• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who all has horses that have a "forever" home with you?...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have had Monday for 10 years, since he was 3, and I will have him till the end of his days. He has been such a wonderful horse and has already done so much for me that even if I could never ride him again he has more than earned his keep. I just love him!

Comment

• Spy is 23, with hip arthritis. I have had him since he was an unbroken 10 year old, though I leased him out for 8 years. He was SUPPOSED to be a sales project but it didn't happen. He has a forever home.

Music is 19 and still going strong. I have had her since she was a long yearling, and she has a forever home.

Belle is 9, and she probably has a forever home. But if the right person offered the right amonut of money, I MIGHT consider...

Chief is a weanling (7 months) and a sales project, so he isn't supposed to be a forever horse.
      Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

• I retired Logan at 17 years old. I bought him at 9, he was in training for a hunter around 3 - he worked hard for me for all those years - thought he would like living the easy life.

So far he has enjoyed it fairly well...living out 24/7 and he'll be 21 in May! He gets trail ridden on rare occasion. Otherwise he's just a pasture ornament that is arthritic in his hocks but healthy every other way. Sure I'd like to save the expense but he's my first horse and he's family...no matter what I will have him until his last day!!

Trevor is 7 and although I hope to have him forever as well, Logan was first and will always come first...should something happen and I need finances for Logan...Trevor may find himself in a free lease situation. I don't intend to sell him ever but he's young enough that I just don't know what will happen...I'll do my best and the plans are there so hopefully everything will work out that he is with me for the next 20+ years!!

I'm a pack rat...I get rid of nothing!
        Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
        http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
        *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

Comment

• Well, The Old Man for sure has his forever home with me. Because, well, he's Old. He was a "gift with purchase" of our little farmette. He's lame, the other guys push him around, his feet look like they were put on crooked, his lips are saggy and his tongue sticks out. But he's cute and I loff him.

I sincerely hope that Miles and Paddy will be with me forever. As I tell them (and myself) - as long as I am able to keep horses, they will be with me. If something terrible happens and I can't keep them (knock wood that that doesn't happen), I would likely give them away or sell them very very selectively. They deserve only the best!
          My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Comment

• I just got back to this thread and had to respond to Susan P. No, having a place to always keep my horses did not mean I ran out and spent a couple of hundred thousand dollars. It meant that 20 years ago, I found a tiny two acre fenced piece of property with an unfinished house and a barn with two 8x10 stalls whose owner was facing foreclosure. I was just able to afford it on a state worker's salary. Later I bought the two acres behind me when the old man who had lived there for years died. Luckily I bought land where no one was buying 20 years ago so it was cheap. That's probably the way most single horseowners have to do it and now that I am disabled and had to retire early, it is all I can ever afford but my boys have a forever home, no matter what, just not some lavish farm that cost a couple hundred thousand. And they could care less about the cost.

Comment

• I have 2. Noel, a 17yr old ISH who was given to me 5 years ago. I used him for lessons and trails until he was diagnosed with arthritis in the fetlock joint. Add that to his funky hocks and it was time for retirement. He came home last month and now has 24/7 turnout, food and shelter. His partner in this equine paradise is Twist, a 12yr old Arabian mare. I got her as a possible school horse, but she doesn't like little kids. So she became my trail horse. When my 3rd level TB was diagnosed with EPM, she became his constant companion until his death last month. Her patience and kindness to him earned her a forever home in my barn and in my heart.

Comment

• Gosh I don't even own the one that I am considering a "forever" horse. She belongs to someone else and I am free leasing her. I just can't even tell you how much I adore her though. She amuses me whether I can ride her or not. She is one of the few horses that I can just hang out with and enjoy her company. And I will do with her whatever she indicates that she enjoys the most. She will chose her own career I'm thinking she might be one heck of a hunter but...we shall see when she gets more exposure I hope she doesn't want to be a dressage horse....her trot is hell to sit

Comment

• Yep - Denali!

He will be 24 in March, has bad hocks, bad suspensories in both hind legs, is a hard keeper and has horrible feet. He has racked up more then his share of vet bills in the 7 years I have owned him. He is an angel, and after years of abuse before I rescued him, he absolutely deserves every ounce of spoiling he gets. I have had 2 really close calls with him, thought for sure I was going to lose him... I know when he is tired he will let me know, but losing that horse is going to break my heart. Until then I continue to enjoy his friendship and adorable face As my BB name implies, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that horse!!

Comment

• Original Poster

I just wanted to bump this thread up, because I caught myself wondering this very same question, that I asked back in 2004.

Also, for those who posted here - did anyone's plans change? Mine did. I ended up having to adopt my Happy out, however I am in touch with her owner, and I hope to be in a position to give her a home, when she retires.

My mini -that I got around the time that I started this thread - will be with me forever. My 4 year old Diva, will be with me forever, and most likely my 4 year old pasture puff Ember will be here forever as well.

Anyone else?
                    The Equine Wellness and Nutrition FB Group - Come join us!!
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/equinewellness/

Comment

• We have a 25 year old QH mare, a 10 year old pony gelding, and a 27 year old donkey that are "lifers"...they will never go anywhere. The old girls have earned their retirement and are the best babysitters, and the gelding is such a cranky little turd that I fear no one else would take care of him!
                      http://turtlemountainfarm.com/

Comment

• *sigh* Raises hand.

At least, so long as I have a farm, they have a farm. (And since it's been in the family for a hundred years, I hope I'm not the one to lose it!)

30 year old who taught me to ride as a nervous adult beginner? Yeah. He ain't goin' nowhere.

Neither is my eponymous naughty paint pony, who went lame three years ago and can never be ridden again. He was my first horse. Not his fault I didn't know what I was doing when I bought him. As a recently gelded green-as-grass 3 yr old. With a bad knee. Who bit people. He's taught me a lot - mostly in the "don't do this again" category, but still. Sadly, one of the more recent things I'm learning is that one bad joint begets others as time goes on, so I don't know how much longer I'll have him. But when he goes, it won't be to another owner.

And Conjure? My one sound sane horse? I love him and I'll always do what I think is best for him. As long as that's staying with me, that's where he'll be.

But I have a farm. So I don't have to pay to board horses I can't ride. If I did? I think that would be a really hard decision to make.
                        I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

• My horse will be with me forever (unless there is some freak emergency where I can't properly care for him). I love him to pieces and he also has a lot of things working against him in terms of selling - he has arthritis and needs injections, he can be a difficult ride, he's 13 and by the time I will be ready to buy a new horse financially he will probably be at least 18. He is the type of horse who can be a push button dream horse one day and the next day he's a spooky bucker, which is why his last owner sold him. He very talented and incredible to learn upper level movements on but he doesn't have the gaits to be truly competitive at that level and I suspect that most people who would want to learn from him would also want to trade up to a fancier horse eventually. In other words, he's the kind of horse who gives people a lot of reasons to unload him.

I wouldn't trust anyone else to give him the kind of life he deserves. He's too smart, he's quirky, he has a wild imagination, he can be a grump, and he's a real character. But I think he's the best.

Comment

• I have two. First is my daughter's first horse, a QH. He's broken and a bit high maintenance. The second is the very senior, almost ancient boarder who needs some extra attention too. He's here forever as well.

Comment

• 2 of my 3 have forever homes with me, and the third is working hard to earn a spot.

Horse one is my heart horse, he's 14 now, I got him when I was barely a teen and put a ton of training into him. He can do anything, we've hacked out on crazy trails, shown hunters locally, gone novice eventing, and done some western gaming. He has some navicular issues we're currently trying to get under control so he is riding sound again. But even if he's not he'll always have a stall in my barn.

Horse two was a freebie companion horse. I got him 3 years ago. I've only put a handful of rides into him because I got him when he was 18 and he has a host of physical and behavioral issues, but he's a good solid TB and I have no doubt I could jump on him and hack him out if I wanted to. He's taught me a lot about horsemanship because he has never been an easy horse. It took me months of work for people to stop calling him crazy and dangerous but it was completely worth it. I never thought my freebie companion horse would end up a horse I couldn't bear to part with but there ya go. Plus he is a graded stakes winner with over half a million in earnings, later used hard at a lesson barn...so I think he's earned a nice retirement.

The third I've only had for 4 months but he's starting to grow on me.

I've never sold a horse. The only one I bought was my first horse and technically he was a gift. I'm young, but I have a feeling I'm never going to be one of those people who can just sell a horse...and that is going to be very bad for business.
                              Last edited by SAcres; Oct. 12, 2013, 03:16 PM.
                              come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Comment

• I've never sold a horse. I never will. I don't have a problem with those who do. In fact, sometimes I think that they're the smart ones. It's just something that I can't do. Right now, I have a 28 year old that I got a couple of years ago, to keep her from the chance that she would not land softly. She's been one of the lucky ones who has never know a bad owner. I intend to keep it that way until she goes to the Bridge. She will be my last horse. But then, I've said that before.
                                If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
                                Desmond Tutu

Comment

• DD's pony, a 14.1 Appendix, is with us to the end. She has been amazing with DD, and I have a 4yo and a 4month old she needs to teach the ropes to. I had my first pony for 25 years, until he drew his last breath. Mistletoe is 18, so we are definitely her last family.
                                  Originally posted by The Saddle
                                  Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Comment

• I sent one of mine out on lease for a while and I would have sold him for the right offer. Bluey, I would have never, ever sold, but I was planning to loan him to a very good friend for her daughter...she needed an upgrade for dressage from her pony. This is the same friend who has left her special horse to us in her will and we have left ours to her.

Comment

• Dain's Irish Tuppence, DD's Connemara Pony, is here for life. They started eventing together when he was 5 and she was 6. They competed at training level for 4 years and were partners for 7 years. He was then leased to others and He has done well over 100 horse trials.

El Primero, DD's first OTTB, is also here for life. She started riding him when he was 3 and she was 13. They competed 5 CCI****s. He is too difficult to be around to trust him with a lease situation, so he is stuck with us. If we all die in a fiery freeway crash, his long time veterinarian has agreed to take him in!

Here's Awesome, survivor extraordinaire, is likely here for life. He is 16 and did a few A horse trials.

Piccolo, is here for life, as is Timar, who DH competed to CCI* then sold. He came back to us at age 16 or 17.

These 3 still sing for their supper as lesson horses for students.

Formal Affair, Who went A with DH, is hanging out here forever also. He runs the gelding pasture and makes sure that everyone goes for a drink when he wants them to.

Sounds like we run a retirement farm????

Comment

• My family and I currently have 4 that will be with us til the end. We have sold a handful of horses before, but when we buy, we look for forever horses.

At the moment we have a 33 year old Morgan who was given to us by a prior boarder. He is the best companion horse anyone could ask for, and is still fat even at his old age.

17 year old TB that I've had since I was 13 and who taught me the ropes of jumping. We still take lessons and compete occasionally, and he has a permanent stall in our barn.

9 year old Zangersheide show jumper. He can be a handful but is the most fun, snuggly, and kissable horse I have ever met.

Finally, my sister has an 11 year old Fresian/Arab Paint that she rides dressage. She is our only mare, and sure lives up to the role of being feisty and opinionated, but also has a stall in our barn forever.

Can't even imagine ever selling one of these horses.

Comment

• Mine are here forever. I've never sold a horse but have buried several. I have 4 teenaged horses, a 21 year old, a 33 year old and an 8 year old. I figure I'll be feeding the 8 year old into my 60's since I'm 47 now.

Comment

Working...
                                          X