Sport Horse Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boarding woes!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angela Freda, I agree that going to the barn and helping out IS being a team player, but going to the barn and helping out and then "freaking out" over a non-life/health threatening problem definitely isn't.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by dotneko View Post
      Wow - I can't fathom how any BO makes a nickel boarding horses for
      $400 a month. 20 bales of hay X $6 is $120 in hay
      5 bags of grain X $16 is $80
      Bedding is another $60
      So $140 remainder to pay water, labor, electricity, taxes, gas for the tractor, dragging the arena, repairs. That's less than $5 a day.
      I would be asking myself if you were worth the $5 also.

Running short on grain isn't ideal, but it can happen. Hay is another story.
      Then don't do it, I don't know her costs, and she prices her barn at a level that I would assume would be manageable for her. I am not looking for a show barn, just a barn that hays, feeds, waters.
      I am not over here looking for blanketing, clipping, braiding. Just feed, hay, water my horse, as you are pricing that, and I am paying for that. I understand that COTH has higher level riders, and higher incomes, so a $1k a month might be more normal.

I just put $4k into vets bills for my $2k purchase price horse. Apparently some would shoot me here for $400 board, are you freaking kidding me?

Comment

There are two things that struck me as odd about the OP, that NO one else has picked up on.

1) BO says horses never miss two meals in a row. To me, that sounds like a chronic problem. That is penny pinching and poor planning.

2) OP decided to go to the barn & feed? I assume she knows the schedule...but, WTF? Either OP was way early or BO was way late? Cause she got everyone fed ( I assume, hay water, & handfuls of grain) before BO shows up.

That said-my horses at home have been rationed a time or two because I don't have time to drive 30 min one way during the week to get their specialty grain. If the weather is nice, the mill will set it out. However, if the weather is crappy, I don't want it sitting around. I work 9-5:30. The mill is open 8:30-5... I cannot leave surplus grain out side of thick plastic cause I has Rambo mice. My barn dog used to eat them but she is getting old. She would eat a barn cat though...
        We have tried every type of live and kill trap-and the little buggers evade all of them. Can't bait in the barn.
        "The Friesian syndrome... a mix between Black Beauty disease and DQ Butterfly farting ailment." Alibi_18

Comment

• Original Poster

[
          Originally posted by TBROCKS View Post
          How I feel about this is that it was pretty selfish of you to give your horse his whole ration of what I'm assuming is barn feed for ALL the horses, and gave everyone else "a handful". The issue of running out of grain aside, I'd be REAL pissed if I was a boarder and someone came in and made sure their horse got the lion's share of what was left of the grain. You should have split it out equally. And then maybe offered to go grab a bag at the feed store.
          I hear you on that, and I felt awful about it. But at that point, I can't afford a boat load of horses, I have 1, when I leave those horses won't be fed when that issue comes up again, after I have left.

Originally posted by Gloria View Post
          So you freaked out because horses missed one meal and she freaked out because you freaked out? Talk about over-reaction over over-reaction. What's wrong with horse people? Geesh.
          All my calls are being sent to voicemail. FB mesages are ignored. It's fine I am kicked out, I don't want to be somewhere that this is ok.

Originally posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
          Yep! And I tell those kind they're going to be happier elsewhere, giving somebody else cramps. Never known a horse yet to die from missing part or all of one grain feeding. I purposely ran my Senior bin down to nothing this morning, so I can refill it this afternoon with all fresh feed and no old stuff left in the bottom. This is a GOOD thing. Don't always be so quick to ascribe evil motivations to what BO's do--sometimes there is a damn good management reason!
          But it's planned so the new feed is there, it's different. QUOTE=enjoytheride;7853374]I cant belive people think its no big deal for someone to run out of grain, its not like there was an emergency or snow storm or something to cause a one time problem.

[Also, 400 for board locally would get you an indoor, outdoor, stall, and resident trainer.[/QUOTE]

No indoor, or trainer here, but I am not feeding my horse left overs. It's a reasonable amount.

Originally posted by CrowneDragon View Post
          You don't have to be out of grain to clean out what's left in the bin. I always scoop out or pour the dregs of the feed bin into a bucket before dumping the new feed bags in. You can have a pile of new bags waiting to go when you do that, so nothing is missed.
          Even if you use a big hopper the new feed goes on top and the old stuff is getting used first at the bottom.
          Thanks, but I am not an idiot and can notice a feed bad or two.

Originally posted by Gloria View Post
          It's not "no big deal" to run out of grain. It is just not that big of deal to freak out over, especially when it is only one meal. A simple communication to BO, "hey, BO, do you know you ran out of the grain? So I gave everybody a handful - do you want me to pick up some for you?" is sufficient without putting BO instantly in a defensive mode. Seriously, over a missing meal as if it were the end of the world? I am guessing from OP's tone that she had been showing displeasure with this barn so it was just the last straw to push the BO over and asked her to pack up and leave.

I hear you and I agree. I did freak out more than I should have as there was more going on.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yep! And I tell those kind they're going to be happier elsewhere, giving somebody else cramps. Never known a horse yet to die from missing part or all of one grain feeding. I purposely ran my Senior bin down to nothing this morning, so I can refill it this afternoon with all fresh feed and no old stuff left in the bottom. This is a GOOD thing. Don't always be so quick to ascribe evil motivations to what BO's do--sometimes there is a damn good management reason!
            Wouldn't you then feed from the bag? So much of this conversation has been on the price, if I were paying $4k a month, I would be happy wit that. So you buy an extra can, and have a clean one ready to go. Am I really asking that much that my horse is fed?

Comment

• Original Poster

I am stopping, I got to the 2nd page, there's 4 pages. Maybe my budget isn't yours. However I am paying someone to feed my horse, and they are setting that price - so feed my horse.

Good Lord, I am paying $400 a month for that, not $100.

Comment

Originally posted by Vindicated View Post
                There are two things that struck me as odd about the OP, that NO one else has picked up on.

1) BO says horses never miss two meals in a row. To me, that sounds like a chronic problem. That is penny pinching and poor planning.
                Yes I caught that. Not cool.

Originally posted by Vindicated View Post
                2) OP decided to go to the barn & feed? I assume she knows the schedule...but, WTF? Either OP was way early or BO was way late? Cause she got everyone fed ( I assume, hay water, & handfuls of grain) before BO shows up.
                I didn't read it that way. The way I read it she went to help and BO/BM was there also and doing other things as OP was feeding.
                It was an assumption I made.
                Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

Originally posted by Angela Freda View Post
                  I didn't read it that way. The way I read it she went to help and BO/BM was there also and doing other things as OP was feeding.
                  It was an assumption I made.
                  That is how I read it too.

Which makes you think that if the BO even slightly thought the lack of grain would cause an issue with the OP she probably would have given the OP a different job. Maybe the barn owner did not realize they were that low on grain?

Comment

Originally posted by TBROCKS View Post
                    How I feel about this is that it was pretty selfish of you to give your horse his whole ration of what I'm assuming is barn feed for ALL the horses, and gave everyone else "a handful". The issue of running out of grain aside, I'd be REAL pissed if I was a boarder and someone came in and made sure their horse got the lion's share of what was left of the grain. You should have split it out equally. And then maybe offered to go grab a bag at the feed store.
                    Nah. I'd expect a boarder to do that. While the "horseman's solution" is to treat all animals equitably, it's not the boarder's job to do that. And perhaps if more boarders had their horses going without and put pressure on the BO, the OP wouldn't be the squeaky wheel getting kicked out.

I agree, OP, that you had a part in this: You didn't/couldn't pay market rates for your area (always a recipe for bad horse care), and you didn't read the BO right such that you got yourself sent packing.

But I don't think that even a cheap barn needs to keep inadequate grain on hand. It's just not that hard to plan to have it. In other words, the OP was right but could not afford to be, given the fact that other boarders at the $400/month level appear to roll with missed feeds.
                    The armchair saddler
                    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                      That is how I read it too.

Which makes you think that if the BO even slightly thought the lack of grain would cause an issue with the OP she probably would have given the OP a different job. Maybe the barn owner did not realize they were that low on grain?
                      How can you not... unless you hadn't done the feeding recently? Maybe someone has been supplementing feedings from the bin in combo with the BO not doing the feeding and therefore not knowing how low it was.
                      Regardless, it something you need to know, there's not 'good' reason not to.
                      Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

I think the issue is less about whether the OP is right or wrong and more about how the situation was handled. If I went to a barn where my horses were boarded and discovered an issue, I wouldn't "freak out" at the BO/BM. Worst case scenario I'd discuss an option to make the situation temporarily acceptable and then start making arrangements to get the horses moved. For something moderately bad, there are ways to begin a reasonable conversation: "You know, I'm a little concerned about Dobbin missing feedings..." etc.

I think it is pretty reasonably to expect that at a lower end barn there are going to be issues here and there, because they HAVE to be cutting corners somewhere unless they are running a charity for people who want to own horses but can't afford them. Sure, every BO should be crunching their numbers and know what they should be charging to provide the care they say they will, but let me just point out that the result of that is INVARIABLY that board increases.

So, the ideal way to handle a lower end barn is to accept that there are going to be some shortcomings, try to figure out what they are and how you and your horse can safely work around them. You aren't going to change a barn or a BO.

Comment

$400 a month is a lower end barn? Where I board I get a stall, indoor, outdoor, blanket changes, wash rack hot and cold water, hay, grain, bedding, are you ready for $350 a month. It is not a lower end barn. In fact around here the highest board I have found is $450. That's for everything above and more.

Who cares what she pays. If you contract says grain, hay, etc. then you should get that. There is no reason to run out of grain or hay. That's poor planning on the BOs part. You are paying for a service, you should get what you pay for. If the BO can't afford to run the place then raise the board, but don't take it out on the care of the horses.

Comment

Originally posted by Magics Mom View Post
                            $400 a month is a lower end barn? Where I board I get a stall, indoor, outdoor, blanket changes, wash rack hot and cold water, hay, grain, bedding, are you ready for $350 a month. It is not a lower end barn. In fact around here the highest board I have found is $450. That's for everything above and more.
                            I am not sure why this has to be said time and time again but it does not matter what average board is in your part of the world and what you can get for $400. The OP says that $400 is low end board in her area. Should we assume the OP is not being honest about that being low end board in her area or just go with the fact that some parts of the country are much cheaper than other parts?

Originally posted by Magics Mom View Post
                            Who cares what she pays. If you contract says grain, hay, etc. then you should get that. There is no reason to run out of grain or hay. That's poor planning on the BOs part. You are paying for a service, you should get what you pay for. If the BO can't afford to run the place then raise the board, but don't take it out on the care of the horses.
                            Well yes. You are right. But then the OP can not afford the board there and will be in the same boat but her bitch will be that the board went up and she can no longer afford it.

When you are shopping in the lower end of the boarding market you know up front that you are giving up something. Horse owner's job is to do what McGurk said, determine what that something is at each place and decide what is most important for you.
                            Some people that is footing. Some people it is knowing that if they do not show up for a week their horse will still be cleaned and everything is just right, etc.

Comment

My company is paying me big buck for working here. Does that mean I'm not allowed to make mistakes? I guarantee you, I make more money than a BO does, and if everything is expected to be perfect and no hiccup, I will tell you that half of the most valuable employees here will be kicked out long ago. We all make mistakes. Things happen. The important thing is, how do you deal with it when issues do occur. Do you try to work with the parties involved, and fix the issues, or do you jump over the deep end? If the same issue occurs over and over, then, fire the offending party; but not before.

So don't say that the contract says grain, and if the BO misses a meal, that she breaks the contract. Yes, she broke the contract, but let me ask you this question, under some unexpected financial duress, do you want to be able to talk to your BO, and ask for a grace period for board? Remember, "you" break the contract when you are unable to pay on the specified date. If your horse suffers some catastrophic injury, and you need someone to go far and beyond what the contract spells out to assist you, do you want your BO to step up and give you a hand? There is nothing in the contract that says the BO must be nice to you. This is a small world. Try to be considerate of each other, and everybody will be happier.

Comment

Great post, Gloria! You make some great points.

Comment

Originally posted by BeeHoney View Post

I think it is pretty reasonably to expect that at a lower end barn there are going to be issues here and there, because they HAVE to be cutting corners somewhere unless they are running a charity for people who want to own horses but can't afford them. Sure, every BO should be crunching their numbers and know what they should be charging to provide the care they say they will, but let me just point out that the result of that is INVARIABLY that board increases.
                                  This has happened at my barn, but wasn't really planned that way & the BO cannot afford it. He always wants to help someone keep a horse & is sort of, finally, comprehending that outside of his Amish world, HORSES ARE A LUXURY. He's been short on feed a few times over the years because he's just too nice.

He has finally crunched numbers, and as predicted above, is increasing his board. He's also sent letters (Ok, it was his wife ) giving a couple boarders notice that he may sell their horse(s) if they don't pay up. The couple of us who have paid regularly were exempted from it. After all, we've been paying for everyone else's horse already; about time the deadbeats* subsidized us.

*Yay! At least one of them is moving out due to the board increase!
                                  Visit my Spoonflower shop

Comment

I purposely ran my Senior bin down to nothing this morning, so I can refill it this afternoon with all fresh feed and no old stuff left in the bottom. This is a GOOD thing.
                                    But did you not feed some boarded horses so you could clean out your grain bin?

Comment

Originally posted by Crash Helmet View Post
                                      But did you not feed some boarded horses so you could clean out your grain bin?
                                      Everybody got their full ration of Hay Stretcher but were a tad shy by maybe half a quart on their Triple Crown for just one meal. Will it spring a leak in the bilges of hell? Since they also had 20# of hay per each, I think not. I knew I had only enough to just about make breakfast, but the bin was refilled by lunch as planned.

My point was, that if a boarder came in, saw the bin empty, and got sufficiently confrontational about it, I'd give her the gate too. People always trying to catch you out, to find fault, are very uncomfortable to have around. Some of them almost seem to be trying to find a reason to be unhappy. Case in point:

Last year I had one lady who always came to groom her horse around noon. It happens that the horses' "lunch" hour, around 1:30, is when I fill my water tanks because in the winter, that's the warmest time of the day. Well, this client ALWAYS made a point of telling me the tubs were nearly empty, in a particularly passive-aggressive way. And kept it up long AFTER I explained that she was there at the hour before I fill them, and that at NO time were the tubs EVER going to be empty. Finally I said, "Ma'am, your horse has never been without fresh, clean water for even a moment in the five months he's been here. But if you're not happy here, there are a lot of other barns around you might want to investigate." Never heard another peep, but I always had the feeling she was just waiting to find something . . . and I knew darn well the barn she was comparing mine to charges 4x my price.

The bottom line really IS that if you're not happy with any aspect of the care or management or facility, LEAVE. It's a free country! Vote with your checkbook, and inadequate operators will be weeded out of the business. But just remember that the tables of perfectionism can be turned on boarders, too!

Comment

I just want to know where in SE PA she found full board for $400 a month.....

Comment

I think some of the difficulty is that you don't always know what happens when you're not there. I've heard BOs say to give shavings to certain horses and not others when they were running short. I wish you well.

Comment

Working...
                                          X