• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Don't Go on This Trail Ride if You Are Afraid of Heights!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep yep yep, bucket list!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Comment

You guys are funny! It looks like a very well maintained, rather wide trail, and these are mules. I've been on narrower, rockier and twistier mountain trails, and the horses we rode had a questionable sense of self-preservation. I had my heart in my throat many times on that trek and we had to get off and walk at times, praying that the horses would follow in our steps, or else...sheer drop off a cliff.

The Grand Canyon is GORGEOUS country tho and, while the mule riding doesn't appeal to me because you're mostly walking, or so I've heard... I would love to hike those trails. I LOVE the photos posted above!
      Some day.
      Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

Blech, I couldn't even watch it. Though i once rode over a small dam when I was 12. It was maybe 40 feet of dam wall straight down on either side and a yard across. I was 12 years old, and my sister ahead of me, having cleared the dam picked up a trot, while i was still on the dam.

I'm telling you this is how lifelong psychological and trust issues are created LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteyPie View Post
          Oh and then they come around the corner and the snow is all over... WHAT IF THEY HIT ICE!!! WHAT THEN, MR. MAN????

I am afraid of heights.

But it was soooo beautiful!
          I have done this trail in FOOT (not on horseback no way, no thanks!!) - and yes, there IS ICE!!! I did the trail in the early spring - started snowing above us as we climbed back up, and conditions did turn icy and slippery. Luckily I had "crampons" and quickly put them on my boots so that I would not slip around.

And yes, you did have to scoot out of the way for the mules to pass.

I am afraid of heights as well - so sheer drop offs + ice was not my favorite part- but is a beautiful place, and was very worth it.

The Angle's Landing Trail in Zion National Park was another one we did on that trip. Again, really tested my fear of heights - but what an amazing place!

up and up!

Don't look down!

Down was more unnerving than up.

But the view is worth it

[edited to add - after googling angle's landing (its been 15+ years since I hiked it, I was a college kid back then), and reading an account of a young girl almost falling to her death (there have been a number of deaths in the last few years due to falls), I don't think I have the nerve to do it again]
          APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

Ok, now I want to go hiking SO BAD!! lol
            Thanks for those gorgeous photos.
            But there is a chain to hang on to.
            That is cheating.

Comment

oh, it is so beautiful... but no way, no how... Do they have to turn around and come back down that trail or does it go down the other side? and I guess going back down would even be worse than going up...

I admire people who do this... esp. for a living!

Comment

Oh Appsolute, those photos were breathtaking! The last one is so unreal it looks like a painting. Gorgeous.

I actually think that looks less scary than the mule photos because of the sturdy-looking chain and posts. I could take it slow...

Did you take the photos? So nice.
                "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

I think I would get over my fear of heights to HIKE that...I trust my feet when they're on the ground. lol

Riding on it? As long as I had a steady, steady, mount, MAYBE. I rode a trail that was absolutely nowhere near that, which was kind of frightening, and only had one or two sections of somewhat steep switchbacks. Granted, moist loose dirt probably slides under hooves a lot easier than Grand Canyon rock does. But, still!
                  Originally posted by katarine
                  I don't want your prayers, tiny cow.
                  Originally posted by Pat9
                  When it's time for a horse to go to a new person, that person will appear. It's pony magic.

Comment

Oh Appsolute, those photos were breathtaking! The last one is so unreal it looks like a painting. Gorgeous.

I actually think that looks less scary than the mule photos because of the sturdy-looking chain and posts. I could take it slow...

Did you take the photos? So nice.
                    I did not take these photos, pulled them off of google images - I went on this hike before the "ditigal era" and have only hard prints (we went when there was a light dusting of snow like THIS - breathtaking).

Zion National Park is an amazing place - I need to get back there soon, I describe it as Yosemite in color (while Yosemite is more "black and white").

As for the chains - and the hike. Yes, they DO give you something to hold on to. But I have a pretty serious fear of heights when it comes to stuff like this (on the top of a bridge or high-rise - great, love the view - somewhere that there is an actual risk of falling to your death? I am petrified). There HAVE been a number of people who have fallen to their death on this trail - chains and all.

Comment

Originally posted by Appsolute View Post
                      [edited to add - after googling angle's landing (its been 15+ years since I hiked it, I was a college kid back then), and reading an account of a young girl almost falling to her death (there have been a number of deaths in the last few years due to falls), I don't think I have the nerve to do it again]
                      Don't know if this is true but it makes sense: a friend told me that most people who fall to their deaths in the Grand Canyon do so in the process of taking photos or otherwise leaning out or stepping out too far for a view. So "pilot error" is the usual cause of falls and can be prevented with care and common sense.

I know there is a book at the visitors center/gift shop with details about all the people who have died at the canyon. Decades ago when the facilities were not so established, many would disappear at night when they would get up to go to the bathroom, just take a wrong turn and go off edge.
                      "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I would much rather ride my saintly QH...
                        come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Comment

If anyone hikes or rides this trail, please consider doing a helmet cam. Would love to watch the ride.
                          The virtual "woodshed" seems the only remedy for willful fools .

Comment

Don't know if this is true but it makes sense: a friend told me that most people who fall to their deaths in the Grand Canyon do so in the process of taking photos or otherwise leaning out or stepping out too far for a view. So "pilot error" is the usual cause of falls and can be prevented with care and common sense.
                            I agree, but after reading this story:

Close call on Angels Landing still haunts California cop (about a young girl who took her hand off the chain when letting people pass - started to slip, and... almost fell to her death.) The story ends with a list of 6 people who have fallen to their death along that stretch between 2006-2012.

I am sure the deaths are very RARE - and mostly people not prepared or paying attention, but I have only one real phobia - and that is heights, and it has come up as an issue out backpacking off trail (scooting along a granite face with a river below is not my idea of fun). You are NOT getting me up high on a ladder (no way, no how!), and coming back down the top of that Angel's landing trail really pushed my limits. KNOWING that it is possible to slip and fall (even though very very unlikely) tends to throw me into a panic.

So I agree, risk is small, its a well traveled trail - but maybe not the first pick for those with height phobias.

Comment

We went to Zion years and years ago, before we had kids, on a camping trip. We only hiked the bottom of the canyon (IN the river). Which was a lot of fun too, but I wish I'd known about this high trail.
                              We also hiked in Bryce Canyon, Canyon de Shelly (9 hour hike, with a Navajo guide), Canyonland, Arches, lake Powell.. it was a great trip. I even coerced my DH and in-laws to go on a 2 hour horseback ride with me in Monument Valley. (in-laws were sore for days afterwards, )

Comment

re: mules: at least that section of trail is wide enough to get off and the mules aren't packing. Why do they say the hiker has to be on the drop side of the trail? because I got stuck on the drop side of a steep slopeside trail once here in Haiti, couldn't scramble upslope out of the way at the point where the pack pony reached me. The pack basket swung out and bumped me as we passed, and my center of gravity got pushed over the edge. I had to dive for a clump of grass to avoid a plenty-too-long drop, and wound up hanging off the trail by two hands and a foot and plenty of scrambling.
                                HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
                                www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Comment

Reminds me of riding the Knife Edge Trail in Kauai, Hawaii. (I painted this watercolor there quite a few years ago--the stable uses it on their website: http://kauaihorses.com/files/2009/11...therainbow.gif)

The Knife Edge Trail is just what it sounds like--not for anyone who doesn't like skinny trails or looking down from wa-a-a-ay up high. But the little Arab cross trail horses navigated that pass as nonchalantly as if they were walking down the barn aisle.

My guide told me of a pair of so-called dressage riders who'd been on that ride. First they complained about the western saddles, then they complained about the footing. Then they tried to put their trail horses into a frame. And when they got to the Knife Edge Pass, they turned green, got off and walked! So for the honor of dressage and English riders, I stayed on, let my horse have his head, didn't complain and had a great time!

Comment

Did the ride years ago when I was much younger (and braver). It was such an amazing life experience for me. The pictures I took along the way just couldn't do justice to the beauty. Phantom Ranch was really neat too.
                                    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Comment

This will make a nice addition to my NOPE!book.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
                                      SA Ferrana Moniet 1988-2011
                                      CP Trilogy 2002-2015
                                      My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Comment

Working...
                                      X