every show that I ever went to, every horse person that I ever ran into would know about her unsavory business practices. I wasn't nice. At all.

At 5am the next morning I got a phone call from owner who apologized and told me to come pick up my horse. 12 years later it was still one of the best purchases that I have ever made AND I did business with that owner again.

http://ironhorsefrm.com/reelproper.htm
        Holly
        www.ironhorsefrm.com
        Oldenburg foals and young prospects
        LIKE us on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimi La Rue View Post
          Well the seller got back to me and said she would sell him to me for $5000, his asking price. My husband wants to stay firm on $4500, so we'll see where we go with that.
          I hope you told her that $4,500 is your top offer, and you have 2 horses to see tomorrow.

I told you she'd come running after you. It was all a bluff, to get you to pay more for the horse. What an assbucket!
          Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

FWIW, I don't think that a $4500 off on a $5000 priceis a LOWBALL offer in any way. Now $2500.............. grrrrrrr
            Holly
            www.ironhorsefrm.com
            Oldenburg foals and young prospects
            LIKE us on Facebook!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
              12 years ago I made an offer on my foundation broodmare. Full asking price. Had her vetted. Arranged a pickup time. Got a phone call the night before I was to get her that she had been sold to someone else at twice the price who showed up with cash. Called the trainer at the barn who verified. Within a couple of hours I was more angry than sad ....and getting angrier. By dinner time I was in full BITCH mode. I called the owner and gave her a piece of my mind. What did I have to lose? I'd already lost my horse. I told her that not only would I never do business with her again, but I would make sure that every show that I ever went to, every horse person that I ever ran into would know about her unsavory business practices. I wasn't nice. At all.

At 5am the next morning I got a phone call from owner who apologized and told me to come pick up my horse. 12 years later it was still one of the best purchases that I have ever made AND I did business with that owner again.

http://ironhorsefrm.com/reelproper.htm
              Wow and you have every reason to be mad! After she vetted and you agreed to pay full price? Maybe they assumed she wouldn't vet but once she passed they upped her price? I am glad it ended up being a happy ending for you though!
              Owned by an Oldenburg

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by arabhorse2 View Post
                I hope you told her that $4,500 is your top offer, and you have 2 horses to see tomorrow.

I told you she'd come running after you. It was all a bluff, to get you to pay more for the horse. What an assbucket!
                I did because it's all my husband will pay -- even if I cry to him about it lol.
                Owned by an Oldenburg

Comment

Can you scrounge up the remaining $500?
                  Boss Mare Eventing Blog
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

would you believe I had two people do the same to me a couple of years ago? And these were 20,000 and 25,000. horses. One I looked at for the first time, took a video to show my trainer and as I was leaving she said "you have 24 hours then the price goes up 5,000". The next said "the price you saw in the ad was the 2006 price, it's January, and I want 5,000. more. Neither horse was under saddle as both were 2....so it was not a training issue.
                    Needless to say, I did not take a second look and one of them hounded me for a couple of months. Too late honey!
                    Humans don’t mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. –Sebastian Junger

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
                      Can you scrounge up the remaining $500?

Yes, husband just gave in.
                      Owned by an Oldenburg

Comment

Wait a few more days and she will come down to $4500. Besides, you might like one of the horses you are trying tomorrow better.

Be sure and tell the seller you are looking at other horses.

Comment

Buy it and be happy you have the horse you wanted!! Good luck with him/her!!
                          http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Mimi La Rue View Post
                            Yes, husband just gave in.

LOL, good guy, but it's now a matter of principal...

Comment

oy, Mimi La Rue - hold your horses!!! If you decide to 'buy' this horse after the 'mind game' the seller has played with you, please go back and ride this horse again. Spend several hours with the horse, and make sure that this is the horse that makes you smile. Sometimes, as happened to me, the game makes you want something that you really don't want. Does that make sense?? You should have the biggest, sh**ta** grin on your face when you're on this horse. If not, pass. Doesn't matter that you 'won' the game.

Comment

and your husband is a doll.

Comment

My only question would be, is why on earth was the horse advertised before at $12,000 and then again on another site for $5000? Why the $7,000 difference?

Comment

Yeah, Look at the other horses. Let the lying seller sweat a bit. In this economy, you might find an even nicer horse for less money.

And yes, why $12,000 and then $5000? Because of the recession?

Comment

Originally posted by Beasmom View Post
                                      Yeah, Look at the other horses. Let the lying seller sweat a bit. In this economy, you might find an even nicer horse for less money.

And yes, why $12,000 and then $5000? Because of the recession?
                                      Might even get it for 4k or less... play hardball...there are PLENTY of really nice horses to be had right now. there is NO reason whatsoever to let yourself get hoodwinked like that!

Comment

I would keep looking for a horse OP. Based on that gap in prices on various sites alone....

Comment

I would ask that question also. maybe the $12k was an old listing and she has since realized she must sell- so lowered it to get him moved?

I drastically lowered the price of my guys for different reasons. One I had xrays done on and found she has some athritis in one ankle and needs maintenance- she went from mid-5 figures to 4 due to that and being unfit now.

The other had been young and well started and shown a few times ...and sat in my field for 2 years due to pregnancy, etc. He is sound, xrayed clean, but now 2 years older and should be showing- but still sitting in the field. I dropped him drastically but he's still a lot for a prospect. I can sit on him for another year and he'll be the soundest 7yo out there!

So... there could be different reasons. Greed and ignorance (in a good way) are the most common. A lot of times we hope to get "sedimental" prices for them and it takes the unseasoned seller awhile to figure out the horse is only worth "x" no matter how much you love them! The first mare was showing successfully and I didn't put her up for sale until after I got pregnant. Then she wasn't showing. Her price honestly did a landslide in one year!

Originally posted by jse View Post
                                          My only question would be, is why on earth was the horse advertised before at $12,000 and then again on another site for $5000? Why the $7,000 difference?

Comment

Working...
                                          X