• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

another sale ad - would you let your daughter do this?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another sale ad - would you let your daughter do this?

http://www.stampedeauction.com/item.php?id=4476#image

Cute photos but my first reaction is that looks very dangerous.
    Success is a journey not a destination.
  • Original Poster

http://www.stampedeauction.com/item.php?id=4476#image

Cute photos but my first reaction is that looks very dangerous.

Comment

I'm pretty astounded that that is allowed to happen, espically when I think about how much my own mother worries for my safety just while riding in the proper equipment.
      <><

Comment

This just makes me worry.
        Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
        Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Comment

Am I looking at it wrong or does she have very odd "private parts"???
          Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you? You are at your very best when things are worst.
          Starman

Comment

Which picture are you looking at, JoZ?

Comment

Sure I would put my child underneath a horse like that!! While I'm at it, maybe Is should try letting him jump off the brooklyn bridge, and then let him ride a bull!

Seriously, what idiots

Comment

No, I wouldn't. But I have caught myself in some very odd and precarious positions lately trying to clean my horse's feet while coping with my pretty serious back pain. I am hoping that he knows I am where I am.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BelladonnaLily:
                  Which picture are you looking at, JoZ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one that is large when you first click. What am I seeing between her hind legs?

I hope I'm not embarrassing myself. It IS very early in the a.m. where I am...
                  Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you? You are at your very best when things are worst.
                  Starman

Comment

I would not encourage my children (don't have any) to do that, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't.

They're kids for God's sake! It can't be any worse then riding backwards, jumping bareback with a halter over a picnic table, or swimming in a lake with the horse.

I gave a riding lesson to a 10 yo relative who's new to horses on my giant gelding. When she got done brushing one side of him I reminded her to get the other side, so she just walked under his stomach (brushed that while she was there) and started on the other side!

I about died, and I did correct her, but I made sure to give my horse lots of praise for being a good boy.

My point is, it's not the correct or exactly safe thing to do but I'd rather know that my kid's pony is completely and utterley bombproof and wont hurt my child no matter what stupid kid things they do.

Although I do think giving a kid a snowwhite pony is a cruel joke!
                    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

It looks like the mare is possibly pregnant or recently foaled and has a full udder. Just my guess.

Comment

The text of the ad says she accidentally 'got in with a QH stallion, so she might be bred but is being sold as open'

mrd is probably right...its a 2fer deal!

Comment

She got in with the stallion last month! Either she also/already had an '05 baby in the oven, or...

Anyway, a kid not under constant supervision is going to do this kind of stuff. I'd want to buy a pony who could take it in stride, as it were.
                          Starman

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, I know first hand what kids are capable of doing when moms not looking with their ponies. I had told my 5 yr old daughter to hand graze her small pony while I cleaned the stall. Next thing I hear her calling "Hey mom, look". I turned to see her sitting on the pony backwards, just a halter and lead. Well, she got agood explanation about how dangerous that was. Another occasion, I told her once again to
                            hand graze pony while I cleaned the stall, I hear "Hey mom, look." As I turned around to look, she had gotten on the pony with just halter and lead rope and started trotting to the hay room which had a 2 ft step into it. As I take off after her yelling at her to stop, they jump into the hay room and out of sight. When I arrive at the hay room, pony is standing there eatiing hay of course and my daughter is laughing and smiling at the near stroke she just gave me.
                            But I would never tell my child to get under her pony or in any other dangerous postiion just for a Kodak moment.

Comment

Too bad no one took a picture of your daughter doing those things tirnanog; if they had, we could have talked about you, instead of the unnamed seller of the white pony, by name.

I am, on the other hand, horrified by pictures of starved horses, abused horses, starved children, abused children, and sometimes even by a very scary jumping picture.

Comment

Oh sweet bejayzus, who died and made people the Sale Ad Photo Police?

Comment

I know that in this day and age, it is considered PC to wrap our kids in bubblewrap whenever possible... they can't ride bikes, skateboard or, God Forbid, be around our horses without a boatload of protective equipment.

Having come from a different era, when we rode our ponies pell mell through the woods, jumping whatever we could find, swimming them in the lake and so forth... I don't mind these photos and would LOVE to have a pony quiet enough for the kids to crawl all over (or under) without incident.
                                  We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                  -PaulaEdwina

Comment

"Country: Montana"

And I'm with Coreene on this one. Do people have nothing better to do than surf the net for sales ads to mock?

She's a pretty little mare, they bought her out of a meat auction, have given her what sounds like three really good years. So what if the mare is so quiet that a child can safely get under her? I wouldn't dare do this with a strange horse but I *might* try it with my own.
                                    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

You mean, there are people out there who HAVEN'T tried this with their own horses??

OK, I can't say as I have ever tried putting my head between the horse's knees from under his belly. I don't fit down there that well anymore anyway. But go under the belly? Sure! Put my head down on the ground an inch away from his hoof to get a darn good look at that cut on his heel... absolutely! I'm not saying it's always necessarily a GOOD idea, but I do a lot of things that aren't good ideas.

I mean, come on. It's a pony. It's so busy eating grass you could probably set off firecrackers under its butt and it wouldn't move.

True story. I grew up in a very suburban neighborhood and kept horses at home. I used to "trail ride" my TB/App eventer around the neighborhood, and would often go over to my old elementary school and walk around the perimeter of the soccer fields while we cooled out in the summer. Very unobtrusively... half the time people didn't even notice us.

One night, we were walking along and there was a pee wee soccer practice going on -- so there's about a dozen or so 6-7-year-olds whacking balls around. A full soccer field away. One of them looks up, points, hollers "IT'S A HORSE!!!!" and the ENTIRE TEAM comes RUNNING across the field toward us. Rocky freezes and his eyes start to get REAL big, but he stays put. The little kids swarm all around him and are jabbering away and petting him, and he is being a VERY good sport. I am trying to watch what 12 kids are doing and politely saying "Watch out for your toes! Be careful with your fingers near his mouth!" I turn around, and realize that one kid is HANGING off his tail. Full on leaning back with all of his weight (all 40 pounds of it or whatever) on the poor horse's tail. Another kid climbed between his legs to see if he was ticklish by petting his belly.

He never moved. And this was a 16-hand tank of a horse that was fit enough for preliminary horse trials.

Made me damn glad that I did stupid stuff like that to that horse on a regular basis.

Comment

I'm with Coreene as well. I wouldn't let my daughter but she has! A couple of weeks ago my daughter had Star in the cross ties. I went in the feed room for all of 5 seconds and came back to find Jordan sitting on the floor under Star picking out her udder. Star didn't bat an eye. I reprimanded Jordan but secretly was very pleased with Star. She has yet to give me reason to doubt her. I was wondering about her teats as well. But Stars are fairly large and she is most definitely not pregnant. She may have had alot of babies in her past??

Comment

Working...
                                        X