Sport Horse Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

UMS_01

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

"Are You Ready for Your First Horse?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Are You Ready for Your First Horse?"

Okay. I'll try to keep it short.

There's a really great equine rescue operation in my area, and I'm eager to do something to help. One problem I know they consistently have is horses returned to the rescue by beginning owners - often, it seems, because they really weren't as prepared as they thought.

In order to address this problem, I thought I'd offer a workshop covering the absolute basics, as well as an email helpline for everyday problems.

This is a very rural, very farm-y area, and people tend to think that a pony can be treated pretty much like a dairy cow. We don't have big show barns or splashy trainers. What we do have is plenty of good farmland and a strong sustainable ag community.

So, anyway, I've asked around and wracked my brain, and these are the discussion topics and/or demonstrations I've decided on so far:

~ Choosing your first horse: mare, stallion (no!!!!) or gelding?
    ~ Safe fencing and housing; zoning and legal requirements
    ~ Safe leading and handling - non-Parelli (my farrier was adamant on this one)
    ~ Recognizing decent horse hay
    ~ Access to water: 24/7/365
    ~ What about grain?
    ~ Understanding body score
    ~ Understanding the special needs of youngsters and old timers
    ~ Recognizing colic and founder
    ~ Vital signs: pulse, respiration rate, temperature
    ~ Simple wound care and first aid
    ~ Basic equine anatomy and parts of the horse
    ~ The importance of vets, farriers, equine dentists and riding instructors
    ~ When should I call the vet?
    ~ Grooming and hoof care
    ~ Does my horse need a companion?
    ~ Horse clothing and tack

~ How much will all this cost?
    ~ How much time will it take every day?
    ~ Where can I find what I need?
    ~ Stall cleaning, bedding and manure management
    ~ Care of paddocks and pastures

~ What if something goes wrong?

And what else?

I feel like I must be missing a lot, and all suggestions will be much appreciated and added in pretty colors!
    Last edited by Red Barn; May. 12, 2016, 01:01 PM.

Sounds good, I would say "recognizing good hay for horses". And how about, "when should I call the vet?" you could discuss vaccinations under that topic.

You don't have anything about equipment -- how about "must have equipment for the first horse owner." -- halter and lead, saddle fit, bridle fit and type, brushes, hoof pick, blankets, fly masks, etc. Also you could discuss fly spray, shampoo, stuff like that.

One other thing, "Does my horse need a companion?" answer, no, but you could talk about horse herd dynamics and how to handle a horse around other horses.

You might find some good reference books on Amazon or maybe ask the local library to order a copy so they could read on their own. There are some pretty good beginner books out there now.

Comment

• Original Poster

Excellent points!

I'd planned to talk about companions - just forgot to list it above - but equipment had totally slipped my mind. Why, just think of all the "bad" horse behavior that can arise from terrible saddle fit alone!

Thank you.

Specific book/website suggestions would be great too. It's been a while since I had to shop for a beginners' book.

Comment

You've got most of the things that challenged me when I got my horse last year. I would ditto the "when to call the vet" and "equipment lists." You don't have anything on your list about cost and budgeting. I would hope that anyone coming to this sort of class already has that figured out but it's worth talking about and maybe showing a sample spreadsheet of monthly costs and how they add up. I also benefited from basic first aid and knowing what injuries/scrapes/situations were okay to ride with and which were not.
        When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes.
        -William Shakespeare (Henry V)

Comment

If you can provide them with a list of local tack and feed stores, farriers, vets, trainers, and pony club or similar local groups, this might be helpful as well. You should include some language about not endorsing any of them if you do this, though.

This is a very concise guide to owning your first horse. Not too detailed to be useful for the newbie who could be easily overwhelmed.

http://www.amazon.com/Look-whos-home.../dp/1491753293
          "So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

I think what would be helpful too, along the financial line is products for horse care that actually work. There are always threads about what fly spray, what do you use for thrush etc. I know of a few first time owners that will be constantly running through different products because they read something that says it's the best thing ever and ends up not working as well as they thought. For example I have not ever and probably will not ever get a special boot for when I need to pack my horse's feet. I rarely do it so I'm a duct tape and diapers person.

Comment

I might also add, "what to do when things aren't working out." There are so many posts here on COTH about just that topic.

I would discuss finding a trainer/instructor, diagnosis of physical problems, and even how to sell a horse responsibly.

It might be a bit much for the first time owner, but it sure comes up a lot. Maybe that's the advanced class!

"I hate my horse, what now?"

if you didn't want to bring up problems, "how to find a good instructor" would be a good topic.

Comment

This is a terrific idea!

Comment

I'd start with safe fencing and housing, says the girl who brought her first horse home 40+ years ago to a clothesline stakeout and didn't think it was out of the ordinary. The horse sure went WTF???

Then a little bit about experience with riding, for the first pony types. Spreadsheet for sure, and EZ vs hardkeepers in the choosing part.

It's great idea, I hope that you have lots of interest.
                  Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                  Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

You guys are awesome!

Thanks so much.

Comment

Give them all a link to COTH forums.

Comment

Looks like you've got it all covered. Now you just need to close with a strong suggestion that they lease/sponsor the horse at the rescue for 6 months before finalizing purchase!

Comment

If they're really beginners and they're riding, tell them to take lessons. They're going to need more than just a list of suggestions, they need to be able to handle the horse and have someone to ask when there's problems.
                          In memory of Apache, who loved to play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZAqeg7HyE

Comment

Good for you! Too often these topics aren't addressed until it's too late.

I would second emphasis on finances and costs. And taking lessons before actually commiting to purchasing a horse. I tell people this all the time and those that heed my advice are glad they did. One woman's little girl REEEAAALLLLY wanted a horse. They took lessons instead. Turned out little girl lost interest pretty quickly. Parents were glad they had saved a boatload of $$$$.

Good luck!!! Great idea!
                            "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
                            - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

Don't come for me - I didn't send for you.

Comment

All good suggestions. Agee with others about including finances and cost I'd also suggest including a realistic discussion of the work and daily responsibility required to care for horses in different living situations (out on pasture 24/7, in stalls with turnout, etc). How difficult it can be to get a reliable farm sitter if/when owners want/need to be away.

Comment

• Original Poster

More great points.

I especially like the idea of discussing the time it takes to do daily chores and basic care. I actually think this comes as quite a surprise to many a newb.

Thank you!

Comment

I'd also do something on basic equine behavior.

-mares, stallions, and geldings
                                  -what does a young horse need vs what does a senior horse need
                                  -breed characteristics and temperaments
                                  -how to deal with equine fear
                                  -basic anatomy (especially concerning preventing pain while riding in legs, back, and mouth)

Comment

You might consider including what legal requirements are in your area [county, state]for horse keeping, ie is shelter required and how is 'shelter' defined....

Yes for each section may be include a range of costs... ie hay can cost between $X and $Y depending on ______

I often wonder if rescues should require a certain number of hours of volunteering onsite [or at a foster who is approved to educate and evaluate the prospective adopter] before the adoption application is considered 'approved'.
                                    So many don't know what they don't know....

Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

• Original Poster

More good stuff. (Excellent point on the stallion thing, Rodeo.)

I believe this rescue does encourage volunteering, Angela Freda, but somehow that doesn't seem to be enough . . . and judging by this growing list, I can kinda see why! When you've been doing it all your life, it's easy to forget how daunting it must seem to somebody who's new to pretty much all of it.

Comment

My apologies if this was already posted, just skimmed because I'm at work. Not sure what category these would fit under but two things that came to mind:

How-to (and the importance of) proper grooming. Not saying you HAVE to groom the horse every day. But for example, explaining how important it is to pick feet frequently (can also lead into recognizing hoof problems, thrush, etc).

Basic first aid. Might have to be careful (don't want to give medical advice) but if there is a minor accident that doesn't warrant a vet, what are some basic things to have on hand and what you should/shouldn't do.

Importance of 24/7 access to clean water. I would hope this is common sense, but I'm always shocked at the number of people who think that one flat-back bucket is enough for a day or two.

This is a FANTASTIC idea. Thank you for putting the time into it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X