Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on Mike Hughes - horse trainer??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Mike Hughes - horse trainer??

Sick day - so I am spending it looking at ways to work with my barn sour gelding. Came along this trainer, Mike Hughes https://mikehugheshorsetraining.vhx.tv/ as well as http://crib-free.com/Crib-Free_Horse_Training.php and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7I...WfIAe_JBiq0IrQ . I have tried to search for reviews/testimonials but cannot find any. Anyone on here have any opinions/input on him??

I found this when also look for opinions on Mike Hughes. Have watched several videos and am going to use his ideas as regards horses who are afraid to have their ears handled. Was also a bit curious about other peoples opinions and like you were, am also home for the day.

Comment

I would not spend money on someone who cannot be verified. I did a quick Google search and can't find anything but what he put out there himself. He says he's done clinics in 15 different countries - did they sell out? What is his current clinic schedule? Does he compete?

A trainer who actually has a resume will have that resume out there. For example, from Warwick Schiller's website -
      "He focused on reining, his passion, eventually going on to become an NRHA (National Reining Horse Association) Reserve World Champion and also representing Australia in reining at the 2010 Alltech World Equestrian Games. He is also a successful coach of NRHA World Champions, NRHA Rookie of the Year, Australian Champions, US Champions and a fellow WEG team member."

Comment

I've been watching this guys videos and although he isn't world famous, his methods are sound. He's not a polished performer like Clinton Anderson or the Pareli couple, but I appreciate a trainer who doesn't talk to hear himself or entertain his audience. His videos are no nonsense and he's working with normal horses, not polished broke ones, so his techniques can easily be applied in real life. Where the other TV trainers take two hours to tell you something, this guy shows you how to do it and does a voice over explaining what he's doing and gets it done in twenty or thirty minutes.

I too was curious about who he is so did an internet search and this thread is the only post that comes up. Too bad because I think Mike Hughes is a good hand and his demonstration videos are great. If you have a problem horse, he probably has a video demonstrating his training methods on a horse with that problem. He also has general horsemanship videos on basic training techniques every rider should be using. Would highly recommend his videos.
        Last edited by Spur; Mar. 25, 2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I actually have a horse in training right now with Mike Hughes. Mike comes to my farm. He is quiet, calm, smart, and brave. I have a 16+hand Hanoverian who was purchased as a 2-year-old by people who had never had a horse. He was never ridden, nor trained, then abused, then starved. He came to me when he was 12. The first thing this horse did when I met him was strike me with his foreleg. He was angry, insecure, and self protective. I could not even lead him. After several mishaps with people who call themselves "trainers" the woman from whom I purchased the horse recommended Mike. I trust her judgement so Here we are. This horse tested Mike in the beginning and Mike remained quite calm, never raised his voice, was accurate every moment, and knew when to push through places, and also when to let up. He is a GENIUS, a gifted horseman who has a NATURAL talent with horses. They sense his deep compassion and respond immediately. After years of being dragged through months of training, on my various horses, with minimal success, I am astounded at what Mike can achieve in a short time. He demonstrates high moral integrity and doesn't depend on admiration to feed his ego like so many of the others.
          He's by far the best trainer I have worked with in over 40 years with trainers training my horses. If you get a chance to have your horse work with him you will never regret it.

Comment

Working...
          X