• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

WWYD? Vet asks for help holding someone else's horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWYD? Vet asks for help holding someone else's horse

I was put in a very uncomfortable spot the other day. I was just leaving the barn, and a guy I don't know pulls up in a truck. He says he's boarder X's vet and asked if I would be able to help hold her horse while he gives a shot. He says he lives with boarder X and he gives semi-regular joint injections. He also said he tends to show up whenever he can and often boarder X can't be there when he is.

I'm new to the barn and the area and have never met this boarder. I do know her name and which horse belongs to her. I have no idea if he gets joint injections. The guy has a pick up truck in good condition, with a big coverall type thing on the back that could have conceivably held vet supplies. It looked like something a legitimate mobile vet would drive. He was polite and tidy and seemed to know what he was talking about.

He and I were the only ones on the property at the time, so I couldn't ask the owner. I didn't have contact information for boarder X so I couldn't ask her. I was uncomfortable saying no and walking away, because I had no real reason to doubt what he was saying and being new to the area I didn't want to start off on the wrong foot by insulting a vet. But of course I was also uncomfortable handling someone else's horse without permission, especially someone I've never met before, and especially for a shot.

What would you have done?

I would've helped, but I'm also not paranoid about things like that.

Comment

That's kind of odd.

I probably would have called up the BO or BM and let them know what was going on. It's not really your job to help.

I would have said something along the lines of "Gosh, I'm really sorry, I have to make an appointment, but let me give so-and-so a call for you." Unless you wanted to help.

Stuff like this is why I always hang contact numbers on my horse's stall door and make it clear that anybody can call me at anytime for anything involving my girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Tha Ridge View Post
        I would've helped, but I'm also not paranoid about things like that.
        Ditto this.

Comment

I agree that is kind of an odd thing and I can see how you felt uncomfortable, being new to the barn and not knowing the horse or its owner. The vet needs to get an assistant!

Have you spoken to the BO/BM/horse owner since? Just to make sure everything was kosher?

You could also ask for a card and play it off like you might be looking for a vet. Just to make sure he is legitimately a vet.

I also have my name/number on my horse's stall and encourage people to call me for anything.
          http://www.lucysquest.blogspot.com

Custom Painted Saddle Pads and Ornaments

Comment

I would have helped also and then made sure to tell the horse's owner later. Something like, "Oh I held your horse for the vet yesterday and then I had this disturbing thought, what if he wasn't really your vet? He was your vet, right?"

That way you make yourself happy. I'm sure it was her vet. The odds of some ne'er do well identifying himself and then doing something so obscure as an injection... the odds are long.
            "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

If I had been there boarding for some time, I probably would've helped. But, if it were me in your situation - being the new boarder - I would've gracefully declined.
              “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Superminion View Post
                It's not really your job to help.
                What a strange thing to say.

It's not really my job to slow down for old people crossing the road, or to pick up lost dogs, or render first aid, or call people if I see their horse got injured, or pick up litter, or call 911 if I see your house is on fire, but there a whole lot of helpful things that are part of not being an ass and are therefore part of everybody's role in being a member of a community.

Comment

It really is a tough situation to be put in. Horse owners are a weird bunch and what one horse owner has no issue with the next goes off the deep end about. If you do not know the horse owner or the vet it is hard to guess what type of situation you might be getting yourself into. What if Dobbin's owner is the type that posts on here about never ever wanting anyone but the BO/BM touching their horse?

Comment

Originally posted by tangledweb View Post

It's not really my job to slow down for old people crossing the road, or to pick up lost dogs, or render first aid, or call people if I see their horse got injured, or pick up litter, or call 911 if I see your house is on fire, but there a whole lot of helpful things that are part of not being an ass and are therefore part of everybody's role in being a member of a community.
                    Totally not the same thing. (And it IS your job to slow down for pedestrians in the road.)

I would have called the barn owner. It is THEIR job to help, and any vet that NEEDS assistance but shows up without an tech and without making arrangements with the BO or owner to hold the horse is not someone I would want to help either.

I'd definitely be contacting the BO to follow up on the horse now. And to give my opinion about not wanting to be put in these situations, and how to handle this in the future since you do not want to be responsible for holding a boarder's horse for the vet.

Comment

I would have helped, too. But, I also went down the road with my vet to another client's barn to help hold a fruit loop horse for him because the owner wasn't going to be there and he needed a hand.

Comment

Originally posted by tangledweb View Post

I guess I didn't communicate that properly.

The OP was on her way out and somebody she doesn't know rolls up and asks her to hold a strange horse for injections she's not sure if the horse even gets. IMO that's why the barn has an owner or a manager that gets paid to handle these situations. Injections are not a life or death thing and if the vet lived with the horse's owner, they can come back and do them at a later time together.

Perhaps if the OP had put in a call to the BO/BM, they could have confirmed the story and then the OP could have chosen if she felt comfortable handling the horse or not. I don't think that that is a bad solution and if I were the horse owner I would fully understand if somebody said no to holding my mare.

Yes, it would have been helpful for the OP to hold the horse, but there is no harm in asking the BO/BM to come handle the situation either as it, understandably, made the OP uncomfortable.

Comment

If it was a vet I knew and knew the horse was their 'patient', it might be a different story.

But at a new barn with a horse I don't even know and a stranger claiming to be a vet? I would call the BO and leave it up to them to handle and apologize to the vet that I really can't hold the horse for him. I would not feel comfortable in the situation described, either. Sure, the vet is likely legit, but what if they aren't? Or what if something happens (horse spooks, whatever, and gets hurt) and I was the one holding them? Not a position I'd want to get stuck in.
                          The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
                          Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

Did the vet just give a vaccination or did he do joint injections? While, if I am on my way out, somebody needs a hand for a few minutes? OK. If they want to give a tranq, a local, swab and do joint injections? Not so much- that's more time then I am willing to give new in the barn or not.
                            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                              It really is a tough situation to be put in. Horse owners are a weird bunch and what one horse owner has no issue with the next goes off the deep end about. If you do not know the horse owner or the vet it is hard to guess what type of situation you might be getting yourself into. What if Dobbin's owner is the type that posts on here about never ever wanting anyone but the BO/BM touching their horse?
                              This is what I was thinking. Or God forbid something went wrong with the shot or the horse got loose or panicked and injured itself; I don't know his owner at all and have no idea if she's overly protective and/or crazy. I certainly don't want the liability if something were to happen, especially since I didn't have the horse owner's permission to handle her horse.

ETA: exactly, analise. We must have cross posted.
                              findeight: I'm NOT an injections expert so don't quote me, but I think he said it was an IV Legend shot. It went in the neck.

Comment

Y'all are thinking to much and wadding your panties… with the comparison to helping little old ladies across the street or not.

Meh…. I'd help and probably mention it to the HO. IMO, it's not my job to do security and ID checks and such for another HO. But I'll help a vet restrain a horse if he's short handed…. knowing, of course, that I need to take responsibility for my own safety. I do what I can (some restraint, not hard-core stuff with someone else's tough and unknown horse for free). I don't do what I can't: check out vet guy's story or have anything to do with the quality of his vet work.

In short, if I'm around and I can help with a job, I will. That's how I was raised. I get skeevy if I see others working and I'm princess-ing it up just watching.
                                The armchair saddler
                                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

But OP was not going to watch, she was done and leaving so its a little different. Also depends on what vet was doing, shot takes 5 min, joint injections 30+.
                                  When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I would never handle another person's horse without their permission unless there was an absolute emergency and no one else was around. So even if the guy could prove he was the vet I wouldn't do it. Too much liability. The barn staff or the horse owner needs to hold the horse, or else the horse owner needs to plan ahead and ask someone else to do it.
                                    Flickr

Comment

If I knew horse and owner and knew that horse got joint injections, yes. If I didn't know horse/owner, but horse needed treatment for something urgent and life threatening(colic, major injury, etc), I would hold horse/assist vet while getting ahold of BM/BO and horse owner. Joint injections are not treatment that need to be done RIGHT NOW !! I don't think they are worth the risk of handling a horse you don't know without owners knowledge/permission. Applying pressure bandage, starting IV or tubing are worth the risk IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
                                        Meh…. I'd help and probably mention it to the HO. IMO, it's not my job to do security and ID checks and such for another HO. But I'll help a vet restrain a horse if he's short handed…. knowing, of course, that I need to take responsibility for my own safety. I do what I can (some restraint, not hard-core stuff with someone else's tough and unknown horse for free). I don't do what I can't: check out vet guy's story or have anything to do with the quality of his vet work.
                                        Exactly.

And as another poster said, the odds of someone impersonating a vet to come in a give a random horse joint injections... Really?

Comment

Working...
                                        X