• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Thinking about giving away my pony

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thinking about giving away my pony

    Oh my god. I just spent the last hour typing up a post about my pony and somehow it got deleted. I'm not retyping it. I haven't made any decisions but his is something I have been thinking about for a long time and I would love to hear from people who have been in a similar situation...please don't flame me. I'd like to hear your experiences, good and bad.

    Long story short.. I'm considering rehoming my pony who has basically become a very expensive very large dog. My BF and I are struggingly financially and the debt is piling up. We will need money to pay for our wedding. and want to eventually buy a house. We obviously can't do either of those things when we owe thousands of dollars to everyone and their brother. My parents will be seriously in debt for the rest of their lives. I don't want to be like that at 23 years old (well, ever... but what I'm saying is we need to get a hold on this before it gets too much to handle) Both my horses are already on self care at a cheap barn. The pony is barefoot, and on no grain or supplements. She doesn't cost me THAT much, which is why I always change my mind about this.. but it's getting harder and harder to get by and I worry because we aren't able to put anything away in savings. That extra couple hundred dollars a month would REALLY help us out.

    She is a GOOD pony. She really is. But she does have some issues, needs a LOT of training, and will probably never be a kids pony. I am afraid of where she will end up if she is given to the wrong home. I don't want her passed around, or beaten, or ending up back at the stockyards where she came from. If I give her away I have no way of controlling that and it terrifies me. She means a lot to me and I can't believe I'm posting this but the more I think about it I think it's something I need to seriously consider. I wish I could just put her in a box for a few years and then get her back out once we are able to get caught up. As we all know it doesn't work like that... I work weird hours so getting a second job isn't an option at the moment. I've tried to find a pasture board situation where I could work off board for her but haven't had any luck..plus I'm not entirely sure how I'd figure it out schedule wise.

    Have any of you ever rehomed a horse that was particularly special to you, especially one with health or behavior issues? How did you come to the decision? Do you regret it now? How did you find them the right home?

    Thank you.

  • #2
    Where are you an pony located? How big is pony? My parents have an open stall and have been contemplating taking in a pony on really cheap board, enough to cover feed costs for my two (and they don't eat much!!). Please PM me, hopefully maybe I can help.
    Fourth N' Goal Training LLC.
    ~Specializing in Mom and Kid Approved Equitation and Jumper Horses

    *Horse Collector Status = Six Pack*

    Comment


    • #3
      I haven't had to make this choice, but I want to say that you are making a very responsible (albeit difficult) decision. Good luck to you.

      I think someone else will be able to give more specific advice about how to ensure a good home for your pony.

      Comment

      • Original Poster

        #4
        Originally posted by City Ponies View Post
        Where are you an pony located? How big is pony? My parents have an open stall and have been contemplating taking in a pony on really cheap board, enough to cover feed costs for my two (and they don't eat much!!). Please PM me, hopefully maybe I can help.
        We are located in Ohio, near Cincinnati. The mare is a 13.3 draft pony.

        Comment


        • #5
          I can't give you advice on rehoming the pony, but I can certainly understand that you are young and may not be able to afford her at this point in your life. I wish you the best of luck on finding a suitable home for her. I would definitely at least start the process now if that is what you're thinking you want to do. Get the word out, and see what's out there.
          However, fixing this issue with the pony is not going to solve your problem in its entirety. If I were young and wanted to put money in savings (which is definitely important), I would be thinking along the lines of a VERY modest wedding. A big affair might not be the right thing for you right now. And while I know some people in their early 20s who have bought a house, I would say that you have to be patient. It may be a long-term goal.

          Comment


          • #6
            She'd definately fit right in with the herd, but I'm not sure how you would get her to middle of VA. If I can think of something else I will let you know.

            Would she be quiet enough for pony rides? If so, what about donating her to theraputic riding situation.
            Fourth N' Goal Training LLC.
            ~Specializing in Mom and Kid Approved Equitation and Jumper Horses

            *Horse Collector Status = Six Pack*

            Comment


            • #7
              Agree w/ Casey re: the wedding. If having a wedding is very important to you and your SO, then maybe you need to budget for it (and start reading things like "Bridal Bargains" and "Fire Your Wedding Planner" now). But if it's not important to you, then don't let "cultural norms" talk you into having a wedding that didn't really fit your wants and needs. My DH and I chose to pay off his car with the "wedding money" and get married at the courthouse, and we've never regretted it. We invited a few close friends, dressed in outfits that were meaningful to us but not very expensive, and went out to a nice fancy dinner afterward. I wouldn't have my horse today if we hadn't made that choice--there wouldn't have been enough money!

              Anyway, before you do anything rash, take a VERY SERIOUS look at the rest of your budget. When I was 23, I thought I'd whittled down my budget as much as I could; I would have sworn up and down to you that there was no where else to trim. Now at 26, we've trimmed off hundreds more per month. It can be done if you really get determined.
              Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                First off, I wanted to offer you some huge hugs. Even thinking about it is hard. I am exactly your age, though I have been married for a while and have a 15mo old daughter with my son due in about 8 weeks (yes, I am certifiably insane!). We have a decent house (purchased), and a young horse, but we also had a wedding that cost under $300 (yes, that is $300 dollars for a whole thing dress, food; we had a potluck and all) and had been saving for a LONG time (I'd been keeping a big savings since highschool). Its HARD. We don't have much disposable income, and I teach on the side to bring in some extra cash. What I guess I'm saying is its all doable, there is nothing wrong with trying to find a great home for your pony, maybe check with your local pony clubs? I'd really work on finding where the extra cash goes (and if its a big wedding...I'd scale way WAY down, but thats just me) and start seeing where it can be rerouted. It can work quite well! Good luck!

                Comment


                • #9
                  First off- I think you're doing the right thing. Its better to realize you can't afford a horse before you REALLY can't afford a horse.

                  Second- She's never going to find a good home if you don't get some training into her. Even if you just work with her for a month she'll be better off than nothing at all.

                  Third- Could you offer her as a free lease? Someone else can take on a portion of her financial issues (as well as enjoy the pony) but you won't loose ownership.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Another idea for you - find a leasor for the pony. If they click, you can give the pony to the leasor at some time in the future. In the short term, it helps with the bills.

                    This is a great way to place a horse.

                    Comment

                    • Original Poster

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Casey09 View Post
                      I can't give you advice on rehoming the pony, but I can certainly understand that you are young and may not be able to afford her at this point in your life. I wish you the best of luck on finding a suitable home for her. I would definitely at least start the process now if that is what you're thinking you want to do. Get the word out, and see what's out there.
                      However, fixing this issue with the pony is not going to solve your problem in its entirety. If I were young and wanted to put money in savings (which is definitely important), I would be thinking along the lines of a VERY modest wedding. A big affair might not be the right thing for you right now. And while I know some people in their early 20s who have bought a house, I would say that you have to be patient. It may be a long-term goal.
                      The wedding and house ARE long term goals. I can afford the pony but it is very difficult and we are not able to put anything into savings or pay off our debts, which are steps we must take in order to eventually reach those goals

                      Thank you for the advice!

                      Comment

                      • Original Poster

                        #12
                        Originally posted by City Ponies View Post
                        She'd definately fit right in with the herd, but I'm not sure how you would get her to middle of VA. If I can think of something else I will let you know.

                        Would she be quiet enough for pony rides? If so, what about donating her to theraputic riding situation.
                        I have ponied my little sister off of her so I think she would good for it. I hadn't thought about that. She'd need a lot of training in order to do anything more than give pony rides with children though so I don't know if she'd be accepted anywhere. That is something to look into though, thank you.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you look hard enough, you'll find a place for her. I've recently placed a handful of horses for a few friends. It took me a few months, but all of them (included the huuuuuuge, clumsy, stupid, green mutt horse) went to good homes with actual horse people. Try forums, try friends, try asking around at a few barns. Someone, somewhere, will want your pony whether she's trained or not!

                          Comment

                          • Original Poster

                            #14
                            Originally posted by 2LaZ2race View Post
                            First off- I think you're doing the right thing. Its better to realize you can't afford a horse before you REALLY can't afford a horse.

                            Second- She's never going to find a good home if you don't get some training into her. Even if you just work with her for a month she'll be better off than nothing at all.

                            Third- Could you offer her as a free lease? Someone else can take on a portion of her financial issues (as well as enjoy the pony) but you won't loose ownership.
                            She still needs a LOT of training. It's a very long story but she barely lead when I ended up with her. She now has pretty good ground manners, clips, ties, and has been started under saddle but is still extremely green. I don't have the experience/skills to really continue the U/S training but I really do need to get her out more and at least work with her more.

                            BECAUSE she's so green I don't know who would want to lease her.

                            Comment

                            • Original Poster

                              #15
                              Originally posted by TankMonte View Post
                              If you look hard enough, you'll find a place for her. I've recently placed a handful of horses for a few friends. It took me a few months, but all of them (included the huuuuuuge, clumsy, stupid, green mutt horse) went to good homes with actual horse people. Try forums, try friends, try asking around at a few barns. Someone, somewhere, will want your pony whether she's trained or not!
                              How do you know if it's a good home though? This is what scares me the most.
                              I had my first horse leased out to a woman I thought was an AMAZING home. She ended up neglecting him very badly and he had to be put down. The other horse that I sold is now back on the market listed as much younger than he is and sound when he is definitely not.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                It's very hard to give up a pet that you love, but sometimes you just have to.

                                I wrote this article after helping someone find a home for her pony:

                                When you have to give up your horse

                                I found that I had the most success networking rather than advertising. I wanted the pony to go to a home where she would not be "moved on" in a year or so, but would have a home for life. The woman who took her checked out six ways to Sunday.

                                In the past when I've had a horse that was essentially a giveaway I always asked for slightly more than meat prices. I didn't want the horse going to auction.

                                Good luck!
                                Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  [QUOTE][Long story short.. I'm considering rehoming my pony who has basically become a very expensive very large dog. My BF and I are struggingly financially and the debt is piling up. We will need money to pay for our wedding. and want to eventually buy a house. /QUOTE]

                                  Weddings aren't all that expensive. You wait till after Sunday morning service - when you're already dressed up - and get married. The priest is already there and not doing anything much.

                                  Where are you living now? Can one of you move in with the other one after the wedding?

                                  As for pony - I don't think your chances of selling a green pony are all that great right now. If you don't want to keep her, then you need to budget for training.
                                  I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

                                  Comment

                                  • Original Poster

                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by jn4jenny View Post
                                    Agree w/ Casey re: the wedding. If having a wedding is very important to you and your SO, then maybe you need to budget for it (and start reading things like "Bridal Bargains" and "Fire Your Wedding Planner" now). But if it's not important to you, then don't let "cultural norms" talk you into having a wedding that didn't really fit your wants and needs. My DH and I chose to pay off his car with the "wedding money" and get married at the courthouse, and we've never regretted it. We invited a few close friends, dressed in outfits that were meaningful to us but not very expensive, and went out to a nice fancy dinner afterward. I wouldn't have my horse today if we hadn't made that choice--there wouldn't have been enough money!

                                    Anyway, before you do anything rash, take a VERY SERIOUS look at the rest of your budget. When I was 23, I thought I'd whittled down my budget as much as I could; I would have sworn up and down to you that there was no where else to trim. Now at 26, we've trimmed off hundreds more per month. It can be done if you really get determined.
                                    We do want a wedding, but it will be very very small. I know that we need to be saving for this and we're just not able to right now. I am working on shaving off the budget as much as possible. The only extra thing we have other than the horses right now is internet, which I know we need to get rid of as well. Any suggestions on books/websites I could read, or anything on money management and budgeting?

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      We're pretty lucky that the people that took these horses in are fairly local, love to talk and all of their references checked out. I keep in touch with everyone that takes in a horse that I've dealt with. Many times, they're friends, or friends of friends. Maybe it's taking a chance on people or that I've just gotten lucky so far? Not sure.

                                      Comment

                                      • Original Poster

                                        #20
                                        Originally posted by Bogie View Post
                                        It's very hard to give up a pet that you love, but sometimes you just have to.

                                        I wrote this article after helping someone find a home for her pony:

                                        When you have to give up your horse

                                        I found that I had the most success networking rather than advertising. I wanted the pony to go to a home where she would not be "moved on" in a year or so, but would have a home for life. The woman who took her checked out six ways to Sunday.

                                        In the past when I've had a horse that was essentially a giveaway I always asked for slightly more than meat prices. I didn't want the horse going to auction.
                                        Good luck!
                                        lol you guys, the wedding was just an example of things we should be saving for... it's not going to be something we do right away. I'm not trying to sell the pony in order to pay for the wedding I'm just saying that the money that we put into the mare could be going to pay off our bills so that we can start saving for the wedding, the house, emergencies, etc...

                                        Thank you so much for the link, definately very helpful!


                                        For those of you that HAVE done this... do you regret it? I'm not in a position where I absolutely can't afford to feed her or anything that extreme. But at the same time I feel like I'm stretching myself too thin and I'm getting very worried about how it will effect our future.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X