• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

ATTENTION ship in clients....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTENTION ship in clients....

When it is winter... and you pay a certain flat fee to 'ship in' and use the indoor... please DO NOT do the following.

1) Place your inexperienced student on 'too much' horse. Then... bellow at them for 60 minutes whilst they careen around the arena crashing into regular boarding clients, walls, jump piles, green horses, other green riders, etc.

2) Tell your clients to park their horses in wash stalls for an hour... or two... so that client can then return to arena to "watch" (above careen/crash session.)

3) Avail yourself of the opportunity to conduct an additional lecture session, after the riding session, while further loitering/clogging up doorways, the riding arena, wash stalls, driveways, etc.

4) Pile up jackets, coolers, shipping boots, bridles, etc on mouting blocks or jump standards to the extent that no one can even use them because there is so much crap piled up on them.

5) Please refrain from leaving multiple dunkin donuts cups or water bottles lying on the kick wall, on top of jump standards, underneath jumps, on top of jump rails, on mounting blocks, on dressage fencing, or (come on folks ) in muck buckets. Which you darned well know are meant for horse poop and the occasional piece of fruit. NOT for quart 'cups' of iced coffee or plastic Poland Spring water bottles.

Others are free to add to this list as necessary.
    "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

You can't send them an email or hand them the written rules when they get there? I think COTH is a pretty inefficient way to get the word out to your clients.
    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

While you're at it, please don't leave your horse's crap in the grass or the driveway where you parked. Nothing makes me madder than having to scoop up from where a horse was tied to a trailer and crapped and the owner didn't pick it up.

Comment

At an indoor I was affiliated with that we rented, we had existing Arena Rules and all renters had to sign, as did all their riders along with the liability release, etc (or the parents if they were minors). Then it is up to the barn manager to enforce.
        "The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli"

Comment

And people wonder why I only allow haul-ins that actually lesson with me...the stress just isn't worth it!
          Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Attention boarders: We ship in clients pay a haul in fee and thus we are allowed to use the bathroom, crossties, and wash rack. We are respectful of the boarders and think that they belong first.

However, asking us to remove our horse from the washrack so you can fill a feed pan with water and then walk away to talk to someone for 30 minutes is a jerk move. You couldn't wait the 4 minutes it took to finish tacking up the horse? OR use the other washrack 10 feet away?
            Last edited by enjoytheride; Jan. 12, 2014, 07:19 PM.
            http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

ugh!! it is a situation such that nobody wins
              The boarders feel like the ship ins are invaders. They feel that the ship ins are invading their turf, using their facilities and getting all the best of the facility without having to pay the monthly board fee for the privilege.

The ship ins feel that they are entitled to use the facility, including the ring, wash stall, crossties, etc. AND they are because they paid the fee. They feel that the boarders should share nicely with them.

The problem is that nobody likes to share or be inconvenienced, and that is what both groups have trouble doing (just in general) and needs to be addressed. I am not sure how, because even if everyone signs the rules and procedures of the stable, there is still going to be gray areas as to taking too long in the wash stall or cross ties, putting stuff all around or where it doesnt belong according to the host barn population, just general flow of horses and people inside and outside the arena.

Comment

ugh!! it is a situation such that nobody wins
                The boarders feel like the ship ins are invaders. They feel that the ship ins are invading their turf, using their facilities and getting all the best of the facility without having to pay the monthly board fee for the privilege.

The ship ins feel that they are entitled to use the facility, including the ring, wash stall, crossties, etc. AND they are because they paid the fee. They feel that the boarders should share nicely with them.

The problem is that nobody likes to share or be inconvenienced, and that is what both groups have trouble doing (just in general) and needs to be addressed. I am not sure how, because even if everyone signs the rules and procedures of the stable, there is still going to be gray areas as to taking too long in the wash stall or cross ties, putting stuff all around or where it doesnt belong according to the host barn population, just general flow of horses and people inside and outside the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post
                  Attention boarders: We ship in clients pay a haul in fee and thus we are allowed to use the bathroom, crossties, and wash rack. We are respectful of the boarders and think that they belong first.

However, asking us to remove our horse from the washrack so you can fill a feed pan with water and then walk away to talk to someone for 30 minutes is a jerk move. You couldn't wait the 4 minutes it took to finish tacking up the horse? OR use the other washrack 10 feet away?
                  washrack? really?
                  Originally posted by BigMama1
                  Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                  GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                    washrack? really?
                    I'm a little confused by your question.

I do agree that the clients the OP talked about should not be invited back.

Comment

Those people should not be invited back. Your place, your rules.
                      ~Veronica
                      "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                      http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

I assume the ship-in's were contacted and told the problems and rules violations. How did they respond?

Comment

I'm a little confused by your question.

I do agree that the clients the OP talked about should not be invited back.
                          oh, sorry, but to me a ship in client does not need to have use of the wash rack.
                          And if you can't deal without cross ties, maybe more horsemanship classes are in order.

am always amazed how we used to rough it, even in the 'nice' barns....I had the only tie place at my uncles, in front of my stall...any other day it doubled as the place the farrier tied the horse up at (the helper held the hoof, not the horse...)

Some of the stuff wasn't too bad (I do get mean as I age, a pile of crap on the mounting block could quickly turn into a pile of crap behind the mounting block)

But leaving trash around, the more I scout the more it annoys me. I think - again, getting meaner every day - I would have made it known right then: your mother does not work here. Pic your sh*t up and put it away....
                          GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

oh, sorry, but to me a ship in client does not need to have use of the wash rack.
                            And if you can't deal without cross ties, maybe more horsemanship classes are in order.

am always amazed how we used to rough it, even in the 'nice' barns....I had the only tie place at my uncles, in front of my stall...any other day it doubled as the place the farrier tied the horse up at (the helper held the hoof, not the horse...)

Some of the stuff wasn't too bad (I do get mean as I age, a pile of crap on the mounting block could quickly turn into a pile of crap behind the mounting block)

But leaving trash around, the more I scout the more it annoys me. I think - again, getting meaner every day - I would have made it known right then: your mother does not work here. Pic your sh*t up and put it away....
                            In some places, the only allowed place to tie a horse for tacking up is in crossties, so I can see why someone might use the wash rack for that if all other crossties are occupied.
                            America dialed 911. Donald Trump answered the phone.

Stop pumping money into colleges and start getting ready to earn money in the projected tradesman shortage of 2024. Make Trades Great Again!

Comment

I think the operative word here is "client". At my former barn the trainer had people who shipped in on a regular basis - weekly, monthly, quarterly - for lessons. We also had regular local horse people who shipped in to use the facility - schooling before a show, indoor use in winter- and the occasional outside trainer bringing their students on a field trip to expose horses and riders to a different facility. The first group , "clients" were allowed all the privileges of a boarder; wash stall, cross ties even a stall if bringing more than one horse if they wished so a hot horse didn't have to stand on the trailer. The other two groups, "ship-ins" only had access to the rings. Management required advance notice so that ship-ins would not conflict with lessons and posted when they would be there. As trainer/borders had a fairly regular schedule conflicts were few. Plus, management knew who was there when in the event of damage.

Comment

The wash rack at our barn uses cross ties. If someone ships in and they wish to rinse off their horse they will use the wash rack and cross tie their horse. What's the problem??

Comment

I think it depends on the barn and the facilities, whenever I ship in I tack up at the trailer and load the horse I am not riding back on the trailer when I am working the other horse. If the wash rack were to be needed then it would be respectful to ask permission as presumably it is not a part of the facilities (the arena) that is being rented; of permission is granted it would be sensible to not loiter.

I am now working a horse at this barn, so things change a little on the days that the horse is in work because most of my tack is already in the barn for the other horse. In that case I do bring in my horse to be tacked, though there is no standing around, all my things are tidily placed where they belong for the duration of my stay. Any manure that is produced during this time is picked up and placed in the nearest much bucket for that use. grooming areas are swept clean.

I think that this is the best way to be respectful. I always arrange times that boarders are not likely to use the facility so as to avoid any space conflicts and not inconvenience the boarders. I am aware that I am a guest and if I wish to remain so then I should be respectful. If jumps, cavelleti, or other equipment is moved or changed for my convenience then it is put back to where it was. I do not think this is too much to ask and would expect the same if someone were to come to my farm.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
                                    The wash rack at our barn uses cross ties. If someone ships in and they wish to rinse off their horse they will use the wash rack and cross tie their horse. What's the problem??
                                    Like I said, I grew up roughing it.
                                    Wash stalls were a luxury, I don't think anybody had. There might have been a hose to use (sparingly) and no place to tie.
                                    But barns where also rather detached from the arena, so making your way there to park your horse would not have made sense.

In case you wondered: We managed to rinse off horses with sponge and bucket, after we tacked, worked and untacked without the benefit of a barn at the small race track.
                                    GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Ah, I see. I've never shipped in to a barn that didn't let me use a stall or the crossties/wash rack. I've tied to the trailer because it was easier but if the weather is bad it's nice to be inside, I take the stall I'm given and I always clean it out before I leave. If I get a stall then I just tack up in there, and I'm fine using a hose outside but this barn only had wash racks which are used as grooming areas when all the other crossties are occupied.

I don't mind moving my horse so a boarder can have primary use of the facilities, but in this case the boarder didn't actually use the wash rack for another 20 minutes.

I've also had another boarder ask me to move to another set of crossties because their horse "liked" the one I was in better. Never do that again.

Comment

I've also had another boarder ask me to move to another set of crossties because their horse "liked" the one I was in better. Never do that again.
                                        Some people
                                        I once hauled in to a BNT clinic and asked if it was Ok to use crossties to tack up.
                                        One boarder told me "Yes", then after I had my horse in the ties, another Diva rushed over, all wide-eyed, to tell me "Those are Insert-Resident-Trainer's crossties!"

I had to bite my tongue to not tell her I didn't see either RT or any of her horses using them for the 10minutes it would take me to be done.
                                        Way to treat a guest.....

FWIW:
                                        If I'm anywhere off my property with a horse I ALWAYS pick up after them - I carry a muck bucket & fork in my trailer just for that purpose.
                                        I have also trailered in with horse already tacked up in the trailer or tacked up while tied to the trailer in decent weather.
                                        Also try to be out ASAP when finished with the lesson/clinic/show/whatever reason I am in another's barn.
                                        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                                        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                                        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                                        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Working...
                                        X