• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

When did your horse start showing their age?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a 25 yr old New Zealand TB that is finally starting to show his age. His topline is finally starting to sag just the tiniest bit. Now, he has a coat like a Yak but in the 3 winters he's been with me as a companion to my horse he always looked like that. The last 2 summers while he shed out completely, his haircoat has remained a bit on the long side. Long enough that I actually gave him a full clip last summer and considering the extreme heat and humidity we had, I'm glad I did. I've had him tested annually for Cushing's but so far his results are in the normal range.

My horse is 22 yrs and his topline was never great but then he's got a long back and showed sag when I bought him as a 7 yr old. Not much sag but still low. As far as a winter coat on my boy, it's about normal. He also has tested OK for Cushing's thus far.
    Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

My old guy never competed before 13, then proceeded to foxhunt, do dressage, trail ride for probably 12 hours per week AND event Training Level through age 21. At that point he strained a check ligament and I thought that might be a good time to stop Eventing him, but he came back from it and remained sound and usable through age 30; when he very suddenly turned into a "little old man."
      I put him down from an intestinal twist at almost 32.

Another horse I had seemed utterly ageless; was passing for 15 everywhere, hunter pacing, going Western in shows, taking off with people on the trails until a kick from another horse finally took him out at age (again!) 32.

Growing up, we had a number of beginner school horses still working in fine style well into their late twenties and beyond.

Some things to be aware of as horses get older: longer warmup, longer cool-down, more attention to pain-based sources of "resistance." The more turnout, the better! 24/7 if you can swing it.

We have SO many more resources for them today; better feeds, deworming, meds, etc. so ride and enjoy the best years of his life! He may not be "old" for a very long time!

Comment

My guy just turned 19 yesterday. He's got a little extra grey coming out of his star, but otherwise looks 12. He's a TB and hasn't had it exactly rough these last 5-6 years or so. Granted, he also gets a ton (12+ hours a day) on hills and we don't do a lot of strenuous work. We hack around and have fun on the hills.

ETA: I did start him on MSM just this week, but the vet prescribed it more for his allergies than his joints. Honestly, I'm a little worried that if he IS "ouchie" and this takes care of it, he'll be too hot to handle. I keep waiting for him to be a settled down old man.
        "Je suis Pony Owner."

Comment

Honestly, I'm a little worried that if he IS "ouchie" and this takes care of it, he'll be too hot to handle. I keep waiting for him to be a settled down old man.
          I've had my mare for 13 years, and she was a handful (to say the least) for the first few of those. I remember telling my friend at the time "at least by the time she is 20, she'll mellow out". Um, no, she regularly reminds me that age is only a state of mind! And in her mind, she still has days where she feels like a filly again.

Comment

My AQHA gelding is 21 and just last year started showing his age a bit. I limited his showing to four or five classes per day. I debated about not showing him at all and am glad he told me he was up to it as we were high point for the year in both of our over fences classes.

This year I think I will use another horse for the flat classes and just do the two jumping classes with him. He loves it so I hate to leave him at home.

Comment

I do admit I like to brag that the two of us with combined ages are probably thirty years older than any other team we show against.

Comment

I stopped eventing my TB at 19 because I was pregnant- he could have kept going no problem. I never really got back in the saddle and at 25 he really does look old now. Last summer he looked great- but by fall he really started to look older. He seems to still be doing well and enjoys being brushed and fed treats. He walks a little slower than he used to.

Comment

My TB Gelding was basically a 4 year old until he turned 19, when he suddenly became a 24 year old. About a year and a half ago, at 20, he got a nasty sinus infection, and though he's still in relatively good health, he hasn't really picked up 100%. He's totally a pasture pet right now, and though I hope he thrives, I'm prepared to accept that this might be his last summer.

Comment

It's probably a little like people.... some will show their age younger and others later. My 22 show hunter is still showing. She does show her age in that when she grows her winter coat and has the winter off she loses all muscle mass on her topline and she looks like an overgrown goat. But the coat comes off and she gets brought back to fitness slowly and she's a beautiful show hunter. Everyone is shocked when I tell them she's 22. She certainly doesn't know it. Your horse will tell you.
                    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Comment

My mare Feronia will be 16 in a few weeks. She does have some arthritis but it's managed well enough that most people would never guess. The management has definitely become more intensive (and more expensive!) over time. When I put her into full training at age 10, the trainer thought she was 4 or 5, and most people can't believe she's in her teens. When she's having a Morgan day (ha!) I regularly get asked if she is a "young one!"

I have noticed her back has dropped just a tiny bit... again, something that no one who doesn't know her would ever notice.

The two in the RIP photo below, Trump and Minnie, didn't show their age, really, until a year or so before they died, at ages 21 and 26 respectively.

There is a 23 year old Morgan mare at my barn who is still quite a handful, and the only way you can tell that she's older is that her back has dropped, and she's grey under her forelock.
                      You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

My Arab just turned 29 this month and he acts just the same as he always has. This year he's gotten some gray sprinkles on his face and a few here and there on his body. He's built downhill so his back has always looked a bit dippy.

A few years ago he became very lethargic and lost condition but it turned out to be Cushings. Now, with Pergolide he looks great. He lost weight this winter, but that turned out to be mild ulcers; Uckele's G.U.T. has turned him around and he's a piggy again. Dentist says his teeth are great.

So far the combination of joint sups, all inexpensive, that I've been using have worked better than anything I've used before. He gets regular Masterson Method treatments from me and wears BOT hock boots and leg wraps before riding; all of these things have turned back the clock.

I'm hoping he'll be just the same 5+ years from now. I should feel this good.

Comment

My old TB is 30, and I have had him 26 years. Mentally he has always been a crabby old man, which made him an excellent teacher of manners for foals. He was evented and foxhunted, now he does dressage and takes me on trail rides. Twice he was semi-retired due to arthritic hocks, but the joints fused. His back is low, he's getting a lot of grey on his face and in his forelock.

Last summer my two year old grand nephew had his first horse ride on him. My nephew, his father, also had his first horse ride on him when the nephew was about the same age.

He is out on pasture 24/7, weather and bugs permitting. We go out on looong trail walks, especially in spring. He is missing teeth, and we watch his weight very closely. He's always seemed a bit stiff, but warms up out of it. I still use him for dressage lessons, which he loves. And he still throws hissy fits when we don't go with his program.

I just hope when the end comes it is quick for him, or that I will be able to make THE decison.

Comment

My old mare is 25yo. She was born in Argentina, bred to play polo. She played high goal polo for about a decade. Then she was donated to a university's polo club where she did lessons for years. The club shut down and she was sold to a terrible h/j farm (I don't object to the discipline as a whole...these people were just morons) where they tried to "slow her down" and ultimately just gave her a nasty attitude and a rearing problem and she started chucking kids. She wound up on Craigslist and I bought her from the idiots. Within two weeks she was giving beginner lessons...bitless at 20something. She's a jumping machine, she just isn't ever going to do it in classic hunter style. She'll safely pack anyone over jumps though.

She's about 25 now. As of last summer I was jumping her 4ft occasionally (3ft on a regular basis) and she didn't bat an eye. She's potentially permanently retired at this point due to a pasture injury this past fall. She's one that likes to work and hasn't ever been unsound a day in her life besides that injury. If she hadn't done that, I see no reason why she wouldn't still be in full work and jumping. She's certainly acting bored with no work for the last several months.

Comment

My Morgan just turned 15. He has not slowed down a bit, but I start noticing grey hair above his eyes, and to be honest, I'm getting a bit panicky. I have wonderful youngsters coming up but I don't know whether any will ever measure up up to him, smart, powerful, and a wonderful disposition. He is a hot pistol but that hotness is never uncontrolled. I mean, he can GO like you were riding a tidal surf, and yet we can work on serious dressage works and have a herd of loose horses galloping and playing right next to us and he never loses focus on me. I don't think I can take it if I should lose him.

Comment

Well Gloria, you will lose him. We lose them all unless we die before they do. Unfortunately it is the price we have to pay for having them on our lives.
                                McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

I know, Laurierace, and that is why I'm panicky

Comment

15 is young for a Morgan. They're usually sound and healthy well into their late 20's or early 30's* so don't panic yet. I've seen many of the darker colored ones get that grey/white tuft of hair under their forelock. Don't think I've seen that with regularity in any other breed.

*Please don't let him get overweight or out of shape. Almost every older Morgan I've known has foundered, often from untreated Cushings and/or obesity (IR).

Comment

It's also usually a gradual decline...can't hold the canter, a bit of trouble doing things that used to come easy, the boisterious horse starts to mellow out (a bit), the easy keeper becomes hard to keep weight on, and the horse you never had to blanket, you blanket by November. My guy started slowing down at 20 but at 22 had some other issues going on. The decline can become faster the older they are- my guy became very lame and colicky due to his Cushings & IR and was put down in the span of a week (at 24). I would rather have that though than an elderly horse who is really having difficulty or suffering in some way.

At 15, your guy is still in his prime!

Comment

I think your guy is fine.

We put down my husband's Appy at 30 from squamous cell carcinoma. His body/topline looked like he was in his teens. Still full of p&v and general appytude.

My mare will be 19 soon. I don't dare tell her. Besides some general wear and tear from past injuries (doing the splits on the ice, kick to the tendon), there would be little evident of her age.

I don't think she looks "old" at all

So I think just keep listening to the horse and if he is enjoying his job, go for it!
                                        Semi Feral

Comment

Our 16 y.o. paint eventer is in his prime, in my opinion. I believe a lot of it has to do with the fact that he was not ridden hard until he was 6-7 years old. He had time to physically mature. I have him on a mid-level joint supplement and a senior pro-bio/digestive supplement, just to keep him healthy and happy.

I am curious- if your horse has never been lame, why is he having his hocks injected? Not a criticism, just wondering why it was started.

Comment

Working...
                                          X