• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do Pilates Really Work? Yes, HR!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Pilates Really Work? Yes, HR!!

This is HR, I promise!

For you riders out there, do any of you do pilates and do you feel they improve your core and help get you in shape?

I have a gym membership but currently don't have much time to use it because teachers have decided to bombard us with homework! So going tobed at 4am only to get up at 6:30am to go to the gym before school does not sound very appealing.

I am VERY out of shape right now and hate it. I'm having problems with the tendon in my ankle/foot so I can't go running, and I'm in a boot right now so although I've been doing exercises to build muscle up in that leg it's still weaker than the other one and that plus the fact that I've let myself get into really poor shape does not help my riding!

My main area of focus is my abs, which is why I thought Pilates might be helpful. Most workouts seem to be 20-30 minutes which would be very doable in the mornings before school. I just want to know if you find them helpful or not. I am not very flexable and really can't see myself doing pilates but if it works then I'll try anything
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

You should ask our very own robby johnson. He is a pilates guru.
    Last edited by eyesontheground; Jan. 17, 2009, 01:26 AM. Reason: Robby's handle has a space in it!
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Comment

I definitely think it helps with riding. While I was taking a few months off, I took a pilates mat class that used the roller and ring.

It accomplishes a few other things aside from core strength. Some of the exercises also have the added benefit of freeing up your hips, which is also helpful for riding (and walking...)

I think exercises on the roller are particularly relevant, because it helps with the balancing/self-correction that we do as riders in response to the horse's movement. I also found, at least for me, that pilates reached some of the deeper, harder-to-exercise muscles that riders use, but I otherwise wasn't able to maintain through other methods of exercise.

You don't really need to be flexible to do pilates. It can help with your flexibility, but you shouldn't let that stop you from starting.

Comment

I have a pilates floor exercise DVD. It definately helps your riding. The whole workout takes 20 minutes max. THere is also a 15 minute quickie work out on the DVD.

Comment

I did pilates 20 years ago with a dance instructor and loved it- it helped a lot with my muscle strength, control & balance. These days I'm doing yoga and was surprised to find 90% of the poses are identical.

Two years of 20 minute daily yoga DEFINITELY has improved my balance and control. It's also helped with my flexibility of areas which never get worked otherwise.

Comment

I bought DVDs for pilates, balance ball, resistance training for balance ball, and yoga. I found I didn't even have the muscle tone in my abs to get through the basic pilates (tho my core is fine in the saddle--go figure), the balance ball makes a GREAT foot stool, but the yoga is exactly what I need to rebuild my muscles & balance right now. Except that my sofa did major damage to my lower back during treatment & have to wait until my sciatic is released before getting back into the yoga

If you want to borrow my pilates DVD to try before buying one of your own, let me know.

BTW, you may have some company this summer, finances permitting. Somehow I got myself talked into training for eventing
            I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
            Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Comment

I am also a big believer in doing a pilates based workout. I have also found that yoga helps improve posture and flexibility. Pilates works the whole core so for those of us who have weak abdominals ,we inturn have weak backs. The exercises whether done on the mat, reformer or foam roller strengthen the core while increasing flexibilty. Especially, after I have done a foam roller workout, horses seem much more relaxed and supple. Which tells me that I must be as well.

I would say go for it! Whether you have limitations or not! You will benefit from this form of exercise greatly! Have fun!

Comment

ABSOLUTELY. You can't activate your horse's core if you can't activate your own!!

Get Janice Dulak's book. Fabulous.
                www.specialhorses.org
                a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

My local YMCA has a PiYo class - pilates and yoga. I'm still pretty out of shape from a long illness (riding is still out of the question for me. ). But I'm thinking maybe that the PiYo class might help?
                  The Horsey Set Net

Comment

Yes!

But start slow. I got the book, Pilates for Dummies and I had to start with the pre-Pilates exercises. And I wasn't particularly out of shape - just have really weak abs.

Pilates has helped my riding because it helps build some of the muscles you use for riding and it helps with balance and body-awareness. Plus making breeches a little more flattering - although Lord knows I have a ways to go yet.

And it helps a great deal if you suffer from chronic lower back pain - which I used to do, but not any more.
                    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

As a beginner instructor, I have found that my students who come to me that have done either Yoga or Pilates pick up riding MUCH easier than those who don't.

After I have my baby, I'm looking into doing some pilates classes or DVD so I can get back into shape much faster. Not to mention, get rid of some baby fat!

Go for it!
                      Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by HighFlyinBey+ View Post
                        BTW, you may have some company this summer, finances permitting. Somehow I got myself talked into training for eventing
                        Haha- as they say on here... "welome to the dark side" . Eventing is a blast (esp. cross country!)- and there is a farm in MD that has elementary level that is perfect to start at. Just plain XC schooling is always fun too... too bad my beast is a PITA to load. I don't think there will be any more events for me before I go to college Still having ankle problems and might have to have another surgery (I find out in February)... so riding is limited at the moment. My thinking is "if it's going to hurt regardless, I might as well ride"- but with mass amounts homework and the COLD weather etc... I'm lucky to get out to ride once a week.
                        "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Comment

I hope your ankle turns out not to need surgery & you can do at least one event this year. You've come such a long way with Milo

I envy your once a week visits. Last time I was out was between Christmas and New Year's.

I've never jumped Bailey (tell me how it was!) so it'll be a LONG time before I'm ready to do any competitions--and my truck is dead so I can't even tow my trailer. I know so little about eventing that I'm quite happy to stay in the ring and learn (beside, galloping scares the HECK out of me!)
                          I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
                          Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
                            Yes!

But start slow. I got the book, Pilates for Dummies and I had to start with the pre-Pilates exercises. And I wasn't particularly out of shape - just have really weak abs.
                            Sounds like that's where I need to start. Thanks, pAin't.
                            The Horsey Set Net

Comment

Lucky me, the Dr just did an MRI this week, looked at it, called me to get a cortisone shot in my knee and told me to see what we got in six months, before thinking surgery.

I too have been just doing whatever yoga I can do without using that knee and keep doing what you can sure helps keep you in some kind of shape, be it yoga or pilates.

Now, that won't help with weight itself as much as adding aerobics and weight and controlling what you eat.

To be in excellent shape for riding is a whole body management.
                              When injured, we can do parts only and keep some good level of function.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                Lucky me, the Dr just did an MRI this week, looked at it, called me to get a cortisone shot in my knee and told me to see what we got in six months, before thinking surgery.
                                Dang. How frustrating that must be. I hope in six months the Dr. sees wonderful improvement.
                                I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

Originally posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
                                  Dang. How frustrating that must be. I hope in six months the Dr. sees wonderful improvement.
                                  My Dr came in and said: "Well, I see you came in after all" and laughed.
                                  I felt like a horse getting it's hocks injected, except they didn't give me anything to keep me calm, just told me to sit and stay still.
                                  I would have liked to kick, but that would not have been polite.

The shot sure helped, so we will see how much repair we can get on it's own.
                                  I now see how so many horses can keep on going well after their shots.

Exercise sure helps as a rider to keep going and have less injuries, really.
                                  We are so used to riding, take it for granted, just as walking around.
                                  We don't remember that at times riding takes a little more fitness than just moving around on the ground.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by HighFlyinBey+ View Post
                                    I hope your ankle turns out not to need surgery & you can do at least one event this year. You've come such a long way with Milo

I envy your once a week visits. Last time I was out was between Christmas and New Year's.

I've never jumped Bailey (tell me how it was!) so it'll be a LONG time before I'm ready to do any competitions--and my truck is dead so I can't even tow my trailer. I know so little about eventing that I'm quite happy to stay in the ring and learn (beside, galloping scares the HECK out of me!)

Haha I think Laura set up a little x-rail when I rode Bailey two summers ago... and if I remember correctly he was fine... but that was a while ago! I was really nervous to really let Milo go because I used to lease a pony who was a bolter when spooked (and she lost all breaks at that point so all you could do was stay on or jump off!) so all of my previous experiences on a galloping horses were not good ones But you don't really want to gallop the course anyway, esp. at elementary and BN- you could easily trot most of the course

Thanks for the info on the Pilates everyone. I'm not so much worried about losing a bunch of weight (a few lbs would be nice but I wouldn't say I need to lose more than 5-10 lbs), and I already eat pretty well... but not riding much has left me in horrible shape. I'm doing leg exercises on my total gym to help keep me from losing more muscle in my leg than I already have- because when I last rode, it was awful, I couldn't keep my left leg still and it was all over the place! eek!

Comment

Pilates exercises are fantastic.

The key, however, to rider fitness is the program that you use to combine these exercises most effectively. I will admit, my book does just that

The program was developed after watching hours and hours of tapes and live riders in all discipines - primarily Ann Kursinski - it was her personal trainer, Johnny McCully, who developed it. Go to a big bookstore or a library, find one of those deep chairs and read it - you don't have buy it. There is a LOT to be learned!

Use your Pilaties, but learn what you are doing, and understand why you are doing what you are doing when you do it! (That's after you understand what I just wrote!)

Cheers and enjoy!
                                      co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Comment

Yes! I started attending a Pi/Yo/Tai Chi class at my gym recently...I think I'm pretty fit/strong....well it kicked my ass! I had no idea how stiff I was. The ab workout was hard too. I can do 100-150 reps of heavy weight on the ab crunch machine and barely feel it but 5 mins into the ab routine and I was dying! Guess it works muscles that I don't use while riding or using the machine. I was really sceptical but I thought I'd try it out. Now I'm a convert. Still can't get into the meditation stuff though. The other thing I found interesting is that I don't even have to think about my breathing when I do weights, guess I have done it long enough that it is automatic but with the Pi/Yo/Tai Chi I really had to think about it and it was hard. It's pretty cool. Can't see how it can be anything but great for you and help in the saddle too.
                                        "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Comment

Working...
                                        X