• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Share your horse/riding related New Year's resolutions!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share your horse/riding related New Year's resolutions!

As far as I'm concerned, 2008 sucked. Of course, there were some high points, but the year was packed full of loss and upset, both in the horse world and in my personal life. This is one year that I'm glad to put behind me. It also makes me all the more hopeful that 2009 will be great. Keeping in mind that we have to keep it HR, what are some resolutions that you've come up with to make the new year better, for yourself, your horse, your family, etc...?

I'll start. I've been doing some major slacking in the riding department. It seems like Boomer and I worked our rear ends off to get ready for our event in November, and then when we got home, I said "whew! It's over, time to take a break." Well, that was a month and a half ago, and we're still taking a break. I'd like to get back into serious work, and be ready to do another recognized 3 phase in the Spring. What my real goal, though, is to be trained and ready enough to do it safely, calmly, and actually be competitive; not just praying that he'll slow down Maybe we'll be ready to move up to novice by the end of the year, but if not, that's ok. As long as we're moving forward, then moving up doesn't really matter.

Who else?

I agree that 2008 wasnt all that great. I got my great old horse back in the summer only to have him cross the bridge in September.

I have a new FL filly who is coming along well.

So, my goals are to keep her working 4 to 5 days a week and add small trail ides to our sessions and gradually work towards jumping small obsticals. I want to take her XC schooling in the spring...not to actually jump just to play.

My main goal for the immediate future is to work on our cantering transitions, we seem to be having some trouble with that....continue improving on our trailer loading and standing still in the crossties.

Long term would be lateral work and jumping, maybe some lead changes if the canter transitions improve well enough, and longer trail rides. I would like to be able to take her to some shows to chill out and actually put her in a few classes early next winter.

shes coming 4 and is starting to get that 4 year old attitude, so I need to keep her working! At the same time, I am in no hurry to make her a great horse...we have all the time in the world.

Wow....I have a lot of work to do!!
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Comment

FIND.

A.

NEW.

HORSE!!!!!

My theme song at the moment is "The Waiting Is The Hardest Part"!!!
      "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

WA...there are some REALLY fine looking Finger Lakes horses looking for loverly homes.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I agree with 2008 being sucky all the way around. However, I resolve to make 2009 the year I actually show my TB. Meaning, I need to get over my anxiety whenever I canter her. I know she's not going to do anything like buck me off but she gets going so fast it unnerves me. That has been the biggest stumbling block for me so far. Everyone else who has ridden her just canters her around no problem but I just freeze up and bring her back to the trot. I wish I could find where I left my nerve because I'd really like to find it again. But, I resolve to canter more, and wimp out less.
          Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
            WA...there are some REALLY fine looking Finger Lakes horses looking for loverly homes.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            I know, I know. I'm still grimly clinging to my dream of a nice ASB. I would LOFF to have my last-ever horse be an ASB.
            "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

I am so happy to put 2008 behind me. Our economics changed so the horse activities pretty much came to a screeching halt. The new horse that we had bought DD the end of 2007 just didn't work out. On a positive note DD and I spent alot of time hacking and field galloping all year which was great fun and an excellent confidence builder for her.

So for 2009: I hope DD's new horse is sold quickly - then I'd like to invest in formal training in our young TB she's been riding this past year. He's great and would make her a nice horse - and he was in my backyard the whole time

I hope to get my own TB out to a competition or two.

And even though it's not HR - I hope we are able to sell our house and get our family back together as my husband has been working out of state for almost a year and it's been difficult on everyone. Time to be under one roof again.

Comment

Tmn Trails...I have the EXACT same fear you do...which is not helping our current upward transitions improve!!

Comment

Originally posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
                  Tmn Trails...I have the EXACT same fear you do...which is not helping our current upward transitions improve!!

And the really effed up thing is that I used to event for god's sake! Galloping cross country, jumping large unmoving objects. Wah!
                  Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

It didn't start out great but it ended AWESOME! We have had HUGE accomplishments this year with DD overcoming issues associated with Asperger's...thanks to HORSES! Plus we found an incredible Hippotherapy program to part of and I FINALLY got my very first horse, and a new great little dog too.

I met some fabulous folks here on COTH as well!

The only horse related thing I really want to work on is riding more. I set some major goals for myself (becoming NARHA Certified) and I really wasn't ready this year. 2009 will be my year!
                    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

2008 stank in SO many ways in both personal and horse related.

2009 I start a new job on the 12th that will increase my income, and lessen my stress. I am still attending graduate school..

To keep it HR.

Because of my weight gain I felt very uncomfortable at horse shows in my riding clothes. I showed don't think I didn't but I felt icky. So for my horse, and vanity I am working seriously on losing weight with diet and exercise.
                      OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane - the big dog!
                      Tuggy - RIP 9/12/2016 - Wait for me at the bridge
                      Foster LolaMaria AKA LolaBean (Boxer)

Comment

Yes, I will also be waving a huge goodbye to 2008 with a big smile on my face. It's been a tough year on many levels.

But my HR resolution is to actively volunteer at a local therapeutic riding facility - for 2 reasons - one I need to give more to others and two - if you give a certain number of hours, you can be chosen to help exercise the horses to give them a change of pace; so, I'll get to ride!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!! May it be safe, happy and prosperous for all!
                        ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
                        Originally posted by 2DogsFarm
                        Good job R&G!
                        You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Comment

Originally posted by Mtn trails View Post
                          And the really effed up thing is that I used to event for god's sake! Galloping cross country, jumping large unmoving objects. Wah!
                          Oh, me, too! (not the eventing, I just ride hunt seat in an arena). Glad I'm not the only one. I started riding 6 years ago as an adult as a reward to myself for losing about 40#s. Lost some, then gained again, so I'm at the weight I was when I first started riding. I've really noticed a difference in my riding. Part of it is that I'm just out of shape. Except for riding, I haven't been doing anything physical. So I am resolving to lose at least 25#, I've maintained that weight for a while, and not that long ago, would really like to get down to a size 12 which will probably take 40#.
                          "I love Puika and Giva" fan club member

Comment

Originally posted by Reds-n-Greys View Post
                            Yes, I will also be waving a huge goodbye to 2008 with a big smile on my face. It's been a tough year on many levels.

But my HR resolution is to actively volunteer at a local therapeutic riding facility - for 2 reasons - one I need to give more to others and two - if you give a certain number of hours, you can be chosen to help exercise the horses to give them a change of pace; so, I'll get to ride!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!! May it be safe, happy and prosperous for all!
                            Volunteer...you wont be sorry. It will change your life! My DD volunteers nearly 3-5 days a week and I do a couple too...it's incredible!
                            I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

I have a few:

1. Enter and compete in 1-3 unrecognized Starter or BN events.
                              2. Transfer my horse to my name and take him to at least 1 breed show.
                              3. Take at least 1 lesson/month with my awesome instructor.
                              4. Volunteer at one of the horse rescues around here. I have been talking about it for ages, but this year I will actually do it!

Numbers 1 and 2 will be the hardest as I have severe show nerves. I managed to talk myself out of entering any shows last year and my husband and instructor were ready to kill me. I really want to show, I am just SO nervous about riding in front of other people. Which is why I love XC-- at the lowest level (where I am) no one is watching!!

Comment

I lost a lot in 2008. Aisha crossed the bridge after being my partner for nearly 20 years. I lost the ability to do anything other than work, would go weeks without going to the barn. The four year old turned into what four year olds turn into when they get to do whatever they want, not her fault but not fun either. My last ditch effort to see if I was missing something in our communication failed miserably, and I decided a horse who makes me cry needs another home. One without an emotional train wreck for a mommy.

So, for 2009: get said mare shipped to a trainer who has a busy barn with lots of working students to fawn over the mare, who really does love people. Mare can either be sold/leased or kept as a lesson horse if she's suitable for that. Which I actually think she may be, she's such a social butterfly.

Start taking lessons again. This will be the first time in 20 years I've been horseless. I have a truck, a trailer, saddles and bridles galore, blankets and sheets and coolers and clippers of all sizes, buckets and wheelbarrows and ... you get the picture. But I'm broken inside, so it's time to try fixing me. For several years it was the retiree and the baby, and no riding. I need to find that joy again.

Not really horse-related, but my only other goal is to be able to do 10 dead pull ups.
                                COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
                                  FIND.

A.

NEW.

HORSE!!!!!

Oh but WA.... you do know.... the horse will find YOU.

I'd like Win to stay healthy, (and me too) and get him going W/T under saddle at least. It'd be nice if a decent canter came back, though I suspect that is going to take some work and it may not ever happen.

But no worries, as long as he is healthy and happy, I am happy.
                                  We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

New Year

My resolutions are:
                                    1. Get my feeding program simplified so everyone is happy, healthy, and eating pretty much the same thing.
                                    2. Get my daughter and I both into the show ring at our county fair this year on our own horses.
                                    3. Get my horsehair bracelet business up and running for "real"
                                    4. Get all new tack/replace what needs replacing / discard the crap that is not needed / donate the unused but still useable items to another rescue
                                    5. Ride like I used to when I was not afraid of looking silly/falling off/being too old

What is that expression? Ride like ya stole it? I think I used to ride like that.... LOL
                                    J

Comment

Ride
                                      Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
                                      http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Comment

I agree, 2008 was bad. Hubby health problems, in-law health problems, I'm glad to see it go. Hopefully 2009 will be better for all of us. I'd like to ride more, win the lottery so I can buy a horse, and just enjoy the new year. No sweating the small stuff.
                                        Life is great when you can hug a horse.

Comment

Working...
                                        X