• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Reading Children's Books as an Adult - the Things You See Differently

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a series of books with the same female character.

Silver Birch
    Midnight Moon
    Golden Boy

As I child I read them over and over, as an adult I think, "Where were the adults in that girl's life?"

I loved the Black Stallion books, the Island Stallion, enjoyed but didn't love the Flicka books. I too HATED the Red Pony.

Comment

when we read those books as kids, most of us had little or no idea of the real world and just loved horses and so wanted to be the characters in the books! I did always have more connection in the books written by real horsemen and could just sense it was more accurate. I have bought some old favorites off Ebay just to reread and get a chuckle out of!
      There have been lots of reruns on tv of old westerns and some of the horse stuff on there is now laughable compared to how we viewed it back then! I watched an episode of the Rifleman that involved the theft of a famous "steel dust stallion" Horse turns up at a dealer who has dyed him chestnut and sells him to the locals. Horse is a gelding, appers quite senior and pretty much average kind of guy. Still in all, kind of fun to watch with more knowledge than 40 years ago!

Comment

I read The Black Stallion probably twenty times in my youth and loved it. My first year of teaching I had a low level 8th grade group for reading, mostly boys, and we read the book together.
        I was surprised at how simple the writing was, the poor dialogue, and how far fetched most of the story was. Of course the story was still enjoyable and my students read it and I even saw a couple of them pick up another book in the series.
        We also watched the movie as a test, they had to list a certain number of details that were incorrect. That was fun for all of us.

Comment

I got my first pony at the same time I read Pamela and the Blue Mare, which has now become a high priced item on ebay. A friend found a copy for me and I re- read it recently and was amazed at what a great training tool it was. I remember trying to train my pony (later horses) exactly like Pamela trained the blue mare (which she named Frosty Morning) and how well the training plan worked for me through the years- even into my pro years. Now I realize it was Vladimir Littauers' wonderful program as he wrote it in "Schooling your Horse," which I also read. He was great on "stabilization," which meant first teaching your horse to travel calmly at all gaits on a loose rein. I never could get my sweet mare Goldie to walk, though. Jig,jig,jig. I should have called her Jiggy. ;-)

In those days I was in Pony Club which also taught much the same methods as Littauer. My first pony was a red roan mustang so I named her Frosty Morning and here I am, all these years later- still honoring this book and my pony- going by the handle FrostyM.

I hated the Red Pony and resent it being used in school. It is disgusting.
          Last edited by Frosty M; Feb. 16, 2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Another hater of The Red Pony checking in here.
            America dialed 911. Donald Trump answered the phone.

Stop pumping money into colleges and start getting ready to earn money in the projected tradesman shortage of 2024. Make Trades Great Again!

Comment

The Red Pony - I forgot how bad it was and accidentally read it again with my son.

I've read several other of my old horse books with him and notice the inconsistencies, etc, but try to just let them go to enjoy the story again.

We just watched Billy Madison last weekend, in which Adam Sandler is forced to go back to school to "pass" every grade in two weeks. When he's in his first grade class the teacher reads a story about a puppy who runs away and in the end comes back home. Billy goes into an expletive-ridden rant about what was so wrong about the kid just sitting on the porch waiting for the puppy and not actively going out to look for it, put up signs, etc. It was pretty funny and a good example of how adults see things differently!

Comment

Hated The Red Pony.

"Golden Boy"? Rutherford G. Montgomery's "The Golden Stallion" and subsequent books?
                "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Comment

Honestly can not see how any of you can put "The Red Pony" on the same level as other horse books written for kids. Red Pony is written by Steinbeck, the literary great and is not designed for a child audience. I think the writing is powerful, and actually really enjoyed the book.

It's like poo-pooing the Grapes of Wrath, because it's not all rainbows and butterflies.

Comment

Originally posted by batman the horse View Post
                    Honestly can not see how any of you can put "The Red Pony" on the same level as other horse books written for kids. Red Pony is written by Steinbeck, the literary great and is not designed for a child audience. I think the writing is powerful, and actually really enjoyed the book.

It's like poo-pooing the Grapes of Wrath, because it's not all rainbows and butterflies.
                    I think it's my hate relationship with short stories (I think it was in a collection of such that I read it)
                    Short stories tend to make zero sense to me.
                    Originally posted by BigMama1
                    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                    GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

I loved the Thoroughbred series. I always wanted to be like Ashleigh or Samantha and grow up on a training farm. I also wanted to be like Christina. I have almost the entire collection, and when I went home last I reread a few. Lol Christina was such a brat and Parker was such and idiot.
                      Talking to some people is like folding a fitted sheet.

Comment

^ I loved the Thoroughbred series as a kid. I wonder what I would think of them now. Same for the Pony Pals series with Lulu, Anna, and Pam.

There was a book I read years ago about a boy becoming close to an old mare. I think the mare was gray and named Beauty. The boy's mom had known the mare as a girl. I remember it having a very sad ending involving a cattle guard. Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Comment

Agreed. The Red Pony is not anywhere near The Black Stallion...just apples and oranges.

The closest thing between them would be the movie scores. The Black Stallion had brilliant cinematography and good musical scoring.
                          If anyone at all ever saw the movie of The Red Pony, the musical score was written by none other than Aaron Copland.
                          You're not going to hear many musical ensembles play Copland's Red Pony, though. I played it with a college wind ensemble (arranged with no strings).
                          There are parts that are REALLY obnoxiously top-heavy at first- flutes in their highest range, piccolo(s), Eb clarinets...no connection, or very little connection, to the bass. (Most of Circus March, and lots of Morning On The Ranch.) It sounds cacophonous and squeaky, even played by accomplished musicians, (and you can hear it from recordings conducted by Copland himself sound pretty much the same).

I have always thought that high, squeaky quality to the musical score represented a boy (and his own, little-boy world) who had no meaningful connection to his father or grandfather.
                          The boy trains the pony, and connects not with his father but with the hired man.
                          And the pony dies...and also the hired man's mare dies (though she lived, in the movie) to represent how that couldn't really work out, either.
                          The music toward the end of the movie is much more balanced, there is more bass and the highest instruments aren't all way up at the top of their range.

But anyway, yeah...Steinbeck wrote about some heavy themes.

Comment

Originally posted by batman the horse View Post

I LOVE The Grapes of Wrath. It's one of my all-time favorites. I also love Of Mice and Men, The Pearl, Tortilla Flat, and Cannery Row, to name a few. Steinbeck is, by far, my favorite writer of his era. His writing is magical in it's realness.

I still hate The Red Pony.

Comment

Originally posted by Sailboats View Post
                              ^ I loved the Thoroughbred series as a kid. I wonder what I would think of them now. Same for the Pony Pals series with Lulu, Anna, and Pam.

There was a book I read years ago about a boy becoming close to an old mare. I think the mare was gray and named Beauty. The boy's mom had known the mare as a girl. I remember it having a very sad ending involving a cattle guard. Does that ring any bells with anyone?

I believe it's called Beauty. And yes, the ending is horrific (IMO worse in some ways than The Red Pony because it is a lot more likely to happen).

Comment

I own Beauty I've gone back and collected some of my favorites, that and The Crumb were top ones for me.

I still can't remember or find one I remember reading, a jumper named Cat Burglar maybe? And he was put down at the end, I think because he was vicious? Or something. I always thought the title was Look of Eagles. Anywho...

I remember reading one of the Black Stallion series, Black Stallion and Grey Lady or something like that, some creepy guy was desperate to breed his mare to the Black, and it got all weird. I was reading way above my age level, so I remember being very confused about a lot of it.
                                COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Originally posted by dressagetraks View Post
                                  Same reaction here to LHOP.

As a child, I remember being annoyed when My Friend Flicka got into Nell and Rob. I wanted to get back with Flicka and Banner and the horses. Rereading as an adult, I can appreciate so many more of the undertones in the story, how Rob was quite similar to Ken, actually, and feel sorry for Nell, trying to steady both of those two dreamers. I really think Flicka is not in fact a children's book. There is a lot of depth in there.
                                  My Friend Flicka and the rest of the series were, indeed, not children's books. I tried to read them when I was a kid but never truly understood them until I was an adult. Same applies to many books of that era that were relegated to children's stories.
                                  Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

Originally posted by TheJenners View Post
                                    I own Beauty I've gone back and collected some of my favorites, that and The Crumb were top ones for me.

I still can't remember or find one I remember reading, a jumper named Cat Burglar maybe? And he was put down at the end, I think because he was vicious? Or something. I always thought the title was Look of Eagles. Anywho...

I remember reading one of the Black Stallion series, Black Stallion and Grey Lady or something like that, some creepy guy was desperate to breed his mare to the Black, and it got all weird. I was reading way above my age level, so I remember being very confused about a lot of it.
                                    Cat Burglar I remember... hmm. I want to say it was another Jean Slaughter Doty book. Unless it was actually in The Crumb?

ETA: Just went upstairs and looked through my horse books and yep, it was The Crumb. He doesn't get put down though, the narrator brings him home and retires him.
                                    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

Originally posted by TheJenners View Post

Wasn't it something like The Black Stallion's Ghost? And she was a baroque
                                      mare working in a circus? That was a strange one.

Comment

I remember loving the horse action in the Walter Farley books, but even as a kid having to work a bit to believe that a what- 9 year old boy(?) could keep a horse in suburbia and train it + ride it in a race. I had a horse in the (country) back yard at that age......and it just didn't compute for me. I read ALL of them, though!
                                        As an adult I love the Black Stallion movie and have no trouble suspending disbelief while watching it. Go figure.

OTOH, Mary O'Hara!!!! Read and reread her fine books while growing up, and still do. SO much more to them than the studio-laundered movie(s).
                                        My Friend Flicka
                                        Thunderhead
                                        The Green Grass of Wyoming

In the same vein, if you love beautiful writing, try Enid Bagnold's "National Velvet". It's a wonderful read, and first and last, a girl-and-horse story.

Not a bad movie at all, but in no way could it capture the loving and lovely descriptions of the English countryside and village life in pre-WWII Britain, or the depth of the family and community relationships that support and define a passionately horse-crazy young girl.
                                        Last edited by Hej; Feb. 18, 2014, 02:18 PM. Reason: bad typing!

Comment

If anyone is looking for a horse POV type book, that has an engaging plot and is beautifully writtten your should check out Birth of the Firebringer. It is written for children but it is one of the few books/series that I have reread more than twice.

Comment

Working...
                                          X