• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Does a horse NEED a job?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a horse NEED a job?

I was reading another thread on here and it got me thinking, does it make horses happier to have a job?
    I got a new job about 6 months ago and it has taken a toll on my riding time. I sold one horse and kept the other one. However I haven't ridden her in about 3 months. She is not a huge canidate for sale, she is an ottb, she has some old injuries that make her unsuitable for bigger jumps, and although she has come a long way(when I got her off the track the exercise riders told me she was hard to steer), I still wouldn't call her a beginners horse. Still though she can sit in a pasture for 3 months and I can go out and ride her and she doesn't try and kill me.
    I have noticed a shift in her attitude in the past 6 months though. She really does seem to like being ridden. Her ears would always be up and she loves trail riding. Kinda like a big dog, "hey mom where we going?" and wrap her legs for a trailer ride and she will just about drag you on the trailer, "we're going on a car ride, we're going on a car ride " So now she sits, and in the past 2 months she has had minor injuries that has the barn owner giving her more attention (abcess and a skin infection) which my SO swears she is just doing it for the attention.
    Financially speaking she can sit in the pasture and get boo boos and it will not cause me to eat ramen noodles, but I almost feel bad seeing the change in her.
    So do you think a horse needs a job?
    www.michelesfindinghappiness.com

I think many horses enjoy the attention. Whether you are riding/longeing/handwalking. I don't think it is a particular "job", but just the interaction to break up their day.

Comment

I sincerely believe that a horse does need a job, even if its just to carry you around on a trail ride once a week. Horses need a sense of social identity and importance.

The job of a horse in the wild is to assist in the survival of the herd, whether that is as the alpha mare who keeps everyone in line, enabling the herd's survival, or that of a horse lower in the pecking order to obey the alpha mare. They know they have an important part of the herd's social identity.

When we place a horse in a domestic situation, where the herd dynamics of survival are not an issue, they lose their purpose as an important part of the herd society. Having a job, which requires partnership, either with a human or other horses (ie. a pulling, or driving team), gives them back their much needed sense of herd identity and purpose.
      Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
      Witherun Farm
      http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

In my experience, horses run pretty much the same gamut as humans, some are workaholics, some are content to be pasture or couch potatoes, and most are somewhere in between. I had one that was majorly depressed when I retired him at 26 owing to bum knees, another more recently who said 'what, this whole field for me and these few others? Thanks, seeyalater.' I had an old mare, semi-retired for the last 15 years of her life, who was content with her lot but did always brighten when given an assignment, even if it was to just be groomed.

Comment

You horse sounds a lot like my OTTB. When we got him, he had been off for 6-7 months and really seemed to like working with my DW. After we got our second horse (much bolder than the ottb), the focus shifted to the new horse and the OTTB didn't get the work that he used to. He still got groomed and taken care of but not ridden.

I wondered if he missed the work and I started learning to ride (oh him!). Within just a couple of days of work he was a much happier horse. I can tell right now that he's a little grumpy b/c I've not been riding.... This cycle has gone on for several years now. When I don't have time to ride him, he gets grumpy...
          www.foxwoodfarms.biz
          "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
          -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
          http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

Comment

I think they all need some kind of a job. If nothing else, keeping them in some sort of exercise program is good for their health. As someone who owns way too many horses (16), I can tell you that giving everyone a job is time consuming, but it can be done.
            Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
            http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
              I think many horses enjoy the attention. Whether you are riding/longeing/handwalking. I don't think it is a particular "job", but just the interaction to break up their day.
              Yep. some of them don't care and would rather do horsey things but by and large they enjoy interacting with us, that is why they were able to be domesticated at all.
              Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
              Incredible Invisible

Comment

Originally posted by Beverley View Post
                In my experience, horses run pretty much the same gamut as humans, some are workaholics, some are content to be pasture or couch potatoes, and most are somewhere in between. I had one that was majorly depressed when I retired him at 26 owing to bum knees, another more recently who said 'what, this whole field for me and these few others? Thanks, seeyalater.' I had an old mare, semi-retired for the last 15 years of her life, who was content with her lot but did always brighten when given an assignment, even if it was to just be groomed.
                Right, it depends on the horse.
                I have one now that needs a job or he will invent one, like cutting another horse off the group and spending all day herding that one around and keeping the others away.

The other horses don't care, they are happy standing around, grazing or napping on their sand pile.

All of them become alert if it looks like they will get to go in the barn or to work and if they don't, they stand by the fence looking longingly at the ones that get to go.

If you have a horse that needs a job and you don't have one for that horse, it is best you find one, for all's peace of mind.

My busybody horse is back in training and the one he choose to play keep away with is now back happy as a lazy pasture ornament, without someone watching over him quite so much.

Comment

I definately believe my two geldings have a work ethic and feel better when they are doing something. They each have a stall with an attached paddock and share a fenceline. I haven't ridden in the last 2 months for a variety of reasons and I've started to really notice a change in them. They both just seem almost "depressed" (I hate to attach human emotions to an animal) but that's the only way I can describe it. I think there might be a touch of boredom in there too.

The QH looks at me like "when are you going to take me out on the trails, mom???" and the OTTB is due to injure himself soon just to get that extra special attention.

To the original poster, I am almost thoroughly convinced my OTTB injures himself when he feels he isn't getting enough time with me. He's coming about due now ;+)

Comment

I believe that it depends on the horse. I have two pasture pet mares who could care less if they do anything but eat, sleep and poop although they sure do enjoy being brushed once in a while. Now I have another horse who is a reining horse and has been trained and shown all his life (he is 17 years old) and he would be miserable not being ridden and competing. He loves his job and it shows in the 110% effort that he gives at every ride or competition. I have yet another horse that hates being ridden but enjoys being worked on the ground and truly enjoys human companionship..........he craves it. He would not be happy with a riding job but would be unhappy being a pasture pet. All horses are individuals just like people and should be treated as individuals IMO.
                    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
                    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
                    RIP San Lena Peppy
                    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Beverley View Post
                      In my experience, horses run pretty much the same gamut as humans, some are workaholics, some are content to be pasture or couch potatoes, and most are somewhere in between.
                      Agreed.

Comment

• Original Poster

Riderless horse

Sounds like maybe I should put this girl on the horseless rider/riderless horse thread. I may be able to afford for her to hurt herself once a month for the attention, but I don't need the stress

Has anyone had success with that thread?
                        www.michelesfindinghappiness.com

Comment

Hay

My horse truly enjoys the job of moving his jaws from right to left all the whilst stuffed with hay.

I've been laid up alot this year physically and I think my horse really misses the attention. He is fairly lazy and would do with out the riding but he loves the grooming...
                          Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
                          One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
                          Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Comment

I know of an OTTB who's owner trained him rather hard for jumpers, but then slacked off and showed up one day saying he'd given the horse away. He then took all his tack away. However, no one has come to pick up the horse. He's young and you can just see he's sort of lost with no one to come and give him a job to do.

Comment

While not every horse NEEDS a job, a lot do seem happier with something other than standing in the field. We have a retired event horse (some pasture injuries have put him permanently on the bench) that is perfectly happy to sit in the field. He really could even care less about getting a daily snuggle. He LIKES being left alone, as long as he's got plenty to eat and some company.

My retired guy, though, while he's finally settled into retired life (probably because he is no longer with me, watching me deal with other horses), would probably be just as happy back in work. He always liked doing something, even if it was just a daily hack around the property.

My coming 5 year old got a well deserved, long vacation from the middle of October until this week. He was doing ok with it, until about a week/10 days ago. I noticed, even with daily attention, that he was getting kinda blue and gloomy looking, moping around and just kinda sad looking. I've now ridden him twice, and you would have thought I'd given him a new lease on life...he is SO happy.

We have another horse who gets down right nasty if he's not in a good amount of work, and stays fairly pleasant when he is in work.

I also see a lot of horses really seem, for a lack of a better word, PROUD when they know they've done a good job or figured something hard out.

They are personable creatures and they really seem to like a good routine and something to keep them mentally stimulated and challenged...at least MOST do.
                              Amanda

Comment

I agree that it depends on the horse. All those that I've had here have needed *something* to do except the 30+ retiree who I had for 2 years before he died. He definitely did NOT need, nor want, a job. He was retired. (Didn't you get the memo?) He was rideable until nearly the end, and he was pretty tolerant of being ridden (e.g. walked around), but make no mistake....he wanted to stand in the pasture and stuff his face with grass. Don't pet me, don't groom me, just leave me alone.

From what I knew of him, and the owners who knew his history for most of his life...he was a pretty friendly and hard-working horse. But when he came to my pasture....that was it. He was done.

Comment

I agree that it varies from horse to horse. My (much beloved ) mare would prefer to have nothing else to do but eat. I think she secretly longs for the life of a broodmare She is a big hussy and loves the babies that were born on at the barn last year. She does like the grooming and attention but will try to leave if you are not paying attention when the tack comes out. She ground ties beautifully until you pull out the saddle

On the other hand, my 23 yr old has blossumed since coming out of retirement. He looks younger and has become the barn favorite. If his own girl isn't available, there is no shortage of people volunteering to exercise him and he loves it.

And I ride another one that is like your mare. If he isn't worked or given attention, he gets himself into trouble that requires attention Maybe see if you can bribe a kid at the barn to groom her or lightly lunge her to make her feel more loved

Comment

IME, TBs especially like to work. They have a work ethic and enjoy being useful.

Comment

Don't pet me, don't groom me, just leave me alone.
                                      haha! This pretty much sounds like our retired guy. He hated being groomed when he was sound and working, and he was always kinda shy and stand offish. Now, snuggles and pets are ONLY on his terms, and that is rare. Thankfully, he is still a gentleman and will let you catch him, etc, but he wants nothing to do with all the touchy-feely crap.
                                      Amanda

Comment

While there are some that would just as soon be "kinetic field art" than work, I do think most prefer having some 'job'

My old guy hated retirement (at 35) so we ended up bringing him back as a driving horse. He loved going out and doing things and hated being 'back burnered'.

On the other hand we did run into one horse that they kept trying to find SOMETHING she would enjoy doing... trail riding, ring work, hunting and on and on. Finally they decided field 'art' was her thing. At least they didn't breed her so she'd be useful.

Comment

Working...
                                        X