• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

When Can I come ride your horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 5 View Post

This person BTW didn't care about horses but was sizing me up by my disposable income. I'm pretty sure that is what most non horse people are doing when they ask that - don't under any circumstances tell them- they will use it against you in the future.
    Bingo.

At work it was not a subject I discussed.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by equest View Post
      Recommend a good lesson barn or trail horse place.

That's what I do with people I don't know well and then I give them the local information. My family and friends or their spouses/ect... I have no problem giving them pony rides on a lunge or a lead rope depending on their expertise.

I can't understand all these snippy comments. Someone riding your horse for 10 minutes on a lead rope isn't going to ruin it and I don't see how that compares AT ALL to sleeping with one's spouse. No wonder horse people are considered snooty!

Geez.
      Dreaming in Color

Comment

Like a few other people I didn't get my own horse til later in life. For 2 + decades I was reliant upon the kindness of friends to get to ride. In my experience 90 percent of the people who ask if they can ride your horse don't put serious effort into making it to my barn to ride. The other 10 percent generally end up coming out and riding and helping out in exchange for the opportunity and some of those even end up getting horses or at least developing a real appreciation for horses. That makes it worth putting up with all the idjits.

Now that I run a lesson barn I definitely say yes to people who ask and then quote rates
        glimmerling

Member Appaloosa lovers clique

Comment

Originally posted by Chardavej View Post

I want to encourage more people to get interested and involved with horses. I think we need more of us.

Now I don't get asked alot, and most people don't actually take me up on the offer, especially after being told about the waiver and the helmet and riding in the round pen.

I don't try to insult them, they just don't understand what being a horse owner feels like so I try to remember that. I love my horses, they are my joy, what I live for, but I don't expect them to know that.
          Well said! I do have a helmet rule and while I may not always wear a helmet on my horse, but anyone else riding her must or they don't ride. Oh and they must not only sign a barn waiver, they must sign a personal waiver of mine too.
          Dreaming in Color

Comment

I have people out all of the time. I only have one horse that isn't suitable for leadlining, which leaves 3 horses and a pony. I feel like I am a horse ambassador, and several people whose first rides were being led around my front yard have become acomplished riders.

Comment

Originally posted by drmgncolor View Post
              Someone riding your horse for 10 minutes on a lead rope isn't going to ruin it and I don't see how that compares AT ALL to sleeping with one's spouse. No wonder horse people are considered snooty!

Geez.
              It may not ruin the horse but it sure as hell would ruin me if they got hurt and I got sued. Equine activity liability statutes don't cover pony rides given by well-intentioned people.

My farm policy also has limits. If it paid out in full, I'd be responsible for anything over that amount.

Unless I can count on COTH posters to give me money to pay the remainder of the judgment........ the person will be referred to a lesson barn.

Nicely, of course.

I did let a kid do a "pony ride" on one of my horses on a very hot day, and I held the reins. That kid is now taking lessons and I hope to see her out foxhunting next season.

But my horses are not good lesson horses and no one but really experienced riders belong on them. Even if it's a pony ride.
              Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
              Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
              -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I just say no, I don't have any suitable horses. I do actually have one beginner horse, an older TWH mare, that prefers not to go faster than a flat walk. I happily put the (very rare) visiting child on her back- I want to encourage young horse lovers. A friend of mine has a very flashy Western Pleasure ASB. Oftentimes, after they win a class at a show, children will approach them and tell how much they love his horse. Of course the children don't ask, but he'll put the kids up on the horse for a pony ride. The horse is OK with it, it amuses my friend, and the children are absolutely thrilled!

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                  It may not ruin the horse but it sure as hell would ruin me if they got hurt and I got sued. Equine activity liability statutes don't cover pony rides given by well-intentioned people.
                  Insurance is one thing... and a very good reason... but being an ass to someone for simply asking is an entirely different story.
                  Dreaming in Color

Comment

• Original Poster

A major point is that he didn't ask, he told. As in I'll be out in a couple of months when the weather is better. There was not asking involved. I did refer him to a rental barn where they can go up in the mountains for a couple hour ride. However, he won't go for that because he once got a ticket in that town Suck it up, you were speeding ya ding dong. great responses though. Hmmmm. I would ask to ride his girlfriend but I don't swing that way.
                    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by pony89 View Post
                      Saying no outright with no explanation can come off rude or blunt. I'm not opposed to this when the person who is asking is being rude or inconsiderate.

The vast majority of people who have ever asked me are genuinely interested, hopeful that they might get a fun opportunity, and would be thrilled for the chance for a ride. They don't think they are owed anything, they aren't being presumptuous, they just think it sounds like a lot of fun (which it is!) and something they would love to try if they could. It is not them personally that is making me say no, so I would rather explain that. If circumstances were different, I would let them come out, so why not say that instead of just giving a negative answer that would make them feel uncomfortable and embarrassed for having asked?
                      I agree. I just don't get why everyone needs to think up rude and snarky answers. The majority of the time the person asking just thinks it sounds great, maybe even because you are going on about how wonderful it is. I think apologising and just saying "I'm sorry but I have just always had this rule that no-one else rides my horse" is quite sufficient, or heck, perhaps sometime you could even let someone on your horse and for a few minutes let them share the excitement of what you love!!!

Comment

I suppose it's because I don't like people who invite themselves along for anything - maybe I'm old school. It drives me batty - it's a pet peeve of mine. I was taught to always take the smaller piece of cake, and NEVER EVER EVER invite yourself along to something you haven't been invited to - not even a hint.

So for someone to say "When am I going to ride your horse" is like - are you kidding me?

I invite LOTS of people who are curious about horses to the barn. Tons and tons! For the most part they are respectful and listen. Several haven't been, and curiously enough they were always the ones who invited themselves.

It's a manner thing.

Comment

What those of you saying "how rude" don't realize, is that most of the folks demanding to ride your horse don't see it as the breathtaking, dangerous, beautiful animal we're so obsessed with.

To those people a horse is merely an ATV with legs, and they can't understand why we're being so "selfish".

They don't understand the connection, and certainly don't have the love for these beasties that we do.

For a horse-crazy child? That's different. I've given many a lead-line ride to a child who was totally enraptured with the experience.

It's the pushy adults who think they know how to ride because they went on a nose-to-tail ride with a guide once and think it's easy, that I have no patience with.

Rarely do adults come to love horses. It generally starts in the womb, and progresses from there. You can't "teach" someone a passion; it's either there or it's not.

I absolutely loathe sports, but most particularly American football. I've suffered through games in silence, but I never understood the pull of it. It's the same with any passion.
                          Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

Originally posted by arabhorse2 View Post
                            Rarely do adults come to love horses. It generally starts in the womb, and progresses from there. You can't "teach" someone a passion; it's either there or it's not.

I absolutely loathe sports, but most particularly American football. I've suffered through games in silence, but I never understood the pull of it. It's the same with any passion.
                            You don't think it's a bit extreme to say that you can't acquire a passion? It's difficult to be passionate about something UNTIL you've been exposed to it. There are tons of people who have never been up close to a horse. Good riding does look effortless, and you rarely see bad riding on TV or movies, so I understand why people might think a horse is just a living ATV. Even horse-crazy kids don't necessarily understand the "connection" or dangerousness of these animals.
                            Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
                            Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
                            NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Comment

What those of you saying "how rude" don't realize, is that most of the folks demanding to ride your horse don't see it as the breathtaking, dangerous, beautiful animal we're so obsessed with.
                              People who demand a ride are going to be disappointed, because that is the scenario where I would give a flat out no. I still would try not to be snarky since that's not really my style. Honestly, though, that has never happened to me. Maybe I am just blessed with particularly wonderful family, friends, and co-workers.

Besides, anyone who tried to demand something out of my horse would be in for a surprise I would have to assume that anyone who treated me like that would not get along with my horse. She'll do anything you ask, but not much that you tell her

Comment

Wow...MtnTrails, take a deep breath

Have you never met a horse-ignorant person before?

How many times have people found out you own a horse and then bored you with the story of their Scary Trail Ride?

What is wrong with just telling your coworker:
                                1 - that your horses can't be ridden by people with limited or no riding experience
                                2 - that you have no child-safe horse to even lead

Either of these can be true or not, your choice.

Personally I don't have a problem with people wanting to meet my horses or try riding.
                                I have done leadline rides for small children and longed Ground Zero adults on my senior horse.
                                For those claiming experience they are put on the longeline first so I can evaluate how much I can allow. Some remain there and are quite happy to walk in a circle.
                                A Swiss fellow I worked with ended up jumping one of my horses (and doing a very nice job of it) after I longed him for all of 5 minutes, enough to tell he knew what he was doing.
                                *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                                Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                                Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                                Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

To those people a horse is merely an ATV with legs, and they can't understand why we're being so "selfish".
                                  If someone invited themselves out to ride my ATV I'd think they were rude too.

Comment

Originally posted by pony4me View Post
                                    A guy at work asked me if he could bring his wife out to ride one of my horses. I replied that she had a better chance of sleeping with my husband than riding my horse. He hasn't asked since. I have several jumping pictures in my office, and it seems to deter beginners.
                                    I LOVE that response! I will have to remember that one!!!
                                    Thanks!
                                    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Comment

I think there's a difference between folks who are truly being rude vs those who just don't understand but are really really excited about the idea of riding a horse.

Add to that the the truly excited set probably HAS been on a horse once or twice at some "tail ride" deal where they pick out their horse based on color or size and all horses are available to them--they assume that all horses are that way--safe for anyone and everyone. AND, they have a false sense of security about their ability.

I honestly haven't met many of the "rude" types. I'm also lucky enough to have a horse who anybody really CAN ride. It's pretty cool to put someone up on her and see the huge grin on their face. It only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish to create a pretty cool memory for someone.

When folks ask me, I explain that I'd be happy to take them out sometime...give me a call when you want to schedule it. Most of them never take me up on it because I think it slips their mind. Those who do are so danged geeked when they get a chance to ride that it's totally worth it.
                                      A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Originally posted by linquest View Post
                                        You don't think it's a bit extreme to say that you can't acquire a passion? It's difficult to be passionate about something UNTIL you've been exposed to it.
                                        I was never exposed to horses as a child, but I've been absolutely crazy about them as long as I've been alive. So no, I don't think it's difficult to be passionate about something until you've been exposed to it.

Yes, folks can acquire passions, but rarely does horse ownership turn into a full-blown obsession, unless they've always wanted a horse since they were wee people.

I can understand finding an interesting hobby as an adult, but it rarely turns into a passion unless the desire for it has been there most of one's life.

I didn't say it was impossible, but for most people it's improbable to suddenly realize they're passionate about horses, after having finally been exposed to them.

Case in point; I've discovered an interest in motorcycles the last several years. I plan to have one at some point, but it's not an overwhelming desire. It'll be fun, and I plan to take all the requisite safety courses, but my true passion is and always will be horses.

For some people it's sports, for others it's boating, or any one of a myriad of things, but the real, true passions usually start when someone's a child.
                                        Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

Originally posted by drmgncolor View Post
                                          That's what I do with people I don't know well and then I give them the local information. My family and friends or their spouses/ect... I have no problem giving them pony rides on a lunge or a lead rope depending on their expertise.

I can't understand all these snippy comments. Someone riding your horse for 10 minutes on a lead rope isn't going to ruin it and I don't see how that compares AT ALL to sleeping with one's spouse. No wonder horse people are considered snooty!

Geez.
                                          Ha, I was reading this whole thread going "Hmmm... I disagree", "Not too sure about that", "Wow, that's a mean response" and then I got to this comment and I totally AGREE.

I know people view their horses as their children, but I think for the most part when coworkers and family express an interest (even in a demanding way) maybe they are just trying to learn something new or to get to know you better and spend time with you? (obviously this doesn't include the people who want to go up alone and gallop in the fields for days without your supervision)

And while I agree leading someone around on your unbroke 2 year old can only end in tears, I doubt that's the case in everyone's situation. And, hey, to each their own, if you would prefer not to do something nice for someone you'd rather not spend time with.. so be it. But let's not act affronted and claim that the person has no respect for your equine interests and shame them when they shockingly ask if they could ride your horse.

Oh and I laughed a lot at the comment about the "scary trail ride story" when you tell someone you ride. So true.

Comment

Working...
                                          X