• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Parelli on RFD-TV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parelli on RFD-TV

Does anyone watch this? Tivo recorded it for me so I'm watching and it is a couple working with PP. The man is on a grey horse and the woman on a bay. It looks like they are tied to their saddles....anyone notice that? Are they? Isn't that dangerous??!!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran
  • Original Poster

Does anyone watch this? Tivo recorded it for me so I'm watching and it is a couple working with PP. The man is on a grey horse and the woman on a bay. It looks like they are tied to their saddles....anyone notice that? Are they? Isn't that dangerous??!!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Comment

I'd love to hog tie a few of their people that drive way too FAST through the neighborhood!

Comment

Huh?

I saw that, but i don't remember them being tied to their saddles. I highly doubt they were.

Comment

I've seen several of them. Not sure but maybe you mean the lead line that is tucked under their belt? The mecate reins have an attached lead line. The don't tie it to the saddle but tuck it under their belt. I seem to remember they do that so if there is an unexpected dismount you still can get to the lead rope but it's a dim memory.
          To many, the words love, hope and dreams are synonymous with horses. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

http://www.ctgponies.4t.com/

Comment

OK, it's being re-run right now...and I concur that it certainly looks like the mecate is wrapped around the horn and then tied to rider's belt loops.

Whether it is or not, this is the most asinine thing I've ever seen...

Comment

It may be around the saddle.

As someone else said, you can also push it up through your belt so if you dismount you still have something to hold the horse.
              There is a way to do that so it comes out and isn't dangerous.
              ~Kate
              Owned by Lit, 1988 Russian Arabian
              Member of the Bareback Riders Clique, Proud Closet Canterer

Comment

lot of the western folk use them, very handy on the trail they say. i have to admit, i didn't know what they were until recently but when i read this post, i laughed so hard i think i wet my pants!! too funny.

Comment

That was the most pathetic display of riding. Those poor people need real lessons, that guy almost fell off a time or two, they were both so insecure. They needed to learn to ride instead of playing ring around the Rosey with a carrot stick and rope. Seriously PP is a joke! The whole thing was pathetic to watch. Rrrr.

Comment

I agree, San. Except I end up laughing a whole lot when I watch. Actually, I watch about ten minutes of it, because the rest of it is either an advertisement for their schpiel or a major wanking off on how great they are. those poor suckers! You can tell they went out and got horses knowing nothing and are overmounted.

Comment

Well, I haven't watched and never will. I have no use for him.

I've seen people with the mecate tucked into their belts in case of a voluntary dismount. I find that fascinating. The way that I train, I have great confidence that my horse will stay with me in the unlikely event that I come off. Interesting, isn't it that the NH trained horses are the ones that get the hell out of dodge when the rider comes off. Of course, it makes sense when the horse is rewarded by "release of pressure" from the trainer.

Just an amusing observation.
                      "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What makes me laugh is the anti-parelli people who bitch and moan about parelli but then keep on going back to RFDTV to watch a little more. Then they show up back on the forum and bitch and moan a little more. I have a grand plan! You don't like? Don't watch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                        LOL But its sooooo pathetically funny we are drawn to the train wrecks! LOL

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I agree, San. Except I end up laughing a whole lot when I watch. Actually, I watch about ten minutes of it, because the rest of it is either an advertisement for their schpiel or a major wanking off on how great they are. those poor suckers! You can tell they went out and got horses knowing nothing and are overmounted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                          Yup true about the major wanking off, the ads for their 2006 tour, OMG him riding one and one running next to him.
                          Them playing their tag thing with the horse, that black stallion of Pats always looks like he wants to bite the crap right out of Pat! And a little slo-mo bit of Linda jumping something, sans tack and helmet.. She looked a little fetal!

Comment

The one thing that looked dangerous to me in this episode was at the beginning when the woman was "playing" with her horse on the lunge line with about 3' of it at her feet on the ground. Seems soooooo easy for something to happen and getting her feet caught up in the rope!

I agree with whoever said they needed a real lesson . . . there was really no direction or explanantion of why they were doing what they were doing until AFTER they had attempted to do it. That would have driven me crazy!!

Comment

I'll admit it, I am guilty of using some of PNH-type principles with my young mare

I know that many people don't like either Parelli or NH in general. I've seen Parelli at one of his presentations along with Linda and the O'Connors. During the break, the arena was filled with Parelli students doing what I've come to think of as "Parelli Party Tricks".

Unfortunately, I think what gets most of the publicity is the party tricks. And the party tricks don't really show off what Parelli and the others are trying to get across with NH-style training. (And, yeah, I'd even think alot of the time, at least in the public view, that Parelli also does party tricks.)

What I do know is that my young mare (who didn't have alot of time under saddle before I starting working with my current trainer(s)) was reasonably suspicious and didn't have alot of trust (she wasn't naughty, just not necessarily trusting). Now, she is much more trusting, and not all just because of PNH work but certainly based on that. She is now eager to see me (despite my shortcomings ) She tries hard to please because she knows she'll be rewarded for her effort. She doesn't worry when she doesn't get something because she knows she won't in trouble for things she doesn't understand what she did wrong. She gives nicely to the bit (and yup, I ride in one of those nasty Parelli bridles with the slobber straps and long line, tied to the horn of the saddle, not to me).

Don't sell the techniques short based on what you see on TV or a fancy presentation. There are good trainers out there who don't teach the party tricks (and yes, my trainer always wears a helmet )). Maybe that's where the party tricks come from... too many falls without a helmet???
                              No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt
                              For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion - Unknown
                              Pleasure Portrait 1989-2016...sleep well my girl

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Where'sMyWhite:
                                During the break, the arena was filled with Parelli students doing what I've come to think of as "Parelli Party Tricks". </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Oh, that's a perfect way to describe it, LOL. I've seen many of the Guru Trainers use the same type of "party tricks" in their ads/breaks/marketing; it not just Parelli. Marketing technique is all it is . . .

Comment

kewpalace, what I think is too bad is that the party tricks really detract from what they are really trying to accomplish.
                                  No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt
                                  For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion - Unknown
                                  Pleasure Portrait 1989-2016...sleep well my girl

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Two Simple:
                                    Actually, your observation is quite a ways off base. A long mecate rope is used to tie a horse to a tree on a trail ride while the rider lies on the grass, gets some lunch, etc. So while riding, the rope has to go SOMEWHERE. Most people loop it around the saddle horn. Others loop it to their belt because they either don't have a horn, or they don't want to scratch the leather on the horn. Still other people will tie the end of the rope to the saddle strings at the front of the saddle. Everyone does things a different way and it has NOTHING to do with hanging onto the horse so it doesn't run off after you get bucked off! It is crazy to even think about such a thing. Would YOU want to be tied to a run away horse via a rope around your waist??? I don't think so!! That is NOT the purpose of a mecate rope. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I was told by a horse owner who rode with one on her green horse as she was instructed by her Parelli instructor. Another poster above noted the same. I was not making this up.
                                    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

TwoSimple,

Here is my take: I HAVE to "keep going back" for I LIVE in the neighborhood. In fact, I lived here before they did! I have called & called to no avail, always to be told no-one in authority is available. No Pat, no Neil, no Farm Mgr. Thank TS for your bitchy comments about people that keep watching their public relations infomercials-of which I am not one for I have not owned a TV in over 25 years. I think the best plan now is to notify the Sheriff Dept. there is a SERIOUS fast driving issue on that road, specifically regarding Parelli people. TS, I cannot thank you enough for giving me the resolve to end this literal nightmare-before they literally hurt/KILL a horse & rider.

Comment

Absolutely! You're welcome!

Comment

Working...
                                        X