Sport Horse Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boarding woes!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running out of grain isn't ideal, but it isn't the end of the world, either. If I were paying for lower end board I would probably tend to be more understanding about it assuming that other aspects of care were satisfactory. Realistically, a horse isn't going to come to any harm for missing a grain meal. Issues with hay and water are more serious. Yes, it's true that if someone accepts money for a service they ought to provide it. However, most lower end barns make the numbers work out by skimping on staffing (which is incredibly expensive). If you have a busy BO who works another job and not enough on-site staff there are going to be periodic glitches. I think the OP's boarding dollar would go a lot further if she could find a way to be a team player at a barn that is respectable but not perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by BeeHoney View Post
      Running out of grain isn't ideal, but it isn't the end of the world, either. If I were paying for lower end board I would probably tend to be more understanding about it assuming that other aspects of care were satisfactory. Realistically, a horse isn't going to come to any harm for missing a grain meal. Issues with hay and water are more serious. Yes, it's true that if someone accepts money for a service they ought to provide it. However, most lower end barns make the numbers work out by skimping on staffing (which is incredibly expensive).
      This being true...

Originally posted by BeeHoney View Post
      If you have a busy BO who works another job and not enough on-site staff there are going to be periodic glitches. I think the OP's boarding dollar would go a lot further if she could find a way to be a team player at a barn that is respectable but not perfect.
      Seems to me that the OP WAS being a team player by...

Originally posted by AlexS View Post

Went to my barn the other morning to help out with chores, as I didn't have anything going on and felt home bound.
      No?
      Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

I personally think that if you can't afford the more expensive barns, you need to seek ways to make the barns you can afford work for you. In this case, is there anything you could have done to make it work for you? Could you have supplied your own grain? Could you keep a bag of the barn's grain and have the staff call you if there was an issue with them not having enough grain so that you could run your horse's regular meal over?
        I agree that if a barn is representing itself as feeding grain twice a day, then that's what it should do. I don't have anything against a barn raising prices or changing services, but everything should be upfront so that customers know what they're getting. However, a horse eating a little less grain for one meal is not as dangerous as a horse going into a field with bad fencing, or not getting water, or running out of hay, or having its feed changed suddenly. If you can afford the barn and it's reasonably safe for your horse, I would work around issues like running out of grain. I agree that it is less than ideal, but there are ways to work around it.
        If it was the barn grain, then I don't agree with giving your horse the full serving and other people's horses less. They are boarders just like you are a boarder. All of the horses should have been cut back equally. If it were your own bag of grain that you maintained for emergencies, then I'd feel differently about that.

Comment

Oh geez, it never ceases to amaze me how the people on these boards can argue with anything anybody says. If you were the BM/BO they would have trashed you equally. I have been in your position - BO ran out of grain, hay and shavings on a regular basis, not usually on the same day. I was pissed. Finally got sick of it and left. You pay for it, you're entitled to it. What if you rented a hotel room that included brerakfast and they just ran out of food? Same thing.

Comment

I think if the BM had said "I was scheduled to have feed on Monday but the delivery service had problems with the weather and didn't deliver, they told me it was coming this morning but it didn't come then and by the time they let me know the local feed store was closed. Boy howdy am I pissed and so sorry the horses have to go short." I'd be a lot happier.

Even if the OP did freak, an apology and a good explanation of what went wrong and how it isn't going to happen again would have gone a long way.

My barn recently ran out of hay. Totally. The people who were bringing hay kept saying they were bringing hay last week, this Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, then when the BM called for the 10th time they said they never intended to bring hay in the first place. We borrowed a few bales from a local barn, I contacted someone to deliver hay, etc.

It wasn't a big deal because I knew my BM was doing everything in her power to get hay and getting nowhere.

Is my horse going to drop dead if he misses his grain? No. Is it my job to make sure there is grain? No, but I can always offer to help if I want. Do I want an explanation that makes more sense than "well they've never missed more than two days in a row....." YES.
            http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hmmm... This is kinda interesting. My board averages between $625 and $640 a month, stall with paddock, covered arena, three feeds of hay a day. This also includes a monthly parking fee for my trailer. It varies because BOs worm every eight weeks and that charge is added to my bill. My horse gets no grain (He's part Arab and as a result, would be an airfern except he's 16.2 - i.e., bigger than your average Arab, so he needs his food, but he's not a hard keeper). However, my previous horse did get grained. Grain is not included in my board, but when I want it fed, I leave a bucket with feed and/or meds, and BO feeds it at no charge. So figure another $40-50 a month out of my pocket for grain and/or extra pellets. Nowhere near $1,000 and I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area where board ain't cheap.

Comment

As others have said, it comes down to just how far from your standards of perfection you're willing to stray for the price you can afford to pay. The things that matter most are fresh water at all times, good quality hay, and safe fences and stables or run-in sheds.

Everything ELSE comes down to matters of preference and differing needs--both yours and the BO's. This can range from the basic to the totally ridiculous. Since the OP's equation seems to be "My way or the highway," my best advice would be to try and find a co-op barn where you are responsible for both procurements and your own horse's care, paying only for use of the real estate.

Failing that, start saving up for your OWN backyard barn because frankly some people will NEVER be happy with anything else, no matter how assiduous the care.

Comment

I have been at some really great barns, some not so great and some really crappy.

If the barn didn't ran out of grain once? I don't think I would be upset. Stuff happens. But if it continued to happen on a regular basis? I would be upset. I expect my horse to get what I am paying for.

The barn that I am at now is great and the one before that was great as well (we moved out of state so had to find a new barn).
                  "No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."
                  -Dead Poets Society

Comment

Can I just give you the flip side view? We board 6-8 horses at a time (we are private). $475 for full care, including indoor, outdoor, trails, hay/grain 4x a day...you get the idea. Basically, we are taking care of our own and board a few to offset the costs. We've had four boarders here for 7 years due to our care.

Had two boarders give notice this month. One is moving 8 minutes closer to home in order to save $25/month but wants to come back if it doesn't work because she is concerned about a variety of things (not enough turnout, hay only twice a day, horses stalled 20 hours a day, etc.) but she wants to "try it".

The other is paying $75 more a month where she is going with her arthritic gelding who HATES to be stalled (he craps in water bucket and then pulls it off of wall and his stifles actually catch and he has to stop when you lead him out of stall if he's in more than a few hours). He will be stalled 18-20 hours a day where he is going. Why is she going there? Because she is "bored and hopes being with her friend will spark her interest in riding again". (She comes twice a month and has declined all offers to ride with her, take lessons, go trail riding, etc. due to her various other interests).

Sorry, just had to vent because sometimes BOs get frustrated too...we offer quality facilities and care and yet it isn't always valued. So, there you have it...the "other side of the story".

Comment

Originally posted by alterreasons View Post
                      Can I just give you the flip side view? We board 6-8 horses at a time (we are private). $475 for full care, including indoor, outdoor, trails, hay/grain 4x a day...you get the idea. Basically, we are taking care of our own and board a few to offset the costs. We've had four boarders here for 7 years due to our care.

Had two boarders give notice this month. One is moving 8 minutes closer to home in order to save $25/month but wants to come back if it doesn't work because she is concerned about a variety of things (not enough turnout, hay only twice a day, horses stalled 20 hours a day, etc.) but she wants to "try it".

The other is paying $75 more a month where she is going with her arthritic gelding who HATES to be stalled (he craps in water bucket and then pulls it off of wall and his stifles actually catch and he has to stop when you lead him out of stall if he's in more than a few hours). He will be stalled 18-20 hours a day where he is going. Why is she going there? Because she is "bored and hopes being with her friend will spark her interest in riding again". (She comes twice a month and has declined all offers to ride with her, take lessons, go trail riding, etc. due to her various other interests).

Sorry, just had to vent because sometimes BOs get frustrated too...we offer quality facilities and care and yet it isn't always valued. So, there you have it...the "other side of the story".
                      You will NEVER make 100% of the people happy, 100% of the time. That's because a certain percentage either don't know when they're well-off, can't make up their minds what they want, don't know any better or are easily led by others.
                      Let the gate hit 'em in the arse and put a well-worded ad up at the tack store!

Comment

IME, the difference between $400 board and $1000 board (or even $600 board) is staffing.

Is the BO the only person really managing the place? Is she trying to fix fences, and drag the arena, and care for the injured horse(s), and get bills paid, and meet with the farrier and... and... and...

Moving up the price bracket allows for more staff which allows the BM to truly manage, including keeping inventory in stock.

Are you right to leave? Sure! But if you're staying in that lower end, you need to do some real soul searching about what you're able to compromise on. And remember, boarding is usually a losing operation financially for most barns, so keep that in mind when you approach your future BO/BM with problems. They are keeping prices low to help fund your horse habit.
                        Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

THIS ! I agree with IndysMom ~

I agree with IndysMom !

BO demonstrated incompetent planning skills as well as extremely poor customer relation skills ~ IMHO

** OP ~ I hope you are able to move quickly and without further confrontation from this rude BO...

Enjoy the Holidays at your new barn !

Best Wishes for a Great 2015 for you and your horse ~

Originally posted by IndysMom View Post
                          Wow. I'm amazed at the replies (although I probably shouldn't be). IMO, if I'm paying for service I better darn.well.get.that.service. I don't care if it's a $400 service or a $1000 service!

Sorry, BO/BM, you are running a business and providing a service and you need to do it right. Running out of feed constitutes a breach of contract and POOR CARE. And, certainly speaks to lack of planning.
                          Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Aww, don't feel bad, it's best to leave situations like that anyhow. I once got "kicked out" of a gross barn for saying the port-a-potty was gross...the guy had it cleaned twice a year- Jan and Jul...yuck!!!!! He only cleaned stalls every other day, didn't make people pick up horse poop, and fed oats that mice had been in. Yeah, best thing that ever happened was getting kicked outta there! Haven't read all posts, but hope you find a good place soon. Look hard and ask around at local feed, tack and Tractor Supply type stores.

Comment

I confess that I ran out of alfalfa pellets just two weeks ago.
                              I was away on vacation, brought in 40 bags of grain for the time
                              I was away. Boarder decided in the mean time to change her 2 horses
                              from 6 quarts of Hay stretcher to alfalfa pellets. Since our grain room
                              has a finite size, I only factored in one bags of excess per grain. Her
                              changes ate up my margin of error (if you pardon the pun). There was actually
                              one whole meal where there was no alfalfa pellets. Nobody died, nobody coliced,
                              and nobody starved. Assistant rightly decided it was not a big enough deal that
                              one meal was supplemented with hay stretcher rather than alfalfa and we could wait for our normal grain store day.
                              www.settlementfarm.us

Comment

WTH is wrong with those two? They don't know how lucky they are to find full care for $475 let along a barn with an indoor and access to trails, plus 4 feedings per day. In my area that would cost anywhere from 50% to 100% more.

Comment

Originally posted by TWH Girl View Post
                                  Aww, don't feel bad, it's best to leave situations like that anyhow. I once got "kicked out" of a gross barn for saying the port-a-potty was gross...the guy had it cleaned twice a year- Jan and Jul...yuck!!!!! He only cleaned stalls every other day, didn't make people pick up horse poop, and fed oats that mice had been in. Yeah, best thing that ever happened was getting kicked outta there! Haven't read all posts, but hope you find a good place soon. Look hard and ask around at local feed, tack and Tractor Supply type stores.
                                  I once boarded at a farm that cost more than $800/month and the owner was, by their own admission, "very OCD" about cleanliness in the barn. The place was neat, but the porta-potty was was @#$@#$@ disgusting. There were a couple of times during the summer where the stench was so bad that I opened the door and had to shut it immediately. Of course the BO wasn't going to get OCD about that because she never had to use the porta potty She'd just go in the house of course. I found it kind of ironic how OCD she was about everything except that and it made the rest of us sick.

Comment

The other is paying $75 more a month where she is going with her arthritic gelding who HATES to be stalled (he craps in water bucket and then pulls it off of wall and his stifles actually catch and he has to stop when you lead him out of stall if he's in more than a few hours).
                                    Totally off-topic, but I wonder if he sits on his water buckets because his stifles are sore, and that's why he ends up pooping in them.
                                    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Comment

Here's another one:

How about a BO who thinks it is ok to put a space heater unattended in the barn bathroom and leave it on 24/7? This was an old style kind with exposed heating coils.

Comment

Originally posted by onthebit View Post
                                        I've been a barn owner for 10 years and never run out of grain or hay ever. Not one, single time. I would see that as a pretty egregious error on the BO/BM's part. That being said it might be that they ran out because they are having to run things so tightly. Yes they set their board rate, but since you clearly say the places with good, reliable care cost more clearly they aren't charging enough to cover their costs for that area.

I still think they shouldn't have run out of feed regardless of what they charge and I would be unhappy about that. If that is included in your board rate as outlined by your contract then they need to do what they said they would do. But mostly I would be doing my best to find room in my budget to go to one of the barns that you know has better and more consistent care.
                                        I have my horses at home and also have had a boarder or two over the past nine years and never once have I run out grain (or hay). If you buy on a regular schedule it isn't likely to happen. I also think that missing a meal of grain isn't going to harm a horse.

Comment

I have not read all the post so just going by the first 7 posts.

I ran a breeding/training/boarding barn for 15 yrs. Most of the time I had 22 horses at the farm. All horses where outside, stall where only used when was needed. I never ran out of feed be it grain or hay and I had owners that supplied there own grain. I made sure they knew that I need grain for there horse 2 weeks out so there was never any problems. If you are boarding horses you should always have hay, grain and water at all times and you should be feeding what you and the HO have agreed upon in your boarding contract. If you can't do this then you shouldn't be boarding horses.
                                          My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Comment

Working...
                                          X