• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

A dog attacked my horses- Update

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A dog attacked my horses- Update

Yesterday, after I rode, I led Picasso up to the edge of my ring to pick up some trash. Right acroos the street is a neighbor's house. Their dog, a Bull Mastiff cross, was inside barking at us. The next thing I knew, the dog came through the window screen and charged at Picasso. He started circling and barking and then he went for Picasso's back legs. The dog's owner was there and we finally got him to leave Picasso alone.

The dog took of towards the back of my property where the other horses are. By the time I got back there, the dog was going after my two WB babies. They had only met one other dog before, who was a real sweetie, so they had no idea what to make of this barking, foaming, thing that was trying to hamstring them. They got totally freaked out and kept trying to get away. The dog's owner and I climbed the fence to try to catch the dog, who completely ignored us.

Finally, after almost 45 minutes of this, the owner finally caught the dog. My poor horses were traumatized and sweaty, but, luckily, they were unhurt. A number of times, I saw dog jaw around a horse leg, but i did not find any punctures.

I want to call animal control, but my husband is wary because these people are good friends of ours. The owner did say she was going to put the dog down today and she was extremely upset that the dog did that. Should I wait to see if she does before I call. or say to heck with neighbor/friend relations, these are my horses on my property being attacked?

*formerly cfc*

[This message was edited by Catalina on Mar. 26, 2003 at 08:53 AM.]
  • Original Poster

Yesterday, after I rode, I led Picasso up to the edge of my ring to pick up some trash. Right acroos the street is a neighbor's house. Their dog, a Bull Mastiff cross, was inside barking at us. The next thing I knew, the dog came through the window screen and charged at Picasso. He started circling and barking and then he went for Picasso's back legs. The dog's owner was there and we finally got him to leave Picasso alone.

The dog took of towards the back of my property where the other horses are. By the time I got back there, the dog was going after my two WB babies. They had only met one other dog before, who was a real sweetie, so they had no idea what to make of this barking, foaming, thing that was trying to hamstring them. They got totally freaked out and kept trying to get away. The dog's owner and I climbed the fence to try to catch the dog, who completely ignored us.

Finally, after almost 45 minutes of this, the owner finally caught the dog. My poor horses were traumatized and sweaty, but, luckily, they were unhurt. A number of times, I saw dog jaw around a horse leg, but i did not find any punctures.

I want to call animal control, but my husband is wary because these people are good friends of ours. The owner did say she was going to put the dog down today and she was extremely upset that the dog did that. Should I wait to see if she does before I call. or say to heck with neighbor/friend relations, these are my horses on my property being attacked?

*formerly cfc*

[This message was edited by Catalina on Mar. 26, 2003 at 08:53 AM.]

Comment

If she does put him down, I'd say that was enough and leave it go at that. If not, well then you'd better contact the authorities, next time it could be a child!

You are nicer that I am, friend or not I'd have shot that dog (seriously).

Tracy

Comment

I would make sure she puts the dog down. That is a HUGE liability, and had your horses been injured she could have a TON of vet bills and damages to pay. If she is a good friend, I don't think she would mind if you asked about the status of the dog. If she still hasn't done anything, tell her that you are going to call animal control because the dog should first be quarantined for rabies. Also, if your horses have not yet had their rabies shots, you may want your vet to come out and administer them ASAP. Better to be safe than sorry!

If that dog had have come after my horse like that, it would be dead. She did NOT tolerate dogs AT ALL. Friendly or not, she would try to EAT them! And she had good aim too, she would have knocked him in the head the first time he came after her hind legs...

Ok, I have no more room in my womb but they keep on growing and fighting and tearing up my insides!!!!! And I have three months to go!!!
        Is minic a rinne bromach gioblach capall cumasach
        An awkward colt often becomes a beautiful horse .

Comment

If they are good friends and good neighbors and are terribly upset with what happened, I'm with your husband. Give them the chance to take care of the problem without calling animal control on them. AC is not needed if they take care of it themselves.

Comment

Agree. Allow them the small amount of time needed to make this arrangement.

I am furious in my first reaction but calmed down and read carefullty, seeing that they offered to put the dogs down directly.

You must have been terrified. I am sure the owner was terrified at the events too.

tread with a bit of empathy and sympathy. I hope that the event puts some sense of responsibility into the owner.

I am glad that nothing untoward happened except a bit of frazzled nerve and perhaps some stiff horses today.

Do follow through with the advice for having the vet out. At least to document the possible trauma (or lack of). I have less concern of rabies since the dog showed mental purpose in this event. More concern that a minor puncture has sealed over ( with is typical) and you will have a full blown abscess in another 24 hours.

I am so sorry you went through this.

hoopoe is not a fan of dogs around horses and the notion that it is a charming part of country living. Have spent many an hours trying to repair the results and consoling the owners of the unfortunate patients.

_\\]
            -- * > hoopoe
            The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.
            _\\]
            -- * > hoopoe
            Procrastinate NOW
            Introverted Since 1957

Comment

OMG - how scary is that!? I hope your horses are going to be ok - sometimes it can take a little while for puncture wounds to become apparent.

This is one of my biggest concerns currently - my next door neighbor has several Pit Bulls, and they dig under the woven wire fence and come onto the property I'm renting (w/my horses on it). The neighbors have horses too, and the dogs don't seem to bother them, but they are really nasty dogs through the fence at me, and I'm concerned they might go after the horses. There are 5 or 6 of them, so they have a definite pack mentality going on. They've killed a few feral cats together.

Quite honestly, when I get home and find them on my property I "attempt" to run them over with my car (intending to scare, not hit). If I see them on my property I get a very large walking stick and go after them - so far they have always run away, which is good, because if they threatened me or the horses I'd kill them.

People should be responsible owners - letting a pack of pit bulls run amok is a terrible plan. If I didn't love animals as much as I do, those dogs would be poisoned by now.

Yes, find out if they carried out their intentions of having the dog put down. If not, call animal control. If the pit bulls ever attack my horses, and I don't manage to kill them myself, I would have animal control out there before you could count to three.

Friendship is not worth your safety and your horses' safety. If they haven't put the dog down, take action.

One of the lessons of history is that Nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.
              - Will Durant

One of the lessons of history is that Nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.
              - Will Durant

Comment

As a person that was severely bitten by a dog, I would not hesitate to report a dog that had turned viscious to the authorities....it's only a matter of time before they attack a child, their owner, or you.

Comment

at least the dog owner was as appalled by the incident as you are.

I don't know how many times I've been riding, in an area with tons of signs stating "dogs must be on leash", and had loose uncontrollable dogs go after my horse. The owners are never concerned at all "oh, he won't hurt you, he just wants to play" while I scream at them to control their dog before my horse kicks the dog's head in. Which he will, he has no tolerance for dogs nipping at his legs.

Can't really blame the dogs, it's always the owner's fault.

Comment

I also would have shot the dog. In NC you can shoot any dog on your property causing trouble with your livestock and there is nothing the owner's can legally do for recourse against you. A Bull Mastiff is a big, masive dog. You are very lucky he did no serious damage to your horses. I think I'd need several stiff drinks after the day you had.

I am sorry for the dog and for the circumstances which will lead up to his death. This recently happened to an elderly friends dog that attacked and minorly injured a neighbor's goat when he escaped from his enclosure. She ended up putting her dog down rather than have a major legal battle with the neighbors over this. This dog was so sweet with people so it was a real shame it ended up going to that point. Better to be put down humanely and painlessly though than have a leg shot off by an irate owner and suffer needlessly...not to mention the suffering of the goat/horses.

"Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you. Give me a pig. He just looks you in the eye and treats you as an equal" Winston Churchill
                    "No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle..." Winston Churchill

Comment

Wingedpanda, what are you waiting for?

There are two rottweiler carcasses in our bottom acreage- owner ignored Mr. Katarine's warning after they came onto HIS land and attached HIS dog.

Shoot, shovel,and shut up. I guess that should apply to me, too- but I'm telling you- by waiting you are taking a gigantic chance. A walking stick is nothing but a toothpick to an out of control dog.

"Shoot me now! Shoot me now!"
                      Bugs Bunny

Comment

Katarine - these dogs aren't really out of control. They do NOT come anywhere near to threatening me on my property - they see me coming at a distance and run for it. I don't think they are naturally mean dogs (they seem to listen to their owners, and while they bark/growl like crazy through the fence, they have never done anything threatening when out of their yard), but they are pit bulls and the breed & their number makes me uncomfortable having them loose.

They ignore the horses next door - run in their area, don't really interact with them.

As far as the walking stick goes - I've had some formal training using a staff as a martial arts weapon, and I'm much more dangerous with it than I am with a gun (terrible shot!). It is a VERY solid maple staff, and would make quite a dent in aggressive doggie-heads.

That being said, I have been pondering getting a rifle and learning to shoot. Also pondering running a strand of hot wire at the bottom of my fence.

- Will Durant

- Will Durant

Comment

• Original Poster

I forgot to mention that we have a 5 1/2 month old baby who will probably be walking by the end of the summer. I don't want to take the chance of this dog going after him.

I wanted to kill the dog, but I didn't have anything except a lead rope. I wish one of them had kicked him, but my horses are not agressive enough, they just wanted to get away. My husband was napping with the baby during the whole incident. Everything happened so fast that I never had a chance to get him. Almost 24 hours later, I still shake when I think about that dog trying to shred my horses' tendons.

My guys are due for spring shots, so I will definately have the vet check their legs.

*formerly cfc*

Comment

WP- true story
                            The barn where I boarded had pit bulls. one night the lone female got into a fight with two strays that were stupid enough to come into her yard. The owner, a horse trainer & farrier, went to break up the fight with an aluminum baseball bat. He hit that bitch dog many times with that bat....

it didn't faze her. she killed one stray and the other left. That was how the fight ended.

I'd make it VERY clear to the dogs owners that they are NOT welcome on your land, period. I don't go shooting everything that sets foot on my land, but I do NOT play mind games with dogs.

Just be careful, OK?

"Shoot me now! Shoot me now!"
                            Bugs Bunny

Comment

I would first off like to say that I am very sorry at to what you went through Catalina, it must have been horrible.
                              But why don't people start going after the owners of these dogs, instead of the dogs themselves. For the most part, it is not the dog's fault, but the fault of poor ownership. If we could have responsible dog owners, there would not be this problem. Once a dog gets to the state where it attacks people or other animals, then sadly it must be destroyed, but why let them get to that state? Let's put the blame where it belongs, on the owners. It is either their fault the dog is dangerous, or it is their fault the dog got loose.

Show like you are #1, train like you are #2.
                              Show like you are #1, train like you are #2.

Comment

Going after the owners doesn't do much in many cases until something has already happened.

If I called animal control today about my neighbors' dogs, they would not be able to do a thing except talk to my neighbors - possibly take custody of the dogs IF they could catch them off the neighbor's property.

Additionally, as I'm not 100% certain of the mental stability of my neighbors, and they are just across a fence from my horses, I'd be worried they might DO SOMETHING to my horsesin retribution.

I'm a bit more concerned at present with keeping the dogs on their side of the fence - my neighbors block holes the dogs dig, but that is after they have dug a hole, come onto the property, and gone back!

(Has anyone had luck using a hotwire low on a fence to keep dogs from digging out?)

So how, realistically, does one hold a dog owner responsible for a dangerous/loose animal BEFORE they attack someone, and without starting a feud that could endanger your animals?

- Will Durant
                                - Will Durant

Comment

I have a 4 strand electric HorseGuard fence and it definitely keeps out large/medium dogs and deer (deer around here aren't much bigger than dogs). My JRT's duck under the lower strand and only get shocked occasionally evidenced by their yelps and when they tear over to me for comfort. One of my kitties got it one day in the tail...wow, can't they ever run when they want to!

I know a JRT breeder who keeps her JRT's on her property by running an electric strand between and under the lower and middle boards on her 3 board fence so I think it would be very effective on the pit bulls. Be sure to get a low impedance fencer and ground it with 3 seperate rods 8 feet apart. The low impedance fencer will shock through weeds that touch the fence and the ground rods will ensure a good strong jolt to repel the dogs.

"Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you. Give me a pig. He just looks you in the eye and treats you as an equal" Winston Churchill
                                  "No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle..." Winston Churchill

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WingedPanda:
                                    (Has anyone had luck using a hotwire low on a fence to keep dogs from digging out?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We run a low hot wire to help keep our dogs in the fence. We don't have any diggers, but we do have a climber. Believe me, that hot wire keeps him off the fence.
                                    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Comment

Catalilna, I'd be a basket case if that happened to me. I do hope that the dog's owners do follow thru with plans to euthanize the dog for their sake as well as everyone elses.

I'd have needed quite a few drinks to relax me after that.

Winged Panda - you indicated <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There are 5 or 6 of them, so they have a definite pack mentality going on. They've killed a few feral cats together.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I personally would not hesitate to do something about those pit bulls. I don't care if it was a pack of JRT's, they could do serious damage or kill you and your horses. A large walking stick can only get 1 or 2 dogs at a time and there are 5-6 of them. I do understand how you feel about possible retribution from the dogs owners but if things are that scary there, please do consider finding another place for your horses. At the very least, put an strip of electric fence at ground level and set to kill (ok stun at least). I'm a dog lover but with limited access to horses.

msj

You know you're a horse person when...you can find your boots by smell.

PWBTB@WC (People who browse the BB at Work Clique)

Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

The barn my friend boards at has huskies (3 teams worth), and all of them are diggers. The yard looks like a mine field! They have hot wire low, and don't seem to have a problem with them digging under the fence. These guys would dig out if they could, they're so friendly! I hope this helps, but I would probably electify the whole dang fence if there were a pack of pitt bulls on the other side!

Comment

Working...
                                        X