• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Wild Horses Found Dead In Southeastern Kentucky

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Horses Found Dead In Southeastern Kentucky

http://www.lex18.com/news/wild-horse...stern-kentucky

HARLAN, Ky. (AP) - Dozens of wild horses have been shot to death in southeastern Kentucky.

Harlan County Humane Society CEO Marcella Chadwick says the organization is offering a $500 reward for information leading to conviction in the deaths of the 28 horses.

Chadwick told the Harlan Daily Enterprise she was contacted Friday by people who live in the Bledsoe area about 12 miles northwest of Harlan. She said mares and foals were shot and left to die.

The Humane Society stepped in a couple of years ago when a coal company wanted to move the horses. Chadwick said then the company dropped the effort and the horses were thriving.
    Anyone with information should contact the Humane Society at (606) 573-0016 or any law enforcement agency.
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

And no one will ever be caught, and no one will ever be prosecuted
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry.

Comment

oh no... in Kentucky... what a horsey state indeed... they can be so proud of themselves!! argh..

Comment

Geeze, a whole $500 reward! You'd think a state that probably relies on breeding and selling horses could afford a bit more. I do hope more money is donated the fund.
        Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

• Original Poster

Zack Adkins

18 hours ago near Harlan, KY · Edited

Im madder today than I have been in a long time. Here in Harlan some of you may know about the Wild Horses of Dingo. Roughly 200 horses live there on a mountain and the families who own the property allow them. Justice coal company wanted the horses removed and to my knowledge slaughtered a couple of years ago. The Humane Society stepped in and saved them and took responsibility of them. I have po...sted many photos. Someone has went over there and shot and killed 28 horses. Mostly mothers and babies. I am sick and disgusted anyone in this county would be such a coward to do what they have done. My heart is absolutely broken. We have a $500 reward for anyone who knows anything that would lead to convicting these cowards. Jail time is too good for them in my opinion. If anyone wants to donate to help up that reward, please let us know. We are also selling calendars as a fundraiser, but maybe if we sell them we can put that money toward the reward. Please if you know anything please let me, Marcella Chadwick, Jeannie Hickey or the police know! Someone has to have heard gunshots or saw something. Dont stand by and watch it keep going. — with Harlan Humane.

Comment

• Original Poster

With video:

http://www.lex18.com/news/38-wild-ho...ref_map=%5B%5D

38 Wild Horses Believed To Have Been Shot Dead

For decades, wild horses have been known to roam the part of Straight Creek in Harlan County known as Dingo. On Friday, though, that same area was noticeably quiet.

Marcella Chadwick, the president of the Harlan County Humane Society told LEX 18 that at least 38 of the horses seemingly vanished over the last four days. Chadwick said folks in the area reported seeing the animals gunned down.

"People come visit these horses," Chadwick told LEX 18. "They bring apples. They bring treats. And they said, you know we were over there and did you know there's several horses laying over there dead and they've been shot?"

Heading up the investigation, State Police confirm at least one of the horses was found dead. The others, they said, are still unaccounted for, as of Friday night.

However, a foul smell in the air, along with some other factors, have led Chadwick to believe those nearly 40 horses were shot and killed.

"I don't know how else they would die. 38 horses can't just fall over dead," Chadwick said.

While crews Friday searched an estimated 5,000 acres looking for any sign of the missing horses, they said they will likely pick up that search of the remaining 5,000 acres on Saturday.

The Humane Society, with help from the community, is offering a $4,100 reward for information in the case that leads to an arrest and conviction. That reward continues to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by msj View Post
              Geeze, a whole $500 reward! You'd think a state that probably relies on breeding and selling horses could afford a bit more. I do hope more money is donated the fund.
              it's from the humane society I assumed.
              I think Eastern Kentucky is rather rural...my guess is, besides that's all they can afford to spare without compromising operations, is that this money goes a long way in those parts...

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                it's from the humane society I assumed.
                I think Eastern Kentucky is rather rural...my guess is, besides that's all they can afford to spare without compromising operations, is that this money goes a long way in those parts...
                It's the Harlan County Humane Society, just to make that clear.

And they are now up to over $ 4,000.

Comment

Harlan, KY is located in the coal fields of Kentucky. According to wiki, it's lost nearly half of it's population since 1990. A QUARTER of it's families, and 32% (!!!!!) of the population live below the poverty line.
                  "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Comment

Originally posted by luvmytbs View Post
                    It's the Harlan County Humane Society, just to make that clear.

And they are now up to over $ 4,000.
                    Good. I'm glad to see this and I do hope that even if " A QUARTER of it's families, and 32% (!!!!!) of the population live below the poverty line," I would hope that other counties in KY would also contribute to the fund.

OP if you could post the mailing address and phone number of the Humane Society so others reading this post can contribute, I would appreciate it. When Dade County in FL was having all the horses butchered back several yrs ago, I sent down a nice donation and will gladly contribute to Harlan Co. Humane Society fund to find the person(s) responsible for the shooting.

Thank you in advance.
                    Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

• Original Poster

This is from their FB page:

Harlan County Humane Society
                      167 Belkway Dr
                      Harlan, Kentucky 40831

Phone (606) 573-0016

And this is their non-profit status:

Employer Identification Number (EIN) 611205921
                      Name of Organization Harlan County Humane Society Inc
                      Address PO BOX 844, Harlan, KY 40831-0844
                      Subsection Educational Organization
                      Ruling Date 10/2012
                      Contributions are deductible

That area is very, very poor.
                      The community cares a lot about these horses and $ 4,000 is a big chunk of money for them to have contributed.
                      A few years ago (two maybe) they were in a huge battle with the mining company which wanted to remove the horses.

Comment

Good. I'm glad to see this and I do hope that even if " A QUARTER of it's families, and 32% (!!!!!) of the population live below the poverty line," I would hope that other counties in KY would also contribute to the fund.

OP if you could post the mailing address and phone number of the Humane Society so others reading this post can contribute, I would appreciate it. When Dade County in FL was having all the horses butchered back several yrs ago, I sent down a nice donation and will gladly contribute to Harlan Co. Humane Society fund to find the person(s) responsible for the shooting.

Thank you in advance.
                        I think your donation to the Harlan Humane Society is a thoughtful and wonderful gesture. Please consider not putting any stipulation on how the money is used. This area of the country doesn't have the resources to take care of it's human population, much less the animal population.

Comment

• Original Poster

http://middlesborodailynews.com/news...h#.U_jBVrkg8qR

Over two dozen wild horses that roam an area of Straight Creek known as Dingo are reportedly dead.

Marcella Chadwick, CEO of the Harlan County Humane Society, said a total of 28 horses had been discovered dead as of Friday afternoon.

“People that live over there keep us informed as to what’s going on with the horses because we’re kind of over them (the horses) now,” said Chadwick. “They called me this morning and they’ve found mares and foals that have been shot and just left. They’re dead. It’s been probably two days ago when they were shot.”

Chadwick said the Humane Society is offering a reward for information leading to the conviction of the person or persons responsible for killing the horses.

“We’re doing a $3,000 reward,” said Chadwick.

Chadwick said the reward will be paid upon conviction.

“They can’t just come and tell me, they’ve got to be willing to go to court,” said Chadwick.

Chadwick said the horses appear to have been shot with a firearm powerful enough to go all the way through the animals.

“We fought tooth and nail to keep those horses from going to slaughter,” said Chadwick.

A previous report states the horses were the center of a disagreement between the Harlan County Humane Society and Sequoia Energy over whether the horses would have to be moved from the Dingo area they have occupied for decades.

“The only way we can stop this is if the public helps us,” said Chadwick. “It’s a cruel, sick thing for somebody to do. Some of the horses were gut shot so it’s taken days for them to die, which is cruel and inhumane. These horses aren’t bothering anybody, they’re up on top of a mountain. We need the public’s help.”

Kentucky State Police Det. Craig Miller is investigating the report of the missing horses. Miller said around 38 horses have been reported missing.

If anybody has any information about the incident, contact the Harlan County Humane Society at 606-573-0016 or any law enforcement agency.

Comment

I Googled Justice coal company, and holy cow, what a disgraceful sonofableep owner, and criminally negligent/blatant in disregard for laws company.
                            Jeanie
                            RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

Justice Coal Company is owned by Jim Justice, who also owns and races Thoroughbreds under the name of Justice Family Racing.

Comment

Hold your horses though....
                                Col Company =/= shooters at this point though.

Comment

Originally posted by ahf View Post
                                  Harlan, KY is located in the coal fields of Kentucky. According to wiki, it's lost nearly half of it's population since 1990. A QUARTER of it's families, and 32% (!!!!!) of the population live below the poverty line.
                                  While I wouldn't exactly condone it, I could understand if folks were shooting horses and using them as a food source. But to shoot them in the gut and just leave them to die a miserable death is sick and inhumane

Comment

Originally posted by Marshfield View Post
                                    While I wouldn't exactly condone it, I could understand if folks were shooting horses and using them as a food source. But to shoot them in the gut and just leave them to die a miserable death is sick and inhumane
                                    Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshfield View Post
                                      Holy crap! That was NOT my point!

Comment

These horses sound very treasured. I knew there were parts of Tennessee and Kentucky who were in rough shape economically, but had no idea that it was as bad as cited (which I have no reason to doubt). It's clear that the Humane Society is doing their best. It just seems such a waste (in addition to being inhumane) for the horses to die as they have. If they had to die, if they could have helped someone in need, then they're deaths wouldn't have been so senseless. I in no way meant to imply that the residents in the area were acting in any type of inappropriate manner.

Comment

Working...
                                        X