• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Minis - Horses or Ponies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minis - Horses or Ponies?

Last fall I got myself a miniature horse. She's cute and fuzzy and I love her. I refer to her as "my pony" (of course, I often refer to my big horses as ponies too) and this seems to really irritate those who are "in" to miniature horses. They insist that they are small horses. What exactly is the difference between a horse and a pony (besides height and attitude)? Many of the sales ads I see for minis proudly claim "Arenosa" bloodlines. From what I googled, that is a shetland pony bloodline so even if the mini was a horse, it's now mixed with pony. As an aside, my mini is out of the "Just" lines. Any mini people know what that means. Supposedly it's a good line but I can't find much info on it.

Just end of the work week wondering. My neighbor brought home a very large mini last night and I called it a "cute pony". That got the lecture going.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)
    Autumn Caper (April 27, 1989 - May 24, 2015)
    Murphy (April 28, 1994 - May 5, 2017)

I noticed it to. But I was told they have different genetics than Shetlands - but I do not see how that is possible I do not breed them or show them. They are pet therapy animals and companions here. But a but of truth would be refreshing!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

They're ponies. Ponies, ponies, ponies. Most of us will agree they're ponies.

There was a time about 20 years ago where many people considered it insulting to refer to a Miniature as a "pony" (implying they were short, dumpy, hairy Thewell beasts, which many were at that time) There was also a HUGE insult to say a Miniature had pony breeding. Oh gosh, that was BAD. My mentor got a stallion in a trade who was gorgeous and turned out 1/4 Shetland (dam was 1/2 Shetland Gold Melody Boy daughter) and they never mentioned that side of the pedigree. It wasn't until a few years later that interest in the GMB bloodline started to perk up as people suddenly realized Rowdy had been at least 1/2 Shetland, Roan Ranger was a GMB son (and had just been credited with DNA testing to siring NFC's SugarBoy), Buckeroo was a GMB grandson as was Sid's Rebel and wasn't that Flaby's Supreme horse somewhat Shetland bred too? It was kind of an interesting thing to watch, given I had always secretly wanted to blend small Shetlands with Miniatures.

Wasn't long after people started to wake up to the influence of GMB that Michigan's Silver Penny got hardshipped into AMHR and people REALLY got interested in Sheltands crawling around the Minature gene pool. Now it's the "Cool" thing. LOL.

They do not have "different" genetics then Shetlands. I don't know if that means pedigrees or DNA, but either way, total crap. Miniatures are just short ponies. Some might actually be ASPC registered shetlands too.

My personal opinion is Miniatures were bred down from Shetland stock but no records were actually kept on the "midget ponies novelty"

Miniatures do have some pecularities all their own- bute toxicity can be a real problem, Quest is very dangerous, hyperlimia ("fatty liver" disease) is common and some other things. Our most serious and sadly least understood problem is dwarfism.

The "Just" lines were an old, old bloodlines from back in the day (going back 30 years now) The Just program produced a couple of winners back then (I think...I can't remember any names) and I can't think of any Just bloodlines that have been of any real concerntrated interest in the past 20 years (maybe I'm drawing a blank) Just one of those "names from the past" sort of things, like Stouts, Ayers, Ohio and Sligo.
      "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Comment

Okay, now I'm super confused because I was told (though I have zero research to back this up and really don't even care THAT much lol) that true minis are miniature HORSES and are genetically (and somewhat structurally) different from ponies. Hence the reason that even if they're the size of a small shetland (which would be bigger than "breed standard") they shouldn't be ridden because they're not designed to carry weight like the true ponies are.

But then....there's also the thing about shetlands having been intermixed and blah blah so you've got some of these minis running around that are bigger and really are technically "ponies".

Un-confuse me.
        A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info littleum! When I call Mocha a pony, it's a compliment. I love ponies!

Comment

I love ponies too. When I brought my Hackney pony home I frequented a certain bulletin board just to learn more about caring for the smaller equine.
            I always got a Hoot out of how so many mini breeders/owners took offense to their "horses" being called ponies by regular, everyday people.

The one thing I have always wondered about is that I have been told by an equine dental technician and also have read it here and there, that even though they have those tiny heads, they have a full set of teeth that are the same size as an average horse. I guess this can cause a myriad of dental problems for them. When I look at my 15.2 hh Saddlebred's teeth, I wonder how that can be. ??!!??

What do your mini's teeth look like? Just curious. Are some worse than others, or do they all have these full sized teeth?

Comment

• Original Poster

Mocha's teeth are definitely smaller than Murphy's teeth (he's 15.3+ hands) but I wouldn't call them tiny. Of course, Murphy's teeth are much smaller than my warmblood's teeth and she is "tiny" at only 16.0+ hands. I've got caps from both Murphy and the warmblood and there is a big difference in size.

Comment

What about Falabella blood?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falabella_(horse)

Teeth? I never asked! I just haul them to the Equine surgical clinic to get them done as my horthadontist does not do minis and small ponies.

Comment

Personally I would rather call Dumplin' a pony than a miniature horse. Why? Because the ponies are just beyond cute! Those show miniatures...have you seen some of those pics? They have these demonic looking eyes and deformed looking heads...shudder....

Give me my rumply dumply bumply Dumplin'. I call him my tiny pony man and he loves it so that is all I need
                  I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

Originally posted by equineartworks View Post
                    Personally I would rather call Dumplin' a pony than a miniature horse. Why? Because the ponies are just beyond cute! Those show miniatures...have you seen some of those pics? They have these demonic looking eyes and deformed looking heads...shudder....

Give me my rumply dumply bumply Dumplin'. I call him my tiny pony man and he loves it so that is all I need
                    DITTO!!

Comment

Aren't some of them freaky? lol!
                      I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

Miniature teeth are smaller then full sized horse teeth, but are still too proportinaly (sp?) big for their jaws. Lots of problems with hooks in the back, caps, crowding ect. Add into this that an offset bite is considered a disqualifying flaw, so breeders/owners go to great lengths to care for teeth! These two things really combine so that the general knowledge level of equine dentistry is quite high with the community.

Falabellas are a seperate breed entirely. Generally when you say "Miniature Horse" you are talking about the American Miniature Horse, which most folks believe were bred down from Shetlands as kind of a novelty midget pony concept (this is disputed though) Falabella origins are well documented and they keep an entirely seperate studbook.

Back in the very early 1990s there was a brief "fad" to cross Falabellas with Miniatures. At the time appaloosa coat patterns were hot hot hot (did I say HOT?) and rare within Miniatures, especially with size control (many Appy lines grew oversized) Falabellas came in small spotted sizes. Some were imported up from Argentina for big $$$$ and interbred with Miniatures. AMHA at the time would accept Falabella book papers and issue AMHA papers.

It wasn't a terribly long lived experiment and there is very little Falabella blood within our breed today, and no current importing activity. This is just my opinion, but most of the Falabellas I've seen are pretty damn dumpy and I think that's what killed off the experiment pretty quick- spots or not.

Not that there weren't a few nice Falabellas (Chianti in the 1980s was stunning, but he was 34" if he was an inch) and I have seen a couple of really nice Falabella-blood Miniatures. But by and large most Miniature programs don't use Falabella blood, I haven't heard of any new imports for at least 10 years and I think it's fair to say that the goals of the Falabella program are different from the goals of most Miniature breeders.

There are also 2 other strains of "Miniature" horse found in UK (Bred down from Shetlands) and Aussie/NZ (called "native") These are different strains, the vast majority are very "Thewell" in their look (more traditional pony) Many Aussie/NZ breeders have been importing American stock for the past 25 years or so, an increasing # of UK/European breeders have starting bringing over American stock.

I am not aware of any stock coming across the ponds to us here (there have been a few cases of horses being exported then brought back), but I've seen a couple of just really stunning "native breds" from down under that I wouldn't mind having.
                        "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Comment

One of my mini's is a 27" coming 3 yr old black leopard appy. His conformation is really pretty good - UNTIL you get to his rather odd head. His head has a bizarrely prominent forehead extreme dish and tiny muzzle. Dwarfism or bad head? or Both? His ability to contribute to the gene pool is going to end on February 19th when he heads to U of I for denutting He has never been bred and is not studdy at all. I was just hoping both testes would descend so the vet would not have to go up after it! Because he is so very small my vet and I decided he should go to U of I for his own protection from complications.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodland View Post
                            One of my mini's is a 27" coming 3 yr old black leopard appy. His conformation is really pretty good - UNTIL you get to his rather odd head. His head has a bizarrely prominent forehead extreme dish and tiny muzzle. Dwarfism or bad head? or Both? His ability to contribute to the gene pool is going to end on February 19th when he heads to U of I for denutting He has never been bred and is not studdy at all. I was just hoping both testes would descend so the vet would not have to go up after it! Because he is so very small my vet and I decided he should go to U of I for his own protection from complications.
                            Can you post a picture?

Comment

Originally posted by littleum View Post
                              Can you post a picture?
                              OK - I will try to link one up within 24 hrs. I have to figure out how - I am NOT very good at pictures/posting/scanning/working a digital camera - it's pretty sad! He is soooo cute!!!! Even with the homely head -

Comment

Originally posted by littleum View Post
                                I've seen a couple of just really stunning "native breds" from down under that I wouldn't mind having.
                                If somebody is trying to sell you a "native" horse from Australia or New Zealand, it had better have a pouch.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                                  Okay, now I'm super confused because I was told (though I have zero research to back this up and really don't even care THAT much lol) that true minis are miniature HORSES and are genetically (and somewhat structurally) different from ponies. Hence the reason that even if they're the size of a small shetland (which would be bigger than "breed standard") they shouldn't be ridden because they're not designed to carry weight like the true ponies are.

<snip>

Un-confuse me.
                                  BuddyRoo - that is the same thing I remember hearing ages ago when minis first became popular that they were most definitely not ponies.

So is there a genetic difference or is it size only that makes a mini?

Comment

According to a mini breeder I was acquainted with, the big selling point of miniatures was that they "had no 'pony' blood", that they were bred down from full-size horses. Which was nothing but pure marketing propaganda, and this breeder even said so (at least to people who weren't prospective customers). Since lack of size was the main breed characteristic, people were most definitely going to take shortcuts. And the shortest shortcut of all would be to breed from something already small to begin with.

PS why is Firefox being such a ass today? It won't let me go back in insert anything anywhere except when I edit.

Comment

Ok, someone way back when struck gold with the marketing of miniature HORSE. They are ALL pony bred somewhere. The rage now of course is a leggier horse (much nicer to drive than a short legged one), neckier, all round better conformation type horses. I have them, and Hackneys and they are both ponies in my book. The mini is my mini..the hackney is the pony but both are ponies. Here is a picture of my mini, which of course the first show he went to folks told me he was too big (OMG puleese, he's under the limit and he drives gorgeous, not a short bobbing step thank you). But really he is a pony IMHO

Kim
                                      Your village is calling. Apparently their idiot is missing!

Comment

Originally posted by willowoodstables View Post
                                        Here is a picture of my mini, which of course the first show he went to folks told me he was too big (OMG puleese, he's under the limit and he drives gorgeous, not a short bobbing step thank you). But really he is a pony IMHO

Kim
                                        Oh so handsome and what a pretty face. I wouldn't mind having him. If you get tired of him....

Comment

Working...
                                        X