Sport Horse Spotlight

calucci_cf_sq

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

A project found me! Essa's Storm - 6-month update #38

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A project found me! Essa's Storm - 6-month update #38

OK, more like a rescue but I'm optimistic.

It started off as helping a friend in a pinch and grew from there. My husband saw this 10-year-old OTTB mare, just surfing ads for no particular reason. We're perfectly comfy with the two we have at home and our daughter's horse, who is boarded for training. Turns out he knows the owner from baseball. She bought Essa in October for her daughter, but they were losing their chores-for-board arrangement and had to sell. The ad pictures didn't look too bad but the ad could be better, and there's drama at the place they kept her. So we offered to bring Essa home for a couple of weeks to clean her up and help with selling her.

The horse we picked up on Thursday wasn't quite the one in the pictures, and we were told she'd had a hard winter. She has no neck, and after initial reluctance she loaded on the trailer for a fistful of hay. She settled in one of our empty stalls and attacked the hay like it was her last meal. Well, we've had a Welsh X pony so that's not so strange...

Friday morning I took off her blankets to put on a rainsheet. I just about cried.

Clearly this was not a two-week fix. I told the owner she just wasn't saleable as-is, and we'd like to keep her though April and see how she does.

I body-scored her at 2, thankfully closer to a 3 than a 1. With a little research I learned about refeeding syndrome. OK, even more of a project. So I took away her hay - that was tough to do - and set her on small frequent feeds through the weekend, following this article-

http://animalscience.ag.utk.edu/hors...orseASH155.pdf

I even took hay out at 3:00am to keep her on track.

She already seemed brighter on Sunday!

We discussed all of this with the owner - it'll be much longer than April to get Essa back on track. I will have the vet out in a week or two - our other horses are due for shots/floating/etc. anyway - and if there's nothing critical wrong with her, we've offered to buy her. Not at all what I had in mind 4 days ago, but if Essa is sane and sound I think it's her best chance.

She raced through 2010, and I think that being fit though most of her life must be helping, even in this sorry state. I'm hoping that she will keep her sweet nature once she's in better shape.

Her pedigree:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/essas+storm

I've (barely) started a blog for her that I really hope to keep current. I just want to keep track of everything! I was lucky enough to find a couple of "prime" pictures of her. Yes, I'm crazy but I'd love to know what you think!

http://essas-storm.blogspot.ca/
    Last edited by cada931; Sep. 19, 2014, 10:37 PM. Reason: Title
    http://essas-storm.blogspot.ca/ An OTTB rescue/project found me!

Thank you for doing this.
    PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)]

Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

WOW 15 green star mares in her TB pedigree. http://www.reines-de-course.com/reines_history.htm

Good for you. You're going to get to see something very amazing, the process is enlightening. So heart breaking for these lovely creatures that trust us for their care.
      The cue card kid just held up an empty cue card. For a minute there I thought I had lost my sense of humor. --- Red Skelton

Comment

Originally posted by pony grandma View Post
        WOW 15 green star mares in her TB pedigree. http://www.reines-de-course.com/reines_history.htm

Good for you. You're going to get to see something very amazing, the process is enlightening. So heart breaking for these lovely creatures that trust us for their care.
        She hits almost all the big male names, too, with one single instance of well-spaced RAN inbreeding. Serviceable if not spectacular race record herself. What a nice mare and good she's got someone now to get her in better shape (to be honest I expected much worse from the description before I saw the "now" pictures.) Once you've got her weight up and some shine back in her coat she's going to be a gem.
        Author Page
        Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
        Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

WAY TO GO!!! You'll have a really nice mare there once you get her fat and sassy again; from experience, I give her until June to look like a different horse.
          When they're young, have good basic health underneath, and did not starve for a terribly long time, they pop back up pretty fast; and I've sure seen 'em skinnier than she is.

Congratulations on a great project, and may she repay you a thousandfold!

Comment

• Original Poster

pony grandma and danceronice, thanks for weighing in on her pedigree! I'd never heard of green star or reines-de-course.

I might have been conservative in assessing her condition but I've never seen a horse in that shape before and I wanted to make sure I didn't overdo the feeding.

Vet will be out on Wed, so it will be interesting to hear what she has to say.

Comment

She will be lovely! Good luck with her and post your blog updates I have a soft spot for OTTB mares

Comment

• Original Poster

I should clarify one thing. The current owner bought Essa when she was underweight, hoping to help her out. She made some progress but it was lost over the winter. There may have been some turnout dominance issues.

She had some bad advice/enabling when she got her, realizes it was too much to take on, and is very grateful for our help.

Comment

I don't know if you know the Seattle Slew story. He was purchased for a mere $17,500 which in the racing world is basement. https://espn.go.com/classic/biograph...ttle_Slew.html

http://www.pedigreequery.com/seattle+slew

He had 16 green star mares in his pedigree and this was before the designation was developed and awarded to the outstanding mare producers. You only find them in the tail generations b/c it takes that kind of time to produce the stats to earn the star. But those 16 stars can help explain how Slew became so successful.

You have yourself a diamond in the rough. You are keeping her??? She WILL bond ! You will be blessed with the heart of a mare. I will PM you when I have time, I am in a very similar situation.
                  The cue card kid just held up an empty cue card. For a minute there I thought I had lost my sense of humor. --- Red Skelton

Comment

She may not be that hard to get going with plenty of good hay eventually - hopefully. I had my guy out in pasture board 24/7 last year. As I jumped up and down and screamed to the BO to give him more hay in March, and she refused, he came out of that barn quite ribby, although I'll admit noticeably so after shedding - where I see your girl is even with the coat.

Mine was noticeably different every week. Big change in just a month. So many do not understand what they need in the winter, and sometimes can't, or are stubborn about, giving it. Especially if they don't bother to look under that blanket.

Thank you for stepping up.
                    But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by pony grandma View Post
                      I don't know if you know the Seattle Slew story. He was purchased for a mere $17,500 which in the racing world is basement. https://espn.go.com/classic/biograph...ttle_Slew.html

http://www.pedigreequery.com/seattle+slew

He had 16 green star mares in his pedigree and this was before the designation was developed and awarded to the outstanding mare producers. You only find them in the tail generations b/c it takes that kind of time to produce the stats to earn the star. But those 16 stars can help explain how Slew became so successful.

You have yourself a diamond in the rough. You are keeping her??? She WILL bond ! You will be blessed with the heart of a mare. I will PM you when I have time, I am in a very similar situation.
                      I'd love to hear from you when you have time! I have a 17-year-old OTTB gelding that I've gotten into nice shape, but I've never done anything like this.

Comment

Good for you op! She landed in well deserved clover with you and she has an impressive pedigree and race record. Best wishes for a wonderful future for her.

Comment

• Original Poster

I had the vet out today to check Essa out, and she did quite well.

Based on the history I've been able to put together - thanks, Google! - Essa got the usual core vaccines and shouldn't need a West Nile Virus booster.

She didn't care for having her teeth checked at all. I had to push her back into her stall, and I could feel her heart going like a rabbit! But with a light tranq the vet was able to do a manual float, which should help her get more out of her hay.

Results from the fecal sample will determine whether she is up-to-date and can be wormed with the other two, or whether she will need her own routine.

Her legs are pretty clean and consistent with her race history. We didn't look at her movement at all - that can wait until she's in better weight. The verdict today was that aside from weight, no dire issues are apparent that would keep her from doing the kind of low-level work I'd like to do with her.

She's been getting 6 lb of hay 4 times a day since Monday. The vet said she should be fine with free choice anytime now but I think I'll stick to the guidelines I've been following. That will give her 9 lb 3 times a day for the next week starting tomorrow. Then I can start adding grain and beet pulp. I'm sure Essa will be very happy about that. She knows what dinner time is when Cody and Honey get grain, and she knows that she isn't getting any.

Comment

Any chance she got bred and then got the caslicks? I know some breeders do it after they have bred mares with a certain conformation. When the mare gets close to the due date they unstitch. I think it used to be much more common that all broodmares were caslicked once confirmed in foal.

Just food for though. You might be getting a two-fer.
                            Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

She looks exactly like my boy did when I got him. It took about a year to get him in good shape, with light work along the way. I too was afraid he'd suffer a personality change after his recovery, but ten years later and he's still a big puppy dog. I hope you find the process as rewarding as I did! Nothing like a good OTTB.
                              "Je suis Pony Owner."

Comment

• Original Poster

I was able to find out some more about her history, and updated the blog.

http://essas-storm.blogspot.ca/

She is settling in very well, and has good manners. Hopefully the farrier will be out next week. It sounds like her last trim was in December, so her feet look pretty solid if that's the case. I'm not putting a lot of stock in what I hear about her care

Comment

Bless you and thank you so much for taking her in!

Comment

I just finished a similar project. Starved quarter horse. 5 months later, good to go, full of personality.....

Comment

• Original Poster

Hi, I've posted a few more updates on the blog. Essa is officially ours! She's caught up with the vet, farrier, and worming now, eating all the time and LOVES her grain and beet pulp at dinnertime She continues to be a sweet, well-mannered girl - although she loves mud like a boy.

The next issue will be figuring out how to ease her back into work - no rush!

Comment

This is her last race at the Fort, in case you wanted to see it.

http://replays.robertsstream.com/rac...1109201244FCM1
                                        What you allow is what will continue.

Comment

Working...
                                        X