• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Trial purchase/PPE contact question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial purchase/PPE contact question

Situation: Seller hauling horse to the vet for PPE. If horse "passes", buyer will hand money order over for purchase price and horse will come to the farm for a 10 day trial to ensure suitable. If not suitable, seller has to come get the horse.

Question: at what point should buyer assume liability?

a) When the horse leaves the seller's yard?
    b) when the horse arrives at the vet clinic?
    c) When the payment is received by the seller?
    d) When the horse is delivered to the farm?

At what point should the liability return to the seller if horse is deemed unsuitable?
    1) When horse fails the vet?
    2) When seller notified the horse is unsuitable?
    3) Until horse is back at seller's yard?

The proposed contract implies the seller has mortality insurance and major medical, but we are going to confirm that is the case for sure.

I also need to figure out at what point we need to insure the horse vs her insurance covering mortality/medical, but that may be a question for our insurance company.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

I purchased a horse recently where I assumed liability as soon as the seller received my payment. As a note, I didn't request a trial period, but I did board with the seller for a short period of time until I could move to horse to my barn. I worked with the insurance company to have a new policy started in my name at the same time the seller cancelled their policy. The insurance company was on board with both transactions so they could make sure there was no loss of coverage should something have gone awry.

As a buyer, I wouldn't assume liability for anything until I had paid for it. I'm also the type that doesn't want to take things on trial for exactly that reason. Should I find the horse unsuitable and then something goes horribly wrong, I don't want to be stuck with bills on something I am not keeping. I think you can get around that sort of thing however with a carefully worded contract. I'm sure other COTH'ers could make suggestions.

Comment

Absent contractual agreement or special circumstances the person in possetion of the horse bears the risk of loss.

G.
      Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

If it were me, I would have insurance for the moment the horse is in my care and control (the day the horse gets on trailer for ppe) to the moment the horse gets on trailer to go home with the seller.

Comment

C - as soon as money changes hands, the horse is legally yours.

3 - the horse remains legally yours until you get your money back, which I'm assuming would be when the horse is returned to the seller if the horse doesn't work out.
          "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Originally posted by JRG View Post
            If it were me, I would have insurance for the moment the horse is in my care and control (the day the horse gets on trailer for ppe) to the moment the horse gets on trailer to go home with the seller.
            The seller is trucking the horse to the PPE, so technically the OP does not have care and control over the horse when it's on the trailer on the way to the PPE.

If the horse "passes" and the OP decides to buy, the horse is under the care and control of the OP once money changes hands.
            "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

• Original Poster

I have a message with my insurance company...without the PPE I don't even think we CAN put insurance on him, so the seller will have to accept that we won't assume the risk until the PPE is complete.

The other end of the agreement still concerns me though...mostly if we decide to return him, and the seller can't/won't pick him up in a timely manner and something happens to him beyond our control while we are waiting for her to come get him. I had a horse come in on trial once before get more or less abandoned here before (I managed to find a buyer for it), so I am a little paranoid.

the contract states he has to be returned in the same condition (which is fair), but is the date he is returned the date we notify her he isn't working out, or is it the date she actually comes to get him? (Seller lives over an hour away)

Comment

I mis-read, I thought the money had changed hands in good faith prior to the ppe. In the past I have had a horse insured while on trial pending ppe.
                As far as the seller picking the horse up, I too would be specific to pick up in the contract. But I would still have the horse insured as long as he/she was with me.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JRG View Post
                  I mis-read, I thought the money had changed hands in good faith prior to the ppe. In the past I have had a horse insured while on trial pending ppe.
                  As far as the seller picking the horse up, I too would be specific to pick up in the contract. But I would still have the horse insured as long as he/she was with me.
                  How did you get insurance without a vet check/certificate?

Planning to keep the insurance on, but I am talking about something that insurance wouldn't cover such as horse wacks his knee on the waterer and has a big knee...in the contract we would be liable...but I don't want that liability to extend on forever in the event the seller waits a long time to pick him up.

Do you think it would be fair to limit our liability to 12 days from his arrival (it is a 10 day trial)? And to charge her board starting 7 days after notice he wasn't working out?

Comment

Yes. That is fair.

That detail was something I put in the lease proposal for my gelding...because his future soundness is uncertain, I said that I had to come and pick him back up by the end of the current board period...I didn't want you stuck forever with an unuseable gelding.

7 days is completely fair for someone who lives less than 2 hours away, but limit your liability to the day you start charging board...charging board makes it clear that you are not interested in the horse, it is HERS. Anything that happens while she delays to come and get him is her financial responsibility.
                    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by CHT View Post
                      How did you get insurance without a vet check/certificate?

Planning to keep the insurance on, but I am talking about something that insurance wouldn't cover such as horse wacks his knee on the waterer and has a big knee...in the contract we would be liable...but I don't want that liability to extend on forever in the event the seller waits a long time to pick him up.

Do you think it would be fair to limit our liability to 12 days from his arrival (it is a 10 day trial)? And to charge her board starting 7 days after notice he wasn't working out?
                      When I bought my horse (and did so with a trial) I was able to get a policy from the insurance company for this purpose (trial periods, I think it was a 15 or 30 day policy or something)- did not need a vet record, we insured him for his purchase price. I paid for the policy, which started prior to horse leaving seller's farm, but the seller was to be the beneficiary if something went wrong. I did the PPE at my trainer's barn during the trial after I was confident I wanted to go through with the sale and when the money changed hands and I received the bill of sale the insurance policy was changed to a full policy in my name. It worked out well for all involved. Check with the insurance company you plan to use to see if they offer this type of policy.

Comment

Originally posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
                        C - as soon as money changes hands, the horse is legally yours.

3 - the horse remains legally yours until you get your money back, which I'm assuming would be when the horse is returned to the seller if the horse doesn't work out.
                        This is a simple answer. It's also a wrong answer.

"Risk of loss" and "ownership" are not one and the same. For example, when you board your horse with a public stable they don't own your horse but may well be responsible if the horse is lost. When you ship your horse on a common carrier they don't own the horse but may be responsible if the horse is lost. If you let a friend ride your horse and the horse is lost they may be responsible for the loss. There are lots of similar circumstances.

I'd contact a competant equine insurance broker, present the question, and then follow their advice.

G.
                        Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, I remember enough from my Commercial law class to know that the timing of actual change of ownership over something is anything by simple, hence the need for a thorough contract...but at the same time I don't want to scare the seller by an overly complex contract.

Comment

http://www.equisure-inc.com

Call Equisure. I believe they insure horses up to $50,000 without a PPE.

Good luck!

Comment

I agree that it is wise to keep the contract simple but you do need to include the details of what will happen if you decide the horse is unsuitable. I would specify the duration of the trial period, and then also the time period for the seller to pick the horse up if it is not deemed suitable, and then exactly what will happen if the seller does NOT pick the horse up, whether it is then okay to engage a professional hauler or charge board, etc.

Personally, if I took a horse on trial, I probably would consider it my responsibility to return the horse to the seller's property and ensure that it got there in the same condition. Offering a trial is a nice benefit to the buyer so I think it is fair for the buyer to take responsibility for the return if things don't work out. I also think that for the buyer to take control of the return helps prevent the concern that you have. I also would be wary about relying on a seller to come take a horse back that failed a trial, because I would not want to risk having an extended period of responsibility for the animal, and typically the liability of the trial buyer doesn't end until the horse is returned to the seller's custody in the same condition as when it left. I think it is hard to say "Well, I don't want the horse so now it isn't my responsibility any more" when it still is in your possession.

Comment

• Original Poster

Seller offered to look after all hauling...that works for me as they are far away!

We narrowed down our responsibility to when we hand the seller the money (after the PPE, before delivery to my place) and to up to seven days after we tell her he isn't working out (she will be charged board and be responsible for him after that). The trial is only 10 days long. She seems reasonable, but I want to make sure it is all clearly laid out!

Comment

Here's an article I wrote on the subject of "risk of loss" in equine sales:
                                  http://www.equinelawblog.com/Risk-of...e-Sale-Lawsuit

I'm a firm believer in using a thorough contract.

-- Law and Horse Sense

Comment

How about you set it up with Seller that they assume they will pick up the horse at X time on Day 10 or Day 11? The Buyer calls Seller to tell them the horse has worked out, they are keeping the horse and cancels the pick-up appointment. This way Seller already has the pick-up scheduled as an appointment.

Put a board rate in the contract if the horse is not picked up by Day 13 or 14, in case of inclement weather or other circumstances that cause cancellation of the scheduled pick-up. I would also put in a flat dollar rate that will cover return shipping by Buyer if Seller repeatedly fails to show up and Buyer needs to arrange return shipping.
                                    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

Working...
                                    X