• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The Paul Valliere ad in the 11/15 Chronicle

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to everyone who helped to explain who pv is. How revolting and how can someone have such NERVE! But I suppose that explains why he does what he does. There are truly despicable humans in this world. Makes me want to retreat into a world of just animals.

Texas sheetcake is almost as good as Mississippi Mud cake!

Comment

I was offended after the whole horse killings and PV being exposed to read that article last year about one of his older students, reading her rave about PV as a trainer.
      I still think the writer could have found someone else's student to write about.
      It is the only time I was disappointed in the COTH.
      But I don't have a clue why that article was written or printed. JMHO

"Proud Member Of The I Loff Starman Babies Clique"
      http://community.webshots.com/user/cotswoldjr
      http://temp.hillcresttrainingnet.off...m/default.aspx
      [url]
      Starman Babies

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bumpkin:
        I was offended after the whole horse killings and PV being exposed to read that article last year about one of his older students, reading her rave about PV as a trainer.
        I still think the writer could have found someone else's student to write about.
        It is the only time I was disappointed in the COTH.
        But I don't have a clue why that article was written or printed. JMHO
        <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, maybe because the student was a noteworthy person worth writing about?

I never read that partiuclar article and don't know who it was about, but it seems to me that if someone rode well enough and was successful enough to merit being noticed by the COTH, they should be able to thank whomever they like. Who you train with, for good OR for bad, shouldn't factor into that one iota.

I'm not that familiar with the advertising side of things at COTH, and I don't know if they turn down ads, and for what reason.

Comment

For the sake of discussion, to those who are outraged, my questions would include:

Are you ...

1. Going to write a letter to the editor?

2. Threaten to cancel or outright cancel your subscription?

3. Stop distributing COTH (if, say, you own or operate a tack shop and it's available at your establishment)?

4. Cease to participate in this online community? How do you think this bandwidth is paid for? Advertising dollars. And part of those may come from questionable characters.

5. Do nothing -- just keep ranting about it?

I agree that no one ever should forget what happened. I guess I'm just wondering, as we're on the third thread or so in the past few weeks, when the pages upon pages of outrage will turn into any action, what that action might be, and if that action is appropriate.

Is saying, "I'd never train with him," really saying that much? Take me, for instance. He's several states away from where I live, I couldn't afford him, and I'm probably not good enough to ride on that level anyway. So me saying something like that is, essentially, absurd and empty. It makes me a lemming of sorts.

I'm going to really dork out here but oh well ... I saw Sam Donaldson on a lecture tour a few years ago (that's right ... paid money to see Sam Donaldson ... and he ROCKED!) When someone asked Sam whom he admired most, he said George Will. And he said that because, as much as they differ from time to time, George had completely thought out his politics. He knew himself inside and out, Sam said. There was continuity to his behavior, right down to every last detail. The way he lived his life fell in line with his philosophies, according to Sam. That's such a lame example -- sorry -- but it's the only one I can think of to set up my (way too long-winded) questions.

I guess what I'm wondering is, for anyone who is outraged, how much have you thought through your stance? Does it transcend empty threats (like mine) to never train with the guy or directly give him money? And if not, are you satisfied with that?

Not pointing fingers, or I'd have to point a big fat one at myself for being wishy washy. Just looking to prompt a bit of a different discussion beyond the standard, "That's reprehensible!" Because that's pretty much written in stone.

Comment

...and MR. VALLIERE may not apply to the Association for reinstatement any sooner than 10 years from the date he first became suspended by the Association on account of his indictment for the crime in question and then only based upon affirmative proof of total rehabilitation, including proof that he has taken steps to reform himself and has performed community service to benefit the welfare of horses.

Bingo! Mystery solved. The frightening thing is that 10 years will have passed in just four more years. He will be back.

~Kryswyn~
            "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
            ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
            Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

Maybe he did not need to donate much.

How many animals were in the world trade centers?

It seems to me more people were affected then animals ,it's not as if it were a forrest fire in the middle of a game refuge or animal park!

I may be way off base, but my reaction to the first ad was ,hmmmm was this an animal disaster? If not many animals were affected ,well how much donating would there be?

Anyone have any thoughts my direction ,or am I just crazy to see a diffrent spin to this?

Comment

Can you say lawsuit?

Sorry, but I am one that agrees with free speech.

The same liberty that allows all of you to say what you do on this BB also allows anyone to take out an ad in COTH provided they pay the fees.

Think about the helmet ad placed last year.

They had every right to take it out.

You may not agree with what he does or what he says, but he is a free man in a free country, as are you.

And I must say for someone that you all seem to dislike SO much, you spend WAY too much time talking about him.

rant over

and rockstarr - I have ridden with him and would again if I was in the same situation.

Would I leave a horse in his care, probably not, but there are many other trainers that I would not leave my horses with either and many of them that I would never pay for a lesson from.

Comment

Regarding the WTC, yes, there were lots of animals affected. The ASPCA was down there for a week or two rescuing animals trapped in apartments that were off limits (or whose owners simply weren't coming home [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ), there were TONS of search and rescue dogs involved, etc.

Back when I USED [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] to work for an animal health care magazine, we did a slew of post 9-11 stories. You wouldn'ta thunk there'd be animal angles, but there were. Not sure there are many left NOW, but anyway...

And I have to say I agree with WC Princess. I'd rather a publication allow anyone who can pay for it to take out an ad, rather than have some sort of screening process by which someone would "qualify" to advertise. When you do that, you allow too much subjectivity into the mix.

I have heard of publications turning down ads based on their content -- the example I can recall is my college newspaper choosing TO run an ad that other college papers had turned down (something claiming the Holocaust didn't happen [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ), specifically because they felt they shouldn't deny those people an avenue to voice their opinion.

But I can't say that I've ever heard of a publication turning down an ad because of WHO was placing it... not saying it's never happened, but in my limited experience, I've never heard of it.

Comment

IMO, Paul keeps running these ads for two reasons:

One, he wants to schmooze people (especially the unknowing) into thinking he is a wonderful caring person when it comes to the welfare of animals in distress, so that when his 10 years are up, the newbies will welcome him with open arms for being "so wonderful" &lt;&lt;puking smilie&gt;&gt; [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img], and,

Two: to rub it in the AHSA/UsaEq's face that even though they've banned him because of his reprehensible acts, that there are enough people out there keeping him rolling in dough, who care more about winning than about the animals they ride, that they will do "whatever" it takes to win, including training with someone who is one level below pond scum. IMO. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

~&lt;&gt;~ Remember, the Ark was built by a rank amateur; the Titanic was built by a team of experts~&lt;&gt;~

Comment

My Opinion. If PV really cared and felt sorry for what he had done, he would leave the horse world alone, and get a job selling cars or something else. I don't really think a tiger changes their stripes, and I would have a hard time believing he is sorry for anything other than getting caught. But even so, when you betray an animal like that, you have no business having anything to do with animals again for the rest of your life. Again, my opinion.

I also believe that anyone that would not want to puke if he was in the same air space, must be OK with killing animals if is suits their financial purpose, and they are also not ones I would choose to have contact with, or ever sell any of my horses to.

If PV (or Barney Ward, etc) could guarantee my horses would win every show they ever entered, they would not be welcome to breathe their airspace. I would prefer that my horses/kids never had any show future, than to degrade them by letting garbage come near.

Darlyn
                      http://www.fairviewhorsecenter.com

Are We Having Fun Yet?

Comment

..why not tell us what you REALLY think? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

(By the way, I totally agree with you!)

Comment

Anyone know who "The Oxer Group" is? According to the Advertiser's Index they're the one's who placed the ad.

I'm staying out of the rest of this issue - it makes me sick. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Comment

And I must say for someone that you all seem to dislike SO much, you spend WAY too much time talking about him.

And who might you be to decide that WCPrincess? Or does free speech not hold true for us?

Comment

but around Oct/Nov does anyone recall him taking out a smaller ad saying he was going to donate 1/2 of his profits from a few months to the animals of the WTC?

We start believin' now that we can be who we are. -Grease
                              You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

Comment

Kryswyn - Yup! I believe you hit the nail on the head!

Rockstarr - yes, I will be penning a letter to COTH expressing my opinion on running the ad! I don't give a damn about free speech (sorry, but in this case I just DON'T) when it comes to this particular matter. Yes, I believe COTH should have not accepted the ad - I doubt it's absence would break the bank - it is HYPOCRITICAL, IMO...a mag that celebrates the horse yet forgives & forgets what was done to those horses? Morals & ethics? Whose, you ask? Well, I'd be willing to bet all horsepeople would say those actions were immoral and unethical. And if I did subscribe to COTH, yes, I would cxl my subscription based soley on the inclusion of the ad.
                                But this is only my opinion.

My horse bucked off your honor student!

Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dementia 13:

And who might you be to decide that WCPrincess? Or does free speech not hold true for us?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I said it is the free speech that allows you to have this thread.

My point was simply that by the continuation of these threads and there have been MANY, all you are doing is giving him publicity.

Good or bad, you are still talking about him and that is publicity you are generating for him.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WC Princess:

My point was simply that by the continuation of these threads and there have been MANY, all you are doing is giving him publicity.

Good or bad, you are still talking about him and that is publicity you are generating for him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are absolutely correct. What is that saying, "No such thing as bad publicity."

Comment

I have to disagree. The number of people who knew nothing of PV before we started discussing him is astonishing. Every time the subject arises, someone else says, "what'd he do?" So, instead of thinking, 'What a great, caring horseman to give all that moola" they think, 'What a repulsive scumbag."

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
                                      You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

Since he doesn't seem to be going away, I like to think these threads are more educational then publicity. I'm amazed there are still horse people who *don't* know about the whole criminal enterprise he was a part of and as long as there are, threads like this serve a purpose of educating them.

I don't hold anything against COTH for publishing the ad....and I am a subscriber. The ad doesn't do much IMO for PV anyway, because those who think he has no part in the horse biz aren't going to be swayed by it and those who support him aren't going to become any more supportive of him because of it, either. The one good thing it does is it continues to educate those who lurk and post here but still don't know who he is. The fact is, legally he's paid his debt and as a free person if he wants to take out ads to toot his own horn, then have at it. I don't have to suddenly think he's reformed because he does that and I doubt many others will either.

New York Horse Rescue

Comment

• Original Poster

Said WC Princess "The same liberty that allows all of you to say what you do on this BB also allows anyone to take out an ad in COTH provided they pay the fees."

Well actually 99% of all papers will turn down ads if they find them libelous, offensive, etc. Almost every media kit and/or rate sheet will say something to the effect of:

PUBLISHER'S APPROVAL

All advertising must be approved by Publisher. Publisher may require the word "advertisement" to appear in any advertisement. Advertisers and their agencies will indemnify, defend and hold harmless any claim and all loss, expense or liability arising out of the publication of any advertising copy.

This is what the Chronicle's says (I have bolded certain areas for emphasis):

CONTRACT AND COPY REGULATIONS

All contents of advertisements are subject to publisher’s approval.

Publisher reserves the right to reject or cancel any advertisement, insertion order, space reservation, or position commitment at any time.

Publisher expressly reserves the right not to publish any advertisement which, in the opinion of the publisher, is in bad taste, could be misleading, is unsupported by facts of record, or which, in the opinion of the publisher, does not conform to the standards and style of The Chronicle of the Horse.

All advertising claims and assertions must be supported by documentary evidence, all facts verified, and if put in question by The Chronicle of the Horse, burden of proof rests with advertiser and its agency.

All advertisements are accepted and published by The Chronicle of the Horse upon the representation of the advertising agency and the advertiser that each of them is authorized to publish the entire content and subject matter of the advertisement, and that the advertiser and its agency, if there be one, each represents that it is fully authorized and licensed to use the entire contents of the material submitted for publication as an advertisement in The Chronicle of the Horse including (1) the names, portraits and/or photographs of persons and/or animals, (2) any copyrighted material, (3) any testimonials, and (4) has the right to and is capable of selling or providing the product or service advertised at the price advertised.

The advertiser and its agency agrees to relieve The Chronicle of the Horse and its employees of responsibility from any and all claims or suits arising out of publication of advertising based on information supplied by advertiser.

All advertising contracts and copy—display and classified—must be submitted in writing. An insertion order or covering letter with signature must be included with copy.

All advertising cancellations and/or copy changes, including rerun orders, must be in writing. Cancellations or changes in orders may not be made by the advertiser or its agency after the closing date.

No advertising copy will be taken by telephone.

Publisher requests typewritten or legibly printed copy; avoid strikeovers and abbreviations. Publisher is not responsible for errors in original copy or because of misinterpretation of illegible handwriting.

The word “advertisement” will be placed with copy which, in the publisher’s opinion, resembles editorial matter.

Black and white photographs unmarked and untrimmed are preferred; no proofs will be accepted. Photographs of horses over fences in which the rider is not wearing approved safety headgear will not be accepted.

When change of copy is not received by closing date, copy from the previous issue will be inserted.

Failure to place the number of ads ordered will result in short-rating with the advertiser charged the difference in rate between the actual number of insertions placed and the number scheduled by contract.

Publisher shall have no liability for errors for which written notification is received from advertiser later than two weeks after issue date. The publisher’s liability for any error shall not exceed the cost of space occupied by the error.

So, yeah, they could have turned it down but didn't. I would have; however it's their paper so it's up to them. But it made me RETCH.

Comment

Working...
                                          X