• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

When did your horse start showing their age?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did your horse start showing their age?

My horse is 15 this year, he raced til he was 3 then sat around for a few years then I got him at 6. We putted around for a little while and just last year got more serious about competing in the jumpers.

Never been lame and started getting his hocks done last year. Otherwise immaculately cared for with regular chiro and dental work. Stays pretty fit year round and gets high quality hay and feed, plenty of turnout.

I guess I am just a worry-wart because he is a such a good soul and a real "try-er", he'll do whatever I ask. I just worry that he won't tell me when it becomes too hard for him. He is my heart horse, my forever horse and he'll always have a home with me but I don't want to retire him too soon or too late.

How did you know it was time to take a step back? What age was your horses when they started acting their age? (I know that like with people it is an individual thing)
    Last edited by Toaster; Mar. 28, 2014, 03:39 PM.

Well, the horse I lease is 27 and acts like he's 3 and still on the racetrack. His face and neck have been getting grayer and grayer for about the past 8 years, but he hasn't slowed down at all. I jumped him 3'6" (my first time ever, possibly his first time ever) at 21. I really need to get him back in work, he misses it.. when I do get on him, we end up practically passaging and doing all sorts of fancy sideways movements when I just want him to walk.

Your horse is 15. He's in the prime of his life. Relax and enjoy him.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Comment

My 20 year old has not started to show her age yet. I retired my son's first pony from jumping at age 28 because he started refusing 18" jumps - not only with his 8 year old rider, but with me, too. I figured something must be hurting him. He continued to be ridden and loved mounted games until I gave him a mandatory retirement at age 32.

Comment

My first event horse never really showed his age, but was euthanized by his then-owners at age 25, when he went blind in his one remaining eye. He had been hunted the fall/winter before and the vet commented on what a shame it was to put down a 100% healthy horse except for his sight. I had no say in the matter, and they had taken very good care of him up until then, but they didn't feel prepared to cope with a totally blind horse. Sigh.

My old event horse (retired to H/J at 18, retired to trail at 20) didn't show his age until he was injured at age 22. A friend who had him at that time rehabbed him and even took him to a show at age 25, but he was showing his age by then - though he tended to get FAT rather than thin. He died at age 27 from a freak injury that we still haven't figured out how it happened (alone in his paddock/run-in shed). Vet said injury required trauma on the level of being hit by a car, but there was no sign of ANYTHING on him or his surroundings.

My next horse was arthritic enough at 20 that I only trail rode him for the next two years (but he LOOKED good), and then I retired him to pasture, since I was unable to find a lessee interested in a "trail horse only - light riding" horse. He was fine for a year, but at 22.5 began to drastically loose weight. I had him checked out by vets, we poured food into him, but he did not improve. Their "best guess" diagnosis was lymphoma. At that stage, he looked pretty thin and old, but they said he wasn't in pain, so I continued to pour the food into him. At age 24, in the spring, he stopped eating one day, ran a fever, and generally went drastically downhill in a hurry. It was time.

So, in general, the horses I have had have not "showed their age" until they were into their mid-20s. I was told by the breeder of one of my horses that he still had my horse's dam and she was still bucking and running around like a colt at age 37. She had "retired" from (winning) gymhana competitions at age 31!!

ETA: All three of the above horses were Appaloosas, the first two foundation bred (but BIG horses), and the third a race bred TB cross Appy.

Comment

My TB did not start to look old until he was 25. I retired him around that time too because he started losing his eyesight and his confidence under saddle. He has been very sound his whole life and still is at 30.

Comment

Mark Todd and Charisma won TWO Individual Gold Medals in the 3-day at the 1984 and 1988 Olympics. Charisma was 12 in '84 and 16 in '88. And in those days they ran the long format, so endurance day looked like this: Roads & Tracks/ Steeplechase/ Roads & Tracks/ XC.
            Fifteen isn't old for a sound, healthy horse!

Comment

King did not quit jumping with me until he was 26! Though, I will say the fences were shorter from about 23.

To answer your question about how do you know when to cut back? King started to stumble at the canter. I took him to have x-rays of his hocks, and we had them injected that one time. But when I saw the x-rays, I knew we were done. I was not going to keep going until he was crippled. We were at a good stopping point. I decided to buy the farm then and bring him home. He continued to be a good riding horse for years, just no jumping. Then, he was relegated to the granddaughter (Lexi), for whom he would have gladly given his last breath. They had worlds of fun together until the old man passed away about 18 months ago.

I have a 21 year old WB (Elijah) who started looking older this past year, but I can't decide whether it's because he's older or because losing King (at age 31) was so hard on him

I have an 18-year-old OTTB who acts like he is five. He is a little stiff going to the right, but actually he warms up out of it pretty quick. He is amazing.

My two "younger" horses are 14 and 16, but I keep them at 14 in my mind. I don't think they really start to age, if they have good care and are not competing hard, until about 20. So, Rocky and Parker will remain teenagers until they become old men.

Comment

Good topic, thanks OP. Hits home.

My two 26-year-olds both started to look a little "old" this winter. I don't know how much to blame the sadistically bad weather, which kept them cooped up more than usual and reduced the frequency of riding.

The Oldenburg looks great, but her back suddenly seems a bit dippy and she has a few flat surfaces where there used to be big ol' Arnold Schwarzenegger muscles. She is sound as ever, and the big warmblood spook is still there. She is grumpy about getting back into full work, but that is not unusual:-)

The Morgan worries me. I feel like he has begun to go downhill. He lost SO much of his muscling--looks potbellied and skinny-necked to me, although vet says he's OK. He has also been very very hard to warm up...takes about 40-50 minutes before he moves out well...he stumbles occasionally in warm-up if I don't give him a very steady rein to lean on. Then he is apparently fine, wants to motor and still extends/collects nicely.

I know there is an inevitable point when both will need to retire, but I am feeling rather broken-up as I see it approaching, especially for the little black knucklehead. The thoughts on "when and how much" to ease off are super useful.

Comment

My last horse moved up to Prelim eventing at 15. I think this is one of those times when really knowing your horse is important. If they are still eager to do their jobs and feel happy and comfortable, I think they are better off in work. (Honestly I think most people are better off working too but that is a different topic.

Comment

With the care available now, horse age has really shifted. I know many, many horses who are happy being ridden and competed well into their 20s, although they may go down a little in difficulty. I think the horses enjoy having a job with the attention and interaction.
                    Keeping an eye on the little things, like teeth and joints, pays off with the big things. Feed the best senior (I love Triple Crown) and keep on top of worming.So is pampering them especially when its hot and cold, especially encouraging water in the winter/ Their teeth can get sensitive to cold and they'll quit drinking.
                    My vet always said that horses are like older people, they're fine until one thing goes wrong (like in people breaking a hip) and then they go downhill fast.
                    I think most will let you know if they need to take a step back if you are attuned to them.

Comment

It wasn't all that long ago it was rare to see a horse at the Olympic level younger than 14 or so. Living outside goes a long way to keeping them young.

Comment

Our 30 year old was fat and sassy when he injured his knee beyond repair bucking and playing running in from the pasture.
                        As the vet told us, he didn't look a day older than 15, half his age.
                        We had retired him from kid's playday 4H competition at 25, because his kid moved up and he seemed not to want to go into the arena as happily as he used to.
                        We still rode him in light work moving cattle around.

A friend was giving light rides on her 36 year old and he didn't look old, but he started looking old after that and passed on at 42.

Some times, we assume a horse looks old when there are other problems that makes the horse look poorly, not necessarily his age.

If I remember well, For The Moment was a very competitive Grand Prix horse to about 20 years old and those were not little fences and easy courses he was jumping against much younger competition.

As for how long to use a horse, let the horse tell you.

Comment

Just got home from watching my daughter take a lesson on our 26 year old TB! He has to be ridden at least three days per week or else he gets really stiff. Some days we have to add a lap or two of canter in near the beginning of his warmup to help him get moving a little. He looked awesome jumping through the grid tonight. He doesn't jump as high or as often as in the past but is getting ready for another season of eventing, most likely at the intro level.
                          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

He was 22. He was sound, healthy, happy....just did not enjoy his job anymore. I never asked much of him, but he was ready to retire. We did a year of walking bareback with a halter a few times per week, and then I moved him to a therapeutic riding facility. It gives him something to keep him busy but isn't physically demanding for him. He's a solid, chunky, steady and balanced horse.

He's really aged a bit in the last year. He doesn't look "oh wow....he's looking old..." but he definitely looks older to me.

He's a big hairy beast, not bad for 25.

Comment

My Heart horse was a big foundation bred Appy. He didn't show his age til near the end at 27. He always tended to be fat as he got older. His registered name was Red Rum, and we evented, hunted, did dressage and team penning. I couldn't let him suffer with penile cancer and let him go last spring after 26 wonderful years.
                              The greatest gift you can ever give is taking their pain away and making it your own. Wear that pain like a tribute to the love you shared. Laurierace

Comment

Around 20 my guy slowed down. Enjoy every moment you have together no matter what their age!

Comment

• Original Poster

You guys are great, I'm so glad I don't have worry for a little while longer.

Comment

Now at age 22, my Percheron looks and feels her age. She's had a rough 3 years and they've all caught up. Unless she starts to gain some weight back, this will be her last summer.
                                    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Our mare, 22, is not showing her age. She has bee retired from jumping for a while due to ring one, but she is still bright eyed, healthy, shiny and ready to go for hacks. As a typical clyde x, she would rather jig the whole way (or canter) rather than just walk. She needs to lose weight... she looks at hay/grass and the lbs add up. Sigh... and it's not possible to ride/work her enough to keep her slim.

Our gelding is 21 but he looks older than the mare. His former owner did a lot of jumper competitions at the national level, then ignored him for 6 years, took him back for 6 months and then we bought him for $1. I think the combination of lots of jumping and the residues of a trailer accident years ago is showing. He lost all his muscle tone on his back and has a hay belly... Hopefully, this spring, my DD will start riding him again but time and distance is not on her side. I intend to hand walk him up the hills on the farm when winter is finally over. Good for both of us.

both will be wearing grazing muzzles this spring...

Comment

My mare will turn 21 next week. She is a very dark bay and starting to gray just a tiny bit around her eyes (she has NO white on her save a few white hairs in the middle of her forehead, so they gray is noticable). After years of her being the babysitter to a number of green horses I started, she is now my only horse and I hope to finally do something with her, lol. I plan on just moving forward, focusing on dressage and maybe some lower distance endurance rides and just continually evaluating her.

She's a Morgan, they tend to be healthy, sound, and long lived, and she LOVES to work, so I think any change in her attitude towards work will be a key indicator for me. I am hoping, however, to have many, many years left with her, at whatever level she's comfortable with.

Comment

Working...
                                        X