• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to own horses...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to own horses...

Is as ludicrous, enraging, and as misguided as the law in Florida which forbids gay couples from adopting children.

Hans and I watched the hour long program exploring this issue -- mostly in tears. How can anyone/state/President possibly justify such a stance?
  • Original Poster

Is as ludicrous, enraging, and as misguided as the law in Florida which forbids gay couples from adopting children.

Hans and I watched the hour long program exploring this issue -- mostly in tears. How can anyone/state/President possibly justify such a stance?

Comment

Man, that really frosts me. Isn't there an address for the governor of Florida that we can all write to about this rediculous law? I really admire Rosie O'Donnell for speaking out about this.

Comment

Welcome to the USofA's bizarre moral politicing Heidi.

It's almost like everyone knows that the politicians are full of BS but they feel the need to keep up the facade anyway. There is a huge incredibly right-wing bizarro-religious segment of the US. HUGE. And not too visible in everyday life, but they control a lot of money. When I took classes on evolution in college, there was organized hecklers, distrupting our classes. I mean- get lost.

I am constantly amazed by the c$%p spouted by most mainstream religious figures in the States. Our local paper recently ran an opinion columnist who said that people used birth control pills as a recreational drug!!!!! Yeah, they make you feel really really nauseous, always a popular high. Around here people like to quote the Bible to back up their desire to drill for oil in nature preserves. Funny, in my 12 years of religious schooling, I just don't remember that coming up..

You did know that the Southern Baptists voted to boycott Disney a couple years ago due to their decision to give same-sex couples health benefits (again welcome to America's bizarre belief that healthy people worked hard for the money to afford being healthy and poor people don't deserve it, or gay people, or people living in sin)

Comment

Well, Florida isn't known for it's ability to make good decisions... or ANY decisions. I mean, we can't even vote without screwing everything up.

~Erin B #1
          I lost my Yahoo password today, so they asked me to confirm my identity. Easier said than done.
          Erin B #1
          erinbardwell.com

Comment

I'm a little confused as to what you're talking about...natural blonde here...please speak slowly.
            Just because I have a short attention span doesn\'t mean I

Comment

There is, in fact, a website you can go to in order to learn more about this case, and also email Governor Bush (AKA the President's brother) to let him know your thoughts.

www.lethimstay.com

I only hope that the politician they interviewed was specifically chosen because he would make a huge idiot of himself, and make it clear how ridiculous his views are. I certainly hope he is not an average politician in Florida.

Comment

• Original Poster

Maggymay, I read your comment:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>moral politicing <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> as moral poulticing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Though, on second thought, it's a neat theory - pack on some liniment and gauze to the heads of some and suck out their idiocy.

KH, in a nutshell, the state of Florida will not allow gay couples to adopt children. They can be placed in the home of a gay couple as foster children but remain barred by law from adoption.

Comment

My cousin and his partner are raising his partners kids.They were removed from the mother for a very serious offense. Good thing they are in Maine and not in Florida. Would they have denied the father's right to parent because he was gay? They are great parents and role models and to deny anyone who is willing to take kids into their home is sad. At least they teach tolerance of all people- maybe some politicians need to go live with a gay couple and get their heads on straight.
                  Ugh horse feathers! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

No horse can go as fast as your money does when you bet on him.
                  Funbonnets.com

Comment

There is a poll on the CNN website on Gays and Lesbians adopting Children. It was 47% for and 53% against when I saw it.

It boggles my mind , how with so much cruelty and hatred and disgusting behavior in the world.....that these wonderful children..who have no one to love and care for them would be denied loving caring parents.

I just cannot believe that these wonderful children are being denied such wonderful parents....that is what is happening.

Heidi thank you very much for bringing this up and making it so relevant.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
                    "All life is precious"
                    Sophie Scholl

Comment

It sure got my attention!

As did that ridiculous, and I mean ludicrous discussion show last night [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

I only caught part of it, but it made me so mad, and frustratingly sick that I switched channels. Did anyone else think that the man hosting the show was embarrased everytime he had to say homosexual? He just looked so sheepish everytime he said it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Interesting that some of you brought up how some of the big religious/conservative groups in the states still react to this stuff. I was talking about it with some friends awhile ago. For such a big forward thinking country like the US, I can not get over how backwards some of it really is.

Your TV stations will show violence ad nauseum, but g*d forbid you show a bit of nudity or say the lord's name in vain and POOF! its off the air [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Apparently Europe is the opposite - will show nudity ad nauseum, but will ban many overly violent shows. Go figure [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

But yes, that show last night was hard to watch, and rather sad actually. Well, guess I'll go back into my closet [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
                      You Strike Me Still

Comment

Well that seems to be a little bit of backwards thinking. Wether or not someone believes that homosexuality is a sin, a loving home seems by far a better option that an orphanage or jumping around from foster home to foster home. Besides, child molesters are usually heterosexual, if that's the supposed concern.
                        Just because I have a short attention span doesn\'t mean I

Comment

There is so much hatred and fear towards Homosexuality....it is almost unbelievable.

I think it is the treatment of Gays and Lesbian that really opened my eyes to so many problems of biogotry and hate.

I met one of the nicest people I know a few weeks ago at a friends party, we were talking throughout the evening and then he was telling me about a horrible incident in which his nose was literally shattered by some backwoods idiot in the town he went to college in. He was literally waiting for a cab to go back to campus after being out in the town at a bar with some friends and this guy who was with his Girlfriend (probably his sister too!) walked past him and called him a faggot and kicked him right in the face with a steel tip boot. I was horrified, Not that I have never heard of such things...but with all of the places I have gone and the people I have met, this was such a direct link to unimaginable hate..for me anyway, one that I have never experienced....I actually feel differently now about a lot of things. I would not trade my life for anything, well ok maybe a few things!LOL but seriously I truly have been sheltered and out of touch of a lot, I will not say ignorantly but naively.

When I see the abusive parents out there and the children who have no voice and this large resource of people willing to become parents....to care and love a child...it is unbelievable.

Thanks
                          "All life is precious"
                          Sophie Scholl

Comment

Are we all talking about the same show? Diane Sawyer interviewing Rosie O'Donnell and others about the issue?

A few facts from the show, for those who didn't see it:
                            There are more than 3000 kids in foster care in Florida who need homes.

The child in question has been raised from the age of 9 weeks by these two men. He and the other kids in the household all had serious health problems when they arrived.

Now that the boy is healthy, the state of Florida is trying to remove him from the people who have raised him for the last 10 years. Legally, they cannot adopt him under Florida law.

Thoughts? Reactions? Comments?
                            www.lethimstay.com

Comment

I hear a *lot* about why gay's shouldn't be able to have kids/adopt/teachschool/asoasf. In fact, in '93 or so, a professor at the school was FIRED because of his homosexuality.

I stay out of the discussions as I disagree with them entirely, and don't feel like starting a war or making them decide that I'm "bad"... (as an aside, the mormon ex-boyfriend absolutely DESPISED gays)..

At the same time, I can understand where their reasoning is coming from, re: them not being allowed to raise kids, etc (even though I disagree, I understand the reasoning behind THEIR opinion). I don't, however, understand why homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to own horses? Or was that just a subject heading tha confused me????

OTOH, these exact reasons are why I so despise organized religion and the church as an institution. Why preach tolerance and acceptance while judging and restricting???

That irked me. I just don't get it.

OTOH, for a disney funny... I had a boss at one point, and he and his wife HATED Disney and wouldn't support it at all (I believe the ywere baptist..)... because "if you look at the Little Mermaid, she defies her father constantly. It doesn't teach to obey, it teaches to defy" and so on and so forth. I just kind of sat there going "It did?"

BC

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
                              Lindsay & Chance
                              "The problem is not that I am insane,
                              it's the everyone else is sane."
                              ^^^^Proud member of the DCSC!^^^^
                              &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
                              *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
                              "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
                              &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

Comment

This issue is so not horse related why is it posted???

SLW
                                "It is I."

Comment

Great Forum Title! sure got me to read this thread.
                                  I watched too and since I never watch much besides Animal Planet and the Discovery channel, I am very glad I stumbled onto this show.
                                  What seems SO ironic is that the adults who create the rules like Florida's seem to forget the most basic christian rule - that is that the life of the child is what is important. If the CHILD was the center of the debate - really the center - then love, care, home, safety would prevail over ALL OTHER considerations. Rosie was so eloquent on the subject!

So these wonderful caring adults who feel gays should not adopt would rather let these children get booted from one foster home to another (at taxpayer expense - like to point out the money issue for the conservative right) than be with those.....those......those ....loving, caring deeply devoted queers????

WE are a sad sorry lot, we bipeds.....

Comment

The way I would see this as horse related, is that the horse world, well the H/J world, has always had a large proportion of openly Gay male trainers. Therefore not only have many riders GROWN UP with a variety of gay adult figures, but Gay men and I am sure Lesbians have established themselves as caring,trusting, involved, dedicated trainers and teachers and in many cases mentors, surrogate parents and role models.
                                    "All life is precious"
                                    Sophie Scholl

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SLW:
                                      This issue is so not horse related why is it posted??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because its an important issue, and Heidi obviously felt deeply compelled to bring it to our attention, using a very good analogy, if I may so [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Who knows, it may be locked any minute, but considering the large amount of insanely fluffy and silly off topic, non-related horse topics that get posted here on a regular basis, I'm surprised you are complaining.

I would take an adult discussion about a serious subject, and how it could relate to our industry over a non-sensical post about "my car died" or "help me choose my next boyfriend" any day [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I only saw bits and pieces of this Heidi - but enough to know I didn't want to sit through the rest of it. Ironically, my roomate and I switched over to Will and Grace and watched an episode where Jack is interacting with his son. Interesting eh? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jair:

Your TV stations will show violence ad nauseum, but g*d forbid you show a bit of nudity or say the lord's name in vain and POOF! its off the air [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
                                        <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or you could be like the ABC affilitate that airs here at school--apparently a show on the station featured a kiss between two teenage girls, and the Lynchburg station was the only one in the country that didn't air it. I wonder if a certain right-wing religious leader based out of that city had anything to do with it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I didn't see either show (I too was watching Must See TV), but I'm constantly amazed by the levels of bigotry and hatred that people are capable of. What on earth does that say about someone, who judges others based on who they love? I'd much rather see a child in a home being raised by two people who love the child and one another, regardless of the gender, than see one child raised by hate-mongers.
                                        A Year In the Saddle

Comment

Working...
                                        X