• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Broken tailbone....on me :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken tailbone....on me :(

Anybody out there broken their tailbone? How long before you were riding again. This seriously stinks!!!
    “And live like you ain’t afraid to die. And don’t be scared, just enjoy your ride.” Chris Ledoux ~ The Ride

Oh man, no way! I rode bareback on a narrow tb July 2007 and bruised mine it hurt like HE** for 1 month. I've been experiencing problems recently as I lost weight and let's just say "it's more exposed now". I feel like I'm growing a tail! Like in Duece Bigalo! It hurts, I just went to the chiropracter Monday, no relief. I'm excited to hear people's experience.
    Can I ask what happened?
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah, you can ask what happened...it's not very exciting. I was working with one of my young horses. He was being very good by the way. I was giving him a walk break and was turned around in the saddle hollering something at my husband and the cat took that moment to jump onto a fence post right next to us. Horse spun and bolted and being already turned around in the saddle I didn't have a chance. He took off and I stayed put and landed right on tailbone. OUCH!!! (and a little emabarasing)
      “And live like you ain’t afraid to die. And don’t be scared, just enjoy your ride.” Chris Ledoux ~ The Ride

Comment

Here's the latest thread on just that:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=178614

Comment

I've broken mine twice...of all the things I have done I swear it is the most painful injury on earth!
          I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

Twice. I'm so, so sorry! Listen to your doctors. If you try to start back too soon you'll just add significantly to your healing time. Really. Take that stupid little pillow or doughnet everywear. You won't know what really aggravates it and it's good to have it with you.

You did go to the doctor, didn't you? Second time I fractured mine, I didn't go right away. I thought I knew what it was, pulled out the pillow, and lived on old pain meds. When I finally went, I found out I had some internal bleeding. And it didn't feel as bad as the first time (but I was younger then!). If you haven't, go to the doctor!
            "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
            <>< I.I.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, my husband hauled me to the ER. They did a bunch of X-rays. That's what they found.

Comment

Not me but we have a girl at the barn that broke the tip off about 4 weeks ago. She was sitting on a counter and work and started to slip off, pushed against something to right herself and shoved her tail bone into the counter edge, broke a piece clean off . She could barely walk for a week and was heavily medicated if you know what I mean. They had to take her off the codein at the 4th day because people get so dependant on it and they gave her something else. She looked like she was 80 for another week and has been riding again the last 2 including lessons and jumping. She still cannot sit the trot and cannot canter for very long unless she gets in half seat but is off of the medication and just taking the occassional advil. Good luck!

Comment

Oh yes, falling off my mare.
                  It sucks!
                  I'm not sure which is worse...broken tail bone or broken ribs....there's not much you can do for either, but at least you can sit on a horse with broken ribs...tailbone, not so much!
                  I think it was probably about a month and a half before I could tolerate riding.
                  But I swear sometimes, if I tweak myself just right, it STILL hurts!
                  The more you stir the $hit, the more it stinks.

Comment

I broke my pelvis, in an area not far from the tailbone, so I feel your pain.

It happened mid August and I was back on a horse at Thanksgiving. I might have tried sooner (xrays showed fracture was healed at 8 weeks), but I was away at school without access to a horse I trusted. Seriously, if you don't have one, beg/borrow/steal a packer for your first ride. My first ride back just felt weird, like I was all off balance. I did w/t/c during the first ride (my parents just about had a stroke!) but it was more passenger than real riding.

I second taking the pillow EVERYWHERE. I got these air cushion things at REI, which have a valve to inflate/deflate the pillow. Very nice for adjusting the amount of cushioning.

Also, even after you are healed, always carry advil. It's been 4.5 years since my fall, and I still get pain at the fracture whether the weather changes drastrically which happens rather frequently in St. Louis during the fall/spring.

Sending healing vibes,
                    BES
                    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
                    Crayola Posse: sea green
                    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Comment

The donut...ah the donut. Do you know I STILL have to use it from time to time? It's been nearly 9 years since I broke mine the second time and every now and then I still get that YOWWWWWWW! when I sit down. I didn't get it after the first break so don't break it twice whatever you do
                      I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

I tried to get back on within a week of breaking mine. Didn't work out so well. I pretty much rode on my crotch for months before being able to sit correctly in the saddle again. Even now, something like eights years later, I can only ride for a few hours at a time before things get uncomfortable.
                        Crayola Posse - Pine Green
                        Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)
                        Autumn Caper (April 27, 1989 - May 24, 2015)
                        Murphy (April 28, 1994 - May 5, 2017)

Comment

OUCH!

OUCH!

I fell on my back, slipped on dog poo and flew back 2 years ago on Christmas and thought I was just sore but that tailbone area hurt so bad for over a year, and still not right now. I couldn't even sit straight on it. I can sit on it better now but riding, I don't know about that. I must have been quite a site, the ground was very wet and a bit muddy and I was on a grade walking to load my car in the dark and never saw it coming. It was a classic slip, typical 3 Stooges.

The tail bone seems to be a real problem area and I'm sure it depends on how bad it's injured and how it's broken.

Comment

My story doesn't end so well!

Over a year ago I was in a car accident. I broke my tailbone and the Dr. at the ER told me there was nothing to be done for a broken tail bone.... nearly 10 months later I was still in severe pain, and went to the Orthepedic Doc... it was healing, but crooked at a terrible angle!

It's still terrible, and I am only now able to get on a horse occasionally for a short period of time. :O( I am told that that I could try surgery, but it's a crap shoot to cure it or make it worse!

I hope yours heals well, but if it bothers you fairly soon, consider having another Xray to see that it's not healing incorrectly!

Stacy

Comment

• Original Poster

Aww, you guys. I want it better now! Guess it could have happened in the middle of show season though. That would have been really bad.

Comment

Thanks to plenty of padding over mine, when my greenie tossed me over his head and into the stone driveway, I just "chipped" mine It really was most painful for me to sleep and sit too long. I could still ride (I landed on my back not my butt). I had x-rays twice. The doc could tell I'd fractured it, but couldn't see the new pea sized chip until the 2nd set of x-rays 2 weeks later. I know how lucky I was - probably was the safest place for me to land on a stone driveway! War Admiral broke her back the same way a couple of years ago, if I remember correctly.

Take it easy and get as much rest as you can. That helps the healing process. Enjoy doing non-riding things, while you have the break!

Comment

OUCH! It's been 23 years since I injured my tailbone after my three-year-old mare pitched me over her head and I landed butt-first in the dirt! I didn't go to the doctor or get xrays, just figured it was a bad bruise, but it was almost 2 months before I could get back in the saddle.

LOL - what I remember was that it even hurt to bend over the bathroom sink to brush my teeth! I said to my friends that it was amazing how we use those muscles for EVERYTHING, no one should have a fat behind with all that movement going on!
                                  There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

I broke mine in February. It still bothers me from time to time. That silly donut thing did crap for me. Pillows here horrible. I had a cushy seat cushion on my saddle, I had to take that off it nearly made me cry.

Good luck with it.
                                    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Comment

Did it twice. Once in college slipping on some steps and once a few years ago falling off my horse. The second time was much worse, but I was much older! Whoever posted about bending over at the sink - when I read that my whole body shuddered. Man I know the exact pain. It took a pretty long time to be back to normal. Still several years later sitting for long periods of time, especially without moving is a killer. Riding for really long periods, not so good. I wish you luck - it SUCKS. What you need more than anything is patience. It is so easy to make it angry. If you really take a break it will be easier than doing too much and extending it a much longer time. Be patient - you will probably make it to show season. I will be jingling for you!

Comment

I fractured mine trying to step around a wheelbarrow and fell on concrete 17 years ago and it still hurts when I sit for too long. It sucks big time. I just wish if I had to fracture it I was doing something cool to make it happen instead of being in pain and covered in poop.

Comment

Working...
                                        X