• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Possible horse abuse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by luckofthedraw View Post
    First off...A big THANK YOU to everyone who posted suggestions! I am looking into all of them.

Woodland- Actually, I know the people who own this farm. Other people in the "neighborhood" would agree complain about this woman too. She and her husband are not elderly, new parents, they have owned horses for a long time, and are known around town for being "deadbeats." I would certainly not jump the gun and post, if I didn't think it was a legit complaint. I live in the Sandhills of NC...home of awesome footing year round...so no, everything is not a muddy mess around here. And when the footing base of the gross paddock they are living in is manure, yes no drainage will happen. I am confident that if you saw the shape these horses are in you would agree that the owners are in the wrong.

These people are lazy and inconsiderate of their animals, i.e. don't deserve them. That's why I'm taking action...people shouldn't be able to get away with this.
    Who died and made you queen?

You want to take people horses away from them because they "don't deserve them"?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! It is perfectly possible to be "lazy and inconsiderate" and still have reasonably healthy horses.

I agree with Woodland:
    You are detailing a disagreement in horse husbandry techniques - NOT abuse.
    I also suspect that maybe you are trying to cause trouble for people you don't like under the guise of "caring about the horses". After all, not many people go around looking for excuses to sic the authorities on people they like.

If you really have a case for abuse/neglect, get off your hissy fit and what you "think" and "feel" and who "deserves" horses -- and find some actual facts. What you've got here should get your butt kicked on grounds of general silliness.

Comment

ok - so I'm clear...

Horses have food. water and shelter.

You are unhappy because
      A/ they are in muddy/manurey(is that a word?) paddocks.
      B/ you 'imagine?" since you have never seen their feet, that their feet aren't done.
      C/You dislike these people because you consider them deadbeats.

Have I got all the facts?

So lets address them:
      A/
      I have 4 feet of snow in my backyard and snowbanks up to 7 feet high around the farm
      In another month, my pastures are going to be a slew of mud(clay) horseshit and water to put it bluntly.

B/ you've never seen their feet, so how the hell do you know this is true? You don't.

C/Your like or dislike of someone has and should have no bearing on whether or not they can have animals. Seriously.. what are you..12?

Stop your car, get out, take your camera and document- I mean actually document what you see. Then you may or may not have something to take to AC.

Let me tell you a story:

Once of my older horses was injured and needed to be in a contained space to heal for about 6 mths. As he was 'senior' already - I chose to move him to my front paddock and cross fenced it so he couldn't run and would heal. Meaning he was then seen from the road. (also so my neighbor could keep an eye on him from his place across the road- to check on him throughout the day)

This horse was under a vet care, good weight, limped (injured!) food, water and a 3 walled shelter.

I had people calling AC left and right - and the little AC darlin's were obligated to trot themselves out to my farm for EVERY call- because it's their job, and they happen to take it very seriously. By the 4th call - they were as frustrated as I was at the immense waste of time caused by concerned people who couldn't be bothered to ask me directly.

I even had put a sign up on his fence stating this was an injured horse under vet care --any concerns - and my phone number. ( As I do work and I thought this might be a good idea in case he went down while I was at work - was the main objective of the sign) Still they called AC.
      Originally posted by ExJumper
      Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Comment

Let me relate two stories of husbandry disagreement within 1 mile of my home:

#1 Lovely small acreage set up with run ins and stall barn. Obviously well fed horses and pony near a busy road behind a woven wire and electrified fence. After flooding rains and melting snow = MUD! Cannon deep boot sucking catastrophic MUD! Enter a few people driving by who know nothing of horses, or simply board a horse or two at someone else's stable. Who are appalled by MUD. And the poor owner of these well cared for horses ends up literally in therapy over all the A.C. visit - poor thing! She almost gave up her horses because the harassment was so difficult for her. Well meaning passersby? Or condemning rubber neckers? This person even though she has a lovely farm boards her horses at a boarding stable so "she can sleep at night".

#2 A lady buys a first pony for her 2 yr old grand daughter. The pony is a wonderful old girl who is badly foundered and must be on a small dry lot. Her new owners prepare a 12 X 12 dry lot with a doll house of a stable for her. Miniature to fit the dear old Shetland. Same thing well meaning passersby instead of asking why the old gal was in a 12 x 12 lot with a run in called A.C. Our local A.C. is a JOKE! They harassed this poor owner until she gave the pony away to avoid the hassle. The pony recently foundered so badly at her new owner she is no longer with us. Did ANYONE bother to ask? Did the local Bubba A.C. bother to consult her vet NO!

Just a difference of opinion that is all.
        "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

Originally posted by Woodland View Post
          You are detailing a disagreement in horse husbandry techniques - NOT abuse.
          I totally agree!

And I ask that you and all your do-gooder friends do not drive by my place right now.

My two horses have shelter (stalls and a run in) and plenty of food and clean water. They are also blessed with lots of MUD! Clay sticky yucky mud! With the warmer weather we are having the huge huge huge piles of snow melting and my land is at the bottom of a hill. Guess what that means this time of year? Mud! Every where mud. And it also means I can not get out in the paddock and pick the manure out daily. I do clean the stalls and the areas I can get to, twice per day, but I am guessing to you guys that will not count if there is mud and manure where they horses choose to stand. So they will soon be in lots of mud and manure. Oh yeah, and they have limited turn out space right now too. For the two of them it is about 75' x 200' of mud. That is the sacrifice area. Oh, and so you do not have to gawk too long to be sure of what you are seeing, I will tell you that the bigger one will limp every now and again. I know, horrible isn't it. I pulled his shoes last time the farrier was here and when he finds a rock in that mud he does gimp. Mud was soon to be here, better the farrier pull the shoes than the poor horse loose them in the mud I say. That farrier visit was three weeks ago, I am sure you will find that to be neglectful too.

For the record, I am all for people reporting true neglect!
          I just get frustrated when people get their panties all in a bunch because some one else does not take care of their horse the same way they think horses should be taken care of.

Comment

Mud does not always mean abuse

My two horses have shelter (stalls and a run in) and plenty of food and clean water. They are also blessed with lots of MUD! Clay sticky yucky mud! With the warmer weather we are having the huge huge huge piles of snow melting and my land is at the bottom of a hill. Guess what that means this time of year? Mud!
            I have to laugh since I have 6 horses in the same situation (at least until I install gutters :-(... so last year I sell one of my young trained large ponies, to a nice ignorant young mother of 3 children and she intends to board, blanket, pamper this pony, etc. Heck! its her horse and she can do what she wants with him. Then she tells someone who knows both of us that when she moves her horses to her place, they will NEVER BE STANDING IN MUD~ ahem!.

Well last I heard from the vet (mutual friend as well) yep.. the ponies were standing in ankle deep mud...

It's so easy to judge from the outside without knowing all the details.
            Pao Lin

Comment

I am sure animal control has better things to do as others have demonstrated in their posts.
              I can't stand it when the nosy get their nose out of joint and instead offering help or bothering to find out the reality of an animal before jumping to call AC.
              Judging people and their ability to care for horses that are standing in mud with shelter, food and water is a little off.
              The economy is terrible. People are broke and the "deadbeats" are still finding a way to supply their horses food and water. beats cutting your expenses by turning them loose in the bush and hoping they do or don't survive.
              As far as worming and shoeing, we didn't all jump in with horses and know all we know now. It's a learning process, a process which is a whole lot easier if you have someone knowledgeable to draw from.
              The horse's feet are getting a mud bath. Heck we buy so much mud to pack our horses feet yearly, and you all are getting it for free. Lucky you.
              Common sense might indicate that if they are standing knee deep in mud, there is a chance that cracked heels might be something they might want to be aware of. And perhaps they might need someone to show them what cracked heels are and how they develop and how to remedy the situation. BUT then again they might know all as well.
              Calling AC on a neighbor unless there is very valid reason is a great way to create animosity. And you never know if someone will retaliate if they figure out it was you.
              I am always worried what might end up in my yard with my dogs. I've found everything under the sun in my yard including light bulbs. And I've only pissed one woman off in 2 years of living here.
              People wrongly accused do get cranky.

Comment

Originally posted by luckofthedraw View Post
                Woodland- Actually, I know the people who own this farm. ... I am confident that if you saw the shape these horses are in you would agree that the owners are in the wrong.
                That's jumping to a conclusion that is probably not accurate. From prior posts of woodland's I believe her stance regarding horse care is that if it doesn't actually kill them, it's okay. How's that for dull and inane woodland? Or do you have me on ignore now?
                Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

In NJ, horses come under the Agriculture Department, not Animal Control. Might try them as well.

However, I have to log in with the folks who realize during mud season you may not be able to avoid it. Its also the time of year you restrict their access to the whole field to protect the turf there for the rest of the year. Lastly, muddy horses always look more pathetic. So please... be SURE these people are really neglecting rather than just horsekeeping differently than you do.

Our guys are visiting a spa (barn with indoor) for the winter because our usual barn's owner is away for the winter this year. While its a lovely barn, the people are nice and the indoor means we can actually DO something other than driving up and down the driveway, the guys have told us several times they feel abused because they are in a lot more than they are used to because that is how turnout is handled here. Down an icy slope to the turnout fields doesn't happen when its dangerous for horses or people instead they get time in the indoor - which looks rather like the shirtless painted in team colors guys doing chest bumps and racing around in circles after a touchdown.

Comment

Honestly, this is why I wish my propery set back a bit more, and the horses don't have acess to the very front of the property line.

'Cos God forbid a horse rolls in the mud. They may DIE from being dirty.

From the description of the OP, the horses have food water and shelter. I also figure they are in reasonable wieght as well, and are otherwise in good shape.

SO, because YOU think they look unhappy, they must be so.

Because YOU think the owners are "deadbeats" they are doing a bad job and don't deserve the animals.

WOW. Since everybody else is just beating around it, I'll go ahead and just say it. You. are. an. asshat.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post
                      WOW. Since everybody else is just beating around it, I'll go ahead and just say it. You. are. an. asshat.
                      Are you serious?

What is the world coming to?

Why be a hater?
                      Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

Originally posted by Chiniko View Post
                        I can't stand it when the nosy get their nose out of joint and instead offering help or bothering to find out the reality of an animal before jumping to call AC.
                        I have a problem with your statement because the proper way to deal with a suspected case of abuse is to alert the appropriate authorities. Getting involved personally in generally not advisable.

But I certainly wouldn't be getting so upset about horses standing in mud. It looks awful but it can be pretty hard to avoid. I'm sure my horse will be standing in mud for a while after our 5 feet of snow/ice melt.
                        Jigga:
                        Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Comment

As OP mentioned, mud is rare in the sandhills. The only way you will get mud is if the horses are standing in several feet of manure. I think that is important to keep in mind.

We have really well draining sold and while many parts of the US do get med--wet dirt that hold water--we just do not get it here. Only manure and lots of it will create the "swamps of sorrow" in an overcrowded paddock here.

So the question becomes, "Is it OK for horses to stand in several feet of manure all day"?

Comment

Originally posted by saultgirl View Post
                            I have a problem with your statement because the proper way to deal with a suspected case of abuse is to alert the appropriate authorities. Getting involved personally in generally not advisable.
                            "Alerting the appropriate authorities" is "the proper way to deal with a suspected case of abuse" ONLY when the person doing the suspecting has carefully examined their observations for ignorance, foolish expectations, unwitting bias, and unwarranted conclusions and then purged their position of all but the actual facts of the case.

However, that apparently is too much bother for most people who'd rather create drama and feel important and insist on jumping to conclusions based on their own opinions. Running to "the authorities" under those circumstances is rather Madame DeFarge-ish.
                            Last edited by greysandbays; Feb. 11, 2009, 08:58 PM. Reason: Firefox didn't allow in-copy editing...

Comment

The NH state veterinarian closed a horse rescue down a few years ago due to mud.
                              Mud is not good for horses, and standing it 24/7 without being able to get out of it is definitely not good for horses.
                              The state vet felt mud constituted neglect, thus he threatened to close the rescue down, but they volunteered to close.

I live in the northeast where mud has a season...actually a few.
                              I feel people who think this is normal and do not clean their paddocks, where manure is produced, thus adding to the muddy, mucky mess are not practicing good animal husbandry.
                              Scraping away manure and mud and putting down an inorganic base(fines or stonedust) is necessary to keep horses from standing in mud.

Mud can cause all sorts of health problems from white line, scratches, abcesses, cellulitis/lymphangitis, etc

I am no fan of mud, since it really isn't 'mud' but muck.
                              save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

Originally posted by equinelaw View Post
                                As OP mentioned, mud is rare in the sandhills. The only way you will get mud is if the horses are standing in several feet of manure. I think that is important to keep in mind.

We have really well draining sold and while many parts of the US do get med--wet dirt that hold water--we just do not get it here. Only manure and lots of it will create the "swamps of sorrow" in an overcrowded paddock here.

So the question becomes, "Is it OK for horses to stand in several feet of manure all day"?
                                Must be some mighty long-legged horses if they are standing IN "several feet" of manure (which would imply at least three feet). Unless you are talking about standing ON TOP of several feet of manure -- and if they are standing on top of it, it doesn't make much difference if it's two inches or ten feet. It's not much fun to be the one who has to handle the horse's feet, but it won't hurt the horse any.

Comment

The OP makes a lot of assumptions on the horses care and demeanor when it is clear she has never set foot on the property nor handled these animals.

I think in order to make any allegations she must be certain by visiting and handling that she is correct. Otherwise she is committing slander.

Sending inspectors out because you disagree with husbandry techniques is a waste of valuable resources. If you need to see what "real" neglect looks like here you go:

http://www.hahs.org/
                                  "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

But I certainly wouldn't be getting so upset about horses standing in mud. It looks awful but it can be pretty hard to avoid. I'm sure my horse will be standing in mud for a while after our 5 feet of snow/ice melt.
                                    I have to defend the poster in question. Suspected abuse isn't always abuse. It's mud. They have the basics as far as we know, so what's the big deal.
                                    Maybe probe the situation instead of judging them without all of the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodland View Post
                                      I think in order to make any allegations she must be certain by visiting and handling that she is correct. Otherwise she is committing slander.
                                      I disagree. If an individual suspects a problem, it is absolutely not their responsibility to investigate on their own to be sure there is a problem before reporting it. If an individual suspects abuse, it is their responsibility to report it to the authorities. The authorities are the ones who make the judgement call as to whether conditions are acceptable.

I am operating under the assumption that the priority is the well-being of the animals (i.e. not someone trying to cause trouble for people they don't like!).

I don't believe any good would come from knocking on someone's door and talking to them about it directly. It will then immediately become personal, and possibly DANGEROUS if you are dealing with someone with, for example, a mental illness, severe stress, depression, etc.
                                      Jigga:
                                      Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Comment

Originally posted by Blinkers On View Post
                                        I have to defend the poster in question. Suspected abuse isn't always abuse. It's mud. They have the basics as far as we know, so what's the big deal.

This, I agree with.

Maybe probe the situation instead of judging them without all of the info.
                                        What kind of "probe" do you suggest?
                                        Jigga:

Comment

BUT in this case as Woodland said it's not abuse it's husbandry. We ought to be able to discern what is abusive and what is mud. How can one just sit back and judge without knowing fact? No matter how strong your binoculars are, they might not allow you to see the real or whole story. One would assume that neighbors are amicable, and as such ought to be able to have casual conversation and the topic comes up.
                                          Calling AC because a horse is standing covered in mud after a good roll, has long hair, because it is winter, and looks scruffy and dull isn't abuse. It's dirt and the season. Neither of which are a crime. Nor is it abuse.
                                          Maybe I live in a dream world where humans actually interact with their neighbors in a friendly fashion, And helped each other out.. imagine what a crazy world that would be!

Comment

Working...
                                          X