• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

KENTUCKY BB'ers tell me how ya'll like it there? Updated as we've set a move date!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KENTUCKY BB'ers tell me how ya'll like it there? Updated as we've set a move date!

We're officially hunting for horse property in KY! We are going to be transplanting ourselves and Knowzy.

As we are native Californians I'd like to know what ya'll like about being in Kentucky. Any dislikes?

How many acres is your property? Did you look for a long time?

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - DAVE BARRY

[This message was edited by INoMrEd on Nov. 13, 2003 at 04:43 PM.]
    Libby

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

Transplanted New Yorker (upstate, though) here. We moved here in fall 1996 and it was the best move I ever made (and I have made several).

There are a huge number of horse jobs here in the Bluegrass, as well as many horse resources. As far as riding, Masterson Station Park is wide open and designed with horses in mind, though the soccer players are trying to take over.

We did not buy horse property because when we were looking for a house I was horseless. There are a lot of boarding facilities but you have to be careful, some are great, some are good, and some are dreadful.

Horse property in Fayette County (Lexington) is probably the highest in the state. You can find some better buys in neighboring counties. If you give me an idea of what your horse discipline(s) are, I can maybe point you in the right direction.

As far as general all-around living, I love it here. Lexington is a small city but with a pretty healthy and well-defined downtown. It is a college town so you have that college-town culture. We have a wonderful Philharmonic orchestra, two ballet companies, and lots of artsy stuff (but no art museum per se). We are six hours from Chicago, and a do-able drive to the Atlantic.

Let me know if you have kids, I'll clue you in to the school situation.

One thing: There is DEFINITELY a touch of "southern" in this area. There are huge churches everywhere. People would ask me my religion before they would ask me my name. And don't even ask me about the license plate and the governor!!!!

Does this help?

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my ship."
    -Louisa May Alcott
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

Well, I'm in Miami now for law school, but have lived most of my life in KY, with horses, so....
      Being from California, the land price probably won't shock you. Course, it depends on where you buy. My parents have 30 acres about an hour south of Louisville, but they bought it ages ago, with nothing on it, so what they paid won't be relevant.

You won't appreciate the humidity. It takes some getting used to.
      You won't like the snow/ice storms, which we have our share of.
      You will love the spring, when we have one, and the fall, when we have those.
      You will love the choice of vets, if you live in or around Lex or L'ville. Especially Lex - two major horse hospitals, great vets, plenty to choose from if you don't like the first one.
      Also lots of farriers, though, depending on your discipline, it can take some trial and error to really find one you like!

Best of luck. If you need names of people, vets, places, etc. give a shout. I'm sure we all have suggestions!

To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.
      Benjamin Disraeli, Sybil, 1845
      To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Comment

The LaGrange,KY area is beautiful. It is about 30 minutes from Louisville, has good schools (if you need that) and LOTS of horse properties. It is a higher price area, but if you are used to paying California prices, it will seem cheap.
        If you can get a property in the L'Esprit area (of LaGrange), there is over 20 miles of trails that wind around all the horse farms.

Comment

I'm a native Californian and love our dry, warm climate. But I've visited Kentucky several times. Honestly, I love it, although I'm sure I haven't experienced the worst of the weather extremes. My main impression is that everything moves very slowly there; different attitude than out here.

Still, I figure it's horse heaven. Just the grassy Ky. pastures alone made me feel guilty about how my horses are stabled.

Lord Helpus should chime in here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Amateur Adult Tip #29: When hiring your own private groom, choose a strapping young lad, preferably one who speaks with a heavy foreign accent and sports a few tattoos. Not only will you be visually 'entertained' between classes, but it'll give rise to a scrumptious bevy of rumors!

Comment

I LOFF it here! My family is originally from the area, but we moved to Chicago when I was 3. As soon as I grad. hs I moved back "home!"

I'm just outside of Frankfort, about 40 minutes from downtown Lexington. Land is cheaper out here and Lexington is starting to "build up" a bit (we have fewer neighbors "out in the sticks.") LOL

It is horsey. Not everyone has horses, but they won't stare at you as much when you walk into the grocery store in boots and breeches. Derby time and Keeneland seasons are popular with masses.

The horse care around here is phenomenal. Great vets and farriers-- extremely knowledgeable and just good people, too. KHP has all kinds of shows throughout the season.

I'm so happy here, there's no place I'd rather be!

A note on culture: yes, we are "southern." Don't be shocked if you see a rebel flag on a redneck truck, accompanied by a Nascar number (really, he's probably a nice guy who will help you if your trailer breaks down! .) And if you live in the bluegrass, you MUST be a University of KY fan. It's pretty much the law. And in-state residents say "Loo-uh-vul", not "Louis-ville" or "Looey-ville". )

~AJ~
            I've been there...that's why I'm here.
            “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
            ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

Hey there. I'm back. Now, give this some very careful thought. Do you think you can live with THIS on your car/truck????

http://gov.state.ky.us/plate/

Someone somewhere thought this was a good idea. Whatever happened to the nice plate with the Churchill Downs steeples on it? Or the one they are phasing out, with the green rolling land and blue sky and the nice, soft, fluffy cloud in the shape of Kentucky?

So, that is what we live with here in the Bluegrass.

All kidding aside, it is pretty country. But as Adamsmom says, the weather takes some getting used to. Oh, and we have an occasional earthquake here (seriously! We are near the New Madrid Fault).

-Louisa May Alcott
              "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

But for a few bucks extra, you can get

http://www.kentuckyhorse.org/khclp.htm

(and some of the extra $$ goes to support the KY Horse Council)

Some cynics speculate that the state introduced that awful design for the regular plates to increase demand for the special plates.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hitchinmygetalong:
                  Hey there. I'm back. Now, give this some very careful thought. Do you think you can live with THIS on your car/truck????

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's really cute! I do like the foal plate better, though.

"Member of the Western clique"

"She's called Lucy because she often has some 'splaining to do."

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scotchdun:
                    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hitchinmygetalong:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's really cute! I do like the foal plate better, though.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

People are doing whatever they can to "customize" the tinky winky plate to make it either less repulsive or more meaningful, like the one I saw that had a nice leaf of wacky tabacky plastered over the smiley face. Appropriate, since maryjoowanna is one of the major cash crops out in the hills!

My husband paid the extortion fee for the Horse Council plate, but I refused and am now sporting Mr. Tinky Winky. Oh well, I don't have to look at it.

Seriously though, Kentucky has its problems, just like any state in the union, but those problems are balanced out by beautiful country, a thriving horse culture, and very nice people.

C'mon and visit us sometime!

Oh, and don't forget ROLEX!

-Louisa May Alcott

Comment

I moved here just over 4 1/2 years ago. I live a bit over an hour south of Lexington. I love it here and hope to stay put. I looked for one year to find my 12 3/4 acres but, I'm on a major budget and didn't want a fixer upper. So, I ended up with a 3 bedroom, brick ranch in good shape with 12 3/4 acres of some fairly level and some rolling land for, should I say it, under $150,000. Disadvantes: it does get a bit humid but no more than PA, I wouldn't mind being a little closer to Lexington but the closer you get to Lexington, the more expensive things become. Since I don't have a trailer, and since I'm still on a major budget, getting lessons has been a little difficult. I hope to resolve those problems within the next year. Anyway, I think it's great here and I just want someone who does good dressage lessons to move close to me.
                      Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Comment

Oh, and on the license plate; just get farm plates.
                        Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Comment

We're a bit further north of Lexington, in Boone Co. but still, it is only an hour's drive to the horse park for the shows. This is a VERY horsey area-dressage, hunters, saddlebreds; you name it. We got in early about 20 yrs. ago & now property values have gone through the roof - that is, even if you can find a farm available for sale in the county. We're insulated with woody hills all around the farm, so we'll remain private ... hubby says its time to move on & start over - na-uh! We love the relaxed attitude here & I personally love the winters. If there's ice or deep snow, we just start a big fire in the fireplace, pour a Knob Creek and enjoy the season. Being in close proximity to Cinti, we much rather like to say that we're about an hr. north of Lexington! Happy property hunting!

"... one of those who knows that life is just a leap of faith; spread your arms, hold your breathe and always trust your cape." ~s&g clark~
                          \"... one of those who knows that life is just a leap of faith; spread your arms, hold your breath and always trust your cape.\" ~s&g clark~

Comment

Down south of Lexington, you can still find cheap land. My neighbors bought the surrounding farm at auction in April. They bought 149 acres for $169,000 (no house). I've recently noticed a few farm for sale signs on Highway 127 between Harrodsburg and Lawrenceburg. That's just off the Blue Grass Parkway and an easy jaunt to Lexington. That land will probably be higher than down where I am as it is very convenient to Lexington. There's a 34 acre farm for auction near me this Saturday but, it's pretty hilly.

Comment

The others are right, property prices are going up, but there are still some great buys out there to be found. I have discovered that using realtor.com (which is great for searching for houses) really is inaccurate when hunting for horse property. The best way is to get the Sunday paper's "Homeseller" and look in the very back under farm property. You can get so much more for your money by living a little further away from Lex.

The area is wonderful. Being from a smaller city, it took awhile to get used to the traffic (particulary New Circle Rd.), but if you're from CA, it will be nothing at all.

Very horsey and beautiful area, but it IS growing fast. Your best bet is to check out the counties surrounding Fayette Co.

Oh, and regarding the license plates: Take a tip from a cop's wife (me) and spend the bucks on a plate for the the Police Officer's Memorial Fund. Not only does it support a wonderful cause and look good, it will be VERY helpful if you happen to get pulled over for speeding (and might even prevent you from getting pulled over). But hey, we shouldn't be speeding anyway, right?

The hardest to learn was the least complicated.
                              The hardest to learn was the least complicated.

Comment

A good source of info on what is out there as far as farms go:

http://www.kyhorsefarms.com/

By the way, a nice time to visit is during Keeneland's Fall Meet:

www.keeneland.com

-Louisa May Alcott

Comment

I grew up in SE Kentucky - a little town called Barbourville about 30 miles north of the Cumberland Gap. Very beautiful and very mountainous. We used to be able to get on old logging roads and trail ride for hours without having to worry about automobile traffic. Land prices in the mountains are quite reasonable, but the job market is non-existant.

Comment

I've been a visitor to Holly Jeanne's farm. It's a little slice of heaven IMHO. :-) And darned cheap by Eastern Pennsylvania prices (and no more humid and less icy and snowy) It's not in the Lexington mainstream but is an easy drive to a lot of Lexington events. I'd love to live there. I'd like to live in an area where I could let my horses Live Outside. Anybody in Ky need one helluva good network tech? <grin>

SueL
                                    In Eastern Pennsylvania With Boring License Plates ;-)
                                    "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

http://www.equiimages.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks to all who have posted on this.

Hitch thanks for the links as we definately want at least 5 to 10 +/- acres with a house that has an attached garage and a flat enough area (with one acre level at least) suitable for riding with city utilities (at least water). Our budget is $275,000 max and at that price we'd like a barn/horse facitlities on it.

I have been there on a week long business trip in November a few years ago as the company I work for has an office in L'Ville industrial area on Production Court. My boss knew I would love it there once I realized that horses made the front page of the newspaper EVERYDAY!

I like the foal license plates the other one looks like it would be more appropriate for Sunny So. Cal. where the nuts chase the squirrels.

My (jump building) hubby is in commerecial construction by trade and a total NASCAR nut. So we already have NASCAR stickers on 2 out of three vehicles so that won't be a problem.

Home prices where we currently live in a suburb of L.A. are outrageous with the median home price hitting over $400 last weekend.

We'd like to live within a thirty minute drive to either L'Ville or Lex. We are planning on going on a house hunting vacation to both places so we can see which we like best.

I do H.R. and Computers (NT Administration) for a living and as Wayne is a commercial superintendent we can both find jobs in either L'Ville or Lex.

We are not religious folks just good people who don't go to church, the only thing we do religously is have coffee in the morning. I guess I'd have to say I'm a recovering Catholic. That ought to send folks running! LOL.

To those who have bought horse property without a barn on your property who would you recommend to build one?

We are D.I.N.K.S. (no children only the four legged variety). I ride some eventing some dressage and some jumpers. I used to show but we have put that on hold while we keep saving for our dream home.

We would be buying the house as soon as we found one suitable and leasing it out for a while, since we live with my elderly Mom (85) to whom we promised to not put in a retirement center. Her wish is to die in her own home if at all possible. Right now we are needed here in CA as her primary caregivers.

Please keep the information coming as I find this very helpful! Thanks again!! - Libby
                                      Libby

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

Comment

I moved from southern CA to Lex, KY, and want to recommend the real estate agent who found me the perfect small farm in 13 days.
                                        Linda Willson is a horse person and sells farms--all sizes, all prices.
                                        Linda Willson, Remax Creative Reality
                                        www.lindawillson.com
                                        linda@lindawillson.com
                                        She also gave me a cat as a housewarming gift. I love that cat...

Comment

Working...
                                        X