• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Reporting a "stolen" horse to Jockey Club-Bad Check Written, still waiting!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporting a "stolen" horse to Jockey Club-Bad Check Written, still waiting!!!

Ok first of all I know I did things all wrong. I had a tb mare for sale $950. Agreed to deliver her to the buyers with a new blanket. Get her off the trailer and hand them the bill of sale they say "oh we thought she was $500". I did not want to take this mare back home. People seemed like a super fit. We agreed on $800, $500 cash and $300 check. Deposited the money 12/19. Jan 2nd get a notice check bounced. Odd as it was the same state it took so long. At any rate I have emailed the buyer three times (one being tonight, so let's say two) starting Jan 3rd. I have called her twice and gone straight to her voice mail and left a message. I still have the mare's papers. They were not to go to her til the check cleared, thank goodness I waited a bit longer the 10 days. I am considering my options if she does not respond. I will certainly contact her local police etc. But I don't want her to get a copy of the mare's papers if she doesn't pay the amount she signed to pay on the bill of sale. Can I report to the Jockey Club the mare has been "stolen" or a bad check written? I am just looking at options as it's been 5 days and no response at all though I've emailed and called.
    Last edited by aspenlucas; Jan. 22, 2009, 03:03 PM. Reason: Update
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

I'm sure that others will answer as well, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope that withholding the mare's papers will cause the buyer to pay.

Obviously, I don't know all the details, but the buyer could easily turn around and sell the mare as either without papers or as grade. She may not need the papers at all.

I don't think the Jockey Club cares one way or another unless the owner intends to race or to breed (with eventual registration of the foal).

Do you have a friend who lives near the buyer who could stop by?

I don't think I would wait too long for a reply to your emails and phone calls before involving a lawyer and/or the police.

Good luck.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Posting Trot View Post
      I'm sure that others will answer as well, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope that withholding the mare's papers will cause the buyer to pay.

Obviously, I don't know all the details, but the buyer could easily turn around and sell the mare as either without papers or as grade. She may not need the papers at all.

I don't think the Jockey Club cares one way or another unless the owner intends to race or to breed (with eventual registration of the foal).

Do you have a friend who lives near the buyer who could stop by?

I don't think I would wait too long for a reply to your emails and phone calls before involving a lawyer and/or the police.

Good luck.
      Yeah $300 is too much for a lawyer. Luckily I work for a company that deals with bad checks and I realize I can contact the police and that you can actually be arrested for that. Most people make good on a check. I'm not sure she NEEDS the papers, but what if she contacted the JC and said the papers were lost? Forged my name? That is my concern. I'd like to think she is just bad with her check book and it was an error, but I also know when I made an error like that and a check didn't clear I contacted the party (hay guy) immediately and did what I could to make it right. I also want people to beware. I mean I know I had two holidays in there, but Dec 19th to Jan 2nd for a check to go bad. That is more then 10 days. Sad but true, but people like this make it hard for anyone. I won't trust anyone again. Ever. The mare was cheap...but she was a nice mare. I just hope they are treating her well. I did google the buyer's name and didn't come up with anything bad yet. So I'm still hopeful!
      www.frostyoaks.com

Comment

You can go to your local State Attorney's Office or District Attorney or whatever they call it in your area regarding the bad check, but as far as the horse she is not stolen, that is a civil issue. You need to contact an attorney and sue them in civil court. You can hold her papers until you get your $$, but she's not stolen.
        You could try going back over there with the $$ they gave you and repossessing her, google the laws of your state first.
        In FL there is an additional charge for bad checks that reads something about purchasing something over a certain dollar amount (mostly used for cars), you might want to check if your state has that.
        But I'm sorry to tell you that your horse isn't stolen.
        "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

I believe anything $500.00 and over is a felony? Report to the police and have them track her down and arrest her.
          In an age when scientists are creating artificial intelligence, too many of our educational institutions seem to be creating artificial stupidity.—Thomas Sowell, Is Thinking Obsolete?

Comment

oops. pays to read more carefully - just reread and saw the check was for $300. I think you can still get them for issuing a bad check, just not sure of the details for that amount.
            In an age when scientists are creating artificial intelligence, too many of our educational institutions seem to be creating artificial stupidity.—Thomas Sowell, Is Thinking Obsolete?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Jaegermonster View Post
              But I'm sorry to tell you that your horse isn't stolen.
              So what is she? Not paid in full? I don't understand? She signed a bill of sale specifically stating that she would pay $800, $500 cash and $300 check. I've been googling a bit and find that she actually works for a place that my company deals with...hmm. This could get easier to at least track her down. Just wondering what my options are, as I don't want to wait too long to report that bad check and then be SOL. You know recently I've been thinking alot about my mom, my sister, who have no horses. They teach school and go about their life. How much less stressful would it be to NOT deal with horse people!
              www.frostyoaks.com

Comment

Like I said, it's a civil issue. Just like with a car or anything else. You can repossess her or you can sue them, but she's not stolen unfortunately. Check the laws of your state, but I feel pretty secure in saying that she's not stolen. Real hard to say something is stolen when you delivered it yourself too. I would probably just go get her and call it a day, if it were me, or cut my losses. It will cost you more in court fees than the amount of the bounced check.
                "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

She is not stolen. Report the bad check to the police and go immediately to civil small claims court for the $300+filing fee. It is both a crime and a civil matter. Can't you do both?

Why even bother with the papers mess when you know you will win? You were a good girl and got a bill of sale and have the bad check. No lawyer needed.

Comment

Felony level depends on the state-but check kiting (which is writing a bad check as she did) may not even have a dollar limit. You can at least swear out police charges for the check. Apparently $300 is a misdemeanor (third degree) and don't forget the charges you're going to have to pay too. Did they have insufficient funds or do a stop payment? I think that might make a difference too.
                    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

When I had a sale gone bad, I trailered right to the house and told them I needed either the money or the horse. They loaded the horse.

Comment

If it makes you feel better to call the Jockey club then do so, they would be able to tell you if someone can get a copy of the papers or if you can make sure they can't.

This issue happened to the first horse I sold... almost the exact same situation but a bit more money. I asked a family member who was a lawyer (real estate law but the buyer didnt' know!) to call and a cashier check came the next day!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 2LaZ2race View Post
                          This issue happened to the first horse I sold... almost the exact same situation but a bit more money. I asked a family member who was a lawyer (real estate law but the buyer didnt' know!) to call and a cashier check came the next day!!!
                          Lol well...I do rent a barn from a lawyer and she's always offered to do work for me for free....hmmm.... I'm starting to realize I have options if this buyer doesn't come through. I also have close friends in the area. Let's hope I hear from her in the next day or so....if not you guys are giving me lots of good advise!
                          www.frostyoaks.com

Comment

The jockey club really won't want to get involved. However, I do know that they have in the past over owed wages to a trainer. They will be more favorable to you since you are in possession of the papers than if you only had the horse.

That being said. It will cost her $150, plus a fee to have them notarized, plus the headache of taking pictures and filling out duplicate requests if she does want to get papers and the jockey club complies.

Comment

the only way to ensure that the papers are not duplicated are to return the originals to the JC and state that you are returning them bc you do not want them to breed or race her. You can still breed a TB mare and register the TB foal without the papers, but if the JC has it on file, they may (if they have their ducks in a row) not allow the foal to be registered. They will not issue dups though. However......you do not want the mare lose her identity or to have less value to the owners, bc it is all to easy for them to sell her at some low end auction to slaughter and get most of their $500 back......and the mare is the big loser.

Does she live in the same state as you? If so, it is much easier. Send her an invoice-- certified mail-- twice within 45 days with the amount owed- in fact, send it certified to her home and her office, twice in 45 days, with a due date- and in big letters at the bottom of the second notice, write "FINAL NOTICE BEFORE COURT ACTION"- keep copies of the notices- that usually gets people to step up to the plate- I have had to do that three times, once for a board bill when I used to board horses, and twice with clients of my husband's (shoeing) and it worked every time. In PA it helps your court case....and usually saves you from actually having to file.

Good luck.
                              Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
                              MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

Comment

Originally posted by minnie View Post
                                I believe anything $500.00 and over is a felony? Report to the police and have them track her down and arrest her.
                                In VA the limit is $250 unless the check is for rent. Ask me how I know.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well she emailed! She said she was away. At any rate she says she sending a money order out today, yeah! So I'll file all the ideas just in case the MO doesn't come but I'm hoping I'm ok. Thanks Everyone!
                                  www.frostyoaks.com

Comment

Goodness that was fast. 11 hours 59 minutes from problem post to resolution.
                                    Some of these threads are like watching a TV show from opening teaser to tag line.
                                    A pussycat of a horse with a chewed off tail won the triple crown, The Cubs won the world series and Trump won the Presidency.
                                    Don't tell me 'It can't be done.'

Comment

FYI if you would like to know if a check will clear WITHOUT depositing it you call the bank its drawn on, ask for the bookkeeper and tell her you want to challenge the check. they will ask the routing numbers and amount and tell you if it will clear or not. Having had checks that were NSF and bounced too many times to redeposit a helpful bank lady told me this neat trick. hope you get paid for your horse..
                                      the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart

Comment

Originally posted by macmtn View Post
                                        FYI if you would like to know if a check will clear WITHOUT depositing it you call the bank its drawn on, ask for the bookkeeper and tell her you want to challenge the check. they will ask the routing numbers and amount and tell you if it will clear or not. Having had checks that were NSF and bounced too many times to redeposit a helpful bank lady told me this neat trick. hope you get paid for your horse..

Does it work on the nigerian scam checks?
                                        A pussycat of a horse with a chewed off tail won the triple crown, The Cubs won the world series and Trump won the Presidency.
                                        Don't tell me 'It can't be done.'

Comment

Working...
                                        X