• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sticky situation. Advice Needed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky situation. Advice Needed.

Long story short, I have a horse in training at an established facility. Certainly not BNT but they get the job done and the care is great.

I seriously hurt myself and asked the trainer to market my horse (6 months ago) since riding would be out of the question for quite some time. I was told a few people came and test rode. No results. Now, I'm hearing different stories from different parties.

Then I get fired from my job. Boss said it was because Obama won the election and he outsourced to India instead. So, 150 lost their jobs that day.

Lived off of my savings while searching desperately for a new job. Savings depleted in what seemed like no time. I was very honest with the trainer. I'm out of a job and I need to lease/sell/give away the horse. I lived off of tuna and ramen for months so I could pay my bills.

Note: I always paid on time and often helped out around the barn when I could. I did whatever I could to be a 'good' client. There were people that never paid and rarely showed up. There still are.

I finally got a job and am getting back on my feet. However, I did fall behind on my board a bit. It was either pay my rent/eat or board. I was at an all time low. I sold off everything I own to pay her while I was out of work--furniture, clothing, jewelry, washer/dryer, etc. You name it and I sold it. I literally have nothing left.

Contacted original owner/breeder of horse and asked if they were interested in a re-purchase. They said yes. So, sold horse and paid trainer off.

However, trainer kept my tack trunk and all of its contents (which were all *brand spanking new*). I'm being told that it is considered 'collateral' and they can keep it. Am I crazy? I understand that I was at fault. But, after paying my debt off in full they can't keep it, can they?

In the sale I agreed that all of the custom made tack would be included in the price. Now, I'm learning that the trainer took it all. Is there anything I can do?

I think a place to start is taking a deep breath.

Then... you say you paid your trainer off? then why is she keeping the tack?

Make a ledger of how much you owed her for services, how much you paid her when the horse sold, etc. Include any interest that might have been part of any contract. Did you owe her more then what you paid?

Then make an objective list of the cost of your trunk and your tack.

If you paid her like you said you did, then she has stolen property. It's simple - call the police or contact a lawyer. But if you owe her more money and she's keeping your tack because of it, then it might get sticky. Be as objective as possible regarding what you owe her and what the actual worth of your tack is and approach her as professionally as possible.

Comment

Troll?

Too many extraneous details and bad math...

Comment

The Obama comment made me think troll.

But if the tack and trunk were included in the sale of your horse, then it is no longer yours. The person who bought the horse might want it, but I guess I'm not seeing the issue here. Is it that the buyer wants the tack and you can't get it back from the trainer? The simple answer is no, the trainer can't keep the collateral if the debt is paid off. The collateral is kept only if the debt is not paid off. If the trainer refuses to give back the tack, gather all of your receipts, make sure you DID pay all the debt off and sue them in small claims court. You don't need a lawyer. They will probably give the stuff back without a trial. If it does go to trial, and is as simple as you say, the judge will award you back your stuff. (getting it back will be another story, but the law will be on your side, at least). Good luck.

Comment

If the person who bought your horse does not want the tack then it's still yours as far as I can see! Contact Judge Judy or Judge Joe Brown, either one of them would take your case on and give that ex-trainer of yours an earful, I'm sure.

It's only considered "collateral" (I would think, I'm not an attorney) if they were holding it until you paid your bill, which you did! As far as I know the minute you paid your bill it became yours again. You can't just take other people's stuff, or sell it, or give it away because you think you're entitled to it and feel like doing so!!!! There are laws in place to punish people who do this very thing....

Do you have a lawyer you can call and have him/her send your ex-trainer a letter? That might be enough to get the trainer to fork over your stuff--surely the trainer doesn't want his/her name in the paper and his/her name dragged through the mud over this....
          "I'm not much into conspiracy theories but if everyone thinks alike you don't need a plot!" ~person from another bulletin board whose name has been long forgotten~

Comment

sticky situation

In TN, I cannot hold your horse or your "stuff" legally because you owe me $$$. I can take you to court for what you owe me though. Here if someone pulls that crap, you take the police & go get your stuff/horse. Been there/done that.

Comment

First off, congrats on the new job.

Good luck getting the tack though. We had a horse in 'training' for a while and when we made the decision to move him, the tack we had provided was nowhere to be found. We did not owe the trainer any money and his justification for the missing tack was 'whoops'. My parents did go to court over the mess but the money they got back was far less than the cost of what was gone.

All the best getting things sorted out.

Comment

If you don't owe her money any more then essentially she has stolen the tack and all the contents of the trunk.

There obviously may be more than one side to this story, but if the facts are as indicated then it's pretty cut and dried.

But, of course you'd have to be able to prove what happened in small claims court. Do you have receipts for what you lost? Do you have the boarding/training contract? Do you have the cancelled checks for your payments to the trainer?

Forget all of the stuff about what your employer said or didn't say about why you were being laid off. Forget about the various stories you may have heard about whether the trainer actually did try to sell your horse.

You need to boil the story down to its essence, get your documentation in order and then go to small claims court. Or, if it's a larger sum, contact a lawyer and get the lawyer to send a letter to the trainer demanding the return of the tack or its itemized value.
                "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

Originally posted by Bayou Roux View Post
                  Troll?

What on earth is wrong with some of you people on this board?!!

Do you really think folks struggling in this economy have nothing better to do than to sit here and entertain your notions of what a TROLL is?

Get over yourselves, I'm struggling with 4 dogs and 2 horses and just found out Friday I'm loosing my job. Am I troll??????? **beating head against wall**
                  Chronicle of My Horse
                  Secret Passage Ranch
                  **a member of the
                  Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

Comment

Also, did you have a contract with her to sell the horse and pay her commission on the sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Bayou Roux View Post
                      Troll?

Troll? Why? I could see this happening to someone for real.

Just going to agree with others. If you did pay the trainer off in full, then I would think keeping your tack and trunk is stealing. Do the current owners of the horse you sold WANT the tack? Is the trainer keeping it from them? Or do they not want it and you are just taking it back to keep? Either way, if the trainer is paid off then she has property that isn't hers.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint, but, I'm not a troll. Just an average person with an expensive hobby trying to get by during these tough times. But, more importantly, trying to do what is best for this horse.

I have all of the invoices and proof of payments (final one included). I used a certain account for everything horse related. I also have proof of the contents of the trunk (everything was ordered online and receipts were archived in a special file) for insurance purposes.

The reason I included the contents of the trunk with the sale of the horse is because the original owner asked if I had any tack/blankets/etc. for sale. I said yes and since most of it was custom made for the horse that they could take it. They paid me an additional amount for these things so they wouldn't have to go through the hassle of ordering everything new.

I have the boarding/training contract saved and it doesn't mention a commission being required unless the trainer is the one to sell the horse. So, as far as I'm concerned I owe nothing more.

The horse will have a wonderful (permanent) home for life. However, the owners (whom I've known for quite some time) have offered to let me ride the horse as much as I'd like. They are only taking it to make sure it has a good home and they don't ride anymore due to old age.

Its a huge relief to know that the horse will be okay and I'll have one less expense. Now, I have to deal with this trainer and get these belongings (tack trunk with contents and the rubber stall mats--all of which I paid for) back.

I have a few lawyer friends who could help me out if need be. I would like to be nice and avoid any legal matters BUT I refuse to be taken advantage of.

To all of you who have faced hardship, thank you for understanding and offering words of support. It is very difficult when you are on your own and lose your job. But, it certainly taught me a lesson that I will keep with me for life-- SAVE SAVE SAVE and material goods do not bring happiness.

Comment

If you've paid all you owe, then the trainer is trying to pull one over on you. I'm guessing at some point they decided you weren't going to pay, opened your trunk, and the "stuff" vanished- add up the contents and take them to small claims court.

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrey View Post
                            If you've paid all you owe, then the trainer is trying to pull one over on you. I'm guessing at some point they decided you weren't going to pay, opened your trunk, and the "stuff" vanished- add up the contents and take them to small claims court.
                            I totally agree. You don't need a lawyer to go to small claims court...a friend of mine did it herself with no problems. As long as you have proof that you paid the trainer's bill, then the trainer does not have a leg to stand on. And don't forget to sue for the court costs too.

Good luck!!
                            Elisha

Comment

I'm sorry you are going through a rough time but am glad you found a good solution for your horse. Ordinarily I'm a "take the high road, try to play nice" kind of person but what your trainer did really rubbed me the wrong way. I have no patience for people who take advantage of those in a bad situation. Since you have lawyer friends I'd recommend having one of them send her/him a strongly worded letter. Sometimes the mere threat of legal proceedings can make people suddenly do the right thng. You can always go the small claims route but there is a cost associated with that. I hope you get your stuff back or at least compensation for it.
                              If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

Comment

Contact the new owner to see if trainer has passed the tack on to them. If not
                                then the person that has your tack trunk is in possesion of stolen property. If your
                                contract to sell this horse does not say anything about tack and trunk in it then
                                it actually belongs to the new owner of the horse.

Get your ducks in a row so to speak. First talk to the new owner of the horse if they
                                haven't recieved the tack from the trainer then send a registered letter to the trainner
                                (return reciept requested) include copies of all the paid bills and agreements remind the
                                trainner they have no right to hold your tack and that they have seven days from the time
                                of reciept from this letter to return it or pass it on to the new owner of the horse. If this is
                                not done then you will be taking legal action against them.

Sometimes a stiff threat will get you somewhere. However if they don''t return it with in
                                the desiganted time period then be ready to take them to court.

Comment

I would call local law enforcement and have them meet you at the trainer's facility to file a report on your 'stolen' property. A friend had something like this happen to her about 10 years ago, and as soon as she showed up with the sheriff's deputy (and me in tow for entertainment), the trainer said it was all a misunderstanding and forked her stuff over. It's usually a good intimidation move, especially if you time it for her busy time of day with clients. Regardless, it would be helpful for you to have the report even if you end up having to take her to court. You mentioned your belongings were insured, so you can also use the report to file a claim and let the insurance company go after her.

Comment

Working...
                                  X