• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Mission Accomplished

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission Accomplished

Tonight Mr. FG and myself bundled up Little FG and took her out to the barn. I am there most evenings, if I can't get there usually Mr. FG swings by to check on Windsor. But Little FG hasn't been out since Fall.

Anyway most nights when I come home she will ask "How is Windsor?" and want to know what I did with him. She is only 2.5 years old but amazingly articulate. She will ask if he got brushed, fed, if I pet his nose, tucked him in, etc. So she was ridiculously happy to actually get to go with me tonight.

Mr. FG is admittedly a little nervous to have her in the barn, protective daddy that he is, so it was heart attack city for him. But she loved every minute!

She helped me feed him, groom him, and she even helped me pick out his stall. She kept commanding Win to SIT but we had to explain he is a bit different from our Golden Retriever and doesn't know how to sit!

On the way home, she asked me if I would get her a "little helmet," and put Windsor on "the leash," so she could "ride him fast!"

I never wanted to push her towards the horse thing, or anything that was not entirely HER idea or her interest. But.. I think I see family trail rides in our future..... (maybe Mr. FG can ride alongside in a tractor instead of on a horse....! )
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Like mother, like daughter - you'll be doing leadline before you know it!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Hazelnut View Post
      Like mother, like daughter - you'll be doing leadline before you know it!
      I KNOW I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

(I even have two ponies picked out for her. )

Comment

Awwww...

LMEqT came out to the barn tonight while I was wrapping Dinky's foot.

Her pony, Rosie, was in the next stall.

So I told her to go on in and give her some love, as she had gotten her teeth done today.

She goes in.. turns to pull the door shut and her expression is of absolute pure innocent glee. Oh! To be in her ponys stall AT NIGHT, what a priviledge.

I could hear her in there talking... she cannot say her R's so she calls her Whoasie.. she told her all about her day at school, asked her about seeing the dentist, told her it doesn't really hurt, told her she would be able to ride her soon.. it was so cute.

Miss Rosie stood there the entire time, never moved an inch. Her halo of course remains intact
        "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
        ---
        The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon View Post
          I KNOW I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

(I even have two ponies picked out for her. )
          Is one of them Whoasie?!!!
          ---
          The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
            Is one of them Whoasie?!!!
            Ha ha... would LMEqT part with Whoasie??? Sounds like they are two peas in a pod! I am so very glad she has such a lovely pony, she seems like such a good kid.

One on the list is an ugly-but-saintly small that is currently in a friend's lesson string... the other a sweet gray medium who belongs to another friend. I'm hoping by the time Little FG is ready, one of the two will be ready for semi-retirement and can come live with us.... I cannot wait to deck her out in pink riding equipment...

An aside: I hope there is nothing wrong with the Dinkster's foot! I feel an odd connection to him, since he was Dan's "little brother" and all. Hope he is ok!

Comment

Flash... Just be forewarned!!! One she is converted... You will never get the ring to yourself again ;-p lol I speak from experience! We are starting the pony search ourselves.
              If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Comment

Awwwww!!!!

On the way home, she asked me if I would get her a "little helmet," and put Windsor on "the leash," so she could "ride him fast!"
                That is too cute.

Next time you must take PICTURES!

I am jealous of people who have small children that give them a license to hang around with little ponies! My stepkids are afraid of dirt, let alone my kind, quiet, snuggly (but big and tall) OTTB mare. Sigh.
                I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

• Original Poster

She is still talking about it today!

My sister just called and I told her about it, she commented how ironic it is that I've made a serious point NOT to influence her on the horse thing... and here she is, pony crazy...

Anyone know where I can find grooming tools for little hands? She has a hard time with the regular sized brushes.

Lori, I will admit, the thought of cute little ponies in our future makes me all giggly... and it is a shame your step-kids aren't into the horses, seems like Katy would be the perfect type for the occasional pony ride!

Cater speaking of little ones how are you guys adjusting, with the new additional and all?

Comment

Lucky!! My sister is having a baby in March, and it will be my first local niece. I told my mare she has 7 years to shape up and be a kids' pony Otherwise, I may have to take the plunge and start looking for a little farm so that I can get an extra niece pony for her. I love ponies!! Hopefully, she will like horses, but if not, the pony would really be for me anyhow I love little ears and the tiny pony muzzles. I need more! Not that I am a little ahead of myself, or anything. She's due in 3 months

Comment

Well, that settles it.. you just have to get a pony really, there is nothing better than a pony. Sometimes I think I could sell them all as long as I still had Whoasie to adore. I do think when I am old I might like to breed ponies. I just love ponies!

I unfortunately think the age difference between little miss FG and little miss EqT is too tight for us to be able to pass Whoasie down as she is a medium. Had she been a small.. or the girls further apart in age... brilliant!

So we will be looking forward to seeing your pony pics soon

EqT
                      ---

Comment

Awww.... <sniffs suspiciously>

I'm not even all that fond of small humans until they reach a certain age... but HOW COOL is that? <sniff, duck>
                        InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

• Original Poster

EqT, I think Whoasie needs to be a permanent fixture at your place! Didn't I hear a rumor that she drives too??

Pony89 I think your mare is on her way to child-proof status. You've done such a good job with her!

I will admit I have a love of ponies.... when I was 12 and 13 I was a scrappy little rider and got to be the pony jock at our barn. Then I grew 6" and literally cried over the fact that I was too big for my favorite beasts! I still relive my pony days every spring... head out to my friend's camp and hop on one of her stocky ponies and bomb around for awhile!!

My favorite pony... way too bratty for little FG tho!
                          http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...04109739jSRBAO

(Don't ask why I was wearing a Navajo pad...lol... long story!)

Comment

Well done!

My trainer gave me some very good advice when my girls were small and I was wondering whether they were showing interest in the beasties because they wanted to be with me or because they loved it. She told me to hold off on lessons (we already had a pony to play with) until they begged. I guess you can tell just as well when the little one begs to see the beastie

They did beg, and we have loved being able to share the beastie love

It's such a great feeling to know they have that love! Kid #2 has a new horse. Before she knew he was going to belong to her (but I knew) I caught her doing something odd. The horse was in the wash rack and she was grooming him. Suddenly she stopped and did this spastic little dance - her feet sort of prancing in place and her arms flailing a bit. I asked her what she was doing and she said "I just love him so much"! It was a happy dance!! I almost cried
                            Y'all ain't right!

Comment

Tractor supply has small hands brushes. I just put my little pony, who was 30+ down the week before Christmas. I will eventually have another and I've already told BF that future children are an excuse to buy a pony. Ponies are the best!

Comment

"Suddenly she stopped and did this spastic little dance - her feet sort of prancing in place and her arms flailing a bit. I asked her what she was doing and she said "I just love him so much"! It was a happy dance!! I almost cried "

Beastie, that is the cutest story! I did cry a bit! I have seen LMEqT do that, too, and I confess I have done it myself not so long ago when my baby horse sticked 16.1 and looks like he will keep on growing (I have very long legs)...

Flash - DO TELL why you wearing a serape. Really. You owe it to us. I told you (and everyone on COTH) about the pink leopardskin bathrobe I do bedcheck in.. the serape rivals the bathrobe for nightime spookability - necessary for scaring the poop out of any horse who may have been thinking of colicing!
                                ---

Comment

Man... I have to wait for GRANDKIDS, and DD doesn't seem inclined to even DATE right now. I guess that's a good thing?? Oh well, if they don't come along I'm still small enough to get a pony for me in my old age.
                                  Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
                                  Witherun Farm
                                  http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Flash - DO TELL why you wearing a serape. Really. You owe it to us. I told you (and everyone on COTH) about the pink leopardskin bathrobe I do bedcheck in.. the serape rivals the bathrobe for nightime spookability - necessary for scaring the poop out of any horse who may have been thinking of colicing!
                                    Um.... ok I guess since you spilled the bathrobe story.....

When I worked at camp we used to do this thing called "Indian Hoot" (very PC right?) where we'd basically let the kids run lose in the woods. Then a few of us would dress up like Indians, paint our ponies, and gallop around chasing kids....

I don't even remember what the point of the game was. I think it was more fun for the counselors than the kids.... ha ha.

Blondie the Bratty Haflinger was my trusty Indian Hoot steed every year. We used to do it bareback (and even helmetless! ) and then got smart and started using real equipment!!!

But we kept wearing the navajos... they itched.

Comment

Man, I wish I had thought of that!!

When I went through my Indian (Native American) phase, the pony was the only one who really looked the part. I renamed her "Pokaharness" and rode her with just a single hay string through her mouth. We did not ride in the ring - only trails - and usually at breakneck speed. Of course I didn't wear a helmet either

Ah, good times! It's amazing we lived to adulthood

Beastie, that is the cutest story! I did cry a bit! I have seen LMEqT do that, too, and I confess I have done it myself not so long ago when my baby horse sticked 16.1 and looks like he will keep on growing (I have very long legs)...
                                      It was especially touching to me because kid #2 is 15 and usually too cool for such behavior.
                                      Y'all ain't right!

Comment

• Original Poster

Beastie, I bet you've had a great time with your daughters, doing the horse thing. I suppose as horsewomen we all hope that our kids will perhaps take a interest, so when they do it is a tiny bit thrilling....

Funny what you said about the lessons, I was going to take that approach! NO PONIES and NO RIDING until she was older and I knew she really wanted to. But she did her own little "happy dance" down the aisle the other night, and I truly think she is bitten by the horse bug....

Can't complain!!
                                        Last edited by FlashGordon; Jan. 7, 2009, 09:23 PM. Reason: I type too fast!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X