• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Did you get a horse for Christmas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you get a horse for Christmas?

Tell us about it

Lease with a jumper/eq horse. First lease ever. First legitimate show horse. First partner. I'm excited.
    www.justworldinternational.org

Comment

This christmas? No.

But when I was a kid my dad wrapped up my first horses papers and put them under the tree. He made me wait to open it until the very last present. I was kind of confused b/c all of my other gifts were very horsey which was kind of uncommon at the time (blankets, a new bridle, etc). I knocked him over hugging him when I opened it. We have it all on tape. It was a huge surprise since I knew the mare had sold and was heartbroken over it, I was dreading xmas b/c I knew her new owners were moving her on the first...had no clue I was her new owner. It's amazing everyone kept the secret from me for a whole month!

Comment

Yep, much to my surprise, I'm giving myself a horse for Christmas. Two weeks ago, I would have told you you were nuts for suggesting it might happen. All my horsey plans for 2009 set, finished, looking good, but no more extras planned. Then my trainer called me . . .

She is 10 years old. Trakehner by Troy out of a TB mare. Has had one premium Oldenburg foal. Really needed placing now, VERY motivated sellers, without which this wouldn't be possible. She is going about second level, incredibly balanced canter, already has her changes. She is a workaholic and a perfectionist. She will be very good for me to get me back into the swing of riding after 18 months of injury-then-family layoff. But the true deal clencher was that she reminds me of my grand old Pregelstrand mare, my first Trakehner, the horse I enjoyed riding the most of them so far and who taught me so incredibly much. Although this girl, unlike that one, is only 10 and has NO physical issues whatsoever. Barn name is Pixie, which is nothing at all like her registered name, but I have no doubt she has thoroughly earned it.

I have never before in my life, self-given or otherwise, gotten a horse for Christmas.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...traks/Mare.jpg

(Ignore the less than spectacular frontward setup of this shot. It's the best still shot they sent of her.)

Comment

Oh Yes I did, let me tell you the story It could get a little long, but I just love telling the story especially to other horsie friends.

Back in 1988 I got involved in 4-H from one of my friends suggestions. I was an absolute horse crazy girl, I lived and breathed horses but my family had never owned a single horse. I used to sneak out to my neighbors pony and ride it bareback all the time without anyone knowing, I was 11 at that time.

As I got involved in 4-H I was lucky enough to have a great 4-H Horse leader in my club. They owned a great Arabian breeding farm and had quite a few horses that they leased out to the 4-Hers in my club for our 4-H projects. That year I was blessed to be able to lease a great mare name Firelove. To me she was the best horse in the whole wide world.

Summer came and went our county fair had passed by and I had the best time with that mare. I wanted to be able to lease her again the next year, so that fall I asked the family if it would be ok for me to lease Firelove again next year. As I saw their faces I realized something was wrong, they turned to me and said oh honey I am sorry we sold Firelove a few weeks ago, her new owners will be coming to get her soon. But don't worry we sold her to a wonderful family and I am sure you would be able to visit her from time to time.

I was completely devastated, I cried and cried and cried, I asked my mother, why couldn't we have bought her, you knew how much I loved her. My poor mother was trying to comfort me and explain to me that we just didn't have the money to buy a horse right now, but don't worry you can just lease another horse next year. And of course I turned to her and said no horse will ever be Firelove. What a stinker I was

Now fast forward to Christmas morning that year, my mother comes into my bedroom to wake me up and she sits on my bed and says, I know you really wanted a horse for Christmas, but money was just tight and I promise this summer we will look for a horse for you. I was jumping for joy, my mother for the first time said that I would be getting a horse sometime. Right there I thought that was the best present ever.

Christmas morning goes on as usual family is over,presents are opened, all a good time. Then the phone rings, my mother answers the telephone and says its for me. I take the call, its our neighbor calling, he tells me his cattle are out and was wondering if I could come and help him get them in. I said of course, he tells me meet me in the barn. I proceed to get my boots and coat on, not realizing my family is somewhat excited and trying to act like nothing is going on.

I trudge through the yard over to my neighbors barn and proceed to walk down the aisle way. My neighbor puts his arm around me and continues to walk with me, he asks so did you get all that you wanted for Christmas this year, I said oh yes indeed! My mom told me she is going to let me get a horse this year, he says oh really. As we walk down the aisle I see a huge red ribbon hanging on a stall door with a sign that says Merry Christmas Colleen. But I cant see anything inside the stall. I start running towards the stall and all of sudden a horses head pops up. It appeared to be Firelove but I wasn't quite sure, I open the door and then see all her markings and scream in delight and of course just start bawling. My entire family came running into the barn with cameras flashing, it was great

I no longer have Firelove I sold her to a good friend of the family, but the greatest thing was when my mother had bought her, she was accidentally bred that fall so the next fall we had a wonderful surprise gelding born from her and I still have him to this day.

I hope I didn't sound like to much of a spoiled brat I usually don't tell this story to non horsie folks.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by CJBean View Post
            I hope I didn't sound like to much of a spoiled brat I usually don't tell this story to non horsie folks.
            Well, it might just be the champagne, but I got tears in my eyes reading your story.

Comment

I haven't gotten any horses for Christmas but I got to give 2 this year.
              -Jessica

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by dressagetraks View Post
                Yep, much to my surprise, I'm giving myself a horse for Christmas.
                I have never before in my life, self-given or otherwise, gotten a horse for Christmas.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...traks/Mare.jpg

(Ignore the less than spectacular frontward setup of this shot. It's the best still shot they sent of her.)
                What a pretty girl. I'm interested in learning more about Traks, myself. I've had horses before (not right now) but I just love the idea of getting one for Christmas!!

Congrats!

Comment

CJBean, that is a great story!! Thank you for sharing.

Do you have any pictures you can share of Firelove and or her baby?
                  Visit my farm at www.hiddenrockfarm.com

Comment

Great stories, everyone! Dressagetraks, what a beautiful mare! Congrats! Merry Christmas!

I got tears in my eyes from CJBeans story, too. But I'm not having champagne, I'm eating hot cocoa mix, so it's got to be the wonderful story that did it for me! How sweet!

No, no new horse for me this year, but I/we got my first horse and pony when I was 5! That was many, many years ago. I had started riding the neighbor's pony, Tinkerbelle when I was about 4, because I was the smallest kid around. At the age of 5, I had grown almost too big for Tinker, so started asking if we could get a pony. Of course parents said no, even though we had plenty of room on our 20 acre farm. So we had a driveway that people often mistook for a road that went though - they'd drive all the way down it and have to turn around and go back.

I grew more and more "horse sick" as time went on until one day, it was Christmas morning. Yet another vehicle drove down our driveway seemingly lost. I glanced out the window and saw that it was a truck and horse trailer, but thought no big deal; just another lost driver. Then, I noticed that the truck stopped and the people got out! My face was plastered to the window - what the heck were these people doing? Whaaa? They were walking to the back of the horse trailer and opening the doors! I was very confused! My mom just stood there smiling ear to ear. Outside, I saw that my dad was talking to the people, and they were unloading a horse and a pony! I was still like - HUH? What is wrong with these people! I don't get it! Finally, my mom spilled the beans and said, "The horse and pony are for you kids! Merry Christmas!".

I ran outside screaming and crying - thanking my parents and the people delivering the horse and pony! The horses were for my brother and sisters, too, but they were not nearly as excited as I. The horse was a huge bony backed older chestnut gelding named Bum (not as in butt, but more like a derelict), and round little dappled shetland pony named . . . wait for it . . . Dapples! We did not have saddles for either horse, but we did have halters, lead ropes, and these really cool looking bright blue nylon bridles with generic curb bits attached!

In the end, my brother and sisters were afraid of the big horse and little nasty shetland. Bum was so kind and gentle but he was so high off the ground (didn't bother me one bit!). Dapples, on the other hand, liked to bite, buck his rider off, or scrape his rider off on trees! I'd go sailing off of him, land crying, and then catch him and get right back on! I loved the challenge!

We never did get saddles while we owned those horses. I was not until I was 8 or 9 and we had moved to another state that I finally got a saddle! My mom let pick it out of the Kaufman's catalog for Christmas. I want to say it cost about $175 back then!

So, that is the story about my Christmas horses and how this whole thing started for me! Thank you Mom and Dad, and thank you Dapples and Bum!

Merry Christmas!

Comment

My mare was my Christmas present last year- my how time flies! This year I was stumped on what to ask 'Santa' for however, because it was the first year that 'A Horse' wasn't #1 on my list!

Fingers crossed he brings me that new truck and trailer!

Comment

Originally posted by ellebeaux View Post
                        Well, it might just be the champagne, but I got tears in my eyes reading your story.
                        No bubbles here either but def tears. I have a similar story but it was my birthday and a bay QH mare. Thanks for telling that story and helping me remember that moment all over again.
                        There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Comment

Oh you guys got me teary eyed by telling me you did I would have to say this of course is the best memory of my life and I am so grateful for it as well.

I will get some of the pictures scanned in the next day or two that I have from that Christmas day, and I will post them on here.

Here are some pictures of Firelove's baby all grown up, his name is Blazing Fire aka Blaze.

Comment

2 years ago I did.

Looking back (and I loved Dobbin, eally I did) it was the worst choice. The owners really needed rid of the bills and the BO wanted the horse to stay in the barn but it wasnt a good match. There was only 1 thing this horse did wrong. Unfortunately it was pretty important! We lost a lot of contests together.

Then I had to let my Christmas present go. I havent gotten Dobbin out of my heart yet.
                            “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Comment

Yes!!! 16 years ago today!!

Roany pony

I actually felt sorta sorry for my dad... I was the typical horse crazy girl... fell in love with every horse I rode and just had to have them. Well... Never did get them and in the end, I'm glad. Because...along came Roany. She was a lesson horse but... tended to buck people off. The first time I saw her in the pasture I thought "That is the ugliest horse I've ever seen!". She was all bony and scraggly. But... She blossomed! My first ride I was told to hang on tight cause she likes to buck! And did she!! I believe she bucked atleast once every single ride until she turned 22...then it was only every other ride I fell in love after that first ride. Not many liked to ride her so I was able to enjoy her. Then my friend leased her...even though she got bucked off almost every ride! She would let me lunge her on Mondays and...most of the days the trainer would smile and say "get on, I won't tell!" HA! I remember once I had to get my MMR shot and it made me faint. It was a Monday and I was bawling cause I thought my dad wouldn't let me go out to see Roany. Hee hee.. He did So anyways... my parents ended up getting a divorce when I was 15. Which luckily coincided with the Roany pony being at the barn. Since she was being leased I kept finding reasons to cancel my lessons cause it wasn't the same without it being the Roanster. So my trainer told my dad that if he wanted to buy me a horse, this was THE ONE! So... he did He bought it out from under my friend who was leasing her Hee hee. Feel sorta bad about that...well, not really! She was really MY HORSE! So anyways... the barn kids couldn't keep a secret and I sorta had an idea. (This is why I feel bad for my Dad). We ended up going to Florida to stay with my grandparents and on the car ride up... I had gotten this stuffed pony that neighed. So I kept squashing and saying "Shhh, Roany.. I'm not supposed to know I'm getting you for Christmas". My poor dad! So on Christmas morning I was snooping before the family got up and there was this stuffed rocking horse. Turns out it was for my cousin and I was devastated cause I thought that was "Roany". Well, I had one more gift to open and it was this gorgeous horse blanket that I still have today. However, I was a bit disappointed until... a stall plaque fell out that said "Roany, Holly's Heart, Owned and Loved By Holly Muchow"! SWEET!!! *(oh..she had two sideways hearts on her butt so hence the show name... it later was changed multiple times as we grew up together).

It was the best Christmas ever!!! Only I was soooo anxious to get back to Ga and see my pony girl.
                              Still have the bucking brat today! She's 26 now and retired and has earned her keep!!!

Thanks Dad!!!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...rebacktrot.jpg
                              http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...rthdaygirl.jpg
                              this was her 21st Birthday party...she got beer

I hope every girl gets her dream pony this Christmas!

Comment

I got a horse for Christmas about 4 years ago!

I already had two horses at the time, my retired Standardbred and my Missouri Fox Trotter. We had just moved into our house that year in August and didn't even have a barn. I had been putting my two girls in stalls that I had built in the garage but decided that just wasn't going to work because I was at work all day and worried about them turned out without shelter. So a friend that I ride with said he would help me build a shed row. This was in November. He rushed and rushed to get it done and I couldn't figure out why. I told him as long as the two horses could get in out of the weather it was fine with me and we could finish in the spring. I soon found out why he rushed to add that third stall on (I had built a four stall shed row, a stall for tack, stalls for the two girls and an extra just in case

I had fallen in love with a filly that was at some friends farm. This little chestnut MFT would come up to me and put her head over my shoulder and just won my heart over. I had never felt like a horse was supposed to be mine as I had with her. I had first seen her when she was two weeks old and she was being a bratty filly during a blanket change outside and it was raining and she slipped and fell and was flopping around in the mud like a fish out of water and I said, that is my horse.

I always asked my friends how she was and dreaded hearing when people were comingto look at her as she was for sale. I guess I talked a lot about her to my husband. Equine Affaire was coming and my husband got to meet her for the first time. She of course won him over. After EA my friends told me that someone was coming to look at Cricket and that they were pretty sure she would be sold. I bawled my eyes out at work that day. I was so devastated. Then she wasn't sold. Come to find out they were playing mean tricks on me.

On the night before Christmas I was driving home from work and my husband called me on my cell and said I wanted you to know that you are not getting Cricket for Christmas. I guess I must have said I wanted her for Christmas or something. I said I know, she's too expensive and I don't need a third horse.

The next morning my husband couldn't wait to open up presents. So I get to this box and open it up and there are pictures of Cricket with a big red bow on her. I bawled my eyes out!!! She was delivered that very day.
                                Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Comment

No horse for me (that I know of, anyhow) but I did gift my AWS colt to my father for Christmas this year. Papers are wrapped and under the tree as I type.

Comment

I did! I did! I did get a horse for Christmas!

I was born wanting a horse (really I was, ask my folks) and of course I was born with a horse-a-phobic Mom who insisted that I would fall to my death if I rode. So instead of riding lessons or even a monthly trek to a barn where I could wallow in poop and just groom, they through me into every activity a quiet smart girl could loathe. Then they wondered why I rebelled so much. Cripes, could it be because I hated every activity I had going in my life...duh parents...perhaps listening to your children is the clue.

So lucky for me I had an Aunt and Uncle who indulged my cousins horsey love and I rode with abandon when I visited them for the summers. Then I found a nice farm that let me ride for free just to exercise their old horses while I was school. I read, I rode...I taught myself to ride I guess you could say. But it felt natural and good and I loved every ride I had like it was my last.

I moved back home in the fall of 1999, met my future husband and promptly told him that I WOULD OWN A HORSE and that was the only condition I had for our future. So what did we do? We moved into the city and had a house with a postage stamp sized yard. Our daughter was still postage stamp sized at that time so it was ok.....I quelled my needs by collecting my beloved C.W. Anderson lithographs and antique equestrian goodies...someday Colleen, someday...

That postage sized lot was far too small for our outdoor loving daughter so we found a lovely old house in the country...with land..and a BARN! Yes, dear friends....I was on a mission. And do you know what the first thing my husband said was? Don't even think about getting a horse yet...seriously...don't even think it. Ummmmm....did he miss the memo about the horse when he proposed?!?!?!??!

Shortly thereafter I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and my daughter was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. I was so bad at one point that I told myself that I would never ride, never own a horse and that was that. the Dr.s told me that riding at that point was not an option...I was crushed. To bring myself out of the funk, I concentrated instead on learning to train service dogs and working with animal assisted therapy. It was good...I have no regrets, it has changed my life, although I was still crushed about my horsey dreams. My husband and I both knew however, that we needed to have our DD learn to ride, if that is what she wanted, I was not going to let her miss out on something I was never really able to enjoy as much as I wanted to.

We waited until we felt she was mature enough to deal with the "whole horse" because of the autism. It's very important that Autistic kids are given a positive introduction into experiences to avoid stress and negative associations. So we asked her if she would like to take lessons at a TR facility or volunteer at one and take lessons later. She jumped at volunteering and now, a little over a year later she not only volunteers...but gives lessons herself and will start showing in the spring. Horses are her world and she loves everything about them.

When I saw Lori at Sunkissed Acres post about Dumplin' I thought "no, he's very cute but no, you owe your kid the horse of her dreams...just wait." But there was something so magical about that little fuzzy man. And you know what? He is perfect for me. I do get to ride from time to time at the stable where we volunteer and that is enough for me. What I want is the companionship, the love time, the grooming and nuzzles...and that is what Dumplin' is perfect at. He'll be a therapy horse here at our farm for children ages 4-7 with special needs. He's been introduced to a wheelchair this week and never even flinched. Same with walkers. He's just golden.

So after nearly 42 years I finally got my horse. All was meant to be, and it was so worth the wait.
                                    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

Yes, when I was in 5th grade. She was a fat pinto pony with one blue eye and one brown eye. Her name was Princess. She was not one, but I loved her anyway. She was the beginning of a long journey with horses and I am grateful that my non-horse parents were willing to let me have a horse. She was the best Christmas gift I have yet to receive.
                                      Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
                                      http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

A Colt For Christmas

About a hundred years ago, when I was about 8, I was really horse crazy. We had a couple of horses we kept at a "ranchette" near where we lived. All I wanted to do was to ride, ride, ride. Every book I read was a horse book. Horses were my life.

On this particular Christmas, the family was up early to open presents under the tree. I remember I was quite disappointed because I got clothes for Christmas, and clothing was not something I really cared about at that age. No toys. No games. Just clothes. Oh well. I tried not to show my disappointment, but I'm not sure I convinced anyone.

Papa took me to church. I was dressed in a little velveteen dress with a lacy collar, white socks with lace on the edges and brand new patent leather shoes. On the way home from church, we pass a boarding stable where we often went for horse shows and gymkanas. Papa stopped the car and went in to visit with the folks at the barn. He came out to the car and said to come in, there was a horse he wanted me to see.

I protested, saying Mama would be mad if I got my new shoes dirty and got dust on my velveteen dress, but he assured me it would be all right and he would clear the air with Mama if I got dirty.

Inside the barn we walked to a stall on the right side of the barn. I can remember it like it was yesterday. It was very dark in the barn, but one shaft of sunlight came through the stall window. Flecks of sawdust and dust danced in the sunlight like diamonds. It took a while for my eyes to adjust to the semi-darkness.

Inside the stall was a little sorrel colt about 6 mo. old with a big red ribbon around his neck. Attached to the ribbon was a little bell made of china which tinkled when he walked. The little colt came to me and then I saw that on the little bell was MY NAME! MY NAME! I couldn't believe it. The colt was MINE.

He was a registered quarter horse and my Papa had brought him all the way from the King Ranch. Is that a great present for a little girl?

"Dusty" and I grew up together. He was a pretty good halter horse, and a darned good pleasure horse. We competed in a lot of events and won many. He took me through my teen years into adulthood and was my very best friend. He was the best Christmas present ever!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X