• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Longeing - a useful tool?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longeing - a useful tool?

Do you think Longeing is a useful tool? How often would you longe? What kinds of 'apparatus' does your horse wear while longeing?
    Mine usually wear a bridle, a roller, a longeing cavesson, longeing lead, longeing whip (to flick at him when he gets lazy!) and loose side reins to stop him mucking around! But occasionally I use the 'pessoa' system, which I find useful also.

I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've lunged any of my horses. I've never had any that really needed it, and no one ever really taught me how to do it properly, so I'd just rather hop on and ride through whatever needs to be fixed.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Comment

I find it extremely useful these days. I have a rather weak back and when I don't want to overtax it, I lunge. I also use lunging to see what a horse is doing; I usually work alone and I think its important to be able to watch them move. I get a lot of OTTBs too and I think it helps build up their right side, which is usually less developed.

Equipment: I keep it simple and just lunge in their normal tack with fairly loose side reins. I've never tried the Pessoa system; do you think it helps?

Comment

May I insert a question into your thread? I have the book Common Sense Dressage by Sally O'Connor. There are photos of horses being lunged in a lunging cavesson with overchecks. It seems that very few lunging cavessons sold these days include the rings for the overchecks, and I've never seen anything marketed as "overchecks" in a tack catalog. In addition to answering the OP's questions, can someone shed some light on the use of overchecks while lunging?
        TheCatFarm Handmade cat toys.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by caryledee View Post
          I find it extremely useful these days. I have a rather weak back and when I don't want to overtax it, I lunge. I also use lunging to see what a horse is doing; I usually work alone and I think its important to be able to watch them move. I get a lot of OTTBs too and I think it helps build up their right side, which is usually less developed.

Equipment: I keep it simple and just lunge in their normal tack with fairly loose side reins. I've never tried the Pessoa system; do you think it helps?

I think it does. For me, it takes a while to get the actual thing on because i find it's a bit fiddley. It's got adjustable pulley things so you can adjust the head position to where you need it e.g. low for a greenie, or high for a more experienced horse etc...

Comment

I was taught how to lunge/longe properly (though not how to spell it!! ) and I used to do it consistently as a warmup or on days when I couldn't ride due to some injury (to me, not the horse) or something. I was, at the time, with trainers who were big fans of extensive longeing with cavesson, surcingle, side reins, etc.

Lately I've been at a more western oriented barn, and there isn't such a strong belief that longeing is vital as a daily exercise, so I've happily dumped it. I occasionally do 10 minutes longeing as a warmup, but mostly I just warmup while riding, and on occasional days I am not up to riding I sometimes ground drive or do work in hand instead. I don't roundpen, either, by the way, which some people use as a sort of western-style substitute for longeing.

So having done it and not done it, I'm not sure it's quite the be-all end-all some people think, but it certainly is useful occasionally, particularly in developing green horses to help them find their balance and develop a bit before a rider sits on them.

Comment

Originally posted by cocopuff View Post
              May I insert a question into your thread? I have the book Common Sense Dressage by Sally O'Connor. There are photos of horses being lunged in a lunging cavesson with overchecks. It seems that very few lunging cavessons sold these days include the rings for the overchecks, and I've never seen anything marketed as "overchecks" in a tack catalog. In addition to answering the OP's questions, can someone shed some light on the use of overchecks while lunging?
              I've never seen a dressage horse longed in an overcheck, but the saddleseat trainer at our barn uses them all the time. Maybe a dressage trainer can elaborate on why one would use an overcheck- both of my horses need stretching out help, not head up help!

To buy an overcheck, check a gaited/saddleseat catalog!
              http://www.nationalbridle.com/product-p/1-0122.htm

To answer the OP, longing is a regular part of training for both of my horses. I longe them in a saddle (or surcingle, if I'm sure I won't be riding after), bridle, and side reins or vienna reins.

Comment

I lunge maybe once or twice a month as a rule. With side-reins, work on transitions, etc. Usually lunging is for me a day when I don't have time/don't feel well enough/etc to ride. My girl knows there is no bucking or messing around when she's saddles on the lunge, but occasionally for fun I lunge 'nakey' and she really lets loose. She's pretty funny with it, never pulls or runs like a crazy horse, but REALLY bucks. The CMT thinks she's self adjusting.
                Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Comment

We use long lines, instead of the single line method of lunge/lounging.

We use no extra gimmicks, just a bridle, surcingle, long lashed whip.

We find the horse to learn faster, respond much better, going in the long lines. Lunging teaches a lot of bad body position, and does not allow control of the whole horse body that long lining does. Horse actually has to unlearn a lot, if they have been lunging on a line, before he will go correctly in the long lines.

We find a horse will lean or hang on the sidereins, where they don't on the long lines. They "zone out" just going around, no reward or release of pressure. Usually hanging on the line so body is leaning the wrong way all the time. We can do instant correction, releases, with the lines to reward the animal as he does it correctly. He learns self-carriage, because it is the most comfortable postition to travel in, develops the muscles needed for it. They experiment with head up, head down, snaking his neck during travel, but finally get it right as they learn. He not held up artificially with sidereins, checkrein or sidecheck, using body held incorrectly, learning in false body frame. All the good work of long lines, easily transfers to work in saddle or our CDE Driving needs.

If horse won't go the way you want without the various "attachments" then they are not TRAINING him. Attachements or gimmicks, are just forcing horse to go the way you want, he has not learned.

So long lines are the tool of choice here, and ours never get lunged/lounged anymore. We do have a round pen, gets used now and again for a session in starting a horse.. We find it to be a step in training, not the end-all for fixing things. Too much use is not helpful in teaching. Again, long lines are much more adaptable in developing a horse's knowledge, advancing his skills without a fight, teaching him to work with his handler.

Comment

I think it is useful. I lunge or free lunge in a round pen on a semi-regular basis. Nothing too strenuous, I try to keep the circle as large as possible. I use it to teach and reinforce voice commands and work on transitions. As far as equipment, it really depends on the day and the purpose. If it is just to get a few bucks out after a week of rain, then nothing but a halter and lungeline, maybe a studchain. If I am lunging before I ride, then saddle and bridle, with reins acting as side reins. If I am only lunging as the day's training, then a bridle, surcingle and side reins.

Comment

Lungeing is very useful.

However I'm continually surprised how many people I run into who think it's merely making the horse run in a circle until it's worn out enough to get on and ride. And/or (since they often go hand in hand ) don't understand 'how' to lunge a horse, because they've never been taught.

For me, I was taught to lunge a horse while as a working student in Europe, under some fairly well known trainers. It's an art, and has so many possibilities.

I don't lunge everyday, but I do use it as what it's meant to be for, a schooling tool. Rather then as a 'wear' em out before I get on' thing that so many seem prone to. That's not what it's for.
                      Originally posted by ExJumper
                      Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Comment

Lunge, free lunge and long lines. Every moment on the lines is considered work time in my book and they are to act as though they are being ridden- no yahooing around. Never more than 20 mintues though.

Comment

At my barn we rarely longe... and even then the horses are "roped" using a rope like you would use for roping cows, only softer than anything you usually find for sale. It's set up kind of like a war bridle. It gives amazing control and makes it very easy to change direction. All the horses learn to jump on the rope before they are even ridden the first time. The result is a horse that is really easy to start over fences once you get on... in fact they jump as a reward, since the flat work is more mentally taxing for them. Horses that are broke only get roped a few times a year in the winter. The are not allowed to buck and run like fools. They have to learn to control their emotions when they are working. They can buck in turn out.

Comment

I'm working with a 13 YO TB who was ridden infrequently for several years and is quite green. I find longeing to be a useful activity for us. I use it to work on his balance and rhythm, as well as to teach him verbal commands and work on easy transitions. I also like to know that he's capable of the basics of longeing- you never know when it will come in handy (like if a vet needs to check for soundness or if you want a lesson on a longe line).

I do not longe him before every ride. Sometimes I longe him a little bit after the ride and sometimes not at all. I do not longe him for more than 10-15 minutes including walk work. He normally wears a saddle and bridle or a surcingle and bridle/cavesson.

On days that we do not longe, we do clicker training, free longeing, or in-hand work before our rides. I find that we can have longer sessions of work if the entire session is not spent under saddle. Plus, the variety is good for him and he is improving with all of the handling.

Cherry Hill's longeing book is a good read if you're interested in expanding the scope of your longeing/long lining training.
                            Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Instagram

Comment

I find longeing to be a useful tool, when done right, for conditioning/ exercise on days I don't have time to ride, and for training. Generally I will simply longe with halter and longe line and whip, I don't own a longeing cavesson. I'll also sometimes use a surcingle and side reins for certain things.

I think it's a waste of time if the intent is to simply wear the horse down/ take the 'edge' off. I figured out in the 60s when showing western pleasure horses, that all that does for you is create a fitter horse that takes longer to 'work down.'

And when done wrong- well, lots of circles in general are not good for horses' joints, and someone standing still and having a horse twirling 'round creates even more stress on the joints without accomplishing anything good.

Comment

I've never been a huge fan of the lunge line but a trainer recently recommended to me to try the lunge line and side reins to get my young horse a little rounder in the neck. After the first try, then getting on, she was a little straighter and more forward than normal. NICE! She's normally quite lazy.

Comment

I don't lunge my horses........... I can't find much purpose for it. I don't even know if three of my horses know how to lunge. My 4 year old gelding does know because the trainer I sent him to taught him too. I like to ride my horses instead and I can jump on any of mine without lunging them even the youngster.

I see alot of horse people who seem to become dependant on lunging and they seem to lunge more than they ride. But whatever floats your boat I guess
                                  RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
                                  May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
                                  RIP San Lena Peppy
                                  May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Comment

Oh, I am a HUGE convert - thanks to a wonderful trainer. I am learning in hand work, long lining, free lunging. It is simply amazing what you can do for your horse in even 10 or 15 minutes, if you know what to do and how to do it (which I am learning....but we are getting there!). It is fabulous - especially now, when they have to walk so carefully outside because of the frozen ground, even if it is cold I can free lunge for 15 minutes and help my horse activate his hind end and stretch his back and get it swinging. It helps too, if I lack time, or if he is coming back from an issue, if I want to work on something specifically before I get in the saddle. The only times I don't do it is (1) at a clinic or show, obviously (2) if we're hacking (3) if I want to focus on something specific under saddle, and especially if weather (too hot, too cold) conditions mean you have to make a choice.

And there is a huge plus for you as well - you not only improve your eye (I used to have to look at his back, then his legs, then his neck, now I can use what Sally Swift calls the "soft eye" and get the whole picture of how he is moving), but you realize how much the horse mimics you. My posture has improved greatly since I started this work, and everything translates to the saddle (and back).

I count it an enormous blessing to have been introduced to this.
                                    www.specialhorses.org
                                    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

I definitely think longeing has its place. Sometimes when I am asked to ride a horse, I will longe in the round pen for 5-10 minutes just to get a feel for the animal.

I have used it in the past to take the edge off of my mare before getting on (chilly days where I am the only one at the barn). I don't let them buck and go crazy on the longe, just simple walk/trot/canter behave yourself type of thing.

Sometimes if I have a horse who is weak on one side at the canter, I will longe. It helps him find his own balance before adding a rider.
                                      Originally posted by barka.lounger
                                      u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Comment

I use it when a horse is really fresh and when I first start them. It comes in handy when they like to play!
                                        Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

Comment

Working...
                                        X