• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spring cleaning time, what's in your grooming box?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring cleaning time, what's in your grooming box?

Getting ready to put away winter blankets and putting the 'bath bucket' together. Cleaned my grooming box out, and bought some new triple antibiotic.... What do you keep in your box/bag/bucket to use everyday? Any secrets you want to share?
    Lotions/potions:
    • Sore-No-More
    • Triple antibiotic
    • Diaper Cream
    • Witch Hazel (gonna try in place of old standby Peroxide...)

Brushes etc.
    • Curry & Face/Leg Curry
    • Long 'Flick' brush
    • Shorter hard 'mud' brush
    • Finish Brush
    • Face Brush
    • Mane\tail brush
    • Hoof Pick
    • Cactus Cloth
    • Slicker Block

Misc
    • Thermometer
    • Swiss Army Knife
    • Scissors
    • Sharpie
    • Gardening gloves (for picking out muddy feet)

I have to say, the tip about the gardening gloves was something I picked up from my old trainer and is so much better than needing to a) wash my hands b) get expensive riding gloves dirty. New trainer says regular old triple antibiotic is easier and cheaper than all the expensive stuff at the tack store and I agree.

I always have rubbing alcohol on hand for disinefecting, rub downs after hard work (it evaportates quicker than water so quicker cooling down) and if you mix it with the purple shampoo, you get a cheap green spot remover.

Comment

Grooming kit = soft curry (rubber mitt or jelly scrubber,) hoof pick w/brush, metal curry (for cleaning brushes,) stiff brush (prefer rice root,) medium brush (mixed natural fibers,) body brush (soft natural fibers with round back and strap,) rub rag, scissors, solo comb, pulling comb, hair brush (for mane and tail,) boots. The lotions and potions are kept on the shelf rather than in individual boxes, but the things we have handy would be rubbing alcohol, absorbine liniment, preparation H (for bald spots,) diaper rash ointment and bag balm. Sweat scrapers have their own hooks near the hydrant, and the sponges all live in a hanging basket near the hydrant.
      blogging at HN: http://www.horsenation.com/
      check out my writing: http://jeseymour.com
      Just out: http://www.barkingrainpress.org/dd-p...ead-poisoning/

Comment

My basic "grooming box" (it's actually a tool box) contains few items:

- metal hoof pick with brush
        -"gel" curry mitt
        - soft body brush
        - stiff brush (which I never use - Tb mare hates it, even on her legs)
        - scissors
        - horse shaver thingies
        - Solo Comb
        - tube of triple antibiotic ointment
        - sunscreen for my face
        - various clips and eye hooks
        - a pen

Most of the time tho, my "grooming box is a small bucket that holds the first 3 items and a set of 4 brushing boots (the hair dryer was just put back into the Big Box because it's finally SPRING!)

I keep a towel on the stall door, and haven't yet used the shedding blade...

Meds and ointments / liniments and wraps are all in the Big Box along with other "stuff" (xtra halters, leads, reins and saddle pads, galloping boots, a lamp, etc.
        Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys. I think the hair dryer got put up around here too. Nice for warming bits, and fingers too!

I see several Solo Combs, do they work? Do you like the results? Considered it but have never seen an actual one in use.

Comment

Grooming:
            Plastic curry
            Hoof pick
            Medium-stiff brush
            Flick brush
            Mane/tail brush
            Epona Ultra Mitt (my favorite for face and head)

Wash bucket:
            Cowboy Magic Rosewater shampoo
            Sweat scraper
            Wintergreen alcohol (used as a body brace, in lieu of Vetrolin/linament)
            Healthy Hair Care Moisturizer
            (Another) Epona Ultra Mitt (love for sweat marks and bathing)

On a rack on the wall:
            Hoof pick
            Plastic curry
            Utility knife
            Fly spray
            Bucket brush
            Dish detergent
            Flashlight
            "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

Lotions/potions:
              *bannix
              *Sore no more liniment
              *Cowboy magic detangler
              *"Pink spray" the hair moisturizer stuff
              *Fura-free

Brushes:
              *Shed flower! My new favorite tool, horses enjoy it too.
              * soft rubber curry for legs and faces
              * curry
              * shedding blade
              * boomerang shaped hard brush (love!)
              * long bristled medium brush
              * soft brush
              * hoof pick, tail comb and bristle brush for manes/tails

Misc.
              * thermometer
              * bandage sheers
              * rubber bands
              * hand sanitizer
              * thinning comb
              *pulling comb
              * electrical tape

Comment

Grooming bag (it's pretty big):
                Baby wipes
                Hoof pick with brush
                Hoof dressing (Hooflex, Horseshoer's Secret or Farrier's Formula), Thrushbuster
                Cactus cloth
                Rubber curry
                Rubber curry mitt
                Shed Flower
                Sleekez (this is amazing)
                Round metal curry
                Stiff brush
                Large natural bristle body brush with short bristles
                Mane/tail comb, aluminum pulling combs, Vetrolin detangler
                Aloe vera veterinary cream
                Desitin
                Various horse boots and treats

First aid/miscellaneous box:
                Bandaging supplies, including maybe 15 rolls of vetwrap
                Bandage scissors
                Braiding kit with bands and yarn
                Sewing kit
                Baby shampoo
                Healthy Hair Care
                Megatek Rebuilder for conditioning tails
                Ivory soap for cleaning sheaths
                Plastic gloves
                Wonder Dust and blue dab wound ointments
                Hoof nippers, hoof knife, rasp (I trim my own)
                Animalintex
                Gorilla tape
                Extra hoof picks
                Vetrolin liniment and Absorbine gel (gel is mostly for me )

Sometimes I feel like I'm ready for the apocalypse..........
                I love my Econo-Nag!

Comment

• Original Poster

Ahh flashlight! I need to get one of those.

You can use Ivory for sheath cleaning? Interesting... Since I tend to keep a stock of it.

ETA: The 'blue dab' is Blue Kot with the dabber brush? Found that in TSC last fall and love it. Just tossed out the spray can, dabber is so much easier. Like it for wet/mud season, especially on legs.

Comment

All of the below fits in the best grooming bag ever:
                    - Baby wipes
                    - Baby oil (poor man's Cowboy Magic detangler!)
                    - Pink spray (poor man's Show Sheen!)
                    - Cowboy Magic green spot remover
                    - My favorite grooming tool ever - a cactus cloth mitt
                    - Shedding flower (best shedding tool ever)
                    - Shedding block (yep, it's spring!)
                    - Flexible curry with rounded nubs
                    - Hard bristled brush
                    - Softish brush
                    - Tiny soft face curry
                    - Mane/tail brush
                    - Pulling combs
                    - Hoof pick (or five...)
                    - Corona ointment
                    - Thrusbuster
                    - Rainmaker
                    - Ear pom poms (always an odd number - 3, 5, 11...)
                    - Scissors
                    - A grimy roll of Vetrap
                    - Treats
                    - Usually a pair of Roeckels

I haven't taken inventory of my bathing stuff since last fall and most of my first aid stuff and other less frequently used items are scattered in my tack box.
                    Originally posted by BAC
                    I don't think FF's post was rude (not this one at least).

Comment

Preparation H for bald spots?? Genius!! Who knew?
                      I was going to add hair. Lots and lots of long white winter coat hair.
                      What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

Gardening gloves -- what a great idea! I'm going to have to get some of those.

My grooming box includes:
                        - Eqyss Permier Rehydrant Spray for dry winter coat, which will be switched out for fly spray when the time comes
                        - Eqyss Survivor for her tail
                        - Absorbine liniment gel
                        - Absorbine Hooflex Conditioner
                        - Green spot remover
                        - Really stiff brush with a handle for brushing muck off hooves, or boots post-riding
                        - Hoof pick (industrial strength type)
                        - Other hoof pick (cheap kind with brush on alternate side)
                        - Jelly two-sided curry mitt thingy
                        - Rubber massagey-type curry
                        - Gentle curry for Her Majesty's face and legs
                        - Shedding comb, the three-ring kind
                        - Medium body brush that I bought because it says "Lipizzaner"
                        - Flick brush
                        - Medium body brush that I actually use
                        - Super soft brush
                        - Wooden mane and tail comb that I bought in Russia when i was 12 and don't actually use, but it's in there as a sort of good luck charm

What needs to be in there but currently I'm out of:
                        - baby wipes
                        - thrush buster

What lives in my tack box but occasionally migrates into grooming box as needed:
                        - Scissors
                        - Swat
                        - Triple antibiotic ointment for cuts
                        - Washcloths

Wash bucket:
                        - Purple shampoo
                        - Regular shampoo
                        - Dove dish-soap for gray mare tail issues
                        - Conditioner
                        - Betadine scrub
                        - Scrubby mitt

Comment

Originally posted by dude.does.dressage View Post
                          Ahh flashlight! I need to get one of those.

You can use Ivory for sheath cleaning? Interesting... Since I tend to keep a stock of it.

ETA: The 'blue dab' is Blue Kot with the dabber brush? Found that in TSC last fall and love it. Just tossed out the spray can, dabber is so much easier. Like it for wet/mud season, especially on legs.
                          Yes and yes. I got the tip about Ivory soap from my equine dentist. Blue dabby stuff is also useful for thrush if your horse steps on your Thrushbuster bottle and you really, really want to treat his just-shod feet before he gets turned back out. I speak from experience.
                          I love my Econo-Nag!

Comment

My favorite is to keep a big box of surgical gloves handy, if they're out there it's so much nicer not to get grungy stuff on your hands!
                            It's a small world -- unless you gotta walk home.

Comment

• Original Poster

Good idea Mosey, as someone who owns a 'play harder' horse I seem to be always wiping goop on him. I will be happy when the grass arrives and he's got something other than halter tag to keep him occupied

Comment

In mine:

Rubber curry,
                                Hard brush,
                                Medium,
                                Soft,
                                Bot knife,
                                Shed blade,
                                Hair brush,
                                Hoof pick,
                                Scissors,
                                No braid hair wrap,
                                Pink Ethnic hair care,
                                Aloe crème,
                                Baby wipes (for horses, leather, etc...)
                                Listerine,
                                Apple cider vinegar,
                                who knows what else.

On a side note, this is my grooming box: http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Organizer...BPM80WMB18QXS9
                                Last edited by AmarachAcres; Apr. 12, 2014, 10:48 AM.
                                My herd for life:
                                King: 21 year old Foxtrotter gelding
                                Ruais: 8 year old Friesian/Arabian mare
                                http://imgur.com/a/LSPiJ#0

Comment

I don't have much in mine:

-Plastic curry
                                  -Stiff body brush
                                  -Bottle of Kopertox
                                  -Brush for Kopertox
                                  -Baggy of mane & tail bands
                                  -Hoof pick
                                  -Liniment (I think? Sometimes I just stick it in my tack box)
                                  -Mane & tail brush
                                  -Bottle of detangler spray

And I think that's it. I actually need to stop at the farm store tomorrow and pick up a face brush and a metal curry comb. My grooming tote is just something I picked up at the Dollar Store, so it's not very big and I have to kind of cram things in it. I'm too frugal to buy an actual grooming tote.
                                  Originally posted by katarine
                                  I don't want your prayers, tiny cow.
                                  Originally posted by Pat9
                                  When it's time for a horse to go to a new person, that person will appear. It's pony magic.

Comment

Right now?

Hair. Lots of hair. Other things under the hair, but I can't see them.
                                    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                                    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

Working...
                                    X