• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Boarding barn prices (Rant)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boarding barn prices (Rant)

I called about a barn today, Nice in-door ring, (no out-door) and nice barn. I got a call back requarding boarding prices and damn near had a heart attack! $1,000 a month! I don't know if anyone else is in shock about boarding rates anymore... I remember when you could get a nice place for 350-400 with a ring and full board. I'm aware hay prices and all have gone up, but really what can you really do for a horse that you charge $1,000 a month?

whoever can afford that for a horse I want their job!

*End rant*

Anyone else feel this way?
    You board with what I call a, sh!t disturber - Patty Lynch

Originally posted by Rebelpaintrider View Post
    I called about a barn today, Nice in-door ring, (no out-door) and nice barn. I got a call back requarding boarding prices and damn near had a heart attack! $1,000 a month! I don't know if anyone else is in shock about boarding rates anymore... I remember when you could get a nice place for 350-400 with a ring and full board. I'm aware hay prices and all have gone up, but really what can you really do for a horse that you charge $1,000 a month?

*End rant*

Did this include training? Or tacking up, etc. That seems insanely high!
    -Tami-

[Paint It Black - "Kiddo"]

Comment

Nothing new about that price if you want a top ranked stable in my home town. Sadly enough .... last place i worked at was $1000 plus another 500 or so for training which you had to have. So $1500 plus it was a garantee that you would be showing on the jumping circuit in alberta so plus all of those fees.

No clue how regular people make it work though.

P.
      A Wandering Albertan - NEW Africa travel blog!

Comment

I think $1k is pretty steep unless you're in NYC or another metro area...

The nicest barn around here to board at is $600. Second nicest (with nice indoor) is $550. Decent barns for $450, and scary barns for $350. No full board cheaper than that.
        Originally posted by barka.lounger
        u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Comment

• Original Poster

She said that they have "packages available" But off the bat that Boarding was $1,000. Yes, this is Chester Co. but I know big show barns aren't that high - maybe one or two but they are HUGE HUGE Barns.

Pretty soon it's going to be cheaper and easier to just buy your own farm and keep your horses at home (But I think every horse person wants their horses in their backyard )
          You board with what I call a, sh!t disturber - Patty Lynch

Comment

There are plenty of nice barns in several different areas of NJ that charge $1000 (or more) a month. No, you don't HAVE to pay that much... I also know of nice farms with excellent care for less than half that, usually smaller places, and further from urban areas, but not always by much.

I think that if you actually need to MAKE money on board, you almost have to charge that much in many places (rather than breaking even, or not making profit because you just like haing the horses around, you board for farmland assessment, you make your money off training or extra services, etc.)

Land is very expensive here, even in my rural corner of the state. Even dry stalls are expensive (last place a friend of mine rented stalls they were $200 per stall per month). Hay is expensive... at least $4/bale. Shavings are expensive... at least $5/bag. Grain is anywhere from $10-18/50#. Figure 3/4 bale of hay per horse per day, 1/2 bag of shavings a day, and a few pounds of grain per day... it adds up fast! At least $200/month in consumables, probably closer to $300 in many cases. Add in cost of stall, mortgage, and/or overhead. Add in labor (an hour per horse per day at $8/hr is $240). I can see how barns end up charging a lot for board! The places that I know of that charge less generally aren't in it for the money, and they're backyard/family places... they built a barn on their own property, so most of the overhead is just an offshoot of their living expenses (and they have non-horse jobs that support the house/family for the most part). Some grow their own hay as well. The board may pay for the arn owner's horses upkeep, but I don't know anyone who's really making a profit this way.

Comment

Lauren, where did you hear that farms can be farm assessed off boarding in NJ??? I have been trying to keep tabs on that going through, by keeping contact with the land use guys... last I heard boarding was not considered farm assessable. Please let me know where you heard that!! It would be so cool to not have to buy and sell in this economy! If I don't make a acceptable profit selling horses next year will loose our farm assessment and our taxes will go through the roof!

Regular board in Sussex Co for nice barn with indoor is $600.00 although there is one barn that has board at $1000.00 but that includes grooming/tack up/etc. (I think!) South of me in Gladstone area $600.00 a month gets you an nice small backyard barn, turnout, and maybe an outdoor ring if your lucky!!
              http://www.windsweptfarmllc.com

Comment

That does sound high even for Chester county but I want to give you a barn owner's view.
                The price of hay, grain and bedding has skyrocketed and in some cases nearly impossible to get. Even though fuel prices have come down, the wood pellet industry is taking all the free or cheap shavings and sawdust and ethanol production is taking the grain.
                If this barn has full time help and 24/7 staffing, you will pay more. Maintaining pastures and a farm is amazingly expensive-ever check out the price of a bag of fertilizer? Electric is going up and is suppossed to skyrocket. Someone needs to pay the water bill as well and that isn't coming down. Taxes on properties can be enormous and you can bet Chester isn't a bargin.
                I am sure the BO in this case as figured out their per horse costs and decided to charge accordingly with the thought if someone can't afford it, they can go elsewhere. More expensive than the norm? yes, sign of the times, also a yes.

Comment

I can think of at least one here in Raleigh who's base board is close to 800.00 per month. And you have to add extra for blanketing, extra hay, small group/individual turnout, trailer parking, etc.

It's a nice farm, but the only thing super nice about it, is the covered arena....the turnout sucks and they feed crap. I think it's HIGHLY overrated... I will say that last I had heard, they had 20 (about 40 stalls total) empty stalls due to the owners board hike in this terrible economy. Then the owner went up AGAIN on the ones who stayed to make up for the 20 empty stalls.

We have better turnout, an indoor arena, nice outdoor arena, and a very laid back atmosphere at the barn I'm at....they feed a better quality feed and aren't as stingy about hay....for 625.00 per month. A much better deal than barn A.

Comment

on the north shore of massachusetts , even backyard barns are around 500-600 and if you want an indoor it is 800-1200 (and many require lessons so add on another 250-300/month...). There are not many barns in the 400 range any more around here so we ended up buying a small horse property and honestly the mortgage is less than board on our 2 horses would be (and if course now we get to do everything our way )

Comment

I can remember a friend in Long Island telling me her board was $1000/month way back 10 years ago when MY upstate NY board was $150/month!

I used to keep my horses on my own property back when I was in my 20's, and have zero desire to do that now in my 40's. Sure, it's cheaper and great for bonding with your horse. BUT, you can't go on vacation easily, YOU must do all the daily work and worse the constant upkeep & repair.

I ride much more often than my BO.

Luckily I pay $250/m, but he's threatening to raise board AGAIN which may send me off, there's plenty of places cheaper....but I like the care they give.

Comment

No one ever seems to factor in the price of RENT (or the mortgage if owned) when figuring board prices. My rent is $7500 per month. I have 22 stalls- you do the math. Then add the labor to staff 365 days per year and insurance, utilities, feed, hay, shavings, repairs, etc, etc, etc. That's how board gets to be upwards of $1000 per month.

That's also why I get so peeved when I read the rants on this board re: BO's and BM's. I read folks urging boarders to move with no notice. Folks want board to be a cheap as possible. BO's cannot afford empty stalls, so every time some jerk boarder leaves under cover of darkness with no notice, it puts a huge dent in the monthly budget.

That's why I have a training barn, not a boarding barn. That's why I require a month's deposit to be paid by my clients- no more leaving without 30 days notice. That's why I vet new clients as thoroughly as they vet me.

OP, ask for a list of amenities and services. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you get for your money. Don't just assume it's a rip-off.
                        http://patchworkfarmga.com

Comment

Actually, in your area, I believe many (if not most) professional barns are $800 - $1000 base board and go up as you get closer to Malvern starting in Ludwig's Corner / Glenmoore. And of course, with an indoor, that can be even higher. Yes, there are some nice facilities that are cheaper, but they are generally full already.

When I got my second horse, I had to move out of the barn I was at w/ an indoor for a private backyard barn in order to afford board for both of them. Now I have my own place and it is the only way I could afford the 4 horses I now have.
                          Stacy Lynne Photography

Comment

Your kidding?

Wow! I need to start boarding horses. We have empty stalls and an indoor ring 15 minutes outside of Washington DC. I had no idea I might be able to charge that much for full care board (the last time I paid board, full care at a barn with an indoor ring was about $325 per month).

Comment

When my daughter lived in Fairfield County CT about 5 years ago, we had to board her horse about 30 miles away over back roads, so about an hour each way -- board was over $1K at most of the places we talked to in Fairfield County. And even where she ended up, the board was $550 with no indoor, but a nice outdoor and miles and miles of trails. Not fancy at all, but great care. I think $600-800 is the going rate around the DC area for a place with an indoor and nice facilities, $400-500 for a smaller "backyard" barn with an outdoor ring, probably more in Fairfax and Montgomery Counties.

Guyot, don't know about other jurisdictions, but here in Prince William County VA, boarding horses does not qualify for "land use"; however, breeding horses does.
                              ~Another proud member of the TrakehNERD clique ~

Comment

Riva, hmmmn, yes, having your own place = the onset of equine collectoritis.
                                ~Another proud member of the TrakehNERD clique ~

Comment

Originally posted by eponina View Post
                                  Wow! I need to start boarding horses. We have empty stalls and an indoor ring 15 minutes outside of Washington DC. I had no idea I might be able to charge that much for full care board (the last time I paid board, full care at a barn with an indoor ring was about $325 per month).
                                  If you have an indoor, a decent facility, offer good care, and are fifteen minutes (!) outside of DC then yes, you could probably get pretty close to that amount.
                                  According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Comment

well, I have a stable in Chester County....

...And I do keep in touch with my other friends who have Boarding Stables. And there is only one place in the Elverson / Morgantown area that I know of that can be that expensive and they really don't like other people at their place so I've known for a fact that on several occaisions if they felt that they weren't going to make big money on you or didn't need your horse in their barn that instead of just telling you "no" they'd give a crazy price knowing that you'd just leave and never be heard of again. Most stables in Chester County are not that expensive and are more than likely to work with you right now cause even the big, big show stables are empty. I've never seen so many boarding ads in the local rags even from the really big ones. So keep searching and you'll find what you need , what'll work for you and your horse.

Comment

I run a barn, we board, I teach and market horses. It is a small barn (8 stalls) and we offer three kinds of board. Our most expensive (marketing board) is $450 which is full board, riding horse 2 - 3 times weekly and marketing services. Ordinary full stall board is $315. We are in eastern NC, east of Raleigh. In Raleigh we would easily be getting double that. I do not "make" money boarding, my lessons and sales have to do that. I am lucky to break even. I would KILL to have an indoor, but if I were to do that the price up board would have to go up dramatically. People who do not run a boarding operation have no idea of the costs. They look at price of hay/grain and that is it. Begin looking deeper, bedding, price of fertilizer for those fields you want your horse turned out on. Seeding for winter/spring grazing, the bermuda grass that we plugged on the entire property a couple years ago. The diesel fuel to run the tractor so that we can fertilize, seed, spread manure, drag the ring a few times per week. The cost of fencing, the cost of the jumps in the ring that we are constantly painting, upgrading, repairing. THe new windows we just put up in the barn. The sand that we keep imporving the arena with. The new tack room we put up in 2008. The TAXES on the property (folks THIS is one of the main reasons that barns in less rural areas are so expensive!), insurance, cost of gas to go to the feed store everyweek and get feed. THe list is nearly ENDLESS. I just think people who rant about baording costs just haven't got a clue and I drn sure am not making ANYTHING for my labor!
                                      www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

Originally posted by Rebelpaintrider View Post

*End rant*

Sounds excessive...

Since I am not too far from you (Lancaster area) I am curious what they are offering. We are presently boarding 3 - full board for less then you say you were quoted for 1. No indoor, but... everything else you could ask for.

You definitely need to shop around.
                                        The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.

Comment

Working...
                                        X