• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Neighbors Boo-Hooing over horse in backyard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbors Boo-Hooing over horse in backyard

http://www.zootoo.com/petnews/neighb...eingarage-1237

What do you think?
    Boss Mare Eventing Blog
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Some people feel the need to whine about pretty much anything if its not against the law then they need to mind their own business or get the law changed to what they want.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Comment

It is too much money to pay $500/month in board but it is not too much money to pay $20/day to the town until the permit goes thru?

Comment

What I think

While it may not be illegal my $.02 says:

*1/2 acre allowing for a house on the same site, leaves precious little space for "pasture"

*tethering a horse on a 30yd line is asking for an accident to happen - a highline might make more sense, but not for all day

*at $20/day they will be paying $600/month - boarding at that price (which is in the middle of the range listed in the article) would make a lot more sense, financially and for the horse's welfare

*does BF's Mom know anything about horses? Since she is the onsite caregiver, you would hope so...

If all of these concerns were addressed then maybe the cheapskates would have a case.
        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post

The neighbors need to mind their own damn business and quit whining.

I'm more bothered by obnoxious snotty nosed bratty kids than I am a horse being kept in a garage. Maybe the town should charge parents 20$ a day to encourage parents to keep their brats from running loose.

Where I live I can usually get permits within a few days or a week or so. If that's the case there it would be cheaper than a boarding bill. Just a guess.
          Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
          Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
          -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The bit about the neighbor and his children "suffering" was a bit over the top. And worrying about a loose horse being hazardous - for the horse maybe - but I really don't think it is going to run around and attack the children!

Not the most orthodox way to keep a horse but as they said it was short term and they were checked out and everything was fine so I don't see what the big deal is. I remember when lots of people had a horse or two in their back yards.

ETA: I figure that they are paying $20/day and figuring the permit will be issued in way less than a month.
            Last edited by lcw579; Mar. 13, 2009, 11:58 AM. Reason: added thought

Comment

How many days do they have to pay the $20? If its a week thats much cheaper. Theres literally millions of horses in this country on less then a 1/2 acre. A 30 yard line is alot I keep one on a 30 foot line in the summer for years now.

Comment

I agree County. I see nothing wrong with them having the horse there. Not something I would do, but heck, it is their horse, go for it.

But the article said they would go on paying the $20/day which implied it was going to be more than a couple of days.

We all know that getting things out of a governing body can take longer than is logical.

Comment

My daughter's pony visits our Suburban home regularly....

If we're going to a show early, or having a birthday party, my daughter's 12 hand pony sleeps in the backyard overnight. The neighbors who know don't care, or aren't legal enough to call authorites.

My daughter thinks it's hilarious to walk the pony through the garage and into the backyard, and is never happier to wake up than when her pony is nickering at her window.

If it's not against the law where that horse is living, and the SPCA has looked into it, neighbors are just gonna have to deal.

Comment

It didn't imply anything to me as far as number of days could be 1 could be 101.

Comment

We had to move our donkey home when I was a kid because my pony was trying to kill her at the barn where we kept everyone. So the donkey moved home until she had a place to go. Our yard wasn't fenced all the way so she had to go out on a long line. She never had any problems.

Comment

BTW if these people are " cheapskates " does that mean anyone that doesn't own 100's of acres for their horses are also? After all every bit of reserch I've read says the best way to keep a horse for its health is on 100's of acres of grass lands with a herd of its peers.

Or is someone only a " cheapskate " if they do something differently then the one calling them that?

Comment

Funny article, I actually dream about this all the time, including last night. Last night I dreamt that my horse was tied up in my garage and I was trying to work on some turnout in the baseball field across the street or in the backyard, but in the backyard I was worried about the in-ground pool. In these dreams I am always so thrilled to have her so close to me, but feel bad for her b/c of limited turnout.
                          Katie Ruppel & Yellow Rose Eventing *Website* & *Facebook*
                          Email for Questions/Clinics/Sponsorship

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that the neighbor with the biggest mouth and gripe about all this has the most obnoxious children running throughout the neighborhood with no limits, along with an unleashed dog who defiles everyone elses lawn and roaming cat who sprays EVERYWHERE....
                            Crayola Posse: Mulberry

Comment

• Original Poster

Having the horse tied is no bigge, in Cuba they tie all their horses randomly wherever they please.

I find it ironic too about the neighbor worrying about his kids, meanwhile horses can do something for children and people that is unexplanable and amazing. Those kids are BETTER off with horses next door!
                              Boss Mare Eventing Blog
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

Diane Grandy to The Daily Transcript. "This is a hazard to my neighbors, to my children. I'm trying to raise my family here and I can't."

Because he can't afford to take care of his horse or at a farm or stable my family has to suffer

Good LORD! Is his family sitting under the poor horse as it pees? Is the horse taking up space on the family couch? How is this horse making it impossible for Ms. Grandy to raise her family in the neighborhood? How is her family 'suffering?'

I'd be really interested in knowing if Ms. Grandy's spoiled rotten child has ever annoyed a neighbor, or left a toy in someone else's yard, or taken a shortcut across property that wasn't theirs. Some people need to just get over themselves already!
                                If you love me let me go....

Comment

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
                                  I find it ironic too about the neighbor worrying about his kids, meanwhile horses can do something for children and people that is unexplanable and amazing. Those kids are BETTER off with horses next door!
                                  I wish the reporter had asked the kids what they think. I'll venture to guess the kids would think it is very cool to have a horse nearby!
                                  "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

Another one

There was a recent complaint about a mini in central KY recently. There was no applicable law so they are now looking at passing one. Seems like they are taking a reasonable approach though:

http://www.amnews.com/public_html/?m...43&format=html
                                    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Comment

[QUOTE=lcw579;3944659]The bit about the neighbor and his children "suffering" was a bit over the top. And worrying about a loose horse being hazardous - for the horse maybe - but I really don't think it is going to run around and attack the children!

QUOTE]

Took the words right out of my mouth. Some people really need to get a clue. OMG, it's the dangerous attacking horse! Oh never mind, he's just eating the lawn.
                                      Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

whoever thinks that having a house and a horse or two on the same half acre is not possible, should take a look at some of the very exclusive and expensive horsey LA suburban neighbourhoods in southern California.

But then the words "pasture" and "Los Angeles" do not usually go together in a sentence.
                                        "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

Working...
                                        X